Silva: Rams Lack of Urgency on O-Line Amazing/Alarming

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Agreed. Davis blew the DAL and AZ games and Hill blew the SD game. Sure the OL wasn't great but we had the opportunity to win in spite of it, but it was the QB who cost us. That's 9 potential wins with backups on a brutal schedule.

If we can just have a healthy QB for 16 we should have a very strong shot at 10+ wins.

I'll worry about the OL if we don't add 2+ guys in the draft and sign Barks/Blaylock

And you didn't even mention the lapses on defense during the season. The so-called bread and butter of the team.

iced

I wouldn't necessarily call Foles injury prone yet, but it's possible. I will say that I like Foles' chances to make it out of preseason and even the entire year regardless of the offensive line compared to Bradford.

I disagree - Bradford is walking into a much better line with Peters,mathis, kelce, johnson.. RG is their only question - our entire line is questionable (you can debate robinson all you want - he's still raw and had plenty of rough moments.... saffold is just as injury prone, if not more than bradford)

When Sam went down against the Browns, it wasn't exactly a major hit. Getting a healthier QB that has proven to be successful at a much, much lower price helps.

On one hand I think Sam came back too soon - on the other hand, you don't have to be hit to tear up something.... Mark Clayton, Carson palmer are just a couple examples...even Isiah Pead is one

I know that Clemens filled in for Feeley and Bradford, I never mentioned Feeley as not being injured with us. Feeley again was into his 30's and hasn't played since. I'm not disputing our line is bad, so whatever stat you want to throw out on the ineptitude of our line is pointless. Yeah, again, I get that Hill went down for 4 weeks with a thigh injury, he was 34 and players get injured. Aaron Rodgers has missed time from injuries, I guess you wouldn't want him over Bradford then?

how is being 8th in most sacks allowed with multiple qb's a bad stat? I mean come on - this team has had protection issues year in year out - from keeping certain OL healthy to just plain performance + having backs/te's that struggle with blitz pick up? This is not a situation an injury prone QB wants to walk into, or rather any QB - and i'm only speaking protection wise - not even including lacking a stud outwide (yes quick looked nice early on last season - can he regain form, let alone start week 1? they're not sure he'll make TC as it is..he really messed up his shoulder)

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
So when he w
Why, especially with regards to the building of the O-line? They haven't even been able to get above .500. They deserve to be questioned at this point in their tenure.

People love to say their sub-par record is because Bradford kept getting hurt. Well, what was part of the reason he kept getting hurt? It's because they failed to build a competent O-line that could protect him.
So when he went down in Carolina while RUNNING because he either couldn't find an open reciever or play design and again went down In preseason without being touched that's the olines fault?

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
Long was injury prone before they signed him. Wells was old and overpaid- I even predicted at the time of his signing that he'd start getting dinged up at his age and you shouldn't sign players that good franchises are quick to discard. Saffold is one of the most injury prone players on the team and this regime signed him to a ridiculous contract. Wasn't shocked at all when I heard he was injured again. Barks was a FA they picked up for nothing and has been one of the only constants on the line even though his play isn't what I'd call inspiring. So we have all these old, injury prone, and/or mediocre players on the O-line and people were surprised it didn't work out?

The fact that this line has been so bad hasn't surprised me in the slightest. The very first Rams draft for this regime I wanted them to draft David DeCastro and Cordy Glenn with their first two picks. I'd still rather have them over who they took. Bradford might have played all of last season.

This regime has had plenty of time to fix their O-line and they've failed.
Again Bradford went down not being touched so remind me how ANY line would have helped

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
I think it does say a lot when the Rams sit and watch teams sign quality OL FA's and they sign none and now go into draft and near the end of FA down 3 starting OL and a couple back ups. Especailly after they dumped Bradford and had $23 mill in cap space.
And without seeing how them fa preform in their new contract one will never know if they were worth what they got. And everyone would be screaming we paid to much for a fa oline again if it didn't work

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
And you didn't even mention the lapses on defense during the season. The so-called bread and butter of the team.

