So who do we pick with the 2nd pick of the 2012 NFL draft?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Re: So who do we pick with the 2nd pick of the 2012 NFL draf

Justin Blackmon is nothing close to Calvin Johnson.

Calvin Johnson is a once in a decade player. The closest thing to him would be AJ Green, Blackmon is great but he's no Calvin Johnson.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer

bluecoconuts said:

Calvin Johnson is a once in a decade player. The closest thing to him would be AJ Green, Blackmon is great but he's no Calvin Johnson.

Yeah Blackmon is like Andre Johnson lite.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau

bluecoconuts said:

I'm curious to see how fast he is. I think he is a spectacular player though. On tape, he plays very fast and is very acrobatic, like Lloyd. He doesn't have the highest vert, but he has bid hands, long arms, and is a natural catcher of the ball. He looks like he's at least a 4.5 guy.

bluecoconuts

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

DR RAM said:
bluecoconuts said:

I'm curious to see how fast he is. I think he is a spectacular player though. On tape, he plays very fast and is very acrobatic, like Lloyd. He doesn't have the highest vert, but he has bid hands, long arms, and is a natural catcher of the ball. He looks like he's at least a 4.5 guy.

I think he's an amazing player too, a #1 receiver for sure, but guys like Calvin Johnson, and AJ Green you can just throw within 10 feet of them and they'll come down with it, even in Triple Coverage. Blackmon I think is a #1 talent, but I'm not taking him over AJ Green (because he was projected behind AJ Green in every mock draft last year before he announced he was staying in school) nor would I draft him over Calvin Johnson.

I love the guy, but I feel there are more pressing needs than WR right now, since we have Lloyd. If we didn't have Lloyd, then yeah Blackmon.

Angry Ram

bluecoconuts said:
DR RAM said:
bluecoconuts said:

I think he's an amazing player too, a #1 receiver for sure, but guys like Calvin Johnson, and AJ Green you can just throw within 10 feet of them and they'll come down with it, even in Triple Coverage. Blackmon I think is a #1 talent, but I'm not taking him over AJ Green (because he was projected behind AJ Green in every mock draft last year before he announced he was staying in school) nor would I draft him over Calvin Johnson.

I love the guy, but I feel there are more pressing needs than WR right now, since we have Lloyd. If we didn't have Lloyd, then yeah Blackmon.

I disagreed w/ Lesson on this too. WR is absolutely a top need.

Here's our guys, currently:

Lloyd- Good player, but he's had drops as well.
Gibson- Far too many drops, I think the Rams can do a lot better.
Pettis- Rookie, shown some flashes.
Miller- Just got here, hopefully can have a home here.
Curry- Pure ST player (an ace one @ at that).

Then the rest:

DX: He's always hurt, I think it may be best to cut ties instead of him keeping a roster spot over someone more reliable.
Amendola/Salas- They're good players, def. keepers. @ least Amendola's injury was on the arm, and not the leg which would've ben worse.
Clayton- Just don't know w/ his knees now.

There needs to be a complete overhaul. Guys who aren't gettin it done need to be replaced.

I'd say next year, if the Rams go WR w/ the 1st round pick: Lloyd, Blackmon/Jeffery, Amendola, Salas, Pettis/Clayton, Miller, Curry

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo

Maybe Morris Claibourne ends up in consideration- if Patrick Peterson can have this much of an impact as a rookie and I'm not an LSU follower but seen a few insights Morris is the man.

I hate even discussing this "stuff" already, literally.
Lloyd has to be resigned regardless.
I don't know any o-tackles that will be UFA's.
Do you go after a compliment to SJ w/ Richardson?
Do you go w/ the logical and commit another high picl on an offensive tackle? (I don't know how but Patriots and Bengals are two teams that come to mind that have a solid foundation and aside from Andre Smith-RT most were not high draft picls.

Wish you at least one more full season Billy D, Spags, McDaniels and Flajole

bluecoconuts

Legend

The biggest reason why I think we need to go o-line is because I feel it doesn't matter who we have at WR if Bradford doesn't have time to get them the ball.

