SJ on Trent Richardson

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

superfan24

Starter
He was on sportscenter and basically said that if the Rams draft Trent it would be for the betterment of the organization. But, as expected, said he feels good and expects to carry the same workload as if he is still 20.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
superfan24 said:
He was on sportscenter and basically said that if the Rams draft Trent it would be for the betterment of the organization. But, as expected, said he feels good and expects to carry the same workload as if he is still 20.

I think SJ has been showing his maturity and ability to lead over the last couple seasons. I sure hope we can get him into the playoffs while he's still in horns.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
RamFan503 said:
superfan24 said:

I think SJ has been showing his maturity and ability to lead over the last couple seasons. I sure hope we can get him into the playoffs while he's still in horns.
I agree. I remember when he first broke into the league, I thought there might be some maturity issues. But over the past 4-5 years, he has matured and truly became a leader of this team. I really, really hope we get to win with him (not just because we will win) but because he deserves it. The man is a beast.

superfan24

Starter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yep becoming one of my top 3 Rams of all time. Will be at the top when he leads to the Lombardi trophy in the next 3 years!

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
superfan24 said:
Yep becoming one of my top 3 Rams of all time. Will be at the top when he leads to the Lombardi trophy in the next 3 years!

That's gonna be sweet isn't it? :yeh:

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
superfan24 said:

I dont think this would be an issue. Would it hurt his feelings? Sure, but it could still light a fire under him. For years it was just him carrying the workload and then there was a big dropoff in talent whenever his backups came in, now it would drastically change with TRich.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
An awful lot of how that turned out would depend on TR, he has played his college career for an arrogant azzhat (Saban).
If THAT attitude turns out to be how TR "rolls" it could be a problem.

Between the draft and training camp the year the Cardinals selected J.V. Cain in the draft I attended a wedding where Jackie Smith was also in attendance. He was NOT happy about it and made no attempt to be PC either especially since he had not slowed at all.

Sure ,you can draft the guy #1 and SJ may be all fine with it publicly, but I'd hate to see the same thing transpire here as happened when OJ Anderson had to share time with Stump Mitchell, Anderson demanded a trade, Gene Stallings accommodated him and he went elsewhere and became THEIR SB MVP.

If I were to get MY way, I'd wait until it was time and take LaMicheal James who is downgraded because he's being evaluated as a back based on the criteria that make TR the #1 guy, and he isn't THAT kind of back.

I don't think ANY of us would consider Marshal and SJ to be similar backs., James is far more similar to Marshal than SJ ,he's a weapon who is going to cause match up nightmares.

If you want a physical back to keep playing the SJ way, they are available in lower rounds.

I will wager big that IF we draft TR, SJ finishes his career elsewhere,like ardunno, maybe Pittsburgh.

This team needs other positions far worse than a chain moving RB,if we pick TR I won't "hate on " the pcik,but IMO we could make better choices, and choices are what we all have to pay the price of.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
Thordaddy said:
An awful lot of how that turned out would depend on TR, he has played his college career for an arrogant azzhat (Saban).

Between the draft and training camp the year the Cardinals selected J.V. Cain in the draft I attended a wedding where Jackie Smith was also in attendance. He was NOT happy about it and made no attempt to be PC either especially since he had not slowed at all.

Sure ,you can draft the guy #1 and SJ may be all fine with it publicly, but I'd hate to see the same thing transpire here as happened when OJ Anderson had to share time with Stump Mitchell, Anderson demanded a trade, Gene Stallings accommodated him and he went elsewhere and became THEIR SB MVP.

If I were to get MY way, I'd wait until it was time and take LaMicheal James who is downgraded because he's being evaluated as a back based on the criteria that make TR the #1 guy, and he isn't THAT kind of back.

I don't think ANY of us would consider Marshal and SJ to be similar backs., James is far more similar to Marshal than SJ ,he's a weapon who is going to cause match up nightmares.

