Sean McVay interview with The Athletic

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Pretty sure this is the audio version of the YouTube interview I posted earlier...

methomas50

Rookie
Regarding the play calling: it must be nice to have complete recall of every play you ever called. Off the top of your head knowing what worked and what didn't. Huge advantage.

Lunchbox

Starter
Name
LunchBox
This guy is simply incredible. I've never listened to an interview where the interviewer and interviewee were so in tune. Great questions. Answers that could only have come from McVay. What an outstanding communicator.
I believe we are in an era that will be looked back on as one of the brightest in NFL history.
Go ahead and enshrine him now.

methomas50

Rookie
This guy is simply incredible. I've never listened to an interview where the interviewer and interviewee were so in tune. Great questions. Answers that could only have come from McVay. What an outstanding communicator.
I believe we are in an era that will be looked back on as one of the brightest in NFL history.
Go ahead and enshrine him now.
Oh I agree. The old saying "you don't what you got till it's gone". Well I feel like I have a real good idea what they have. One more Lombardi would cement Canton and a SOFI statue for McVay.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
Regarding the play calling: it must be nice to have complete recall of every play you ever called. Off the top of your head knowing what worked and what didn't. Huge advantage.
I dont know about this. It seems many of us remember the crappy bubble screens on 3rd and long much better then McVay does. But other than that McVay is in his own class of coach. I just pray he stays with the Rams for his entire Head Coaching career.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
He said the main thing I really wanted to hear, he's hopeful he can keep coaching for a long time. There was a time it seemed like he didn't have that desire a couple years ago. I think last season changed him. It was an enjoyable season for him. Not many expected much of his team. But the desire of those young guys energized him.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes Full speed ahead
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
McVay often says a lot without saying much. It's a strength of his to not give things away, but in this interview he does lay some shit out there.

What I found most interesting is him conceding that they had nothing in the run game in that title run. And the fact he openly recognizes he had a flawed offense that could not work in that ground phase was good to hear. I think that recognition is behind what he's done with the OL, and the change of emphasis with those big boys. It's a good thing. He's learning.

And I think it's great to have a coach who can put us in position to challenge late in the playoffs, but also learn as he goes and get better. It's part of what makes him as good as he is. He's not a know it all and that's why the game won't pass him by. It's why he'll remain on the cutting edge and keep us relevant.

I mean way I see it that SB loss to the Pats showed him that his team wasn't physical enough, and the boys got punched in the face to include McVay. Then he changes the QB and ends up back in an eerily similar looking game in another SB but got it done. I think Stafford and Kupp are what made the difference, but point is his OL was just as incapable of getting him ground yards and that finally put him over the top wrt how he structures the trenches. Because this year's team looks fundamentally different from those two SB teams.

This year's OL should be very physical, and physical is hard to gameplan away. When the dudes on the other side of that ball are physical and can beat you on most snaps 1 on 1 it's a different equation. We have definitely trended that way. Our OL looks like it should have that element at last this season. Our defense will benefit up front, and hopefully those boys start hitting on all cylinders before the playoffs.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
He said the main thing I really wanted to hear, he's hopeful he can keep coaching for a long time. There was a time it seemed like he didn't have that desire a couple years ago. I think last season changed him. It was an enjoyable season for him. Not many expected much of his team. But the desire of those young guys energized him.
If you listen to what he keeps repeating is his Sonos what has guided him & keeps him ground to the coach & person he wants to be.
He talked about his inner demons & how FAILURE is the only way to grow more compete.He gets pretty deep about his struggles & what is & was important to him.

SWAdude

And don't call me Shirley
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
John
With time, this is GOAT coach.

Always much discussion about him leaving it seems.

I hope he sees what I do that once in a generation there is this type of opportunity.

Right Owner, right team, right location.

Please don't screw this up.

GO RAMS!!!

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
McVay often says a lot without saying much. It's a strength of his to not give things away, but in this interview he does lay some shit out there.

What I found most interesting is him conceding that they had nothing in the run game in that title run. And the fact he openly recognizes he had a flawed offense that could not work in that ground phase was good to hear. I think that recognition is behind what he's done with the OL, and the change of emphasis with those big boys. It's a good thing. He's learning.

