SNISHER OL Drafting Issues

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I'm just so glad that this Ram OL cadre is still somewhat fully healthy.

I still think this 2016 OL is better than our 2015 OL so there is some improvement. Havenstein, Donnal & Wichmann seem to be better in their pass blocking which might come in handy when rookie Jared Goff wonders onto the field of play. Saffold & Robinson duo should continue to learn to work together & build trust here. Remember those 2 only played a few plays together last season. So there is some getting used to playing together ongoing here. It could be that if veteran OG Garrett Reynolds had not been injured & IR'd he would be starting @ one of the OG posts at the cost of Wichmann.

OG Jamon Brown was in street clothes for the past Sunday's game. Rookie Brown was our starting OLG when the 2015 season began & remain a starter until he broke his leg in game 9. Something must be wrong with him to be in street clothes & Rhaney, Rookie Murphy & Donnal are active. Not sure he has fully got over the broke leg mid season in 2015. In addition he has been slow to master the pro pass blocking skills yet.

I sure see a bunched up Defense @ the LOS with all eyes on Gurley the first four games. If this passing game was able to take full advantage of this, then things would be much different later in the running game. That's on Case & our sorry hands receivers. That's were I see the issue is at not in the OL. So until that happens I do not see any changes in results.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Nothin wrong with the line....2015 was a great draft...And I say that because many of those linemen are exceeding my expectations....I've even seen a few holes that Gurley has missed....he's hitting the LOS so fast, he's missing some creases...I think Keenum is the least sacked QB in the league....they ARE young (G-Rob is really young)....they are getting better...

Look around the league, most teams with great running games have solid pass catchers and really good QB's....

I think our running game is actually HELPING our passing game...Makes me wonder, what would our passing game look like without Gurley:eek:

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
The pass blocking has been very good.

The run blocking has been poor but I attribute that more so to the scheme than any personnel issues. 5 linemen won't be able to get much push against 9 defenders stacking the box.

Our o-line isn't perfect but it's young, improving, and getting the job done. For the first time in I don't know how long it isn't actively holding us back. I'm definitely not about to harp on Snisher over this unit.

I also don't get the GRob hate. I think he's been good this year. He has given up one or two pressures/hits but that's going to happen occasionally against d-lines like Arizona and Seattle. His penalties hurt a lot last week, but to be honest one call was extremely weak, and the other call was on a totally broken play where it is easy to get lost... so I'm considering it a learning experience and assuming he won't get caught up field on a play like that again.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I also don't get the GRob hate. I think he's been good this year. He has given up one or two pressures/hits but that's going to happen occasionally against d-lines like Arizona and Seattle. His penalties hurt a lot last week, but to be honest one call was extremely weak, and the other call was on a totally broken play where it is easy to get lost... so I'm considering it a learning experience and assuming he won't get caught up field on a play like that again.

This^.

GRob is significantly improved over last season and getting better. I don't see how some cannot see this.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I think it's Fisher's philosophy to protect the QB at all costs first, after not giving Sam any protection for years and then having to suffer without a decent QB for a few years.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
With Munchak as the Oline coach, Fisher always had a good OLine. Boudreaux is always involved in the Oline evals cone draft time, and then he is charged with coaching them. So, maybe when Fisher turned over the offensive staff, he should have made one more move.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
wow - what is it with Rams fans and seeing something half empty all the time - I know we've been ranked #31 by PFF this week (https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-ranking-all-32-nfl-offensive-lines-entering-week-5-2/) between the Seahawks (3-1) and the Vikings (4-0) but then again the Titans (1-4).

I really think we're doing ok considering how much the opposition are stacking the box, our QB isn't being driven into the ground like past QBs have, Case hasn't been sacked too often (8 - I think) remember the hits Sam used to take, or that hit on Floes at GB - ok, so our run game isn't clicking (yet) you can't put that down to the O-line alone.

GRob has improved this offseason, even though he still has his haters. I like our young o-line, IMO, they'll only get better.

Bruce2980

Starter
wow - what is it with Rams fans and seeing something half empty all the time - I know we've been ranked #31 by PFF this week (https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-ranking-all-32-nfl-offensive-lines-entering-week-5-2/) between the Seahawks (3-1) and the Vikings (4-0) but then again the Titans (1-4).

I really think we're doing ok considering how much the opposition are stacking the box, our QB isn't being driven into the ground like past QBs have, Case hasn't been sacked too often (8 - I think) remember the hits Sam used to take, or that hit on Floes at GB - ok, so our run game isn't clicking (yet) you can't put that down to the O-line alone.

GRob has improved this offseason, even though he still has his haters. I like our young o-line, IMO, they'll only get better.
Our o-line has not held their blocks long enough for Gurley to make it one step past the line of scrimmage on average. The blocking schemes are good, our guys are getting physically dominated consistently across the board, except for Havenstien, but he sucks because he can't block 9 guys at once. The o-line is going to have to play better, there is no reason for this! Too many mental mistakes and not physical enough, they are getting their asses handed to them play after play.
http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2016/10/5/13171296/la-rams-film-room-review-week-4-at-arizona-cardinals