Silver: Alexander Considered A Great Pick in Scouting Circles

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

rdw

Pro Bowler
I understand this but it seemed pretty obvious to a lot of people at the time that Pead was a reach and David(or Kendricks/Wagner without the trade down for a lousy 5th rounder) was the better pick. I could say the same about Quick, as well. Another pick that many people thought was a major reach at the time. It's fine if you want to reach for a player but you'd better be right about it. If not, be prepared for the criticism.
I get what you're saying I'm just not going to say who is a reach and who is not because I didn't see the Rams board at the time. For whatever reason they must have had a high value on Quick and thought at least one other team did too. A lot of teams are guilty of this. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. It's the nature of the beast so to speak. People have every right to criticize a decision, I'm just playing the other side of the coin for conversation.

lockdnram21

Legend
The problem I have with the Alexander pick is that we have no idea if he can cover. That's a fairly big risk for a fourth round pick. Also, he's another SS. What the hell does Fisher have against the FS position?

Fisher said he can play both. in this defense you have to be able to ply both

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
It's good to see that Fisher and Snead learned their lesson from the mistakes they made in the 2nd round in their first year.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
The problem I have with the Alexander pick is that we have no idea if he can cover. That's a fairly big risk for a fourth round pick. Also, he's another SS. What the hell does Fisher have against the FS position?

That's where I'm at here. I really like what I'm hearing about the guy, but I also really liked what I saw from McDonald last year. I thought SS was a spot we'd potentially have locked down. Maybe we'll see Mo as a hybrid LB/SS?

V3

Hall of Fame
Fisher said he can play both. in this defense you have to be able to ply both

The likelihood of him being able to play run AND pass D is a guess on his part. He's never done it so how does he know if he can? I fully understand that he's new to the position so it's going to take time but that gets back to my original comment. Perhaps there's tape of him somewhere that shows him covering and that's how the Rams know he can cover? I sure hope so. If not, they're taking a shot in the dark. Everything I've read about the kid says he hasn't played much, if any, pass D. I hope the Rams know something the media doesn't about his coverage skills or that they get lucky and the kid figures out how to cover with some coaching.

lockdnram21

Legend
The likelihood of him being able to play run AND pass D is a guess on his part. He's never done it so how does he know if he can? I fully understand that he's new to the position so it's going to take time but that gets back to my original comment. Perhaps there's tape of him somewhere that shows him covering and that's how the Rams know he can cover? I sure hope so. If not, they're taking a shot in the dark. Everything I've read about the kid says he hasn't played much, if any, pass D. I hope the Rams know something the media doesn't about his coverage skills or that they get lucky and the kid figures out how to cover with some coaching.

on his highlights on his only interception he back peddled and high pointed for ball. there was a couple plays where he played back. i think he can domit but it might take a while

jjab360

Legend
Of course there's tape of him against the pass, not sure where you're getting the idea that there's not.

V3

Hall of Fame
Of course there's tape of him against the pass, not sure where you're getting the idea that there's not.

There's VERY few instances of it. That's what I meant. Certainly not enough instances to know definitively if he's good at the skill or not.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Yeah and if certain spoiled brat local yokels knew how to behave they could have had that story,instead of plagiarizing snippets of it

PhxRam

For some. Others were pissed when Pead was selected. I wanted Lavonte David even before the trade down. They STILL could have taken him with the trade down.

It's not hindsight when you hated the pick to begin with and had an alternative that turned out better.

Tell us about all of your picks that never panned out? I hate reading about everyones successful picks.

wrstdude

Rookie
There's VERY few instances of it. That's what I meant. Certainly not enough instances to know definitively if he's good at the skill or not.

You have access to all the tape on him? If not, do you think the Ram's scouts, Fisher et. al do?

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
One more thing on Alexander...

Though he didn't really stand out on tape to me, guys like Gilyard and Pead had excellent tape, especially Pead. So yeah...

jjab360

Legend
One more thing on Alexander...

Though he didn't really stand out on tape to me, guys like Gilyard and Pead had excellent tape, especially Pead. So yeah...
Gilyard looked slow and skinny to me, and obviously ran a very simple offense. I didn't really like the pick but I hoped for the best. (n)

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Gilyard looked slow and skinny to me, and obviously ran a very simple offense. I didn't really like the pick but I hoped for the best. (n)

Little known fact. Gilyard went to the high school my nephew went to, Flagler Palm Coast High School. About 30 mins away from where I live. He was apparently not very bright then, either.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook

His hands were awesome, though. True possessional WR. That was really dissappointing. He went down and snagged a low ball on a big third down one time, pumped his tiny fist, and later was seen delivering pizzas, again. Very disappointing. He had soft hands. His sports science was good.

V3

Hall of Fame
Tell us about all of your picks that never panned out? I hate reading about everyones successful picks.

When? For that draft I would have tried to trade down again because I thought where we picked was in a weaker spot. If I couldn't trade down I probably would have taken David Decastro even though I don't like taking G's in the first(that's how weak I thought the spot was). From what I've heard, he improved a ton this year and looks like a really good player. After that I would have taken Cordy Glenn instead of Quick. After that I would have taken Jenkins. He looked HORRIBLE last year so perhaps there's the miss you're looking for. After him I would have taken Levante David(I wouldn't have traded down). After the 2nd round it gets a little spottier(i.e. I don't have too many players pre-selected. I evaluate after the pick is made and decide if I like them) because I just don't have the time to watch all the players. I think I was fine with the rest of that draft once I looked at film on the players the Rams selected.

For last year's draft I would have NEVER traded up for Tavon. I just don't think he's a #1 so I don't understand why'd you spend the 8th pick overall, let alone add our 2nd rounder. I remember wanting Vaccaro but he was taken one spot before our original pick so I would have taken Cordarrelle Patterson(yes, I was one of the few that liked both Vaccaro and Patterson and I took some heat for it prior to the draft). After that pick I would have gone Ogletree. In the 2nd round I would have gone Warford or Lacy. I didn't want Lacy in the 1st but I think he would have been a solid pick in the 2nd(he ended up being more than solid). After the 2nd, I again resort to what I explained previously. I liked the rest of the draft.

Believe me or don't. I don't care. I'm not going to make something like this up for some internet forum. It doesn't prove anything for me so why make it up. If you want me to go further back I'd have to look them up because I can't really remember and some drafts I didn't do much evaluating because I was just too busy.

I'm not trying to say all my picks are perfect. I know I've had misses in the past. My point is that for the Quick and Pead picks, I thought they were painfully obvious blunders at the time. I thought they were WAY overdrafted.

Last edited:

V3

Hall of Fame
You have access to all the tape on him? If not, do you think the Ram's scouts, Fisher et. al do?

No but others do and they said he rarely ever dropped back and when he did it wasn't the best. That's to be expected for a player playing a new position. I just think that's a little risky taking someone that's so new at that point in the draft. TBH, it's not that big of a deal to me. It was the 4th round. I just found it a little more risky than I like for a 4th in a deep draft.