Should Rams Switch Avila to Center?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

I don't think anybody saw the Rams signing a stud guard in free agency in addition to re signing dotson.

"Look at those dumbasses over at RoD chasing their tails"
~ Les

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
If they were going to play Avila at center they would have done so from day one.
I have to respectfully disagree with you on this one.

Taking a rookie and immediately putting him in as starting Center could be a formula for disaster for most players coming right out of college.
The offensive line, with all of its calls, reads, snap counts and play designs, etc. is easily one of the most difficult positions to learn.
Playing Avila at Guard immensely eased his ability to transition to Center.

If they planned on using him at Center, they definitely made the right call in starting him out at Guard.

And I think Stafford's knees agree with this evaluation.

dang

Legend

I don't think anybody saw the Rams signing a stud guard in free agency in addition to re signing dotson.

Stafford and Williams are gonna be unstoppable this season.

Agree with the caveat that there is another WR added to the mix should Kupp not play at 90% of his availability/capability. And a powerhouse RB like the Wisconsin kid is added.

fearsomefour

Legend
Jackson/Avila/Dotson give the Rams a big and nasty interior OL.
Williams and Rivers have to excited about running behind this group.
Given this and the anticipation the run game will be very effective, would love to see Stafford use play action more.
That interior three....and I think this is huge....give the Rams one of the most athletic interior OL in the league.
I think Avila is going to dominate at C.
Avila may be the most athletic and maybe the biggest C in the league.
As long as he is dialed in picking up line calls etc., I think he will be great back at his more natural position.
Having three good run blockers who are athletic enough to get to and execute at the second level not only greatly aids the run game but really opens up passing possibilities to RB, TE and screens etc.
All of these things, an power running game, play action, being able to execute screens and bubble plays all aid in pass protection when Stafford does a standard drop.
That run game we saw at times last year mixed with other creative stuff to take advantage of an athletic line and a first down play action could be just huge plays. Kupp (healthy), Puka, Robinson and Tutu (for the love of God, use Tutu) can just go to work with a running game.
I also expect Allen to take the next step at TE as a receiver. He has a lot of work to do as a blocker, but, Parkinson can be effective in both roles I think.
OL depth will be interesting.
I think McAllister is the back up C unless a draft pick shines.
He was solid in preseason and his developmental curve seems similar to Shelton.
I think the Rams may take one or two OL in the mid/late round.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

Stafford and Williams are gonna be unstoppable this season.

Still need another RB for insurance ? Yep - Mcvay was not even thinking it would be a possibility .

We heard Mcvay & The Rams say they wanted Shelton back.Then once he started seeing Johna Williams was available it changed the whole course. Especially when Dotson singed early.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
WOW - just to think The Rams really addressed The Front THREE!!

Saffold really came into his own with Sullivan & Whitworth what Johna Williams is going to bring with Steve Avila playing CENTER is really going to secure upfront for Matthew Stafford.

Sean Mcvay talked about moving to Center once he knew Johna Williams was available & a possibility to sign.Avila was ALL for it,but was nervous about the learning curb & how well Shelton was a Line Calls.

Mcvay told him well just start from the beginning & expand each day on the grass(meetings).He also knows Matthew Stafford is such a veteran QB who reads everything anyways will make it easier & takes some of the pressure off Avila if need be ?

I was just looking at The Rams Free Agent signings & departed.
What a DIFFERENCE The Rams are going to be upfront . Stafford must be excited,especially with Williams being signed.Williams said playing with Stafford again is what brought him to The Rams.

Still think bringing in another RB is Key for Depth.When Kyren Williams got hurt The Rams went on that Big Lossing Streak.

Seeing Brian Allen & Shelton on the departed only brought JOY with how much BIGGER The Rams are upfront!!! What a DREAM front for the next THREE YEARS !!!

These signings & switch Pro Longs Matthew Stafford Career on Paper.You never know in The NFL,but WOW !!