If you want a physical back to keep playing the SJ way, they are available in lower rounds.

I will wager big that IF we draft TR, SJ finishes his career elsewhere,like ardunno, maybe Pittsburgh.

This team needs other positions far worse than a chain moving RB,if we pick TR I won't "hate on " the pcik,but IMO we could make better choices, and choices are what we all have to pay the price of.
I know that Jackie Smith was a class act and Marshall Faulk is one of the greatest players of all time and both were not that happy when the team drafted their replacements, but SJax truly is a leader and I don't think he feels that threatened. He's going to go down as one of the three greatest Rams RB of all time and he had a great career.

Watching those goofy commercials and reading his tweets, he just seems like a genuinely confident guy who wants what's best for the team, and right now, Snisher thinks that TR is best for the team (of course that could all be a smoke screen). Wouldn't you love to have the best RB to come out since Adrian Peterson?

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
brokeu91 said:
Thordaddy said:

I know that Jackie Smith was a class act and Marshall Faulk is one of the greatest players of all time and both were not that happy when the team drafted their replacements, but SJax truly is a leader and I don't think he feels that threatened. He's going to go down as one of the three greatest Rams RB of all time and he had a great career.

Watching those goofy commercials and reading his tweets, he just seems like a genuinely confident guy who wants what's best for the team, and right now, Snisher thinks that TR is best for the team (of course that could all be a smoke screen). Wouldn't you love to have the best RB to come out since Adrian Peterson?
Actually no, I'd rather have the guy who IMO fits the Terry Metrcalf /James Brooks role in the Coryell offense ,LaMicheal James as our second second round pick or our third round pick, I mean has AP gotten the Vikes to the promised land ?

There is a reason the Rb position has been downgraded in the draft, three yards and a cloud of dust isn't coming back,James coming out of the backfield will be a legitimate deep threat.
The ALL purpose back is the way the league is going and the guy we can get instead of TR fits more of any other need we have,.
IMO Kalil + James is greater than TR and a second round tackle.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Thordaddy said:
Actually no, I'd rather have the guy who IMO fits the Terry Metrcalf /James Brooks role in the Coryell offense ,LaMicheal James as our second second round pick or our third round pick, I mean has AP gotten the Vikes to the promised land ?

There is a reason the Rb position has been downgraded in the draft, three yards and a cloud of dust isn't coming back,James coming out of the backfield will be a legitimate deep threat.
The ALL purpose back is the way the league is going and the guy we can get instead of TR fits more of any other need we have,.
I dunno, T. I see people say that all the time. "Has 'so-and-so' gotten 'that team' to the promised land?" As if holding up another player is the sole reason to draft someone, or the sole argument against drafting someone. It's going to be more about fit and vision come draft time, and that's why Richardson, Kalil or Cox are mentioned as possible targets. When a coach comes out and says what his vision is, I tend to lock onto that for the remainder of his tenure to see if he sticks with that statement. In this case, Fisher said it's all about protecting the QB, running the ball, and playing strong defense. I don't care what Snead said, because he's just an extension of Fisher. Snead may want to get Bradford some weapons, but Fisher is more interested in keeping him off his ass. I don't think he wants Bradford to throw for 5000 yards. I think he wants Bradford to make plays when he needs to and take advantage of opportunities when they're there.

No matter how much the league has changed, Fisher isn't going to change his stripes. He wants to play physical football and run over opponents. There is no back in this draft that meets those requirements at such a high level as Richardson does, and there's no doubt in my mind that Richardson is in the top two on their board right now. If Jackson gets injured again, he's going to want someone to come in and take over the role; not someone to come in and change their role from 'change of pace' to 'full-time starter'. I think I've seen enough instances where Jackson was out and the entire game-plan changed. I'd rather see it stay the same if that were to happen. And in the interest of keeping Bradford upright, I'd have to think Fisher sees it the same way.

