Several thoughts after reflecting on the Saint game win...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Just some stuff that the beat writers haven’t touched on much yet.

Anybody else surprised that there weren’t more attacks on the Saint backup CB’s? I thought McVay would be all over it and all game long.

Speaking of McVay, I was going crazy with all the Tavon touches early on while legit threats and producers were seeing their touches diminished. More Gurley, Watkins, Kupp, Higbee, and Reynolds Coach!

Why is it that Wade’s D gives up long TD runs early in so many games? Then tightens up for the rest of the day? It’s driving me nuts! This has GOT to be fixed before the playoffs. Heck, before the Eagle game. Just tell them at the starting kickoff that it’s the 2nd qtr, Wade, and watch them kick butt. Lol.

Too many missed tackles yesterday. Another thing that must be cleaned up.

I predict that Watkins will now be a bigger focus on the part of both Goff and McVay.

Helluva game by Kupp. I love this kid and look forward to the next 10 years of his production excellence. I think that some have overreacted to those rare occasions where he fails to make the catch. And that crucial fumble vs the Vikings, of course. Kupp is a gem and was a 3rd round steal.

Been a long, long time since the Rams have had so many quality receivers that they could deploy, huh? A great feeling.

Well, the Goff doubters are becoming pretty scarce these days. Most important position on the team appears to be in very good hands for the next 15 years. Can you imagine what he might become after another couple of seasons under McVay?

Can someone explain to me why coaches love that dreaded Prevent D? After holding Brees to 13 points (including that 7 point Kamara early burst) for 56 danged minutes, they do their “Prevent thing” and give him 7 points in about one minute. Nobody on our coaching staff noticed what Brees did to the Redskin Prevent D in 3 minutes the previous week? Sheesh! ‘Bout had a heart attack watching those last 3 minutes yesterday!

Malcolm Brown can’t get back soon enough for me. Dunbar is never healthy, Tavon is useless, and I guess McVay doesn’t trust Austin Davis.

I’ll be honest. I was afraid that the Saint juggernaut was gonna keep rolling all the way to the NFC Championship game and the Rams would become their 9th win in a row. I am so proud of what the Ram team and coaches accomplished yesterday. The Rams are truly for real. They may not go all the way, but it would be a big mistake for anyone to not take them seriously the rest of the way. I haven’t felt this much pride and respect for the Rams in at least 13-15 years.

Can Reynolds and Everett play, or what? Bright future for both those kids.

Gotta give it up for Quinn in this game. I’ve been down on him lately, but he picked a great game to flash as a bit of an impact player.

Barwin wasn’t really missed when he had to come out. Does that mean what I think it means? Hmmmmm...

Romo was a joy to listen to. If, somehow, either Romo or Spielman could do color on all Ram games, I would be one happy camper.

Romo had some kind words for Ogletree, didn’t he? Said that his play was evidence of heavy film study.

Magnificent tackle by Webster to save a TD. Both a textbook and inspirational tackle.

The flea flicker trick play was a surprise. Not that they called it, but that Pharoah wasn’t the one throwing the ball. AND that McVay hadn’t designed it such that the Saints would be caught with their pants down and at least ONE Ram would be open. Those last 2 things are pretty important in such a trick play. Lol.

All in all, it was a helluva game and against a helluva opponent. Fun to watch, but I was limp by halftime. Lol.

Then again, 8 more just like that would be fine by me. Yeah, I was counting the playoffs in there, too.

fearsomefour

Legend
Well, Austin Davis is in Seattle.
Seriously, Davis got in one play and blew his blitz pickup. It's why he isent seeing the field I'm sure. More to the position than just running, especially with a QB changing things at the line a lot.
The Watkins/Goff connection seems inconsistent. One of Goffs' strengths seems to be just going to the open guy he finds....he has on occasion forced the ball. The ball should go to the open guy. Thankfully, the mix of talent and scheme has seen s lot of receives running open.
I agree on the gash runs. Frustrating. The strange thing is the kid who had the long run finished the day with 5 carries.
Romos comment about Ogletree was when he ran down the RB catching a ball out of the backfield to force a fourth down. Ogletree was going full speed at the snap to cover the RB....he knew where the ball was going before it was snapped.
Wades D was very impressive yesterday. Brees was uncomfortable and largely ineffective for the majority of the game. Wade gets a game ball as for as I'm concerned.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The pass rush was pretty good, but our first two sacks on Brees were coverage sacks.

