Should we bring them back?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I'm kinda surprised that you guys aren't also just as interested in what my new dog's reaction was the very 1st time that he ever heard a doorbell sound.

He had NEVER even heard a doorbell. He hears a doorbell sound from our television on some commercial. Jumps up and runs to the opposite end of the house and completely away from the actual sound so that he could jump all over the front door. There was absolutely no way in hell for him to associate the doorbell sound with our front door. He had never... and I mean NEVER... heard the sound of a doorbell in his entire life before that day.

What does he do now when he hears a doorbell.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
What does he do now when he hears a doorbell.

Same thing... he goes ape shit with this warning bark that he has only ever used when he hears a doorbell sound (he does it with knocking too now) and runs to the front door. Keep in mind... the doorbell at our house is almost never used. He hears the doorbell sounds from the television almost exclusively.

It's completely obvious to us that this was a behavior/instinct/memory that was somehow genetically passed on to him from his parents. It was fascinating to watch that very 1st time... and we all laugh when he does it today because we saw it that 1st time. Poor Judah never gives up though... even though the TV doorbell sound never leads to someone actually being at our front door.

ozarkram

Hall of Shame
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm kinda surprised that you guys aren't also just as interested in what my new dog's reaction was the very 1st time that he ever heard a doorbell sound.

He had NEVER even heard a doorbell. He hears a doorbell sound from our television on some commercial. Jumps up and runs to the opposite end of the house and completely away from the actual sound so that he could jump all over the front door. There was absolutely no way in hell for him to associate the doorbell sound with our front door. He had never... and I mean NEVER... heard the sound of a doorbell in his entire life before that day.
This is interesting. Been around dogs all of my life was even a breeder for a short time. (funny story there) Never seen that before.

coconut

Pro Bowler
Name
coconut

As a Doggie Psychiatrist I suspect the behavior goes back to his earliest puppy days when he was in the home environment you described with his trainer. An obvious case of pre-emptive separation anxiety compounded by unrequited puppy love. In other words he had the hots for the little bitch on Teat 3, Row 2. Before he could express his feelings the door bell rang and she was scooped up and gone from his life forever. He associates the door bell ringing with a loved one being taken away from him. Thus it pisses him off and he will never let it happen again. Thats $150. Thanks.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
So the original thought begs a question.

What do Mastadon taste like?