(So sad): All indications' Rams will pass on Watkins

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RFIP

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
That's a combination of physical attributes. Tavon's combination of straight-line speed, change of direction ability, vision, burst, and hips combine to make him an elite "game-breaker".

Exactly. People keep trying to put this guy in a box as a wr, a slot guy, a this/that. he is a game breaking football player who already has scored as a wr, PR and RB...and he's just getting started.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
exactly my point - some guys have all the physical ability in the world, yet don't know how to make it translate into a weapon. The guys that can do that, are, game breakers.

Brian Dawkins was one of the best all purpose backs and had plenty of physical talent - but he was never the "game breaker" whom marshall faulk was, who is also a very similar type of back.

Brian Dawkins was a safety. Brian Westbrook was the HB. ;)

Okay but your point doesn't answer jjab's point about Watkins not having any elite physical attributes.

jjab360

Legend
exactly my point - some guys have all the physical ability in the world, yet don't know how to make it translate into a weapon. The guys that can do that, are, game breakers.

Brian Dawkins was one of the best all purpose backs and had plenty of physical talent - but he was never the "game breaker" whom marshall faulk was, who is also a very similar type of back.
tumblr_m87bmpXHwU1r1s7izo1_500.gif

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
"Sammy Watkins is a guy that I've watched from his freshman year at Clemson," Bruce told Wheeler. "... There weren't many players in the country that could really run up and down the field against a Florida State, and Sammy Watkins did that. He did it for three years straight. He was a player to be reckoned with. You could see the growth and you could tell that he was an ascending player.

Except the only stellar game he had against Florida State was his freshman year. The past two years, he had a COMBINED 14 catches for 92 yards (6.6 yards per catch) and a TD.

jjab360

Legend
LOL, keep talking my friend, its getting more and more comical.

Let us examine what a former Ram LEGEND has to say on the matter: "Bruce, the franchise's all-time receiving leader with 14,109 yards, sang his praises in a radio interview on Thursday with Kevin Wheeler of ESPN 101.1 FM in St. Louis.

"Sammy Watkins is a guy that I've watched from his freshman year at Clemson," Bruce told Wheeler. "... There weren't many players in the country that could really run up and down the field against a Florida State, and Sammy Watkins did that. He did it for three years straight. He was a player to be reckoned with. You could see the growth and you could tell that he was an ascending player.

"If I had the opportunity to take this guy, it would be hard for me to say no because I know this guy is going to be a game-breaker, he's going to be a difference-maker, something that we could use on our current offense."

Bruce said he believes that even early in Watkins' NFL career, the receiver will command double teams from opposing defenses, which would open up the field for the Rams' running game as well as Sam Bradford and his other speedy targets such as Tavon Austin and Chris Givens. <Geez, I wonder who else said EXACTLY this (as I pat myself on the back)

"He's a guy that you have to account for," Bruce said.

Watkins had a strong three-year career at Clemson, where he caught 240 passes for 3,391 yards, gained 3,730 yards from scrimmage and scored 28 touchdowns.

And this from Former NFL scout Russ Lande (Read carefully): "I love Watkins. I think he's a dynamic kid. He may be the most aggressive violent runner with the ball after the catch for a receiver I can remember. He does a great job of getting his shoulders down and everything.

FINAL VERDICT

Watkins could be exactly the kind of player the Rams have been missing all these years.

The Rams showed in the second half of last season that they want to run the ball and were effective with Zac Stacy doing it, but the lack of playmakers on the perimeter allowed the best defenses they faced to key on the running game and keep Stacy in check.

Adding a player like Watkins could help them take the next step in the rough and rugged NFC West.
Watkins is a good receiver, I actually have him 7th on my big board. I just wouldn't take him in the top 3 because there's 6 guys I think are better prospects. I've listed over and over the reasons why he's not higher, but seeing as you've failed to address any of them and chosen to rant and ignore reason, this discussion probably won't be getting anywhere anytime soon.

RFIP

jrry32 said: ↑
Except the only stellar game he had against Florida State was his freshman year. The past two years, he had a COMBINED 14 catches for 92 yards (6.6 yards per catch) and a TD.

