Snead's Morning Press Conference

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

InnovatedMind

NO MA'AM President
Name
Joe

Thanks for posting this!

Say what you will about Snead, but I like him. He's very smart and calculating in terms of our team in my opinion... by that I mean, I think he and the coaching staff know EXACTLY what to do in free agency and the draft.

Sounds like it will be a very busy offseason in terms of new FA's, dropped players, new rookies. The way he spoke, it also sounds like our offense and receivers are going to get addressed big time.

HECK YAH!

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
I think blue with the double blue pant stripe looks good! But I don't mind the white either!

Double Pants - is that like Mc Hammer? - the Rams have gone totally LA!?!
oldschoolrapperCC.jpg

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
5 years with Fisher the team constantly "built thru the draft" and seemed to be on the verge of something special, and yet they didn't reach in to FA for the player to put them over the top. Now the team is back close to square one, and Snead is gung ho about jumping in to FA to improve the team.
Man, if this doesn't show who was in charge during the Fisher era, I don't know what else will

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Man, if this doesn't show who was in charge during the Fisher era, I don't know what else will

Fisher was in charge of personnel there is no debating that, but others can be in charge, however, if you are truly talented you can convince them to your point of view. I do believe Snead was able to do that from time to time so some of the misses in the draft, he has to take the blame for, but because of the lack of success in free agency with the likes of Jake Long and Scott Wells for example, IMHO, Fisher got a tad gun shy and decided to focus more on the draft.

IMHO, you need a blend, you can't go over the top in free agency, we witnessed that first hand in Spagnuolo's last year, but adding a couple of offensive linemen for example would be prudent, now they just have to pick the right ones.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
5 years with Fisher the team constantly "built thru the draft" and seemed to be on the verge of something special, and yet they didn't reach in to FA for the player to put them over the top. Now the team is back close to square one, and Snead is gung ho about jumping in to FA to improve the team.

Problem was they never fixed the QB issue in the past. Relied on Bradford for too long without a plan B. Then after Shottenheimer left they could not get a decent OC because I assume coaches felt Fisher would be fired so why go there for a year.

If they had for instance had a QB of Cousins ability and a quality OC, then they may have gotten somewhere I mean they won 7 games with guys like Sean Hill, Kellen Clemons, and Austin Davis.

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Interesting quote @ the 2:02 mark ........ " we are adding positions to our defense that we didn't have before"......

In contrast, when Wade Phillips was hired, we were told that not much will change. They will scheme the defense to match talents of the existing roster. IE, the defensive linemen will play gaps just like they did in the 4-3. So, I guess he's saying they DON'T have the players they need to implement Wade's defense? Anybody read that differently?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Interesting quote @ the 2:02 mark ........ " we are adding positions to our defense that we didn't have before"......

In contrast, when Wade Phillips was hired, we were told that not much will change. They will scheme the defense to match talents of the existing roster. IE, the defensive linemen will play gaps just like they did in the 4-3. So, I guess he's saying they DON'T have the players they need to implement Wade's defense? Anybody read that differently?

I read it as they will of course need to add some pieces on defense. Which goes without saying tbh.

Wade's comments really only apply to the guys they see as future holdings. The guys like Donald, who you aren't gonna mess with. There will be guys who they don't plan on bringing back, and some of their roster spots will require upgrades to get the defense where Wade wants it.

Ram65

Legend

We didn't hear the question but, I imagine it was about concentrating on the offense in the draft and free agency. Hard to take everything Snead says literally anyway. I think he is referring to adding defensive players with some different traits. Some differences would be at CB. The defense will be playing more press coverage so they will be looking for press CBs. I'm not buying that Phillips does know if Tru can play press though. Linebackers will be a little different. The Rams can now look for tweener type LB/DE that seem to be numerous then pure pass rushing DEs. Phillips said he wants everyone in the front seven to be able to rush the QB. The need another outside LBer and backups. Moving forward the Rams have to concentrate more new resources on offense but still need to add defenders to round out the defense.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/r...ed-goff-was-right-move-and-would-do-it-again/

Rams GM insists moving up to draft Jared Goff was right move and would do it again
Goff started just seven games and didn’t do much to make many believers think he is a star in waiting
By Pete Prisco

INDIANAPOLIS -- Almost a year after trading a bevy of picks to the Tennessee Titans to draft quarterback Jared Goff with the first pick in last April’s NFL Draft, Los Angeles Rams general manager Les Snead said here this week that he would make the same move all over again.

Even though Goff started just seven games and didn’t do much to make many believers think he is a star in waiting, Snead is emphatic that the team made the right decision and would still do it again. We would expect him to say that, but Snead laid out some of the reasons why.

“Yes, no doubt,” Snead said during a break here at the NFL Scouting Combine. “Last year we were sitting at No 15 (in the first round) and we knew we had to find a long-term starter. We then identified Jared and we liked Carson (Wentz) too. I always say this about the calculus equation. Needing one is part of the equation. Identifying one is another part. But the toughest part is how do you acquire that guy. We found a way and decided to do it. That’s why we made the move.”

Snead said the team also looked at this year’s draft potential and realized they had to make a move last season, rather than wait. That’s why they gave up a No. 15 last year, this year’s first (No. 5 overall) and a handful of other picks to move up to the top spot.

As it turns out, this year’s quarterback class isn’t a strong one, so it made sense. Would you rather have Goff or Clemson’s DeShaun Watson or North Carolina’s Mitch Trubisky?

I’d rather have Goff, which is why the Rams making the move was the right one.

jared-goff-les-snead.jpg

Snead (right) likes what he saw from Goff (left) during his rookie season. USATSI
Yet there are those around the league who wonder if Goff can be the guy for the long haul. Goff lost all seven of his starts and completed 54.7-percent of his passes with five touchdowns and seven interceptions. That’s bad accuracy, no matter if he’s a rookie or not.

