SI.com's 2018 NFL Predictions: Team-by-Team Records, Playoffs and Super Bowl LIII Champion

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/08/21/n...eam-records-playoffs-super-bowl-liii-champion

2018 NFL Predictions: Team-by-Team Records, Playoffs and Super Bowl LIII Champion
By ANDY BENOIT

Getty Images

COMPLETE PROJECTED 2018 STANDINGS AND POSTSEASON

AFC EAST

Patriots: 12–4
Jets: 9–7
Dolphins: 7–9
Bills: 4–12

AFC NORTH

Steelers: 11–5
Ravens: 7–9
Browns: 4–12
Bengals: 4–12

AFC SOUTH

Jaguars: 10–6
Texans: 9–7
Titans: 8–8
Colts: 5–11

AFC WEST

Chargers: 10–6
Broncos: 8–8
Chiefs: 7–9
Raiders: 5–11

Wild Card

3. Chargers over 6. Jets
4. Jaguars over 5. Texans

Divisional Round

1. Patriots over 4. Jaguars
2. Steelers over 3. Chargers

Championship Game

2. Steelers over 1. Patriots

NFC EAST

Eagles: 11–5
Giants: 8–8
Cowboys: 8–8
Redskins: 5–11

NFC NORTH

Packers: 11–5
Vikings: 11–5
Lions:10–6
Bears: 7–9

NFC SOUTH

Falcons: 12–4
Saints: 11–5
Panthers: 7–9
Buccaneers: 5–11

NFC WEST

Rams: 10–6
49ers: 9–7
Seahawks: 7–9
Cardinals: 4–12

Wild Card

6. Saints over 3. Eagles
5. Vikings over 4. Rams

Divisional Round

1. Falcons over 6. Saints
5. Vikings over 2. Packers

Championship Game

1. Falcons over 5. Vikings

SUPER BOWL LIII
Feb. 3, 2019, Mercedes-Benz Stadium in Atlanta

1. Falcons over 2. Steelers, 27–24
----------------------------------------------------------------------
• The NFC will be stronger at the top and deeper than the AFC. Take the Lions, my NFC No. 7 seed. In the AFC I’d have them as a No. 3 or a 4.

• All five first-round rookie QBs—Baker Mayfield (Browns), Sam Darnold (Jets), Josh Allen (Bills), Josh Rosen (Cardinals) and Lamar Jackson (Ravens)—will take over before the season ends.

Especially with the CBA limiting practice time, there just aren’t enough reps for young passers to develop from the bench. Through 2017, 24 of the last 27 first-round QBs became their team’s starter as a rookie. The trend will continue.

• One glaring weakness can keep an otherwise playoff-caliber team home in January. For the Cowboys, that will be receiver and tight end. For the Giants, depth on offense. For the Panthers, run blocking. The Niners? Their secondary.

• The L.A. teams are trendy Super Bowl picks, but they aren’t without flaws. The Rams’ lack of edge rushers and linebackers will hurt. The Chargers’ run defense is overly reliant on rookies.

• The hype around Deshaun Watson is justified, but expect some sophomore growing pains. Watson spent the offseason rehabbing his torn ACL and he doesn’t yet have a sense for what risks are worth taking. Texans fans should be much more excited about the future than the present.

• Run-pass options (RPOs) were the most-studied tactic by coaches this offseason, and they’ll surge in 2018. But the revolution is bigger than just RPOs. More and more, offenses are designing plays to manipulate unblocked defenders: jet sweeps, fake reverse action, misdirection screens and multi-option zone reads all accomplish this. The five teams that do that best: Eagles, Patriots, Chiefs, Saints and Rams. All except the Chiefs are Super Bowl contenders.

• ...And yet I’m picking the Falcons to be the first team to play (and win) a Super Bowl at home. Atlanta has a diverse, electrifying offense quarterbacked by 2016 MVP Matt Ryan. They also have a fast, unified defense built around guys in their prime.

