SNISHER OL Drafting Issues

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

biggame1190

Starter
Name
CB
Ct8oImeVIAAeX6d.jpg

The Rams have used 10 draft picks over four years in the Fisher era. One first, one second one third and the rest are 4-7 rounds. For those of you keeping track at home, this list is an issue.

I still am unsure about Robinson, but I am some what sure Havenstein is on his way to a solid career. Thats 1/10. Not good enough and it shows specifically on run downs. The lack of push we get is pathetic. In fact they are almost instantly pushed back 2 yards. We need strength!

Do we blame Snead/Fisher for the drafting? Paul Boudreau for the development?

Just so sick and tired of having a weak Oline. You win games in the trenches and its no wonder we have been so bad for so long, because we haven't had a stable OLine since 2003.

ItsonTavon

Rookie
Name
Erick
I'm just hoping Greg Robinson is not a bust. (He look much improved in preseason, now....?)

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
As with anything that can be perceived as a negative with the team IMO it's too early to complain about the performance of the OLine. We're winning and that's all that matters. Let them grow and improve their performance together.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Well if you really want to bash them, OP, list their FA busts as well.

For me personally I don't cry over spilt milk. It's done. Let's see what this latest group can do. Can they grow into a strong unit? If so, all that other stuff doesn't matter. If not, we'll probably see this team crash and burn at some point.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm not seeing the issue this year. Yea, the run blocking hasn't been good. But we've been one of the league's better pass blocking units. I'll take that. I expect the run blocking to improve eventually. We haven't had a good pass blocking OL in a decade. We seem to have one this year.

JIMERAMS

Pro Bowler
Name
Bill
The issue is blaming 9 man fronts on the oline. Our line is playing well this year I'm not sure what the issue is that you see. A ticky tac hold and Robinson was trying to block for Keenum when he started to run then turned around you can't blame him for hustling to help Keenum there was also 1 other lineman down field but Robinson was the number called

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
The O Line hasn't been that bad - Greg Robinson had a rough game against Az - but not as rough as it is being made out to be. I still have hope for the young man.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I've been watching some bad offensive line play around the league. The colts for one...

Makes me very thankful for how our O-line is playing.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The issue is blaming 9 man fronts on the oline. Our line is playing well this year I'm not sure what the issue is that you see. A ticky tac hold and Robinson was trying to block for Keenum when he started to run then turned around you can't blame him for hustling to help Keenum there was also 1 other lineman down field but Robinson was the number called

The O Line hasn't been that bad - Greg Robinson had a rough game against Az - but not as rough as it is being made out to be. I still have hope for the young man.

Wish I could give more than one like to these.

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
Pass blocking has been solid. Run blocking is tough vs 8/9 men in the box. Not to mention everyone besides saffold is still relatively inexperienced, and most scouts/coaches/FO personnel would currently rank oline as one of the toughest positions to transition from college to NFL with the current offensive trend in college.

Hasnt been the best oline in the league but is also far from the worst, and its only going to get better

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Putting this on the coaching staff. The talent is there but the o-line shuffling that disrupts continuity has been ticking me off for quite a while. I can understand if injuries occur but when you don't allow them to gel as a unit, you're going to get 7-9 bullshit on the trenches

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake

You're right he did have a rough game. However that holding call that went against was pure BS. And the other that went against him was when he thought the QB was going to run with the ball. I don't blame him for heading downfield.

Which leads me to a question...If a QB is out of the box isn't he considered a runner so Olinemen and WR's can block? It's the same for read-option right? If that's true that's another penalty that shouldn't have been called against him for illegal lineman downfield.

Anyways, I think the Oline will continue to improve as a unit if they all can stay healthy, you have to remember the Oline switched around once that regular season started.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
Has anyone noticed any changes in the run blocking schemes we're using from week to week? I'm hoping it's evolving and that we're not just trying the same running plays over and over (that obviously aren't working).

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
I'm just hoping Greg Robinson is not a bust. (He look much improved in preseason, now....?)
After last season, I had serious concerns about GR being a bust. The key would be having a great off-season. Looking at his performance so far, I do think he is light years ahead of where he was at the end of last season. I think he will continue getting better. We have to remember he is only 23 years old, so he is still just a young guy. And, he came from an offense at Auburn where he didn't learn proper technique which is extremely critical for a left tackle in the NFL. If he would have stayed at Auburn, for all five years, he would be entering the league this year as a rookie. He may not be grading out as our top O-Lineman each week, but I don't think he has been the worst. The O-Line will get better as a whole, but it needs to be sooner rather than later. The key to the offense's success starts with them.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Has anyone noticed any changes in the run blocking schemes we're using from week to week? I'm hoping it's evolving and that we're not just trying the same running plays over and over (that obviously aren't working).