And I think it's great to have a coach who can put us in position to challenge late in the playoffs, but also learn as he goes and get better. It's part of what makes him as good as he is. He's not a know it all and that's why the game won't pass him by. It's why he'll remain on the cutting edge and keep us relevant.

I mean way I see it that SB loss to the Pats showed him that his team wasn't physical enough, and the boys got punched in the face to include McVay. Then he changes the QB and ends up back in an eerily similar looking game in another SB but got it done. I think Stafford and Kupp are what made the difference, but point is his OL was just as incapable of getting him ground yards and that finally put him over the top wrt how he structures the trenches. Because this year's team looks fundamentally different from those two SB teams.

This year's OL should be very physical, and physical is hard to gameplan away. When the dudes on the other side of that ball are physical and can beat you on most snaps 1 on 1 it's a different equation. We have definitely trended that way. Our OL looks like it should have that element at last this season. Our defense will benefit up front, and hopefully those boys start hitting on all cylinders before the playoffs.
You got some of it right.He said he got out coached in the Super Bowl.
The Rams had enough upfront.Maybe not Austin Blythe,so your right about him,but he held up. The fantom holding call would have changed the game.Todd Gurley was Hungry.Mcvay went away from the run.The Left Side of the O’Line was Excellent!!

Yes the idea of Steve Avila switching to Center & Johan Jackson at LG is huge.Then resigning Kevin Dotson for 3 years
Is as good as it get.Add Blake Corum for 4 years & Kyren Williams 2 years should be nice.

He talks about those 2 & what they bring,plus the 12 man with Pucka (Kupp)at WR who add an element of what the defense is willing to give up.Make the defense to show there hand first ?
Excellent interview,but he BLAMED the loss on himself & not The Offensive Line.He had Brian Allen at Center for Gosh Sakes!!

The Kupp 4th down sweep was basically all or nothing & Cinncy had him stopped.He picked the perfect time to throw his body forward for the 1st down.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
With time, this is GOAT coach.

Always much discussion about him leaving it seems.

I hope he sees what I do that once in a generation there is this type of opportunity.

Right Owner, right team, right location.

Please don't screw this up.

GO RAMS!!!
That was my post they chanced 5 years ago.Didn’t think he would go through so much adversity.He really struggled to get to where he is at today as a HC(person).

He uses such GREAT resources of people,friends,(books),coaches.Plus being married & having a Son has grounded him.He talks about practice what you preach.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
1000000970.jpg

I was just organizing my pins.
This one caught me off-guard.

What!?

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
One thing that became apparent to me in this interview was the nervous energy he has. He constantly fiddlles with his ring, turning it and sliding it almost off before sliding it back into place. I think if you tied his hands together, he'd have trouble speaking! lol
Yet, he's able to channel that energy into constructive action... He is probably the best HC we've ever had. (Sorry coach Vermeil)

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
If you listen to what he keeps repeating is his Sonos what has guided him & keeps him ground to the coach & person he wants to be.
He talked about his inner demons & how FAILURE is the only way to grow more compete.He gets pretty deep about his struggles & what is & was important to him.
I always thought if you want to be a good winner you have to learn how to be a good loser. I think as Rams fans we had the latter part covered before McVay came along.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I always thought if you want to be a good winner you have to learn how to be a good loser. I think as Rams fans we had the latter part covered before McVay came along.

Freaking NO DOUBT -

Look at SPAGS now !!

Mcvay says that is what he needed.I do question that though,because after winning it all is when IMO he struggled the most.He knows where he is,but it’s always hard to reflected back.

I’m struggling in my life from being able to move forward from my mistakes. - anyways this is one time I post & won’t get to deep.

The 1 thing I’ll say is we’re lucky to be Ram Fans with Sean Mcvay leading the way.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
Freaking NO DOUBT -

Look at SPAGS now !!

Mcvay says that is what he needed.I do question that though,because after winning it all is when IMO he struggled the most.He knows where he is,but it’s always hard to reflected back.

I’m struggling in my life from being able to move forward from my mistakes. - anyways this is one time I post & won’t get to deep.

The 1 thing I’ll say is we’re lucky to be Ram Fans with Sean Mcvay leading the way.
ya look at him now.... terrible as an HC for us, but as a DC? 4 rings (1 Giants / 3 Chiefs). and counting...