Yep. And I understand the concerns Ram fans have in regards to the OL as it currently stands, but I preach patience. No teams roster is complete in mid April. I highly doubt we come out of the draft and the 3rd wave of FA with a worse line than:

Robinson/Saffold/Wells/Joseph/Barksdale

If we resign Barks and draft a few OL we should easily be an improvement from 2014.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
I understand that, but with all the picks we have had over the last 3 years it would have been nice to pick more linemen.
And then you'd be complaining about the defense.

What is being vastly overlooked is that Fisher took over a team that needed a complete rebuild. Has been taking BPA which happened to be mainly defensive players. Yes some wiffs have been made on offensive players it happens to every single team. However that being said look at the team since take over special teams is coming around defense is stout Yea oline needs work but you can't Fix all 3 phases of the team at once. I honestly would be surprised if Fisher chose the Rams because kronke promised him patients with the FULL team rebuild process

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No one worth signing outside of Blalock and Barksdale in your opinion, but maybe the Rams feel otherwise. For example, OT Ryan Harris started 15 games for the Chiefs at RT last year, gave up fewer sacks, and had fewer penalties than Barksdale. He's still available. For the Pro Football focus loyalist, he was rated the Chiefs 2nd best OLineman last year. Last I heard, Jake Long hasn't retired and is rehabbing his knee injury. Veteran C/G Mike Pollock is still sitting out there waiting for a deal. As is OG Rob Sims. Neither may be long-term alternatives, but they don't have to be for 2015.

Plus, there are still players that will get cut after this draft and there are still may be trade options. And if they are forced to draft an OLineman, they sure picked a great draft to do so. This is one of the deeper interior lines drafts I've seen in awhile.

Not only that, but they've got guys that they have been developing already on the roster. Who heard of Tom Nutten and Mike Gruttadauria prior to them getting their shot? How about Harvey Dahl whom developed under Bourdeau in Atlanta after being signed off the 49ers practice squad for goodness sakes. Barksdale was once cut himself, but now he's "worth signing." We just don't know what we think we may know.

And I guess, as stated previously, I can't panic because it's way too early in the process, I don't know the final roster, and the season is still over 4 months away. But, I'll also add that when I look at other OLines around the league, I don't see too many units that don't have questions or 1-2 guys that are weak links. So I don't have this unrealistic view that the Rams have to have 5 very good lineman to have success on offense. All they need are 5 solid guys on the same page and the OLine will be fine for 2015. Especially if the RBs and TEs do a better job than they did last year.

Again, the real key is what happens at QB and Offensive Coordinator.

man you're giving these guys too much credit. these are the same people that had davin joseph start almost every game last season. and scott wells.

please don't think i'm taking a shot at you because i'm not but while i was reading your post this is what instantly popped up in my head.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I think the key to the Rams OL this year is NOT starting a rookie at LG. I don't think GROB can barely handle his duties still, much less babysit a rook. And the fact that it appears the starting C is going to be highly inexperienced as far as starts go in Jones, Rhaney, or Barnes. Whoever that is doesn't need to be trying to cover for rook mistakes next door. So I think it boils down to signing Blalock (or whoever else is available and competent), starting a career backup in Reynolds, or slotting Barnes or Jones in that roll while drafting a C for depth.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
Any way that you slice it the Rams have only one healthy starting lineman coming back, and he is only in his second year!
So yes, it is time to panic!

Memphis Ram

Legend
man you're giving these guys too much credit. these are the same people that had davin joseph start almost every game last season. and scott wells.

please don't think i'm taking a shot at you because i'm not but while i was reading your post this is what instantly popped up in my head.

Of course, they didn't feel Robinson was ready early. And then a couple of games after he was, Jake Long went down so they had to put Joseph back in. Next man up. And Tim Barnes and Barrett Jones were hurt early. Injured experience was probably deemed better. They put together a decent OLine, but injuries took over. It happens.

Either way, that was 2014 and there are more players available this offseason and so far (to my knowledge) everyone on the roster should be healthy going into camp. Maybe the injury bug doesn't hit as hard this season. Who knows? But, one things for sure, more concentration on the running game and getting the ball out quicker this year should help don't you think?

Plus, over the years I've watched Boudreau have some decent OLine play lining up guys like guys like a 36 year old Todd Steussie, Jets bust Wayne Hunter, Barry Richardson, Brett Romberg in a pinch. Even Joe Barksdale after he was cut.

