Should the Rams trade Tyler Higbee?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
I hope they draft a good TE. Darnell Washington, Schoonmaker or Davis Allen.

AZRams

What, we're all thinking it...
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
To clarify I wasn't suggesting that they should trade him for all the reasons that have been given in the replies. Additionally, I think one of those other pieces--if you're gonna try and get an additional '23 pick or two--are worth more on the trade market than a TE that isn't named Kelce.

Tumak61

Pro Bowler
Name
Tumak61
Higbee is an okay blocker and good at running screens. Take away those screens and how productive is he really? That said I don't see a trade market for him. I think they either release him or bring him back depending on how they view his value at this point.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
I'd only consider trading Higbeast if A) it was a solid offer for a 3rd or in that area B) we have a solid chance of signing a solid vet TE (there are several hitting market; i.e. Gesicki, Schultz, Engram, Irv Smith, etc) C) we are drafting one as well. Rookie TE's are very rarely effective for first few seasons, we need one contributing day one.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The counter point is that this is a loaded draft class for TEs. Dane Brugler of the Athletic has 5 of them in his top 100 players which is pretty rare.

However, rookie TEs usually take time to develop. Plus you're gaining potentially a draft pick to then spend one on the need you just created. With only a modest cap space gain I think it doesn't make sense.
I don't think they need to move him. He's not a problem in terms of pay vs performance. And behind him we are shit.

But... Only thing that gives me pause is what you allude to with this draft. There are some guys in this class who could help us. And given that we don't primarily target TEs in the pattern anyway when Higbee is in there, I don't think the dropoff would be too great from Higs to some of these guys. By that I mean it's not like we'd be replacing Kittle. Higs is pedestrian as hell. Average at best.

So if they are certain there will be multiple guys who represent a non-dropoff then yeah that could lead to them moving Higs. But I would prefer they simply take a TE and keep Higs. Then work said TE into some 12 sets and maybe we finally end up with a TE who can change games.

oldnotdead

Legend
I see them targeting a TE in the mid-rounds if they get a 4th or 5th round comp pick. TE is a lower priority right now.

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
I didn't realise that Gesicki was available. I'd sign Gesicki and trade Higs for a draft pick in that case (if I was playing Madden... I appreciate the real world is different)

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Not unless you have a better option waiting in the wings. And that would exclude any rookie.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I didn't realise that Gesicki was available. I'd sign Gesicki and trade Higs for a draft pick in that case (if I was playing Madden... I appreciate the real world is different)
Gesicki can't block for shit. He's basically an addition to the WR room and a mediocre one at that.

What they need is a TE who can win on the edge in the run game but also move the chains in the pass game. A real TE. If the Rams go after Gesicki it will be a really bad sign for our future IMO.

dang

Legend
I want to know why Higbee looks so good at the start and end of a season but looks below. average in the middle of a season. Is it injuries?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
There are a few good reasons to trade proven talent. Does Higbee fit any of these?

1. When a team has a surplus they can deal from strength.
2. To start a rebuild
3. If another team values them way more than the coaches do, and are willing to overpay.
4. The players contract is about to expire and the cap relief and getting a good pick. Is better than the hole left if the player is traded.

I don’t think Higbee fits any of these.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
There are a few good reasons to trade proven talent. Does Higbee fit any of these?

1. When a team has a surplus they can deal from strength.
2. To start a rebuild
3. If another team values them way more than the coaches do, and are willing to overpay.
4. The players contract is about to expire and the cap relief and getting a good pick. Is better than the hole left if the player is traded.

I don’t think Higbee fits any of these.
#4 and possibly #3.

He is not a difference maker and he gets hurt alot. And they could use the cap room and this is a great yr for drafting a TE on the middle rounds.

A solid cheap vet and Hopkins can hold the fort until a rookie is ready to contribute consistently.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Gesicki can't block for shit. He's basically an addition to the WR room and a mediocre one at that.

What they need is a TE who can win on the edge in the run game but also move the chains in the pass game. A real TE. If the Rams go after Gesicki it will be a really bad sign for our future IMO.

He can do a mean white dad griddy tho.

6xd1fw.gif

Also wtf is going on with threads about trading away the teams best players?

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I'd love to draft Tucker Kraft in the second round if we do trade Higbee (and maybe even if we don't; Hopkins inspires no confidence). He reminds me of George Kittle. No, I'm not exaggerating; he's the best blocking tight end in the draft, and he has an interesting skillset that lends itself to more production.

Gandalf

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wouldn't save much money and would net a late round pick. By the time you pay the deadcap it would only save about $4mil and you would have to get a replacement. I would keep him.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
never should have traded woods, only dumb move McSnead have made.
train
At the time it seemed like a good move. Allen Robinson was thought to be more of a fit with Stafford. But those two never got on the same page. Hopefully another season will give them a better rapport together. If Stafford is stuck on Kupp defenses will gladly let Kupp have his ten catches and a TD if no one else contributes. Stafford needs to spread it around more than he did last season.