Sean Mannion again figures to get limited playing time

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
It’s funny because though he’s obviously taller, he doesn’t look much taller than Goff when I see them practicing next to each other.

I agree that he obviously doesn’t have the movements of Goff. Still I think there are a crap ton of shorter QBs that wouldn’t offer what Mannion does.

Either way, I think he either shows something or we are moving on next season. I don’t think either of the other two will supplant him this season.

Well yeah he's only got a couple inches on Jared. But Jared has much more normal movement ability, whereas Mannion's always moved like a damn giraffe.

The big thing here is that movement is important in the WCO pocket. That is where Mannion continues to not be an ideal backup, so I think Allen will be given every chance to replace him. Also I wouldn't read too much into Allen not getting as many snaps as Mannion at this point, because he's got preseason tape in another uniform and they've seen him in-house for some time now.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Well yeah he's only got a couple inches on Jared. But Jared has much more normal movement ability, whereas Mannion's always moved like a damn giraffe.

The big thing here is that movement is important in the WCO pocket. That is where Mannion continues to not be an ideal backup, so I think Allen will be given every chance to replace him. Also I wouldn't read too much into Allen not getting as many snaps as Mannion at this point, because he's got preseason tape in another uniform and they've seen him in-house for some time now.
baby-giraffe.jpg

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
not realizing that most teams number two QB's actually play like a number two, i.e. Mannion.

How do you determine that? By watching Mannion go up against a 49ers team playing all of their starters and treating it like a playoff game, while the Rams sit all of their starters? He gets 1 week of prep with the second team, not the starters.

In training camp, he always has the second team offensive line protecting him and throwing to the second team receivers. He doesn't get the opportunity to play the First team players around him AND he does this primarily against the FIRST team defense,

I think it would be fair to judge him AFTER he gets an opportunity to prepare for a game for a week WITH the starters.

I am thankful that Goff has been injury free up to this point. But, I'm not sure we know what we have in Mannion until he gets the same opportunity that Goff has had.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
McVay is hinting that Goff isn't going to play Thurs. So Mannion will get the start and play with the 1st unit for at least a couple of series. We can see how he does behind the starting OL (Maybe, McVay may hold them out too). Just seems odd to me they've never let Mannion work with the whole 1st team.

I. too, feel its unfair to judge Mannion on his work with backups. I want to see him out there with the WHOLE 1st team.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Luis Perez, lol... If that kid plays blazes, he might make the PS. Best bet might be in one of these USFL type leagues
Only threat to Mannion is Allen and I don't think he's much of one at this point. The games will tell a story for sure but it seems pretty clear to me that it Mannion as the #2 this season. Season is over if Goff goes down anyways

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
No one knows what Mannion can accomplish with Rams starting offense. He's never taken any snaps with them. I believe he can win games and execute the playbook as long as the OL gives him time. I hope like hell Goff doesn't go down and we have to watch it actually happen.

RamFanWA

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
DavidG
https://www.oregonlive.com/beavers/index.ssf/2014/11/sean_mannion_breaks_pac-12_car.html

Mannion seems like a good insurance plan and that he'd be scrappy enough to survive, given the opportunity. The Beavers are no powerhouse unit (but the Rams have done well with a couple of them -- Steven Jackson, Johnny Hekker). Mannion played well with Cooks, Wheaton and a few others, behind a line where no one can name one of them!.... They had a couple of good years where he not only survived, but played well. I'd settle for that. (I am a Rams fan - I am used to settling... (y):sneaky:)

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Luis Perez, lol... If that kid plays blazes, he might make the PS. Best bet might be in one of these USFL type leagues
Only threat to Mannion is Allen and I don't think he's much of one at this point. The games will tell a story for sure but it seems pretty clear to me that it Mannion as the #2 this season. Season is over if Goff goes down anyways

Agreed. It's Mannion vs Allen for the backup role plain and simple. And for Allen to unseat Mannion he'll need to show a full grasp of the offense and execute it in the preseason. One thing about Mannion is the dude is extremely intelligent, so at this point his grasp of the offense is probably an enormous advantage. But I keep going back to that fit side of things. We've see guys like Grbac come in and run the WCO with that stiff/tall build with some success, but it's not optimal. So IMO that battle is going to be quite good, and Thursday night we'll get the first look at it so lookin forward to that.

For a guy like Perez who is in that camp arm role, the goal is to get some plus film out there in preseason snaps so that either your team will invest a PS slot in keeping you around, or another team will. I mean obviously those people talking about a rook from a lower level of competition in college swoopin in and winning a backup job are outta their minds. It's possible if he absolutely slays it and shows a full grasp of the offense in one camp as well as outperforms the other two hands-down, but so unlikely it's similar to the odds of winning powerball.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I never said he was Kurt Warner but he may be able to scrape up a few wins.
@Merlin made the perfect example. He could be an Elvis Grbac type who has some success in limited exposure. Surely I overstated my opinion, by season being over I forgo any thought of playoff success. Could they stay competitive in games? Sure. But championship threat? NFW...

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And for Allen to unseat Mannion he'll need to show a full grasp of the offense and execute it in the preseason.
Yeah, I think Allen's mobility could be a difference maker, but I think the Rams are showing so much confidence in Mannion that I think he would have to be Johnny Manziel in first CFL game bad to lose his spot.
With Keenum success last year, making plays with his feet, I think a lot of teams will be reluctant to let a guy like that go

pmil66

Starter
Name
pmil
If Mannion shows anything this preseason, can see other teams offering him a nice contract when he becomes a free agent. Chase Daniel received 2 years 10 million from the Bears.

mikeyboy

UDFA
Watch for this kid Perez.... supposed to have a lot of natural Talent, and with this talented coaching staff working with him??