In the end, I can understand the off-season paper champion mindset of loading up a unit with big names that can appease some fans prior to the season starting as it happens every year. I've just noticed that it means next to nothing when the games start.

Last edited:

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
Plus, over the years I've watched Boudreau have some decent OLine play lining up guys like guys like a 36 year old Todd Steussie, Jets bust Wayne Hunter, Barry Richardson, Brett Romberg in a pinch. Even Joe Barksdale after he was cut.

And after last year's disaster you are still confident in going that route? We can't afford to lose our starting QB again even if we want to be a running offense. And even a running offense needs blockers.
Our oline is not going to cut it with late round rookies and re-treads no matter who's coaching it.

Memphis Ram

Legend
And after last year's disaster you are still confident in going that route? We can't afford to lose our starting QB again even if we want to be a running offense. And even a running offense needs blockers.
Our oline is not going to cut it with late round rookies and re-treads no matter who's coaching it.

Alone? No. I'm not. But, that wasn't the only route I provided. That was if all else fails. See everything I posted above in my prior post of which kurtfaulk replied.

Besides, last year's disaster still helped the team averaged 4.1 yards per carry and blocked well enough for the offense to score points. And there may have been more if the backup QBs didn't miss open targets and/or the OC made adjustments that better fit his personnel.

Last edited:

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Again, the real key is what happens at QB and Offensive Coordinator.

I disagree with this statement. A large reason Hill and Davis struggled was due to unnecessary pressure. We also failed to win the line of scrimmage quite often. I don't know how a power running team wins games without winning the line of scrimmage. Every year we underestimate the importance of the OL. We complain about the state of it during th season when we can't do a damned thing on offense. And every following off season we talk about QBs, and WRs, and give off the "shoot, we'll fix that in the later rounds" type attention. And we fail most years.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Which is why this team went 6-10 and without significant improvement it will be another season of tears for everyone including Fisher and Snead.
Well, we don't know how it will all pan out until the season starts and unfolds.

BUT, if their plan doesn't work, yes - more pain and suffering.

You can't win consistently with the 31st ranked Oline in the league IMO.

I remain a firm believer that the game is won and lost in the trenches - BOTH trenches.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Personally, I am getting this feeling the game may have passed Boudreau by... what he did to Robinson in TC last year pushed the kid backwards... not forward.

I get it that he wants versatile linemen and all... but maybe you do that after a guy has been in the league a year or two? The kid admitted his head was spinning.

Boudreau's stock went down for me when he did that.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I disagree with this statement. A large reason Hill and Davis struggled was due to unnecessary pressure. We also failed to win the line of scrimmage quite often. I don't know how a power running team wins games without winning the line of scrimmage. Every year we underestimate the importance of the OL. We complain about the state of it during th season when we can't do a damned thing on offense. And every following off season we talk about QBs, and WRs, and give off the "shoot, we'll fix that in the later rounds" type attention. And we fail most years.

Sure the OLine had it's struggles. But, I'd say that a large reason that the QBs struggled was the same reason they had been BACKUP QBs in the first place.

I also saw poor reads, poor throws, questionable arm strength, and questionable decision making (due to inexperience for Davis). They also had an OC unable to make adjustments (especially after halftime) while at the same time making some questionable play calls.

And again, a bit the unnecessary pressure was due to the backs, TEs, and missed blitz reads by all ( BTW, Kendricks really had a down year blocking, IMO).

There was also some abandonment of the running game at times. And running plays where if the RBs had showed better vision & patience they would have had decent gains instead of running into the backs of their blockers.

I don't believe the Rams or anyone underestimates the OLine. They put together a decent line and injuries occurred. It happens. But, I am beginning to wonder if anyone was paying any attention to the other 6 guys on the field and the OC.

Last edited:

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Sure the OLine had it's struggles. But, I'd say that a large reason that the QBs struggled was the same reason they had been BACKUP QBs in the first place.

I also saw poor reads, poor throws, questionable arm strength, and questionable decision making (due to inexperience for Davis). They also had an OC unable to make adjustments (especially after halftime) while at the same time making some questionable play calls.

And again, a bit the unnecessary pressure was due to the backs, TEs, and missed blitz reads by all ( BTW, Kendricks really had a down year blocking, IMO).