You know, IMO and all.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
X said:
Thordaddy said:

I dunno, T. I see people say that all the time. "Has 'so-and-so' gotten 'that team' to the promised land?" As if holding up another player is the sole reason to draft someone, or the sole argument against drafting someone. It's going to be more about fit and vision come draft time, and that's why Richardson, Kalil or Cox are mentioned as possible targets. When a coach comes out and says what his vision is, I tend to lock onto that for the remainder of his tenure to see if he sticks with that statement. In this case, Fisher said it's all about protecting the QB, running the ball, and playing strong defense. I don't care what Snead said, because he's just an extension of Fisher. Snead may want to get Bradford some weapons, but Fisher is more interested in keeping him off his ass. I don't think he wants Bradford to throw for 5000 yards. I think he wants Bradford to make plays when he needs to and take advantage of opportunities when they're there.

No matter how much the league has changed, Fisher isn't going to change his stripes. He wants to play physical football and run over opponents. There is no back in this draft that meets those requirements at such a high level as Richardson does, and there's no doubt in my mind that Richardson is in the top two on their board right now. If Jackson gets injured again, he's going to want someone to come in and take over the role; not someone to come in and change their role from 'change of pace' to 'full-time starter'. I think I've seen enough instances where Jackson was out and the entire game-plan changed. I'd rather see it stay the same if that were to happen. And in the interest of keeping Bradford upright, I'd have to think Fisher sees it the same way.

You know, IMO and all.
Y-bit, Shottenheimer is supposed to be a Coryell desciple and James is more in the Chris Johnson mold than TR.
I mention Johnson because Fisher drafted him and Lendale White
so he has the ability to see merit in either type of back.
I've made my preference known ,I wouldn't hate on the TR pick if he was the guy, but I will point to what James does for other teams forever JUST like I have Darren Sproles,who isn't AS fast nor elusive as James.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Thordaddy said:
X said:
Thordaddy said:

You know, IMO and all.
Y-bit, Shottenheimer is supposed to be a Coryell desciple and James is more in the Chris Johnson mold than TR.
I mention Johnson because Fisher drafted him and Lendale White
so he has the ability to see merit in either type of back.
I've made my preference known ,I wouldn't hate on the TR pick if he was the guy, but I will point to what James does for other teams forever JUST like I have Darren Sproles,who isn't AS fast nor elusive as James.
I can dig it. I'm not calling you wrong about anything, just kinda furthering the discussion. I wouldn't have a problem with James either. Or David Wilson, or Doug Martin, or Lamar Miller. I was really just getting in Fisher's head and looking at it from the perspective that he 'said' he has. Really, as the draft draws near, we've got a ton of options, so I'm just kinda zeroing in on what I think he'll do. As are you, it seems, and it appears that we both have solid takes on the way he could approach this.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
And y'know despite all the high profile players out there we could get with that pick James is really the only guy I see that I say for where he's rated (early third round) that I am certain he'll return the value for the pick.
He'd be faster than any of our receivers ,but as you say just palabering I can't get certain about anyone for that first pick,it's just such a tweener
I hopeTannehill goes top 5 that'll give us ONE of the elites, which whoever it is ( even Richardson) will make us better.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Dunno man. I have watched LJ a lot. That spread offense that Kelly runs is a back like LJ's whet dream. You will probably never see an NFL level QB come out of his offense either. See the thing is that I think LJ is a pretty good quick back but I think he will get killed in the NFL. Of course I have thought that of many a back. The thing is that when James is out, their other backs do pretty damn well. To me that screams of scheme - not player.

My youngest is going to be attending the O next year. If anything, I'd LOVE to see LJ in horns. I just don't see his game translating as well as some. Now, pick him up with a later round pick? I'm all over it. If we could get him with our 4th (we do have a 4th - right?) - great value pick. Otherwise, as sad as it sounds for a Duck homer, I just don't see him making an impact and we NEED impact.