So my favorite breakfast place just got better

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
Agreed, most places on the West Coast probably can't make a good B&G, that's why I don't eat it. Probably never had a good version and have been turned off from trying it.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Most restaurants shouldn't even have B&G on their menu.
It's tasteless garbage when done wrong.

When made the proper way, the way I do it at home, it's amazing.
I had it once where the biscuits more closely resembled a hockey puck.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Yeah, I really wasn't kidding.
You're always invited.

In case you can't make it over to my place, Here's a good gravy recipe.

1 log of Jimmy dean sausage

About 6 heaping tbl spoons of flour

About 6-7 cups of milk

Brown and crumble the sausage in a large skillet

Once browned, add about 6 heaping tablespoons of flour to the meat. Let the flour brown with the sausage until it darkens and has a nutty smell. If it still smells like flour, keep browning.

Once you get the flour smell out of the meat/flour mixture, start adding the milk
Start with about a cup at a time while whisking. Bring it to a boil each time you add to prevent lumps.

After about 2-3 cup are added you can now add the rest of the milk.

Bring the gravy to a full boil. If it's too thick, add some more milk. (You don't want gravy too thick)

Add salt to taste and lots of freshly ground pepper.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
You're always invited.

About 6-7 cups of milk

Once browned, add about 6 heaping tablespoons of flour to the meat. Let the flour brown with the sausage until it darkens and has a nutty smell. If it still smells like flour, keep browning.

Once you get the flour smell out of the meat/flour mixture, start adding the milk
Start with about a cup at a time while whisking. Bring it to a boil each time you add to prevent lumps.

Bring the gravy to a full boil. If it's too thick, add some more milk. (You don't want gravy too thick)

And don't put it on a freaking biscuit. Chicken fried steak and potatoes though...

I know... Starch on starch but not a soggy mess.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
You're always invited.

About 6-7 cups of milk

That‘s about it.

Here is a little secret sauce to add… a teaspoon or so. I think Bob Evans adds something like this. Gives it a skillet richness, but subtle like seasoning.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
That‘s about it.

Here is a little secret sauce to add… a teaspoon or so. I think Bob Evans adds something like this. Gives it a skillet richness, but subtle like seasoning.

Thing is... You're not allowed to use it if you're under 50 yrs old.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I've never used that.
Ill have to look it up.
It used to get used a lot - back when wood stoves were new. :laugh4:

It adds a richness and depth of flavor to sauces and gravies. I don't really use it much. I think the bottle I have is from the 80s. :biggrin:

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott

It adds a richness and depth of flavor to sauces and gravies. I don't really use it much. I think the bottle I have is from the 80s. :biggrin:
I Remember it being in the cupboard when I was a kid, but never remember my mother or grandma using it.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

I Remember it being in the cupboard when I was a kid, but never remember my mother or grandma using it.

You whipper snappers better watch your tongue.

:D