SI: Report: Rams want to restructure Sam Bradford's contract

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
I think this is less "No freaking duh" and more "We knew this was likely coming". Whether they'll be able to is another story though. Sam's agents do have leverage with the lack of better options.

http://www.si.com/nfl/2015/02/09/st-louis-rams-sam-bradford-contract

The St. Louis Rams want to restructure the final season of quarterback Sam Bradford’s rookie contract, reports Jim Thomas of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.

Bradford signed a six-year, $78 million deal before his rookie season in 2011 and is scheduled to make $12.985 million next season, with a $16.58 million cap number.

Rams coach Jeff Fisher said that he would like to have Bradford back for the 2015 season, but he would have to rework his deal and win the starting job.

Bradford, 27, missed the entire 2014 season after re-injuring his surgically repaired left knee in the third week of the preseason. Bradford also missed the last nine games in 2013 after injuring the knee for the first time.

He has completed 58.6 percent of his passes for 11,065 yards with 59 touchdowns and 38 interceptions in his five NFL seasons.

Bradford has said he would understand if the team went out and got a free-agent or picked a quarterback during this year’s draft, considering his salary and injury history.

The Rams went 6-10 last season, have not finished .500 since 2006 and haven't had a winning record since 2003.

- Scooby Axson

Last edited:

tahoe

Pro Bowler
Yeah this is a no brainer and I think it will get done

lockdnram21

Legend
Yeah this is a no brainer and I think it will get done
Dont think Bradford will restructure unless he gets extension. why would he expecially with his last 2 injuries this could be his last contract if he gets another major injury.Think he will be back on his same contract. like article says he has leverage

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Dont think Bradford will restructure unless he gets extension. why would he expecially with his last 2 injuries this could be his last contract if he gets another major injury.Think he will be back on his same contract. like article says he has leverage
Just to clarify, that bit before the link was written by me. Everything after the link is the article.

lockdnram21

Legend
Just to clarify, that bit before the link was written by me. Everything after the link is the article.
aw ok but i agree with you he has leverage and dont think he restructures unless he gets extension with more years

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I like Sam. A lot. But I would not give him an extension. He has this year to prove that he can play again in this league. If he decides against restructuring with a pay-for-play contract, I would outright release him.

bluecoconuts

Legend
In other breaking news, scientists have determined that the sky appears blue. Riviting things coming out today.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I dont know how Sam can restructure UNLESS there's an extension involved

FRO

Legend
The Rams don't want Bradford to restructure. They want him to take a pay cut. I doubt Bradford wants that and with the weak QB market I doubt he does. I would rather be able to make a clean break on him after this season if he fails than owe him money next year. If he plays well he would get his contract reworked anyways.

ram007

Starter
Bradford will get all of $12.5 million. Rams have no leverage against Bradford. Nada. Ziltch.

It sucks to repeat again: Rams dropped the ball when they didn't select one QB in the high rounds of draft in 2013 and 2014

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Bradford will get all of $12.5 million. Rams have no leverage against Bradford. Nada. Ziltch.

It sucks to repeat again: Rams dropped the ball when they didn't select one QB in the high rounds of draft in 2013 and 2014
You think Sam will get 13 mill on an open market?

ram007

Starter
You think Sam will get 13 mill on an open market?

They promoted an in house assistant to OC to keep the play book same. This is Fisher's last year as NFL head coach if he ends up 6-10 again. Bradford knows this, why does he want to take less than $12.5 million?

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
No worries guys. He'll hit the open market, sign a decent contact and fail a physical. He'll come back to us and sign for less.

Irish

Starter

False.

Sam can be cut and count for 3.595 Mil. dead money next year. The Rams would save 12.985 Mil. next year.

Cutting Sam is the only viable option at this point, IMO. If he wants to resign a heavily incentive laden deal with minimal guaranteed money, then fine. If he thinks someone will PAY him again, I think he is crazy. Too many young QBs having too much success making peanuts right now, it just doesn't make sense to sign a FA QB, an oft injured one at that, and commit to a huge contract.

ram007

Starter
False.

Sam can be cut and count for 3.595 Mil. dead money next year. The Rams would save 12.985 Mil. next year.

Cutting Sam is the only viable option at this point, IMO. If he wants to resign a heavily incentive laden deal with minimal guaranteed money, then fine. If he thinks someone will PAY him again, I think he is crazy. Too many young QBs having too much success making peanuts right now, it just doesn't make sense to sign a FA QB, an oft injured one at that, and commit to a huge contract.

I agree with you. How I am seeing it is: Rams painted themselves into a corner and Bradford ends with all the leverage. They may do a nominal restructure to keep the masses happy but I expect Bradford to get all of his $12.5 million this year

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They promoted an in house assistant to OC to keep the play book same. This is Fisher's last year as NFL head coach if he ends up 6-10 again. Bradford knows this, why does he want to take less than $12.5 million?
Its 13 million and if they cut him who is going to pay him that?
The Rams have leverage, otherwise there wouldnt be any negotiation.

lockdnram21

Legend
False.

Sam can be cut and countor 3.595 Mil. dead money next year. The Rams would save 12.985 Mil. next year.

well according to this http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...sam-bradford-if-released-over-mariota-winston Teams want him over Winston and Mariota if hes cut

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They want take a chance. If they cut him to try to come up with another deal he might want to go somewhere else like Buffalo
The point is that unless Sam is convinced he can get 13 mill on an open market, the Rams have leverage too

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Rams coach Jeff Fisher said that he would like to have Bradford back for the 2015 season, but he would have to rework his deal and win the starting job.
Iknow Fisher said something about QB competition, But I don't recall him ever saying anything about Sam would have to 'rework his deal'!!

I dont know how Sam can restructure UNLESS there's an extension involved
I'm under the same impression!