It didn’t help that the Rams’ offensive line was a disaster, running back Todd Gurley struggled and the outside receivers were little more than average. The Rams finished 3-13 and coach Jeff Fisher was fired during the season.

“There was adversity, road blocks, hindering type issues,” Snead said. “But it was the first step for him to becoming a franchise quarterback. He didn’t blink. He didn’t mope. He didn’t shake his confidence. We saw a lot of what we saw at Cal in college, but what we didn’t know was when things went bad how would he handle it. And none of that shook him.”

Now Goff has a new coach and a new system. Former Washington Redskins offensive coordinator Sean McVay takes over as coach, and he is considered one of the bright offensive minds in the league. That should help Goff, but the team needs to get more pieces around him.

“Once we get Jared in the building, it’s going to be about teaching our system,” McVay said. “Seeing how he processes things, and he’s able to handle the above-the-neck information and then be able to translate it to grass once we get on the field. You see the traits. You see the characteristics. I am really excited to how he retains information, how it translates to the grass. But very excited about Jared and some of the things we’ve seen from him on tape.”

mcvay-rams.jpg

New Rams coach Sean McVay says he is eager to work with Goff. USATSI
Goff has spent time this offseason working with Tom House, who has worked with a lot of NFL passers on motion and mechanics. House works with Tom Brady, so it has to help Goff.

The next step will be to spend time with McVay, but league rules prevent that from happening until later this month. The big jump for Goff this season will be getting through his progressions better. As a rookie, quarterbacks tend to get to the first or the second, but not the third or the fourth. You can’t win consistently in the league without getting to the third and fourth progression.

“He definitely got to two, but not three or four,” Snead said. “Those things are evolving. But his big thing will be calling protections at the line of scrimmage. Sean is a big believer in calling protections at the line of scrimmage. That’s a big pat of what he needs to do. He didn’t do that in college. He did very little of that last year. That’s something he has to work on.”

Even so, there is no remorse for Snead.

“No, none,” he said. “We looked at a lot of factors and made the move. We are happy we did.”

Time will tell, but judging by what’s in this year’s draft class, I tend to agree.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River

Outside of Quinn, we have no real 3-4 OLB'ers. I'd say we need two. Outside of Brockers, we have no suitable rotational NT, and should Brockers also get snaps at DE, all the more important to nail this down. I think most feel more than comfortable with Donald at RDE, but how do we feel about Hayes at LDE ? Both of our proposed ILB's (Ogletree & Barron) are better coverage guys than rush defenders, but we may have enough already on the bench to rotate for scheme. So yeah, I could see up to 4 new guys in the defensive front 7, two starters, two reserves. jmo.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I read it as they will of course need to add some pieces on defense. Which goes without saying tbh.

Wade's comments really only apply to the guys they see as future holdings. The guys like Donald, who you aren't gonna mess with. There will be guys who they don't plan on bringing back, and some of their roster spots will require upgrades to get the defense where Wade wants it.

Such as ??

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
We didn't hear the question but, I imagine it was about concentrating on the offense in the draft and free agency. Hard to take everything Snead says literally anyway. I think he is referring to adding defensive players with some different traits. Some differences would be at CB. The defense will be playing more press coverage so they will be looking for press CBs. I'm not buying that Phillips does know if Tru can play press though. Linebackers will be a little different. The Rams can now look for tweener type LB/DE that seem to be numerous then pure pass rushing DEs. Phillips said he wants everyone in the front seven to be able to rush the QB. The need another outside LBer and backups. Moving forward the Rams have to concentrate more new resources on offense but still need to add defenders to round out the defense.
I sort of wonder about a NT ?? Is Brockers that guy or is he more of a DE ?? Can Quinn rush from the left side as well ??
Pittsburg has always been that team that finds the Chad
Browns & Kevin Green types.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
He put me to sleep. Or almost. I do have to give him props cause that Austin deal was genius. We can easily cut him next year and have zero cap hit.
Then again Tavon could improve . He is electric & finds away to the House !!
His hands & size are an issue.
-- Say a player gets hurt ? How does that effect the cap ?? Just remember Kapernicks contract being an issue if he was hurt ??

BTW -- I think your giving Snead to much credit on the contract. Demoff is the pencil pusher.
--I also think your a little to harsh on him as a GM. He is sort of put in between a rock & a hard spot.
This off season will tell a lot more. If he fails now ?? Then it will show . McVay keeps talking highly of him & it looks like a good working relationship.
--- Fisher was one to seriously blame.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
Then again Tavon could improve . He is electric & finds away to the House !!
His hands & size are an issue.
-- Say a player gets hurt ? How does that effect the cap ?? Just remember Kapernicks contract being an issue if he was hurt ??

BTW -- I think your giving Snead to much credit on the contract. Demoff is the pencil pusher.
--I also think your a little to harsh on him as a GM. He is sort of put in between a rock & a hard spot.
This off season will tell a lot more. If he fails now ?? Then it will show . McVay keeps talking highly of him & it looks like a good working relationship.
--- Fisher was one to seriously blame.
I was just saying with the Austin deal I only cut him if he doesnt live up to the deal. Also, I apparently cant win on Snead so I will refrain from mentioning him hahahahaha

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I sort of wonder about a NT ?? Is Brockers that guy or is he more of a DE ??

I like Brock as a 5T personally. Gotta think that's where they start him at least.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I was just saying with the Austin deal I only cut him if he doesnt live up to the deal. Also, I apparently cant win on Snead so I will refrain from mentioning him hahahahaha

Lol -- good stuff . I agree Man . Wasn't sure how his contract was written. That is good info !! Thanks