At times, the pass rush disappears (aside from AD). I'm encouraged by Ebukam, but what I'm getting at is this: when everyone is healthy, it's possible that the secondary is the best unit on this team, period. And I didn't think that would be the case.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Can someone explain to me why coaches love that dreaded Prevent D? After holding Brees to 13 points (including that 7 point Kamara early burst) for 56 danged minutes, they do their “Prevent thing” and give him 7 points in about one minute. Nobody on our coaching staff noticed what Brees did to the Redskin Prevent D in 3 minutes the previous week? Sheesh! ‘Bout had a heart attack watching those last 3 minutes yesterday!

I think everyone can agree that prevent D only prevents you from winning the game. I have no idea why he switched it up at the end of the game. Keep on doing what's working!!! I know they're afraid of getting beat deep but Drew Brees is too smart for Cover 4 Defense, he'll find the hole in that zone every single time, and he did! I think they scored in less than 45 seconds lol.

Also glad to see Quinn pick it up with a Sack Fumble yesterday. Looked like the Quinn of old. I've also noticed Quinn had a lot more playing time yesterday, and I think that's part of the issue. I remember when he got his 20 sacks a couple of years ago he was on the field almost all 4 downs. The guy has an outstanding gastank and I think he's one of those guys that gets better the longer he plays. Maybe Wade saw that too? Or maybe the Barwin injury will give us a better look at quinn before the season is done. Hopefully he sticks around.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Prevent D has got to go. That drive took 40 seconds. And was their most productive mutiplay drive. It didn't prevent anything. Yes they had the drive with the long run but even that drive with less plays took longer

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
Just some stuff that the beat writers haven’t touched on much yet.

Anybody else surprised that there weren’t more attacks on the Saint backup CB’s? I thought McVay would be all over it and all game long.

McVay called passes over runs in the first half to get the lead and ran it a bit more in the second to prevent it. I’m amazed how he gets criticized for passing too much and here for not doing it enough.

Speaking of McVay, I was going crazy with all the Tavon touches early on while legit threats and producers were seeing their touches diminished. More Gurley, Watkins, Kupp, Higbee, and Reynolds Coach!

Agreed, Tavon lining up as a traditional RB over Gurley rarely works but other than jet sweeps and receiver slip routes and screens, what good is he? He was the only one on the field who didn’t know his assignment on the blown screen play.

Why is it that Wade’s D gives up long TD runs early in so many games? Then tightens up for the rest of the day? It’s driving me nuts! This has GOT to be fixed before the playoffs. Heck, before the Eagle game. Just tell them at the starting kickoff that it’s the 2nd qtr, Wade, and watch them kick butt. Lol.

Blake Countess was counted on to plug Kamara on the long play. The loss of Roby-Coleman forced Joyner to the slot and Countess at safety.

The only missed tackles we the ones Kamara forced. True, we need to bring him down but credit Kamara for being a special player.

I predict that Watkins will now be a bigger focus on the part of both Goff and McVay.

McVay gave Watkins the game ball to boost his confidence but really...he had a couple bad plays as well. McVay will continue to spread it around and Jared will hit the best targets that come available. We only get in trouble when we force it to a guy just for the sake of getting him involved (see Austin).

Helluva game by Kupp. I love this kid and look forward to the next 10 years of his production excellence. I think that some have overreacted to those rare occasions where he fails to make the catch. And that crucial fumble vs the Vikings, of course. Kupp is a gem and was a 3rd round steal.

The fumble last week was one that would’ve happened to 99% of receivers in that situation. But less than half of them would’ve been open and made the catch. And the “drop”? Hell, it was an incredible adjustment to get separation and a tough as hell catch to make. I never got the hate myself.

