SoFi Stadium and Home Field Advantage

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
One thing I am hoping is that the new stadium is LOUD. And I have to think the Rams, assuming it is with all that sound bouncing back off the ceiling, will be very tough to beat at home with that defense keying on offenses that are using hand signals to communicate. The angle of the roof should feed that sound straight back down and cook it good until it's like an oven for opposing offenses. It should really be something man. In fact I think the way the Rams have consistently played on the road under McVay that they're going to be very high win percentage at home and put up a really high win total this year overall. They should be in the running for home field advantage.

And then the Super Bowl of course is in SoFi too. We might be looking at a significant advantage if we go all the way this season as some of us expect. :horns::cool::horns:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
One thing I am hoping is that the new stadium is LOUD. And I have to think the Rams, assuming it is with all that sound bouncing back off the ceiling, will be very tough to beat at home with that defense keying on offenses that are using hand signals to communicate. The angle of the roof should feed that sound straight back down and cook it good until it's like an oven for opposing offenses. It should really be something man. In fact I think the way the Rams have consistently played on the road under McVay that they're going to be very high win percentage at home and put up a really high win total this year overall. They should be in the running for home field advantage.

And then the Super Bowl of course is in SoFi too. We might be looking at a significant advantage if we go all the way this season as some of us expect. :horns::cool::horns:

I wonder how loud it might get? It’s recessed into the ground too... like a megaphone cone or something...

Sure seems like it could be a very loud stadium!

Beavis And Butthead 90S Tv GIF

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Does that plexiglass shit they use absorb sound at all? Man I hope not. :alol:

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Does that plexiglass shit they use absorb sound at all? Man I hope not. :alol:
Remember, you’ll have put down your Chardonnay and cheese to really clap for a Rams TD!

bluecoconuts

Legend
I think that stadium is going to be loud as shit when the fans are getting into it.

LA fans are under the radar when it comes to their loudness. They don't get nearly as much recognition as they should.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think that stadium is going to be loud as shit when the fans are getting into it.

LA fans are under the radar when it comes to their loudness. They don't get nearly as much recognition as they should.
Awesome avatar there BC. Diggin it! (y)

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

The Coliseum is not much for building on fan noise. I remember being there in the 70s with a packed stadium and you could hardly hear the fans on the other side of the stadium. People around us were rocking and you could tell it was the same looking across.

When we went to the last opening game in the Lou, it was MAYBE half full yet it was louder than I EVER heard the Coliseum.

Its not that LA fans don't make noise. Sofi is going to be rockin'.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Remember, you’ll have put down your Chardonnay and cheese to really clap for a Rams TD!
LA fans as seen around the league:
giphy.gif

Other teams fans as seen around the league:
giphy.gif

Hope that shit changes in 2020 lol.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Ok so looking into EFTE loudness in stadiums Minnesota comes up. And according to many lists from 2020 that was a top ten loudest stadium. And in fact in this article they claim "U.S. Bank Stadium could be the loudest stadium Minnesota has ever seen. The Vikings say noise bounces off its glass-like roof more than it did from the Metrodome’s fabric roof. Plus, the new stadium can hold 6,000 more fans."

Oh and: "According to ESPN, the loudest single moment during the Vikings’ very first preseason game at U.S. Bank Stadium measured at 114 decibels of sound. That’s noise that is nearly 100 times more intense than the volume at the average NFL stadium. And, it means you’ll notice that a game played at U.S. Bank Stadium sounds about 4 times louder than one played just about anywhere else."

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
I have a hunch the Rams will finally have a home field advantage in 2021.

Looking forward to seeing a packed stadium that cheers loud and proud for the home team Rams.

large-crowd-in-stadium-grandstand-vector-id165961614

gk1possgpjwvufz2hum2

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Yeah, I vaguely remember the subject of "crowd noise" came up in discussion during construction of SoFi. Can't remember the details, but I remember them promising that crowd noise would definitely be way better than at the Coliseum.

If they're gonna spend 5B on a new stadium, it sure as hell better provide great acoustics and a great home field advantage, and yes, that was definitely a consideration during the design plans.