Probably, would be helpful to look into some gametape from 2012-2014 when Schotty was our OC to take some scripts from their run blocking scheme. Dude may have been terrible at the adjustments category but he knew how to get production from twilight SJax, Stacy, and Mason.

TexasRam

Legend
I don't see lack of push in run game. I think they all (Robinson included) are doing a solid job in the run game, it's just the box is constantly stacked. We are arguably the least feared pass game in the NFL not to mention everyone knows Fisher will stubbornly run the ball in effort to avoid the turnover and win via ball control.

So 9 man fronts is the norm. It's impossible to block that.

Pass pro has been really solid with the exception of Robinson who is in my mind clearly a bust and lost cause.

Our oline is healthy and that is good, they are playing really solid.

I personally think Goff would be the answer to the run game. He can make a lot of throws Keenum can only dream of. And that is the key to opening up the run game.

Not rocket surgery folks.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Its a freaking crap shoot. No way can you guarantee ANY draft pick, not even a 1st rounder. That so many drat picks don't pan out is not the fault of the team or scouts, its just a large gamble. NFL teams throughout the league are having OL problems. Colleges and the NFL are divergeing and linemen coming out of college are some of the least prepared to play in the NFL. Teams are lucky to have 3 or 4 out of 10 O linemen they have picked work out.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
I think they are still using a zone blocking scheme. I think sometimes the lack of communication, with our current scheme, leaves defenders unblocked, or no push because guys are trying to get to the next level ,i.e. LB'ers.

For me, I would have our O-Line man/combo block on running plays. Put a hat on a hat, and combo block the D-Lineman to the LB'er.

But that's the old option blocking scheme from my college days.
upload_2016-10-4_15-26-24.jpeg

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Anyone see Monday nite football and LT Eric Flowers? Maybe Rams should have drafted him.

…..

Legend
Ct8oImeVIAAeX6d.jpg

The Rams have used 10 draft picks over four years in the Fisher era. One first, one second one third and the rest are 4-7 rounds. For those of you keeping track at home, this list is an issue.

I still am unsure about Robinson, but I am some what sure Havenstein is on his way to a solid career. Thats 1/10. Not good enough and it shows specifically on run downs. The lack of push we get is pathetic. In fact they are almost instantly pushed back 2 yards. We need strength!

Do we blame Snead/Fisher for the drafting? Paul Boudreau for the development?

Just so sick and tired of having a weak Oline. You win games in the trenches and its no wonder we have been so bad for so long, because we haven't had a stable OLine since 2003.

I don't think you "blame" anyone. I also don't think our offensive line as a weakness though I had expected better. I'm still thinking that this unit will be a team strength soon.

I am resisting the temptation to always place blame. Actually....I'm not even tempted. I'm just not going to blame blame blame. Its giving me a headache.

blame the QB for bad passes
blame the coach for playing the wrong QB
blame the WR for drops
blame the coordinator for calling that play
blame the ref, he's blind
blame the draft
blame the guy that gave Tavon 42m to catch 2 passes on 9 targets
blame the pop corn guy!

fuck that shit man. just suit up and play better tomorrow or you wont be here.

besides all that.....you're tossin out blame to a 3-1 team.

ArkyRamsFan

Pro Bowler
I don't see lack of push in run game. I think they all (Robinson included) are doing a solid job in the run game, it's just the box is constantly stacked. We are arguably the least feared pass game in the NFL not to mention everyone knows Fisher will stubbornly run the ball in effort to avoid the turnover and win via ball control.

So 9 man fronts is the norm. It's impossible to block that.

Pass pro has been really solid with the exception of Robinson who is in my mind clearly a bust and lost cause.

Our oline is healthy and that is good, they are playing really solid.

I personally think Goff would be the answer to the run game. He can make a lot of throws Keenum can only dream of. And that is the key to opening up the run game.

Not rocket surgery folks.

^^^Now that's funny!!!^^^