Silva: Rams Lack of Urgency on O-Line Amazing/Alarming

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Why, especially with regards to the building of the O-line? They haven't even been able to get above .500. They deserve to be questioned at this point in their tenure.

People love to say their sub-par record is because Bradford kept getting hurt. Well, what was part of the reason he kept getting hurt? It's because they failed to build a competent O-line that could protect him.
Why? Because I'm a patient man, and Bradford was not the only one getting racked up on offence the last couple of years! Long, Saffold, Wells, and Barks dale have all suffered from injuries or Illness over the last year or so! then you can look at the injuries we have had on Defense, and the effect that has on the Offence!
BUT, that said, I'm not saying my patience is endless!!

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Haven't we made some significant changes in the OL by getting rid of some dead weight?

I'm not here making excuses, plus I want them to draft OL every year. We haven't got it right in the past, that is for sure. I think there are potential starters through 3-4 rounds of this draft. It just depends on how it falls. We have a few players on the team we have been developing, and hopefully they are ready to play. We need to nail it this year, through the draft.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
This talk of players not interested in the Rams is not right. Players will sign with anyone for the right amount. And with $23 mil in cap space the Rams had to money to bring it at least one top FA OL and a good BU but chose not to sign anyone ( cant count the one they signed because they let another go). Very discouraging.
This talk of players not interested in the Rams is not right. Players will sign with anyone for the right amount. And with $23 mil in cap space the Rams had to money to bring it at least one top FA OL and a good BU but chose not to sign anyone ( cant count the one they signed because they let another go). Very discouraging.
not sure what's "not right" about it. it's just a possibility whether likely or not. players sign and don't sign with teams for multiple reasons. not every player is just a money hungry fiend. it could be location, coaches, teammates, winning record etc.

V3

Hall of Fame
Why? Because I'm a patient man, and Bradford was not the only one getting racked up on offence the last couple of years! Long, Saffold, Wells, and Barks dale have all suffered from injuries or Illness over the last year or so! then you can look at the injuries we have had on Defense, and the effect that has on the Offence!
BUT, that said, I'm not saying my patience is endless!!
Long was injury prone before they signed him. Wells was old and overpaid- I even predicted at the time of his signing that he'd start getting dinged up at his age and you shouldn't sign players that good franchises are quick to discard. Saffold is one of the most injury prone players on the team and this regime signed him to a ridiculous contract. Wasn't shocked at all when I heard he was injured again. Barks was a FA they picked up for nothing and has been one of the only constants on the line even though his play isn't what I'd call inspiring. So we have all these old, injury prone, and/or mediocre players on the O-line and people were surprised it didn't work out?

The fact that this line has been so bad hasn't surprised me in the slightest. The very first Rams draft for this regime I wanted them to draft David DeCastro and Cordy Glenn with their first two picks. I'd still rather have them over who they took. Bradford might have played all of last season.

This regime has had plenty of time to fix their O-line and they've failed.

Stel

Starter
I asked when... and, if it turns out ot be the first game, Fisher and Snead ought to be fired.

They get paid handsomely for getting ahead of the curve on needs... being in a position like that on day one is cause for dismissal IMHO.

Actually, they get paid to field the best team they can. Acting publicly in a way to make fans feel better 4+ months in advance of the start of the season isn't part of their job. If they don't field a competent Oline in the first game, they have failed. The quality of the Oline on April 21 says nothing about how well they are doing their job.

V3

Hall of Fame
His first knee injury was on a questionable hit as he went out of bounds. Could happen with the best line in NFL history. The second knee injury was when it was breathed on wrong.

There have definitely been line problems - major ones - but it's dubious to put Bradford's knee injuries on them.
Why was Bradford running out of bounds? Because he felt his protection was collapsing so he was running for his life. The second one was directly because J Long got beat like a rented mule. If he doesn't get beat so badly, Bradford almost assuredly doesn't get injured on that play.

I'm not absolving Bradford for being injury prone but it was a know fact(at least to many) that Bradford was fragile. If you know something very important is fragile, you put extra effort into protecting it.

V3

Hall of Fame
Pretty obvious with the draft presented, ... a trade down and a trade back up with the two 2'nds you would now have. As far as CAP, least of my worries when after the draft we should have something better than $5.mil on hand plus an ability to still restructure a contract or two. This also discounts our own potential CAP casualty cuts between the draft and the beginning of the season.

I never said 'everything' will be OK, I can't make a judgment like that until we are well into the new season. Mathis would become a stop gap at LG, just as Barksdale would become a stop-gap at RT, and Barnes/Jones a potential stop-gap at Center. All three of these players would become solid depth when the rookies are prepared to move into the line-up. Mathis is a Pro-Bowler who could be an ideal fit between Robinson & whoever happens to become the new Center.

I can't worry about what got us to the point we are at now, that's history, but I can, like others here, offer what I believe may be a solution. Some like to fix blame, I prefer to fix the problem.
jmo.
I don't believe there is a satisfactory fix anymore...at least not for this year. It's going to take at least another season for the rookies to get the line where it needs to be and that's assuming they pan out. I also have little faith in Jones or whoever they have planned for C being good enough. Foles is similar to Bradford, IMO, in regards to NEEDING a very good O-line. It might be mediocre to average with some top O-line picks this year but that isn't going to be enough IMO.