Been a long, long time since the Rams have had so many quality receivers that they could deploy, huh? A great feeling.

Well, the Goff doubters are becoming pretty scarce these days. Most important position on the team appears to be in very good hands for the next 15 years. Can you imagine what he might become after another couple of seasons under McVay?

Wade tried mixing coverages to allow a slow march down the field and Brees recognized them. He did call a couple blitzes...they just didn’t get home. Credit the Saints here. But I have a hard time criticizing a defense that holds a 32 pt per game team to 20.

Malcolm Brown can’t get back soon enough for me. Dunbar is never healthy, Tavon is useless, and I guess McVay doesn’t trust Austin Davis.

Agreed.

I’ll be honest. I was afraid that the Saint juggernaut was gonna keep rolling all the way to the NFC Championship game and the Rams would become their 9th win in a row. I am so proud of what the Ram team and coaches accomplished yesterday. The Rams are truly for real. They may not go all the way, but it would be a big mistake for anyone to not take them seriously the rest of the way. I haven’t felt this much pride and respect for the Rams in at least 13-15 years.

Losing your best DE and two best corners changes ANY defense. Good win but I’m not calling us a better team just yet. But what really matters is that we were better yesterday and got the W.

Can Reynolds and Everett play, or what? Bright future for both those kids.

Gotta give it up for Quinn in this game. I’ve been down on him lately, but he picked a great game to flash as a bit of an impact player.

He picked on a less than average tackle who went down later in the game, but yeah...he looked better today.

Barwin wasn’t really missed when he had to come out. Does that mean what I think it means? Hmmmmm...

Barwin is a leader but Wade is developing depth as he should. He’s still valuable because Peyton didn’t have an opportunity to gameplan a way to confuse Ekubam.

Romo was a joy to listen to. If, somehow, either Romo or Spielman could do color on all Ram games, I would be one happy camper.

+++++++

Romo had some kind words for Ogletree, didn’t he? Said that his play was evidence of heavy film study.

Magnificent tackle by Webster to save a TD. Both a textbook and inspirational tackle.

The flea flicker trick play was a surprise. Not that they called it, but that Pharoah wasn’t the one throwing the ball. AND that McVay hadn’t designed it such that the Saints would be caught with their pants down and at least ONE Ram would be open. Those last 2 things are pretty important in such a trick play. Lol.

All in all, it was a helluva game and against a helluva opponent. Fun to watch, but I was limp by halftime. Lol.

Then again, 8 more just like that would be fine by me. Yeah, I was counting the playoffs in there, too.

I edited my responses to your comments in the box. Expand if you’re so inclined.

Good post, my man! This is the fun we get after big wins.

Last edited:

Hawaii Ram

Rookie
Completely agree about the prevent defense. The whole point of it is to take away the sidelines and make tackles in the field of play to keep the clock running. Unfortunately that intermediate area was wide open near the sidelines way too many times. It also feels weird because they were still attacking on offense so why not keep attacking on defense.

HX76

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think we should give Cooper Kupp a few more chances to throw the ball. Looked like a golden arm to me!!

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Speaking of McVay, I was going crazy with all the Tavon touches early on while legit threats and producers were seeing their touches diminished.
Seemed to go a lil overboard....but I still wonder, this guy can't catch a pass or what? Doesn't run the in....doesn't catch the out....isn't in the seam....What the hell does Tavon do? I said a while ago, he's a hell of a tailback....but damn...throw him 2 passes a game...2....that's it...if not, just use him as a decoy on the runs...and occasional sweep, pitch...or hitch pass.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Rams punt and KO coverage---More blocks in the back penalties. that has got to stop. Rams get called 3 or 4 times every game. Not good.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
.......Gotta give it up for Quinn in this game. I’ve been down on him lately, but he picked a great game to flash as a bit of an impact player.

