Seven Degrees of Wade Phillips

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I've been hit in the face with the appearance of Wade Phillips everywhere in the NFL throughout most of my life, which has been made apparent to more today than I knew.

I was a teeny bopper Rams fan in 1976-77, but stuck in Houston. Those were the days before cable tv and practical satellite tv, so if you didn't like the Oilers or the Cowboys then you were left with box scores to find out about the Rams game. But I did get to see the Oilers 2-3 times at the Astrodome (free tix through my Dad's work). I grew to love Earl Campbell, because seeing that man mountain move so fast was the most crushing RB I ever saw (to this day). But who was defensive line coach for the Earlers? Yep, Wade.

I could point to other well known jobs as DC and HC in his life, but today I was a little shocked to see a youthful Wade Phillips coaching the Buffalo Bills in the AFC Wild Card game in 1999, versus a youthful Jeff Fisher and his Tennessee Titans. Yep. Wade was crushed by the Music City Miracle (that WAS a forward Pass). I had no clue that he was the coach, and his team played the Titans good enough to win (and they really did win, except for a bad call by the refs). The Titans went on to face the Rams in Super Bowl 34..We had your back there Wade!

Sidenote: Jeff Fisher was nowhere close to that energetic on the sideline as he was throughout the 1999 Playoffs.

Last edited:

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
I've been hit in the face with the appearance of Wade Phillips everywhere in the NFL throughout most of my life, which has been made apparent to more today than I knew.

I was a teeny bopper Rams fan in 1976-77, but stuck in Houston. Those were the days before cable tv and practical satellite tv, so if you didn't like the Oilers or the Cowboys then you were left with box scores to find out about the Rams game. But I did get to see the Oilers 2-3 times at the Astrodome (free tix through my Dad's work). I grew to love Earl Campbell, because seeing that man mountain move so fast was the most crushing RB I ever saw (to this day). But who was defensive line coach for the Earlers? Yep, Wade.

I could point to other well known jobs as DC and HC in his life, but today I was a little shocked to see a youthful Wade Phillips coaching the Buffalo Bills in the AFC Wild Card game in 1999, versus a youthful Jeff Fisher and his Tennessee Titans. Yep. Wade was crushed by the Music City Miracle (that WAS a forward Pass). I had no clue that he was the coach, and his team played the Titans good enough to win (and they really did win, except for a bad call by the refs). The Titans went on to face the Rams in Super Bowl 34..We had your back there Wade!

Sidenote: Jeff Fisher was nowhere close to that energetic on the sideline as he was throughout the 1999 Playoffs.
Wade has been around the whole league, but I never really paid attention until he got to Houston. JJ Watt going off really help put the attention on Wade and his scheme, rightfully so. Also turns out he's a great guy who's hilarious. Give him a follow on Twitter if you follow football folks.

The one thing that got me hyped for Fisher's hire in 2012 was the speech he gave to the Titans during the Super Bowl after going down 16-0. He seemed like a hell of a motivator. Compared to Spags bent over power clap, I was ready for someone with at least some Playoff HC experience. Those were rough waters, but it looks like smooth sailing nowadays my friends!

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I was in and out of accounts all day. As I was awaiting my turn in one, that game was on. I came to the same realization as you,@LoyalRam. I was also a young Ram fan in '77 and, like you, I had to go get the paper for my Dad to find out what happened the day before.