There was also some abandonment of the running game at times. And running plays where if the RBs had showed better vision & patience they would have had decent gains instead of running into the backs of their blockers.

I don't believe the Rams or anyone underestimates the OLine. They put together a decent line and injuries occurred. It happens. But, I am beginning to wonder if anyone was paying any attention to the other 6 guys on the field and the OC.

Stressing the OL is nothing new for me. We could have been a playoff team last year with a new QB, C and RG. We've addressed the QB position before the draft adequately. We can draft who we want there now. The WRs are going to be the same. TEs the same. So no need to talk about them.

OC was addressed. Hopefully.

However, no amount of bad play by the QBs will cover up the OLs general inability to win or even maintain the line of scrimmage. It needs to be addressed, no other way around it.

There were more than a few people questioning the state of the OL going into last season, so I have to disagree with your assessment of decent in regards to that line. We had an old retread in Joseph, two recovering OL at LT and C, a guy who failed a physical in Oakland who needed shoulder surgery at G, and a subpar bench. Decent was the last word I would have used and I'd go so far as to say they as a group proved the other 6 guys got more attention.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Stressing the OL is nothing new for me. We could have been a playoff team last year with a new QB, C and RG. We've addressed the QB position before the draft adequately. We can draft who we want there now. The WRs are going to be the same. TEs the same. So no need to talk about them.

OC was addressed. Hopefully.

However, no amount of bad play by the QBs will cover up the OLs general inability to win or even maintain the line of scrimmage. It needs to be addressed, no other way around it.

There were more than a few people questioning the state of the OL going into last season, so I have to disagree with your assessment of decent in regards to that line. We had an old retread in Joseph, two recovering OL at LT and C, a guy who failed a physical in Oakland who needed shoulder surgery at G, and a subpar bench. Decent was the last word I would have used and I'd go so far as to say they as a group proved the other 6 guys got more attention.

But, they could have been a playoff team last year with those very same players if the defense lived up to their billing the entire season.

And no ones is arguing that the OLine doesn't need to be addressed. Of course it does.

But, the Rams weren't the only team in the league that has had OLine issues. The difference is the performance of the QBs and OC elsewhere. Seattle lost their starting center for most of the season due to injury and had journeymen replace him. They also had a struggling 2nd rounder playing RT, and a former 1st round bust OT at LG. QB and OC.

In 2013, the Cardinals had one of the worse OLine situations in the league with swinging gates Levi Brown at LT and Daryn Colledge at LG. Sendlein (who they tried to replace repeatedly) also started along with journeyman Fanaika and a declining late pickup in Winston at RG and RT (Massie and Cooper flopped and got hurt respectively). And they had the 12 highest rated offense in the NFL. Again, QB & OC.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
But, they could have been a playoff team last year with those very same players if the defense lived up to their billing the entire season.

And no ones is arguing that the OLine doesn't need to be addressed. Of course it does.

But, the Rams weren't the only team in the league that has had OLine issues. The difference is the performance of the QBs and OC elsewhere. Seattle lost their starting center for most of the season due to injury and had journeymen replace him. They also had a struggling 2nd rounder playing RT, and a former 1st round bust OT at LG. QB and OC.

In 2013, the Cardinals had one of the worse OLine situations in the league with swinging gates Levi Brown at LT and Daryn Colledge at LG. Sendlein (who they tried to replace repeatedly) also started along with journeyman Fanaika and a declining late pickup in Winston at RG and RT (Massie and Cooper flopped and got hurt respectively). And they had the 12 highest rated offense in the NFL. Again, QB & OC.

The 2000 Rams went 10-6 and made the playoffs with one of the worst defenses ever seen. Just because they did doesn't mean it didn't need fixing or that it proves you don't need defense to make the playoffs. Those two teams did well, yes. But Foles is our guy and he's no Wilson. He's not even 2013 Palmer right now. And our OC is who he is and is only allowed to do what Fisher allows him. So, we can fix the OL and succeed by running and controlling the LOS or we just stand pat and say we just need a QB and deal with it again. Fisher is who he is and he isn't changing. 2014 Foles isn't much better than last year's QBs. So I don't see another option here.