Time say a few words here on Rob Quinn....I may have been this forum's most negative poster on Rob for the last 2 months. I have posted on what I have seen on his play up to week 10. It was not good. Now the last 2 games something has happen to Rob....he has turned it up ....finally. The last 2 games he has 6 solo's & 3 assists total of 9 involved tackles. By far his best back to back games this season. Yesterday he got a sack & a forced fumble, his last sack was back in wk 5.

I know that injuries to OSLB'er Conner Barwin & Matt Longacre the last 2 weeks have provided him a good amount of snaps & Rob has done real well with those extra snaps. Quinn got in on 46 snaps that was 81% of the defensive snaps....by far his biggest involved game this seasons.Plus these last 2 games came against 2 divisional leaders. I will have to go back & rewatch the game to see just how well Rob really did.

Last edited:

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Rams punt and KO coverage---More blocks in the back penalties. that has got to stop. Rams get called 3 or 4 times every game. Not good.
Turn on any football game and you'll see the same thing. The NFL has no clue how to officiate this game anymore.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
All in all the defense played well. I did get annoyed by the way they played prevent. Prevent's supposed to give you the short to mid range passes in the middle of the field and prevent deep sideline passes so the clock can run but they failed with that. Too many deep passes on the sideline that stopped the clock. The tackling was poor at times too.

It was nice to see Kupp rebound after last week. The team as a whole rebounded well after a poor showing in Minny. I was wondering how they would respond. Because of all the past failures I kept thinking this would be the spot where they start falling. But I'm starting to think this is real. That they just might be that good.

Ram65

Legend

Kamara was amazing. Webster made the big one and Barron just before that.

It will be interesting to see when Woods comes back. Sammy had a good game. I can't fault him on the underthrown INT. McVay should get him more involved.

I'll give Kupp credit he made a nice sideline toe tap catch and showed control on the underthrown long pass. I like Kupp but, he did have a bad game against the Vikings. Nice comeback game and hope to see more great plays.

They got some pressure on Goff. Overall the Rams moved the ball but, again didn't always finish.

Quinn has been hustling at least. Hope he is feeling stronger and keeps getting better each week.

Romo is so relaxed. Fun for now. Gave lots of props to Goff.

Yes!

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I edited my responses to your comments in the box. Expand if you’re so inclined.

Good post, my man! This is the fun we get after big wins.

Damned right I was so inclined, leoram.

Excellent reply with very good input such as the reminder that Quinn was facing a backup LOT at times.

Now.....

Just so I’m sure of what you’re saying. Was Tavon the culprit on that audibled but blown screen pass?

‘Cause If he was...

Ummmmm...

I might have to take an extra blood pressure pill, you know?

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

It will be interesting to see when Woods comes back. Sammy had a good game. I can't fault him on the underthrown INT. McVay should get him more involved.

I'll give Kupp credit he made a nice sideline toe tap catch and showed control on the underthrown long pass. I like Kupp but, he did have a bad game against the Vikings. Nice comeback game and hope to see more great plays.

They got some pressure on Goff. Overall the Rams moved the ball but, again didn't always finish.

Quinn has been hustling at least. Hope he is feeling stronger and keeps getting better each week.

Yes!

Yes!

Disagree that Kupp had a “bad game” against the Vikings, 65.

He was 6 catches on 7 targets!

Almost any WR would have fumbled there, not just Kupp. It was a helluva defensive play.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
Damned right I was so inclined, leoram.

Excellent reply with very good input such as the reminder that Quinn was facing a backup LOT at times.

Now.....

Just so I’m sure of what you’re saying. Was Tavon the culprit on that audibled but blown screen pass?

‘Cause If he was...

Ummmmm...

I might have to take an extra blood pressure pill, you know?

The answer is that he thought his responsibility was to pick up the blitz on the right side when he was supposed to swing right for a screen. This is why he isn’t trusted in the slot because he doesn’t process plays very well...in spite of his athleticism.

Now, whether or not it was a product of bad communication by Goff...I can’t say. But if I were a betting man...I’d say Austin was the culprit. McVay would be the one to ask