Several things after re-watching the Titan game...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Kinda short and sweet this week.

Goff was off on quite a few throws, but he made others that were beauties. That throw to Kupp for the TD was pure gold.

Great blocking by our OL. Higbee and all 3 WR’s, too. What a turnaround from last year.

Special kudos to Jamon Brown. Other than that 7 point brain fart, he had a helluva game. We are set at RG for the next 10 years, I think.

Higbee impressed on two catches, and his blocking is coming along nicely. Everett has his work cut out if he wants to start next year. Maybe some 2 TE sets?

“Den” was right. Ficken settled down nicely after those first 2 misses. Let’s don’t panic just yet.

I’ll say it again. Waaaaay too many blatant Titan holds not being called. WTH?

Littleton looks like a player, huh? Several clutch plays by the kid last Sunday.

Kudos to Wade’s D on a couple of red zone stops that held Titans to 2 FG’s. The difference in the game.

The lack of Ram pressure on Mariota? Two things. First, the Titans have a very good OL. Second, Wade largely had the DL playing contain to take away Mariota scrambles ala Russel Wilson. Wasn’t dramatic, but it was effective.

Ram screen game is now deadly. Geez, I wouldn’t want the job of defending Gurley. Pick your poison, huh? Goff sells it nicely, btw.

We’ve got as good a shot at making it to the SB as any NFC team on the first weekend. Yeah, the top 2 seeds with the bye have an edge. But really? Only because they have to win one less game. We needed to beat the Eagles when we had the chance, not to mention that first Seahawk game. Sigh...

fearsomefour

Legend
It seemed the Rams couldn't run a decent screen for years and years. Now it is a weapon. McVay had a good feel for implementing it vs the blitz happy Titans as well.
Littleton made some plays but struggled some in coverage as well. Not unexpected with a LB trying to run with skilled experienced receivers. More good than negative for sure and makes one feel much better about LB depth going forward.
Brown has had a couple of good games but is still the weakest spot on the line. That doesn't mean us won't be a long time fixture at RG but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
You mention Brown. Thats another thing to consider in regards to cap management as they may want to lock up Havenstein and Brown this summer since they are entering their last years in 18'.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It seemed the Rams couldn't run a decent screen for years and years. Now it is a weapon. McVay had a good feel for implementing it vs the blitz happy Titans as well.
Littleton made some plays but struggled some in coverage as well. Not unexpected with a LB trying to run with skilled experienced receivers. More good than negative for sure and makes one feel much better about LB depth going forward.
Brown has had a couple of good games but is still the weakest spot on the line. That doesn't mean us won't be a long time fixture at RG but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

I respectfully suggest that you watch a Jamon carefully next chance you get, fearsome. Do not rely on early season observations.

He’s had back to back terrific games vs the Seahawks and the Titans.

I don’t think our OL currently has a true weak link, but if they do, JB ain’t it, IMO.

Zodi

Hall of Fame
I’ll say it again. Waaaaay too many blatant Titan holds not being called. WTH?

That game made me question my knowledge of what holding in the NFL is, because I saw offensive lineman with a half rear naked choke around Donald and Quinn damn near every other play.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
Kinda short and sweet this week.
3 WR’s, too. What a turnaround from last year.

Special kudos to Jamon Brown. Other than that 7 point brain fart, he had a helluva game. We are set at RG for the next 10 years, I think.

He has played good enough this year....and he has handled some big DTs pretty well in some in line blocking. However.....
as much as I love his talent and size, but he is mentally lazy ---and I am not talking about the block he missed. It has been there all season. He isn't lacking smarts...
He is a great "cheap" NFL guard---if we can sign him for 4 years at $15mill....but with the NFL, some team will come in and give him a huge contract because he is on a great line.

You won't see the problems with him until 2019....when he gets his next contract. A la Dwayne White.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
I respectfully suggest that you watch a Jamon carefully next chance you get, fearsome. Do not rely on early season observations.

I don’t think our OL currently has a true weak link, but if they do, JB ain’t it, IMO.

That's true when you think of it. Other than him blocking the wrong way on one play last week. I haven't seen him make too many misrakes or having his name called.

fearsomefour

Legend

I watch the line closely every week, usually more than once. I agree back to back games have been his best two. And he has been "stairstepping" in his progress. That is very good and he has been a pleasant surprise and his improvement has been key to the line improved play. He is not a finished product however (that is good and bad) and can still beat beaten in the pass rush.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I watch the line closely every week, usually more than once. I agree back to back games have been his best two. And he has been "stairstepping" in his progress. That is very good and he has been a pleasant surprise and his improvement has been key to the line improved play. He is not a finished product however (that is good and bad) and can still beat beaten in the pass rush.

Fair enough, fearsome.

TBH, I’m far more concerned about Whit in ‘18 than in JB.

Father Time is sneaking up on Whit, and Father Time is undefeated. Lol.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Fair enough, fearsome.

His age is concerning 43, but I think it's important to realize he's among the best OTs in the league still. And he's played through some injuries I think, given the arm thing he had on and whatnot. The dude is tough and better than most of his peers.

So the concern is having some talent behind him. You don't find LTs on the FA market unless they suck or are otherwise questionable, which is why the Rams got Big Whit (age concerns). And drafting late round one is a crappy place to find OTs, sometimes good ones slide to you but for the most part the LT types go early round one.

Rams don't have a round two pick, so we're looking at reaching for a OT who might not have the feet or is a project type late round one, which I don't like when we need CB, NT, ROLB, etc and will be looking at one or more impact types at those positions. So IMO they have two choices, those being a round 3+ project type or trying to bring in a FA who has failed or underperformed elsewhere.

LT will be the position they have to roll the dice on a bit this offseason I think. No way around it, barring a LT sliding to us in late round one. If I'm Snead, I would go the route of the round 3+ project OT, and hope that Kromer can work a miracle with him.

fearsomefour

Legend
Fair enough, fearsome.

True enough
He has given up some pressures and sacks the second half of the season.
He is still an excellent LT.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
I know Saffold is playing well at G, but if the Rams struggle to replace Whitworth at LT Saffold could step in and be much better than he was early in his career. Both his shoulders are fixed, he is athletic as fuck for an OL and has now been in the OL room with a veteran that has helped coach up the entire OL by setting the example of what it takes to win.