In the AFC, the Patriots feel a touch weaker this year, so I’m giving that conference to the Steelers, who can win with a smashmouth ground game or a high-flying spread passing game. They, too, have a defense in its prime. But the Falcons are a more complete team. Atlanta finally gets its Lombardi Trophy.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
I think the Rams will best 10-6, but it wouldn't shock me if we lose any starting corner.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No matter our record, if the Rams don't win a playoff game this year it'll be a colossal disappointment.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
With the Rams interior pass rush it will just flush the QB to an OLB. Edge rush problem solved .And I am certain that WP knows how to utilize the bodies he has at LB.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
Just because a position is a question mark, does not mean we dont have good answers. Also, the 9ers cornerbacks are there down fall? Sorry, but over rating a qb is going to be the big problem.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Just because a position is a question mark, does not mean we dont have good answers. Also, the 9ers cornerbacks are there down fall? Sorry, but over rating a qb is going to be the big problem.
I used to have the same attitude. But Jimmy Garappolo is looking pretty good. I think we will be surprised with him.

JRobinson

MiLB
The only reason we would go 10-6 is if we lose Goff. We are deep at every position except for QB and OLB (arguable to me). Like my brother said on our podcast, most every team is in the same boat as the Rams when it comes to backup QB.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
I honestly dont care about the season record , if this team is healthy heading into the playoffs they will win at least 1 game .

Steelers are over the hill, no way Ben can keep playing good and thier secondary is very suspect

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
I'd rather have people underestimate us, than hype us, as well.

It is the hip thing to say we are weak at linebacker. Hey NFL, meet Mr. Ebukam. Also, Cory Littleton has shown himself to be a playmaker, along with Barron inside. possibly Longacre, the Law Firm, possibly Easley lining up outside. Lawler.

Kiser, Wilson and Hager as other possibilities on the inside.

And all this with one of our big hopes on the outside - Obo- nursing injuries, and maybe out of the picture this year.

I get what the pundits are saying. After Barron, there is not a lot of starting experience in our line backing corps, but there is a big difference between having no answers, or weak talent, and having unproven, talented players, with lots of upside.

I am excited for our line backing corps to emerge this year. Wade is not worried, I suspect. I am not worried.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
I used to have the same attitude. But Jimmy Garappolo is looking pretty good. I think we will be surprised with him.
I admit to 9er hate and it might cloud my judgement, but I think he will struggle and the media will make excuses for him. His oline needs upgrade, his receivers aren't as good as goff's. He would have won if the defence didn't let him down.
There has been a small sample size and I think now that the film is out, he will be just a guy.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
We are going to regress ridiculous. The are massively better on defense and we are upgraded at WR plus everyone has had a full year on offense with McVay.

Like I keep saying 13-3 is an easy layup this year and favorites for the Superbowl. This team is so stacked overall better than GSOT. Our ST and defense is way better and our Offense is marginally not as good as Warner and the boys. We averaged just under 30 a game this year my guess we average 32+ ppg which is not that far behind the GSOT.

A55VA6

Legend
10-6 is quite possible, but I'm thinking 11-5 or 12-4 this year. We have to take a step forward from last year, and that is winning a playoff game.

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
10-6 is the WORST we can do imo. We came from under the radar last year and surprised the NFL. The other teams have had time to watch tape on us and understand us better. We just have to keep things fresh and unpredictable, as well as dominate with our D.

LuvMeThemRams

Rookie
I think Cousins is seriously over rated, like Foles he was a one game wonder... "you like that!" game. Don't see them at 11-5, I see us at 11-5 again and losing in the NFC championship game to the Saints.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think Cousins is seriously over rated, like Foles he was a one game wonder... "you like that!" game. Don't see them at 11-5, I see us at 11-5 again and losing in the NFC championship game to the Saints.

i don't see the rams losing any games. not that it won't happen but i don't see it.