I think the pick will come down between Kalil and Blackmon/Jeffery personally. It's going to depend on who the Rams feel they can have more potential with.

Do they feel that Saffold and Smith can bounce back and play to potential, and they can get a replacement guard (or keep Bell)? Or do they feel they can run with Lloyd as the #1, Pettis/Salas as the #2 (/4), with Amendola in the slot, as well as Kendricks bouncing back (he did pretty well today I felt)?

Maybe they feel there is a WR they can get in the 2nd or (gulp) 3rd, to help shake things up. It's hard to say, it's going to depend on how the team finishes the year and how much potential each group has to the coaching staff.

I don't care if we have all Randy Moss's, if Bradford doesn't have more than 2 second to throw the ball, we're not going to get anywhere. Saffold and Smith will both need to take big steps forward for that.

HeiseNBerg

Pro Bowler

Horns of Gold said:
When's the last time you saw a lineman's jersey? Blackmon sells tickets and keeps fans from jumping ship. If the Rams draft another OL #1, this ship I've been riding for 35 years is sunk as far as I'm concerned.

Any fan who jumps ship over a draft pick isn't much of a fan, to begin with.

You take the BEST PLAYER AVAILABLE, period -- jersey sales be damned!

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael

I think at this point, no matter what you think of Jason Smith, we need a tackle. If you have the next Joe Thomas sitting there (Ryan Kalil), you take him. I have absolutely no confidence that Smith can stay healthy for an entire season, and at a position as important as OT, you need someone you can count on. I'd take Kalil and move Saffold to RT.

If you resign Lloyd and Clayton along with a healthy Danny A, Salas, Pettis and Dx you have the makings of a pretty darn good WR core.

HeiseNBerg

Pro Bowler

brokeu91 said:
I think at this point, no matter what you think of Jason Smith, we need a tackle. If you have the next Joe Thomas sitting there (Ryan Kalil), you take him. I have absolutely no confidence that Smith can stay healthy for an entire season, and at a position as important as OT, you need someone you can count on. I'd take Kalil and move Saffold to RT.

If you resign Lloyd and Clayton along with a healthy Danny A, Salas, Pettis and Dx you have the makings of a pretty darn good WR core.

Totally agree on the OT situation -- I think the Rams may just have to cut bait with Jason Smith. Maybe they can sever ties with him via an injury settlement.

At any rate, offensive tackle is STILL a position of need, like it or not.

iBruce

Pro Bowler
Name
Cory

First off, I like Jeffery above Blackmon, but neither would rank ahead of Green/Jones from 2011 draft. Jeffery is close though.

I would go Alshon Jeffery, Alfonzo Dennard (Nebraska) and then Ben Jones (Georgia). Jones could play C or OG early on. Even if Jones goes earlier, Mike Brewster from Ohio St would work.

OUSamFan

UDFA

Hopefully, Broyles will be available in the 2nd or 3rd round as well. We know that he can catch Sam's passes.

bluecoconuts

Legend

OUSamFan said:
Hopefully, Broyles will be available in the 2nd or 3rd round as well. We know that he can catch Sam's passes.

Most project him as a 4th rounder, depending on his knee it could be lower. Depending on who is there, I would not be shocked if they picked him in the 4th round. I'm guessing we're looking at an OT, WR, DT, and OLB in the first four rounds, depending on who is there. So an OT in the first, DT in the second, OLB in the third, Broyles, if he's there in the 4th. Suddenly Sam has better protection, and a WR he's already comfortable with, on paper it's a slam dunk (again, depending on who is available, and how Broyles knee is).... Sounds good to me. We'll have to see when the season ends where we end up, then we can mock more. I always think it's fun no matter how we're doing, just to think about the future.

