Should the Rams select Eddie Lacy, if he is available?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Vault 82

Rookie
Honestly, yes. I've said that I like where we are at RB. Here's the thing though, I think D. Richardson can be a star but I'm not so sure he won't be best in a 2 back system. Pead, has shown good and bad, so we really don't know. If Steven leaves... now how does Lacy sound? Even if Steven stays, still if Lacy is there, he's probably the BPA. I would hate to pass him up, and see him go do work on another team. I think a lot of people may be getting fooled by thinking he's not all that because of Alabama's O-line. Lacy looks like a heck of a back to me.

Speeps

Starter
Yes. Opponents of this idea will cite that the Rams selected Pead in the second round, and Daryl Richardson played very well, however, there's nothing wrong with having 3 quality backs on a roster.

Lacey runs hard, is built like a tank, very powerful, and has good vision out of the backfield. I would like to see what he does in terms of pass protection and catching the ball out of the backfield.

iced

Depending on who is there of course, but I do not like Lacie at #16 - especially if Warmack is available.

I personally would rather dodge Lacie entirely in the first round, and I want to see what Pead/Richardson can do if Jackson doesn't return. I think it's too quick to give up on Pead.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I believe when the Rams pick, they will scrutinize the difference between their Best Players Available and I don't think they'll go RB with all the other holes to fill.

Lacy looks great! But he feels like a luxury pick and I doubt he'll be rated that much further ahead of any others available at the selection.

Vault 82

Rookie
That's the nice thing about being at 16 and 22, technically we could get a nice OL and Lacy. But I will be pretty surprised if Lacy isn't off the board by 16.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Speeps said:
Yes. Opponents of this idea will cite that the Rams selected Pead in the second round, and Daryl Richardson played very well, however, there's nothing wrong with having 3 quality backs on a roster.

Lacey runs hard, is built like a tank, very powerful, and has good vision out of the backfield. I would like to see what he does in terms of pass protection and catching the ball out of the backfield.

I would say with the end of mega rookie contracts, it doesn't really matter that much where you drafted positions in the past. If you need a position filled and you can fill that spot with the best out there, then you fill it. The question IMO is if we need a RB in THIS draft. Probably the biggest single factor there is if we come to terms with SJ. If we do then I'd say no. We all are aware of the short life span of RBs. I don't know if there is another prospect that even looks better in 2014 - maybe - maybe not. I'm sure that will weigh into the SJ negotiations though.

I will say that it appears that most of Lacy's big carries appear to happen AFTER he gets through a wide open hole at the line. Will those be there at the next level? Not with us unless we also make some moves along the O-line.

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
I was livid when we drafted Jackson. Ok, I was16 years old and did not understand long term thinking in the NFL. My exact words were "RB? The last thing we need!" We had #28 and we were a pretty good team. I was wrong. I want Eddie lacy on this team.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Well, first off when it comes to the NFL Draft especially the early rounds I'm like a high school cheerleader...I like them all! Lacy is big that is something that does not seem that is produced anymore a big running back and Lacy also can catch the ball very well out of the backfield.

I will trust Snead & Company on this pick, but if the Rams do select Eddie Lacy I shall not shed a tear, nor sir! Because the man donning number forty-two can talcom powder out of you!

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
den-the-coach said:
Well, first off when it comes to the NFL Draft especially the early rounds I'm like a high school cheerleader...I like them all! Lacy is big that is something that does not seem that is produced anymore a big running back and Lacy also can catch the ball very well out of the backfield.

I will trust Snead & Company on this pick, but if the Rams do select Eddie Lacy I shall not shed a tear, nor sir! Because the man donning number forty-two can talcom powder out of you!

:bg:

I won't throw a fit if we draft Lacy either. He's a legit talent. Adding talent to the team is the name of the game.

So, if Lacy is their pick; they have a plan to build this team and I respect them for it. It's nice to feel such confidence in the leadership as we can with Snead/Fisher/Demoff.

Vault 82

Rookie
You have to think that with our first pick we're going to get one of 3 guys. Warmack, Lacy, or Allen. Man, all of those sound good to me. Then who knows at 22. I think its' going to be another good draft for us. :yeh:

ImTheCrew

UDFA
Warmack won't be there IMO. I think Lacey's a good pick for the rams and the fishster.

biggame1190

Starter
Name
CB
I would only if SJ is not returning. Which I am fully on board for a SJ39 return to STL to finish his career because of both his legacy and ability to still play the game in all phases (running, pass catching, SUPERB QB PROTECTION).

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
biggame1190 said:
I would only if SJ is not returning. Which I am fully on board for a SJ39 return to STL to finish his career because of both his legacy and ability to still play the game in all phases (running, pass catching, SUPERB QB PROTECTION).

This ^^^

RamsNation

Rookie
Yeah wouldn't want him if SJ was returning,and to be honest even if he wasn't I'd rather just run with Pead/Rich/FA I don't want to spend another premiere pick on another RB.We have much bigger holes and we owe it to ourselves to see if Pead can work out we just drafted him we can't give up this early.Behind SJ their weren't many carries to go around honestly so lets just wait on drafting a RB.

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
I'd argue that we have enough talent now to stop drafting for need. Regardless of whether SJ returns, we should take the BPA. If that's Lacy, great. If its some other dude, that's great too. Also we have slightly more flexibility with having 2 #1s, we can afford a "luxury pick" although I don't think this would be one.

nighttrain

Legend
whether the Rams draft any running back, even if SJ leaves, depends on what the FO truly thinks of Pead, Richardson, and Gannaway. We may have SJ replacement in Gannaway..
train

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
ScotsRam said:
I'd argue that we have enough talent now to stop drafting for need. Regardless of whether SJ returns, we should take the BPA. If that's Lacy, great. If its some other dude, that's great too. Also we have slightly more flexibility with having 2 #1s, we can afford a "luxury pick" although I don't think this would be one.

Yeah - I'd agree. Is there a team out there that you couldn't argue has a "need position"? SJ is my favorite player right now so emotionally, I want to see him brought back and retired in horns. But I'm a fan so just be damn glad the powers that be aren't using my criteria.

We have some glaring needs - it's true. But I think first and foremost, we have to do whatever it takes to make this offense better. If Lacy is part of the answer then grab him if you can. If a bookend to Kendricks will get us there - gram HIM. I happen to think we need at least one serious upgrade on the line. A couple more openings for the RBs and a little bit more time for our receivers to actually run their routes would be huge IMO.

Everyone talks about the pressure the Ravens put on Brady. But seriously? He had waaaaaay more time on most plays than Sam gets against ANYBODY all season. And watching these holes open for some of the RBs? Holy crap! Imagine if SJ had that first opening even half the time he got the ball.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Don't overanalyze...if SJack is gone, draft him. If not, there isn't a bigger need to draft a RB in the 1st round. 2nd round would be better in that case.

Lacy is a good player, basically younger SJack.

nighttrain

Legend
if he's there in round 5-6-7 maybe, depends on what Fisher/Snead want..

W/O SJ we have Pead, Richardson, and Ganneway..
train