Should Rams Switch Avila to Center?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

WestCoastRam

Legend
i am not in favor of it, only open to the possibility if the best 5 would be with Avila a center as determined by McVay, Wendell, etc. I don't know if Avila would be better or worse at center. All I know is he was an excellent guard for a rookie.
This, but I'd argue we'd need superior talent at every position on the line and if then Avila becomes the weak link, move him to center.

Last edited:

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Should I cut my dick and balls off and switch to a woman?

Psycho_X

Legend
Dotson is my number 1 free agent priority. After that get the best center or guard you can get between free agency or the draft and let the chips fall where they fall in training camp. But I'd be hesitant to mess with a good thing.

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
I say absolutely keep Avilla at Guard. I think he can be 10+ year all-pro guy there if he can stay healthy. I think Shelton is highly underrated here and I would like for him to stay if he can be resigned for a modest salary in line with what he is currently making. Shelton is not the power pig road grader many seem to want here but with Avila and Dotson on each side he does not need to be. He is great at calling out projections and Dotson has stated that he really liked working with Shelton. If Shelton opts out and gets a lucrative offer the Rams cannot match, that sill leaves the possibility the Rams actually keep Brain Allen who might have otherwise been a cap casualty. A season on the bench may have greatly benefited Allen from a health standpoint. Another dark horse option I really think who could be in the running is Mike McAllister. The undrafted rookie looked good in the preseason. After spending a year on the practice squad and then going though a NFL offseason prgram he migh be game ready for 2024.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Revisit this after free agency, the draft, and camp. So much could change over that time.

Avila is a big man but he can really move. I don’t think it’s a question of whether he should play center as much as a question of where is he needed the most.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Biadasz is a UFA

Van Pran from Georgia is a 3rd round projection but can you really hand C over to an untested rookie???

87% comparable to Avila, I’d take an Avila clone without question.

I like Van Pan a lot

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Lets say they let Shelton walk. Move Avila to center. Draft a guard. Or keep Avila at guard and draft a center. How sure are we that the line will perform as well or better than the second half of the season? I'd prefer trying to keep the line intact. The continuity all season really helped them develop a good chemistry together.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Don't dick with what works. There are plenty of positions that need fixing. I just don't see moving someone who had immediate success at guard to center.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Operation on tonsils--tonsilectomy

Operation on appendix--appendectomy

Kurtfaulk's operation--addadicktome

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
I believe Avila played center more often than guard in college, so he could very likely make the switch. But he was so good at guard for us as a rookie that I'd be hesitant to mess with that. I am with others in this thread when they say don't mess with that works.

I'd be curious where he feels most comfortable and what his more natural position is. Has he ever said? If he prefers center, then moving him I think gets a lot more credence, particularly if a top tier guard falls into our laps at the draft. I still wouldn't do it though.

i like the idea of picking a tackle with first pick and a grd center with the second but of coarse we know sneed will trade those picks away

Londoner

Twitchy newcomer
Getting back on topic, and away from the childish nonsense, Avila should remain at left guard, where he has shown elite potential.

We either keep Shelton or draft a new centre, depending upon how the front office sees things.