We'll see.

Memphis Ram

Legend
What's really alarming is all the angst so many have SO EARLY.

The Rams know what their OLine situation looks like better than anyone else and they haven't proven to be incompetent so far.

My or your way to upgrade the OLine for 2015 isn't the only way.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Why was Bradford running out of bounds? Because he felt his protection was collapsing so he was running for his life. The second one was directly because J Long got beat like a rented mule. If he doesn't get beat so badly, Bradford almost assuredly doesn't get injured on that play.

I'm not absolving Bradford for being injury prone but it was a know fact(at least to many) that Bradford was fragile. If you know something very important is fragile, you put extra effort into protecting it.

There's not been a line in the history of the NFL where the QB hasn't needed to scramble at times. If the standard you're expecting is perfection, that's not going to happen. In fact, he didn't see anybody open downfield, saw some space to run, and scrambled, then got hit as he was stepping out of bounds. It happens. And it's not like Long gave up a hard hit - literally, Bradford was brushed by a rusher - again, no line in history was so good that such never happened. Blaming the OL for a cheap hit past the line of scrimmage going out of bounds, and for a DE brushing against Bradford and Bradford somehow being crippled is putting an impossible standard on the OL. They have had many issues, but the first I put on a cheap hit going out of bounds and the second on Bradford being rushed back. Hindsight is easy, of course.

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
The quality of the Oline on April 21 says nothing about how well they are doing their job.
I think it does say a lot when the Rams sit and watch teams sign quality OL FA's and they sign none and now go into draft and near the end of FA down 3 starting OL and a couple back ups. Especailly after they dumped Bradford and had $23 mill in cap space.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think it does say a lot when the Rams sit and watch teams sign quality OL FA's and they sign none and now go into draft and near the end of FA down 3 starting OL and a couple back ups. Especailly after they dumped Bradford and had $23 mill in cap space.

First off, since I think they believe they have their starting center in house, it's down 2 starting OL. Then there are basically all the guards they've had their eyes on still available, and are still negotiating apparently with the RT option.

I'm still hoping they sign Barksdale, though he's not great - but was arguably the best RT option this offseason. And there are several older OGs available, to start until draftees are ready.

I would have liked them to sign a premium OL - but I'm not sure who that would have been, really.

And yes, I'm impatient too. Just not panicking, since there are basically all the options they really were considering remaining anyway.

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
They will find help in the draft but how often do rookies become NFL starters right away? I think trying to cram 2-3 rookies into the OL is a mistake. I think it's a recipe for another below average campaign. And honestly if the Rams don't make the playoffs this coming season I am totally giving up on Fisher. Four years and he can't get above .500? That's really a sad record with the Rams and then looking at his previous success says a lot about him as a HC.

MauiRam

Rookie
If the Rams see better O-line talent across the board in the draft, kudos to them for not overpaying guys past their prime. We’ve already got one guy (Saffold) with a shoulder injury, did we really need two (Wis)? It appears Barky and Blalock will not be signed until after the draft - by any team. I for one would prefer a healthy Barrett Jones to a banged up Wis. Jones will be given every opportunity to win the starting job. There is a reason the Rams stuck with him throughout his injuries - perhaps we’ll see why this year.

The best way to build a team (and that obviously would include depth) is through the draft - not FA. We need to save money to keep the good players we already have when their contracts expire. Hopefully our scouts are earning their checks, and we will reap the benefits of their knowledge.

To think that Fish and Snead are oblivious to our paucity of O-line depth is ludicrous. For them to give lip service to it at this time of year in particular is beyond ludicrous. Fish has made it clear many times that he is a proponent of running the football - should we suppose he doesn’t know it all starts up front? Patience …

FRO

Legend
What's really alarming is all the angst so many have SO EARLY.

The Rams know what their OLine situation looks like better than anyone else and they haven't proven to be incompetent so far.

My or your way to upgrade the OLine for 2015 isn't the only way.
Yeah, but the offensive line has been an issue since Fisher and Snead took over day one. To me that's what's alarming. At C they have guys like Jones and Rhaney they want to give a shot. That's cool with me. It's the lack of young depth. We have failed to stock the offensive line like we have the defensive line. That to me is the issue. It's not a one offseason problem.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Actually, they get paid to field the best team they can. Acting publicly in a way to make fans feel better 4+ months in advance of the start of the season isn't part of their job. If they don't field a competent Oline in the first game, they have failed. The quality of the Oline on April 21 says nothing about how well they are doing their job.

Boy, I'm confused...

On one hand you say:
" If they don't field a competent Oline in the first game, they have failed."

On the other hand, you say: "The quality of the Oline on April 21 says nothing about how well they are doing their job."

If their job is to field the best team and a big piece of it is looking like Swiss cheese, haven't they failed?

I must be missing somethin...
o_O