Angry Ram

bluecoconuts said:
OUSamFan said:

Most project him as a 4th rounder, depending on his knee it could be lower. Depending on who is there, I would not be shocked if they picked him in the 4th round. I'm guessing we're looking at an OT, WR, DT, and OLB in the first four rounds, depending on who is there. So an OT in the first, DT in the second, OLB in the third, Broyles, if he's there in the 4th. Suddenly Sam has better protection, and a WR he's already comfortable with, on paper it's a slam dunk (again, depending on who is available, and how Broyles knee is).... Sounds good to me. We'll have to see when the season ends where we end up, then we can mock more. I always think it's fun no matter how we're doing, just to think about the future.

I'm sorry, but as good as Broyles is, I don't want to take another WR w/ knee issues. Maybe in the 5th or 6th.

There's another option w/ FA, if we can somehow sign Reggie Wayne to a 3 year deal....can take Kalil (or even trade down) and do w/e after.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame

Angry Ram said:
bluecoconuts said:
OUSamFan said:

I'm sorry, but as good as Broyles is, I don't want to take another WR w/ knee issues. Maybe in the 5th or 6th.

There's another option w/ FA, if we can somehow sign Reggie Wayne to a 3 year deal....can take Kalil (or even trade down) and do w/e after.

I agree, 5 or 6 would be right for him now with the knee. And he's not the type WR we need. Danny A. and Salas fill that role.

bluecoconuts

Legend

Angry Ram said:
bluecoconuts said:
OUSamFan said:

It would depend on how healthy he is at the combine, etc. If the coaching staff feels he is good to go, then I would trust their judgement. If he's unable to work out at the combine, there's always a chance he could end up dropping to a low round or even go undrafted.

Angry Ram

bluecoconuts said:
Angry Ram said:
bluecoconuts said:
OUSamFan said:

It would depend on how healthy he is at the combine, etc. If the coaching staff feels he is good to go, then I would trust their judgement. If he's unable to work out at the combine, there's always a chance he could end up dropping to a low round or even go undrafted.

I still wouldn't like it, especially when it looks more like it'll be an early 4th round pick. Maybe last year, I wouldn't have minded.

Besides, if the FO is hellbent on Kalil, there's a lot of good FA WRs: Wayne, Vincent Jackson, DeSean Jackson (no!), Dwyane Bowe, Marques Colston, Steve Johnson, Steve Smith (Philly).

bluecoconuts

Legend

Angry Ram said:
bluecoconuts said:
Angry Ram said:
bluecoconuts said:
OUSamFan said:

I still wouldn't like it, especially when it looks more like it'll be an early 4th round pick. Maybe last year, I wouldn't have minded.

Besides, if the FO is hellbent on Kalil, there's a lot of good FA WRs: Wayne, Vincent Jackson, DeSean Jackson (no!), Dwyane Bowe, Marques Colston, Steve Johnson, Steve Smith (Philly).

Depending on how many of those guys hit the open market and their cost, I would probably rather get a vet to play opposite of Lloyd, because it's an easier adjustment than getting another rookie WR to throw into the fire to play right away.

superfan24

Starter

I'm not big on drafting another OT again, but if we do does anyone think BD (hopefully he's still around) will try to trade up in the late 1st to try to get Michael Floyd or another wr? Or are we just gonna stockpile picks and not try to trade? I think we are close and just have a few holes to fill, not a lot of holes. Then would look for a DT with the next couple picks.

Angry Ram

bluecoconuts said:
Angry Ram said:
bluecoconuts said:
Angry Ram said:
bluecoconuts said:
OUSamFan said:

Depending on how many of those guys hit the open market and their cost, I would probably rather get a vet to play opposite of Lloyd, because it's an easier adjustment than getting another rookie WR to throw into the fire to play right away.

Like AJ Green? :ww:

superfan24 said:
I'm not big on drafting another OT again, but if we do does anyone think BD (hopefully he's still around) will try to trade up in the late 1st to try to get Michael Floyd or another wr? Or are we just gonna stockpile picks and not try to trade? I think we are close and just have a few holes to fill, not a lot of holes. Then would look for a DT with the next couple picks.

I've been clamoring for this for a while now. The Rams need to win NOW and build for the future. Sacrificing a 1st round pick for next year and a later round pick for the current year for 2 instant, impact players.