Betting Clowney, he of the 3 sack final season, is on your top 6? That REALLY hurts.

iced

Brian Dawkins was a safety. Brian Westbrook was the HB. ;)

Okay but your point doesn't answer jjab's point about Watkins not having any elite physical attributes.

lmao thanks - i'm exhausted and haven't had much sleep. Kept chasing a certain a black lab/pit/retriever mix (asshole got out twice in the past 12 hours, spent atleast 4 looking for him and the rest sleeping...got out night before and again an hour after i crashed)

and I did address it - he does have a unique combination of size and speed. I'd call that elite.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
lmao thanks - i'm exhausted and haven't had much sleep. Kept chasing a certain a black lab/pit/retriever mix (arsehole got out twice in the past 12 hours, spent atleast 4 looking for him and the rest sleeping...got out night before and again an hour after i crashed)

and I did address it - he does have a unique combination of size and speed. I'd call that elite.

That's combining two attributes though. And I don't agree that it's elite.

My dog used to get out all the time. He was an escape artist. Built a series of tunnels under the fences in the backyards of our neighborhood until he reached the house with no fence. Every time we filled a hole, he created a new one.

Eventually, we just gave up and started letting him out the front door. He'd roam around for 15 or so minutes then come home and wait by the door to be let in.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Betting Clowney, he of the 3 sack final season, is on your top 6? That REALLY hurts.

Remind me what happened when Clowney's team played Watkins's team...every single year they were in college. :LOL:

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
The Broncos had all kinds of top receivers at WR, TE, and even an all-purpose RB in Moreno, and not to mention an all-time great QB.....how did they do against a team like Seattle?

If the Rams want to win this division in the next year or two, they have to dominate the LOS. They are getting there on defense, but they have a long way to go on offense. We saw that they can win with these receivers and even Kellen Clemons when they control the LOS against weaker fronts, now they need to do that against NFC West defensive fronts.

Watkins won't help there, Robinson will help tremendously by becoming a cornerstone of the line that they can run behind on those short 3rd downs to sustain drives. If they can do that, it opens up play action and makes the WRs that they already have more effective. It is just an obvious selection to me and should make the most sense to any objective fan that knows this team and the division they play in. And sure, Watkins would be a fun pick, but heck this team had Torry Holt in his prime, from 2003-2007 as well as Steven Jackson, and could not win and it was mostly because their OL could not control the line of scrimmage.

Speeps

Starter
I dont believe anything the media reports. If it were up to them Sam Bradford would have already been traded...

lockdnram21

Legend
i disagree RFIP the reason they started stopping Stacy had nothing to do with the wr. it was the line. The receivers were getting open Clemens didnt have time or was inaccurate.

RFIP

Remind me what happened when Clowney's team played Watkins's team...every single year they were in college. :LOL:

Clowney covered Watkins like a blanket, jammed him at the line, defended him down field in tight coverage, and caused him to assume the fetal position on the sidelines and ask out of the game.

WTF relevance does "Clowney's team vs Watkins team have to do with one another??? :sleep:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Clowney covered Watkins like a blanket, jammed him at the line, defended him down field in tight coverage, and caused him to assume the fetal position on the sidelines and ask out of the game.

WTF relevance does "Clowney's team vs Watkins team have to do with one another??? :sleep:

Nah. Clowney just crushed the soul of Watkins's QB. Can't do much as a WR if the QB can't get the ball there. Which is why Watkins shouldn't be the pick at #2. :LOL:

RFIP

Nah. Clowney just crushed the soul of Watkins's QB. Can't do much as a WR if the QB can't get the ball there. Which is why Watkins shouldn't be the pick at #2. :LOL:

Got'cha! Let's draft a guy there that can give the QB more time to throw...just no one to throw too. :whistle:

jjab360

Legend
Got'cha! Let's draft a guy there that can give the QB more time to throw...just no one to throw too. :whistle:
It's funny how people feel the need to act like Tavon/Bailey/Cook/Britt/Pettis/Givens/Quick don't even exist when they're talking up Watkins..

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Sammy Boy seemed to be finding people to throw to last year once we had a running game and good blocking...