Should Los Angeles Rams Fans Be Thrilled About Their New Kicker? Analyst Says Yes!

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ROD-BOT

News Feeder

Should Los Angeles Rams Fans Be Thrilled About Their New Kicker? Analyst Says Yes!​

Pro Football Focus draft analyst, Max Chadwick joined the Rams Skinny podcast to talk all things Los Angeles Rams draft. When asked which pick he was most excited about, it wasn’t Jared Verse or even Blake Corum. It was the kicker, Joshua Karty.

Karty was picked with the 209th overall pick in the sixth round of this year’s draft. He was the second kicker drafted, the first being Will Reichard from Alabama who was selected six picks before Karty.

Los Angeles Rams Kicker is a “Generational Prospect”

And Chadwick isn’t excited for him as a kicker. He lumped him in with the top draft prospects in the entire draft regardless of position.

“Hey, listen, you wanna talk generational prospects? We can talk about Marvin Harrison Jr. We can talk about Brock Bowers, we’ve gotta talk about Joshua Karty as well. Joshua Cardi has a 97 career grade in our grading system that is the highest we’ve ever given to a kicker. And, and we’ve been doing this since 2014 for college football. So over the last decade he has the highest career grade of any kicker we’ve ever seen.

Chadwick broke it down even further;

“He had the highest grade this past season, the year before, he was the second highest grades kicker in the country. He’s 7 for 10 from 50 plus yards in each of the last two years. Second most 50 plus yard makes in that span. He’s only missed one kick from 49 yards and in since 2022 as he was 34 for 35. And he’s only missed one extra point in his career as well on 73 attempts.”

“So I think he’s the best kicker we’ve seen in the last decade. And I know it’s not as sexy of a position as anywhere in offensively or defensively, but I I think he is gonna be a long, long time starter for Los Angeles as their starting kicker. And I thought he was by far the best kicker in the draft. He wasn’t even the first one taken and I think he’s gonna be an excellent, excellent kicker in the NFL and might even be one of the best kickers in the league pretty quickly.”

The Rams have struggled over the last few seasons to find a reliable place kicker. Last season they bounced between Brett Maher and Lucas Havrisik, swapping out one for the other several times.

Karty is the third kicker drafted by Les Snead and the second in the McVay Era. Snead’s first was Greg Zuerlein in 2012, his first season as general manager. Zuerlein was the Rams kicker until 2019 and is still one of the franchise’s best legmen. The Rams drafted Sam Sloman in 2020. Sloman played a total of seven games for the Rams.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
The old saying goes, "you don't realize how important a kicker is until you don't have a good one".

Psycho_X

Legend
As I mentioned in some other draft threads, this was my favorite pick of the draft. And I loved every pick we made. But instability at kicker is such a blow to a teams playoff chances people don't appreciate it enough. Nothing I hate more than not being able to make field goals in the 1-49 range reliably.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
60 yard field goals are nice. But give me the guy who is consistent from under 50 yards. A guy the coach trusts. A guy the fans trust.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Kickers are nuts. You just never know. The dude the Bucs took in round 3 had the same shit said about him and turns out he was a pussy who melted down in the NFL limelight.

They're like unicorns. Mythical beasts. Don't make eye contact or spook them. Don't talk about them too much. Just hope they can get the job done and build that positive momentum and maybe end up being an answer for you.

Tano

Legend
Kickers are nuts. You just never know. The dude the Bucs took in round 3 had the same shit said about him and turns out he was a pussy who melted down in the NFL limelight.

They're like unicorns. Mythical beasts. Don't make eye contact or spook them. Don't talk about them too much. Just hope they can get the job done and build that positive momentum and maybe end up being an answer for you.
Fortunately he was taken in the 6th round and not the 3rd round

High round kickers seem to put too much pressure on themselves and have a tendency to fail.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

"was it my hat?" ~ Bucc kicker

View: https://i.imgur.com/uqQtbMv.png

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Karty is as close as you can get to a sure thing.

He's gonna be great for us.

Like with Matt Gay, FG's will be boring again. Automatic.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Karty is as close as you can get to a sure thing.

He's gonna be great for us.

Like with Matt Gay, FG's will be boring again. Automatic.
I hope so but Gay failed to impress Tampa enough for the Bucs to stick with him for a 2nd season.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Roberto Aguayo? Nah, he was drafted in the second round. Makes it even more egregious.

I have high hopes for Karty, though.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
I hope so but Gay failed to impress Tampa enough for the Bucs to stick with him for a 2nd season.
Right, but I'm sure the Bucs regret letting him go. Gay became a Pro-Bowler with the Rams and is now the second-highest paid kicker in the league, behind only Justin Tucker.

Karty was a phenom as far back as high school, and he just kept improving at Stanford. The guy seems passionate and obsessed about his craft. Mentally tough and technically consistent.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
It feels good to have Karty. Here’s hoping he comes out on fire.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

@CGI_Ram Right now.

Season 5 Sobriety GIF by The Simpsons

gogoat1

Pro Bowler
Name
Troy
Its fantastic that players, draftees are now very happy to become LA RAMS !
It did not always used to be that way.
Stan, sign McVay to a forever contract.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
60 yard field goals are nice. But give me the guy who is consistent from under 50 yards. A guy the coach trusts. A guy the fans trust.
Good news is Karty can hit the 60+ yarders too. I think he's going to be a really good one for us.

Aguayo was overrated. I tried telling people that. In college, he was near automatic inside 40 and very average beyond it. Lacked a big leg. There were plenty of NFL guys who could give you that sort of production. He went 4-11 beyond 40 yards as a rookie and mentally crumbled.