So, about this Ram D?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I was just thinking about this yesterday! Great players should make everyone around them better. And having Aaron Donald in front of you should make for very good linebackers. I heard Ray Lewis talk about this before. Unfortunately, outside of Cory Litttleton, it appears that none of the other defenders have raised their game at all, and many have regressed! Maybe they are too busy watching Donald on every play. But this has to stop. Never before have I seen this much talent play so poorly!!!

Edit: And Aaron Donald is being double-teamed on almost every single play! That means others are getting blocked one-on-one, and no one else can make a play?

Last edited:

fearsomefour

Legend
First, a little housekeeping. Our O and our ST are just fine. More than just fine, actually. Both are of SB caliber. As an aside, can you imagine what this O might accomplish if the D could become even top 10 status? Scary.

But our D has become a bit of an enigma to me. An example of the whole being less than the sum of it’s parts. Anti-synergistic, if there is such a word.

Opponents have exposed chink after chink in the D’s armor. The O has been able to overcome these mostly, with the exception of the Saints game, but it’s been far too close, lately. And the caliber of our playoff competition will be such that I’m not sure that the Ram D can withstand.

Let me put it this way. If someone had told me before opening day that the Rams would be averaging 33-35 points per game, I would have predicted an undefeated season ending with raising the Lombardi. THAT’S how much confidence I had in this D roster.

But after watching these guys play together for 10 games? I fear that we have position groups that simply aren’t good enough.

I love Wade. Just want to be clear about that. But I have to say that he seems to have made some miscalculations when assembling this D roster.

Suh impact
Brockers (seems to have largely disappeared)
Ebu
Longacre
Barron
Peters (jury still out but is MP a scheme fit?)
Joyner (can anybody explain his regression this year?)

Put another way, other than the obvious AD, and perhaps Littleton, is there a single D player that has exceeded expectations?

Man, I expected more from our D, and I don’t think I’m the only one.

My prediction for next offseason? Wade will remain because he’s having too much fun and he wants to “finish” his D before any thought of retirement.

But I do see significant turnover among D starters. Here are my likely goners as starters:

Suh
Ebu
Barron
Joyner

Unless Fowler earns an extension, there will be a 2nd opening outside, as well. That makes 4-5 new starters on D next year, a significant percentage, indeed.

I see a heavy emphasis on D through FA, trade, and the draft next offseason. The departures of Suh, Barron, and Joyner will provide some good cap relief for FA and trades. Draft will consist of BPA’s at DT, OLB, CB, S, and maybe ILB. Heck, that’s every position group, isn’t it? Lol.

It’s gonna be an “interesting” offseason, that’s for sure.
The thing with just cutting guys loose is having people to replace them with.
I'm not trying dig out of a hole is the best approach.
I would expect change competition to be brought in this off season. A player like Samson can make some plays but appears to have physical limitations in terms of being a complete OLB. Trading for Fowler could be a huge get and Inwoukd expect him to stick around.
Two guys Im surprised have had little impact this year are Longacre and Westbrooks. Westbrooks looked great in preseason and at times I forget he's on the roster.
I would expect at least one veteran LB to be brought in and another draft pic to the spot.
The first round pic would be designated to defense for me, either DL or LB. l would prefer DL as the Rams have so much $$ tied was in DL it's not sustainable.

Ramzheart

Rookie
Damn, don't like this stat- just stated on Gameday, Rams are #1 at giving up big plays and chiefs are #1 at rushing the QB!
I think if we can get ahead early and run the ball we have a good chance!

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
The last 5 weeks the Chiefs have faced crappy offenses.

Their stats on D are a little padded in that bit. Just like their 3rd down D stats are padded.

Since Week 3, we've faced Philip Rivers, Kirk Cousins, Russell Wilson, Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees and Russell Wilson again. The only breaks we had were Case Keenum /w Denver and Beathard /w SF.

In the same span, KC has faced Beathard (SF), Case Keenum (Den), Bortles (Jax), Brady (NE), Andy Dalton (Cin), Case Keenum (Den), Baker Mayfield (Cle), and Josh Rosen (AZ)

The ONLY QB they've faced who's not a rookie or journeyman is Brady. Andy Dalton is having a journeyman year as is Keenum and Beathard.

And in the last three weeks, they've faced Keenum and two rookies.

So I really don't want to hear about KC's D coming along because they lost to the only real competition they've faced.

Also, Sammy Watkins is nursing an injury and as KC fans can attest, their offense isn't the same when people aren't spending defensive resources on Watkins.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Also, Sammy Watkins is nursing an injury and as KC fans can attest, their offense isn't the same when people aren't spending defensive resources on Watkins.

My concern with the Ram defense is they can't stop the run and I don't know why. It's not all on the edge, it's also striaght up the gut. Kareem Hunt and Spencer Ware can tote the rock and I believe that Littleton and Barron struggle from time to time inside because of their size. When do you see the Ram defense hold the opposition to a one yard gain or even just two? Most of the time they gain four yards at a minimum and most of us consider that good. Not sure, what is the issue because I expected more out of Suh when it came to stopping the run, but he has not done much. Overall until this defense is able to do that, they will continue to be dominated and I'm not sure they can get it fixed and again, JMHO.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The last 5 weeks the Chiefs have faced crappy offenses.

Their stats on D are a little padded in that bit. Just like their 3rd down D stats are padded.

Since Week 3, we've faced Philip Rivers, Kirk Cousins, Russell Wilson, Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees and Russell Wilson again. The only breaks we had were Case Keenum /w Denver and Beathard /w SF.

In the same span, KC has faced Beathard (SF), Case Keenum (Den), Bortles (Jax), Brady (NE), Andy Dalton (Cin), Case Keenum (Den), Baker Mayfield (Cle), and Josh Rosen (AZ)

The ONLY QB they've faced who's not a rookie or journeyman is Brady. Andy Dalton is having a journeyman year as is Keenum and Beathard.

And in the last three weeks, they've faced Keenum and two rookies.

So I really don't want to hear about KC's D coming along because they lost to the only real competition they've faced.

All good points, Mackeyser.

Kinda encourages me, and I can use the encouragement, believe me.

But, like den, I have issues with our D.

Poor run D
Poor pass coverage all too often
Stupid penalties
Poor edge pressure

I mean, DAMN!

Our O and ST are so good that we will probably finish with 13-15 wins. But our D is a ticking time bomb.

Chiefs and Bears will be serious tests for Wade and his crew. Fingers crossed.