Snaps vs Min

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Latu's been sort of as advertised. He was the guy that looked like he could plug in and play soon. But he doesn't possess the upside of Verse. Verse is so much better than I thought he was. The power he has in his rush is Bosa type power, that ability to shock OTs and knock them back. The play where the Vikes LT got hurt he was betting popped backward hard. Straight bullied. There aren't a lot of guys who can do that as rooks. Only your top guys have that kind of power.

What Verse looks like is a classic 4-3 end, and an elite one at that. And those guys are so hard to find. This is why 3-4 is more favored, in part, that and the fact you can alter your rush and make the OL guess a bit more. It's easy to find OLBs compared to the classic 4-3 ends who need to be long and rangy but powerful and also with some quickness to them.

Rams got so damn lucky with Verse it's not even funny man. He'd go right after the QBs if that draft got reloaded tonight.
Biggest pushback I got around here when pimping for Verse was some thought he could only be a hand in the dirt 4-3 end and not a 3-4 OLB type pass rusher. He's so strong and yet able to be as explosive as we've seen.

Been so very wrong about a lot of prospects before it's nice to have one looking like he's living up to my hopes for him.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Quick Observation.

I am re-watching last night's game; and when Minnesota rookie Dallas Turner had a penalty on a punt, I thought to myself that I had not noticed Turner before then.

Turner, along with Jared Verse and Laiatu Latu, were generally regarded as the top-3 Edge players in the Draft.

Turner was selected at #17 overall ... two picks ahead of Verse.

Last night, Dallas Turner played three defensive snaps, out of 71 total defensive plays. About 4%.

Jared Verse played 42 snaps, out of 50 total defensive plays ... that's 84%.

To be fair and objective, Turner is an impressive athlete; and is almost three full years younger than Verse.
At the draft, I was really hoping Rams could land Verse, and was glad when Turner went to the Vikes at 17. Quite frankly, I thought Turner looked like an immature clown in his pimped-out bling-bling lime-green suit. His whole demeanor suggested "diva" and "immature."

So I'm not surprised that Turner is struggling as a rookie. By contrast, Verse is a full-grown man whose passion for football is obvious. Maybe Turner will develop someday, but right now he's WAY behind Verse. We lucked out that the Vikes picked the wrong guy.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
What impressed me with Verse during the draft was his pop being a marine, and still being in good shape. :thumbsup1:

fearsomefour

Legend
- Kupp and Puka on a pitch count

-TE rotating a lot, could be because of the short week. Good mix of 12 personnel

- Kyren's the bellcow. Hard to argue given his production

- Looks like Durant got the job at the other corner spot after last weeks performance

- Speights the main LB2, Hummel rotating in. Probably based on down and distance, and role

- Gallimore left the game early with an injury (shoulder?

- Jackson back to STs only after a few snaps last week
Hummel looked way over his head....more than Speights actually.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Quick Observation.

I am re-watching last night's game; and when Minnesota rookie Dallas Turner had a penalty on a punt, I thought to myself that I had not noticed Turner before then.

Turner, along with Jared Verse and Laiatu Latu, were generally regarded as the top-3 Edge players in the Draft.

Turner was selected at #17 overall ... two picks ahead of Verse.

Last night, Dallas Turner played three defensive snaps, out of 71 total defensive plays. About 4%.

Jared Verse played 42 snaps, out of 50 total defensive plays ... that's 84%.

To be fair and objective, Turner is an impressive athlete; and is almost three full years younger than Verse.
They signed Van Ginkel and Greenard. Picking Dallas Turner in round one made it seem to me like they’d be using all three in a rotation. If a first round rookie cannot work into a rotation with a career rotational player like Van Ginkel, that is not a good sign.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
They signed Van Ginkel and Greenard. Picking Dallas Turner in round one made it seem to me like they’d be using all three in a rotation. If a first round rookie cannot work into a rotation with a career rotational player like Van Ginkel, that is not a good sign.
Agree that it’s not ideal a highly regarded rookie is not getting more snaps.

That being acknowledged, Minnesota has some quality Edge defenders. Greenard is a very good all-around Edge and was a key free agent addition after the Vikings lost Hunter.

Van Ginkel has developed into a quality player and he’s versatile. He is also having a huge season. The Vikings current third-Edge is Patrick Jones who is a former third round pick. I think Jones might be a free agent after the season, so there appears to be a path for Turner.

The other point is age. Dallas Turner is a young rookie at just 21, and will not turn 22 until after the season. By comparison, I believe Verse will turn 24 in a couple weeks.

I love the Rams’ young pass rush group (Turner, Young, Verse and Fiske) but they all came into the NFL as older rookies.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Agree that it’s not ideal a highly regarded rookie is not getting more snaps.

That being acknowledged, Minnesota has some quality Edge defenders. Greenard is a very good all-around Edge and was a key free agent addition after the Vikings lost Hunter.

Van Ginkel has developed into a quality player and he’s versatile. He is also having a huge season. The Vikings current third-Edge is Patrick Jones who is a former third round pick. I think Jones might be a free agent after the season, so there appears to be a path for Turner.

The other point is age. Dallas Turner is a young rookie at just 21, and will not turn 22 until after the season. By comparison, I believe Verse will turn 24 in a couple weeks.

I love the Rams’ young pass rush group (Turner, Young, Verse and Fiske) but they all came into the NFL as older rookies.
Pretty sure Van Ginkel was just a 2 year signing though Greenard was longer at 4 years. Still surprised like you guys Turner isn't playing very much but they're very deep there like you said.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Don
Biggest pushback I got around here when pimping for Verse was some thought he could only be a hand in the dirt 4-3 end and not a 3-4 OLB type pass rusher. He's so strong and yet able to be as explosive as we've seen.

Been so very wrong about a lot of prospects before it's nice to have one looking like he's living up to my hopes for him.
I recall reading your thoughts on Verse, I had him right behind Latu due to what I thought was a less-developed ability to create pressure from the edge. I had no idea Verse was so strong, in fact, I am still shocked by his power. Verse combines his power/speed to
create havoc as well as anyone in recent memory.

You were all over this O.S glad you were right

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Pretty sure Van Ginkel was just a 2 year signing though Greenard was longer at 4 years. Still surprised like you guys Turner isn't playing very much but they're very deep there like you said.
I was re-watching the game, and the announcers were talking about the Vikings' top-3 Edge players (Greenard, Van Ginkel and Jones); and said all three had 5 sacks (in six games) entering the Rams' game.

That's impressive.

Also impressive is how the Rams pass-blocked against that group!

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I recall reading your thoughts on Verse, I had him right behind Latu due to what I thought was a less-developed ability to create pressure from the edge. I had no idea Verse was so strong, in fact, I am still shocked by his power. Verse combines his power/speed to
create havoc as well as anyone in recent memory.

You were all over this O.S glad you were right
UGH!!!

What you posted here is accurate and truthful but now @OldSchool will just be impossible to live with.

dang

Legend
Yeah, even his highlight reel is a bit underwhelming, but there are a few memorable plays in there. The big caveat though, he was playing with AD in front of him.

View: https://youtu.be/PlRKVj1thhE?si=q9eI_j3g5IFa1cHU

What year was this from? I ve seen a couple nice tackles by Reeder this year but they were the exception not the rule. Again he’s at ST or PS level physically and decent depth level due to his experience. Hes just not starter level. And Rozeboom plays at an even lower level IMO.