shutdown-countdown power ranking

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Football is such an interesting sport to me.

Been watching it and attending games for over 45 years now.

Every few years, a coach (or staff) comes up with something that hadn't been done before... Air Coryell... West Coast Offense... GSOT ;)

But, over time, opponents figure out ways to either stop it altogether or severely hamper it.

For years now, it's "a passing league" and "it's a QC driven league".

So, Seatlle and San Francisco are winning mostly on really stout defenses and opportunistic offenses (not "passing league" and "QB driven" stuff per se).

The Rams seem to be heading in that direction as well.

So, while that cliche "Defense wins championships" has been around for decades... it was silenced for many years... maybe we're coming full circle now? Rams have to hope so!
TBH, I'm not sure it was silenced in reality. Look at the past decade of what drove teams' championships.

2013 - Seattle - defense
2012 - Ravens - defense
2011 - Giants - defense
2010 - Packers - offense
2009 - Saints - offense
2008 - Steelers - defense
2007 - Giants - defense
2006 - Colts - offense
2005 - Steelers - defense

You've got a ton of teams winning with defense in the modern era. And when you have high-octane offenses going against high-octane defenses, the defenses are winning - unbeaten Pats vs. evil Giants D-line, Manning & Co. vs. the Seahawks, etc.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Funny, I think the section of his article was called "The crystal ball says..."

I think his take was reasonable and even handed. You can disagree with his projections but Sam's career 58% completion rate, near last in the league yards per attempt/completion, and 79 passer rating will not buy him a lot of love from any objective observers.

BTW, Rams fans are not considered objective observers of the Rams. We are fanatics!
I stand on my comments with an arsenal. This was biased reporting at its finest. You can agree o disagree...proof is in the pudding.
In my years as a Rams fan, which is many, I have seen a lot come and go, and I have also seen a lot of agenda biased reporting. You take it how you want, and I will take it how I want. Sam will prove us right or wrong. You or I don't need to, but the proof for me, in him being a good QB, is inconclusive at this point.

Last edited:

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Pretty much spot on other than a few puzzling comments. He is absolutely right when he states that Sam had his best games against bad teams and he also put up a lot of those stats in garbage time against prevent defenses. As long as Sam is proficient this year, the Rams should win plenty of games. We don't need him to be "great". We finally have a TEAM that can help shoulder the load.

AZRamsFan93

I stand on my comments with an arsenal. This was biased reporting at its finest. You can agree o disagree...proof is in the pudding.
In my years as a Rams fan, which is many, I have seen a lot come and go, and I have also seen a lot of agenda biased reporting. You take it how you want, and I will take it how I want. Sam will prove us right or wrong. You or I don't need to, but the proof for me, in him being a good QB, is inconclusive at this point.
I agree completely. Sam will prove his status on the field. My point was that he has not proved it as yet, and the article was fair in pointing that out.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
Don't like the remark that Sam showed more bad than good! Haven't seen much bad from Sam in his years here! Guess these guys don't watch the Rams play!