As I recall, the sunken stadium and the EFTE roof would significantly amplify the sound, but the open air on the sides would slightly diminish it. Bottom line, SoFi will amplify noise way better than the Coliseum, but maybe not quite as much as a 100% fully enclosed structure like the TWA Dome.

Last edited:

oldnotdead

Legend
All modern stadiums are designed to enhance the noise levels. For those with delicate hearing it probably best to bring hearing protection.....or not. That roof will bounce the sound right back directly onto the field. First thing I noticed was the arching concave nature of the roof, like a dish that would focus the sound back down onto the field. I'd be deaf by the end of a game. The breezeway nature will have minimal affect IMO. IMO it's not only for ventilation but to allow sound that can't be directed on to the field to end up in the parking lot to set off car alarms LOL.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
Would be cool if we could put together a ROD game this year out in the new stadium. I definitely want to make it out for at least one game this year. We did it years ago in St. Louis. Would be good to see some of you guys again.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Would be cool if we could put together a ROD game this year out in the new stadium. I definitely want to make it out for at least one game this year. We did it years ago in St. Louis. Would be good to see some of you guys again.

I'm so fucking pooper peeved about the fact I left Los Angeles right before SoFi opened, and since my "U.S. base" is now in the PNW and not SoCal, even when I'm Stateside in the offseason I can't go and check it out. One of these years I'm going to fly in for a weekend just to check out SoFi, so you bastards better make it a yearly thing.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Ok so looking into EFTE loudness in stadiums Minnesota comes up. And according to many lists from 2020 that was a top ten loudest stadium. And in fact in this article they claim "U.S. Bank Stadium could be the loudest stadium Minnesota has ever seen. The Vikings say noise bounces off its glass-like roof more than it did from the Metrodome’s fabric roof. Plus, the new stadium can hold 6,000 more fans."

Oh and: "According to ESPN, the loudest single moment during the Vikings’ very first preseason game at U.S. Bank Stadium measured at 114 decibels of sound. That’s noise that is nearly 100 times more intense than the volume at the average NFL stadium. And, it means you’ll notice that a game played at U.S. Bank Stadium sounds about 4 times louder than one played just about anywhere else."
Can confirm. I was there for the Rams beat down in 2017. That place is amazing and it ROCKS with volume. Especially when the Queens are winning like they were that damn day.

LA_Rams_#29

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
LA Rams 29
LA fans as seen around the league:
giphy.gif

Other teams fans as seen around the league:
giphy.gif

Hope that shit changes in 2020 lol.

The perception won't ever change. People get comfortable with ignorant uninformed opinions, and the fact that a good portion of the country is literally asleep when west coast Night games are finishing, means they'll literally never know the difference.

The Dodgers have led MLB in attendance for at least a decade, the Los Angeles region....multiple times a year can fill 2 different stadiums with 80K plus for college football games, on the same Saturday, I mean the Lakers at Staples Center speaks for itself.... as did Showtime era at the Forum.....the Lakers current local cable tv contract is worth more than some NFL team's entire valuation....

the facts have always contradicted the perception, but again, people get comfortable in their perception.

As far as the Coliseum.... I mean anyone who was there for the Chiefs Monday night game.....the Cowboys playoff game.... the Vikings Monday night game ... experienced a Coliseum that was as loud as it's ever been in it's almost century long history. I mean the Coliseum is as cavernous an open air stadium as exists, so a dome small enough to fit 2 domes inside the coliseum may sound louder, but the reality is the Coliseum on multiple national games showed the country that...to quote Joe Buck, the support of the Rams in Los Angeles is just fine.

SSL and ticket sales at SoFi have gone great, and the Los Angeles Rams will have a great home field advantage in the best stadium in the world

Reddog99

Pro Bowler
My wife and I were talking the other day about going to a Rams game at SOFI this year. Not sure which one yet but I hope everything works out to where we get to go cuz it will be the first time watching the Rams in person. Actually it'll be the first time watching any NFL game in person for us. Plus seeing SOFI for the first time and being in an NFL stadium for the first time will be a lot of fun. Probably a September or October game.