Sean answered my question

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
B4D71207-B847-4428-8B4A-F0AB56DB73B8.jpeg
I posted this on Twitter for the Coach Sean McVay Show and they only asked the second part but i was happy to hear Coach McVay say they focus mostly on what they can learn from the official’s perspective. Most of us would probably harp on OLines holding our DLine or the many uncalled PI’s against our receivers but apparently Sean gets a better result when he focuses on what his players can do better.

I suppose JB knows Sean wouldn’t want to address anything close to suggesting criticism of Wade, but I’d sure like to know how much Sean wants to control more of what the defense does. Oh well, maybe next week one of you can get through.

In any case, it was kinda cool getting to communicate with our Coach.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
I’m sure Wade has full control of the defense. That’s the dynamic that allows McVay to manage the offense so well. I’m sure Bones has full control of special teams as well unless McVay decides the offense is going for it on 4th down.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I’m sure Wade has full control of the defense. That’s the dynamic that allows McVay to manage the offense so well. I’m sure Bones has full control of special teams as well unless McVay decides the offense is going for it on 4th down.

Consider this, 1.McVay can tell you what every defensive player did on every play. 2. He understands offense and how to attack defenses 3. He’s the head coach

Does he not have the responsibility to have input to the one area of the team that has the most glaring opportunity for improvement? Sure, he has to publicly support Wade. But behind closed doors, should he not make suggestions? Surely Wade is secure enough in himself to continue learning new things? Does anyone here really believe Sean’s genius ends with offensive acumen?

Sorry, I believe it’s a legitimate question Sean McVay would probably be wise to sidestep but I’d love to hear the truth, in detail. He can whisper it to me...I won’t tell.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
Consider this, 1.McVay can tell you what every defensive player did on every play. 2. He understands offense and how to attack defenses 3. He’s the head coach

Does he not have the responsibility to have input to the one area of the team that has the most glaring opportunity for improvement? Sure, he has to publicly support Wade. But behind closed doors, should he not make suggestions? Surely Wade is secure enough in himself to continue learning new things? Does anyone here really believe Sean’s genius ends with offensive acumen?

Sorry, I believe it’s a legitimate question Sean McVay would probably be wise to sidestep but I’d love to hear the truth, in detail. He can whisper it to me...I won’t tell.

I’m sure he has input but I don’t think he feels on his best day that he knows defense half as well as Wade. I’m sure they have discussions in strategy but I don’t see a situation where McVay challenges a guy that has more years coaching defense than McVay has been alive.

I don’t think it’s a knock on McVay at all though. The dynamic works incredibly well as we have seen. McVay brings the fresh, innovative offensive ideas while Wade uses his wisdom and situational experience to build the defense. I think the biggest issue is actually the league changing. It’s not only our defense but all defenses have suffered from the rules which increasingly favor the offense.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
It is his team thus all aspects are McVays responsibility. If I read him right he is studying all things defense. He came in as an offensive minded HC and he is getting great schooling on Defense. He will master that too and sooner than later he will have more say with Snead about the selection of the defensive players.

McVay is an idiot savant he will pick it up like he did basically recalling every play that is literally nuts! That concentration will make him the best coach to Belichick and in 5 years he will take over the mantle.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack

What blows me away is that he could recall at will all the plays in the Seattle/Carolina game and the plays various players made.

From anyone else, it'd sound like tampering...seriously...that praising other players could be seen in that light...from anyone EXCEPT Sean McVay. He's beyond exceptional and I'm beside myself with how blessed we are after so many years wandering the desert of bad coaching that we've truly entered into the land of milk and honey with McVay.

Edit: Don't be surprised if we hire Kliff Kingsbury as our QB coach or OC next season as he just got fired. I think adding further spread elements with Goff as the amazing, dime-dropping savant he is would only take this offense higher. And McVay working with someone like Kingsbury could potentially be something special.

I'm assuming the league continues to poach our coaching staff...

Ram65

Legend

I have to believe that McVay has to have some discussions with Wade about the defense. I bet he could be coaching defense too if he had the time. Wade and the Rams defense didn't have many answers in stopping the Chiefs. Some comments/advice from McVay should be sought out.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
If McVay has any discussion with Wade on the defense during a game I would think it might go like "WHAT THE HELL WADE??"

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
What blows me away is that he could recall at will all the plays in the Seattle/Carolina game and the plays various players made.

From anyone else, it'd sound like tampering...seriously...that praising other players could be seen in that light...from anyone EXCEPT Sean McVay. He's beyond exceptional and I'm beside myself with how blessed we are after so many years wandering the desert of bad coaching that we've truly entered into the land of milk and honey with McVay.

Edit: Don't be surprised if we hire Kliff Kingsbury as our QB coach or OC next season as he just got fired. I think adding further spread elements with Goff as the amazing, dime-dropping savant he is would only take this offense higher. And McVay working with someone like Kingsbury could potentially be something special.

I don’t understand the relationship? Far fetched. imo

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame
Based on seeing many many press confs with Sean his talks with Wade would be asking him who is putting out and who isn't. In no way will he ask about what's going on in general. He is leaving Wade in charge of pretty much everything. One of them...most likely Sean through Wade, will have Les either resign or let go of the weak links. I'm led to believe comunication is great with them, and Wade will seek out Sean with any concerns. I'm sure they've gone over what Sean expects, looking through many possibilties and what ifs. Sean is having periodic meetings with Wade whether good or bad is happening with the D... just to keep Sean updated on statuses. This is all pretty much a given... funny how I (and pretty sure some of you) know how Sean will respond to media questions as soon as they are asked. For the record Donald is also pretty predictable with the media...Gurley and Goff too.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wade and the Rams defense didn't have many answers in stopping the Chiefs.

We know they stopped them at least 6 times. 5 turnovers and 1 fg. Not sure if the chiefs had to punt at all. The only problem is they gave up 6 tds.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
I don’t understand the relationship? Far fetched. imo

Kingsbury has led one of the top offenses in college for years and there's a good chance that our offensive coaches are poached again.

Mostly I was spitballing. I dunno if McVay has any ties. I know the obvious one in KC is Mahomes, but their OC doesn't call plays so he's less likely to get poached. Also, as powerful as the Reid tree is, McVay has already had two offensive coaches go out and do well in their first year in other places, so teams will feel good about poaching our staff (unfortunately).

Riley from OU is likely to be looked at for HC jobs.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

Using Belichick as an example of the pinnacle of what a head coach should be, he coaches his coaches on both sides of the ball. McVay isn't really there yet, where I am sure he coaches his offensive coaches moreso.

I suspect with Wade he is learning a great deal working side by side with him, and rightly so. By the time Wade retires I think McVay will be in that Belichick range where he can talk shop at the highest level in all the positional rooms and have an elite grasp of defensive gameplanning and an ability to coach up his staff on both sides of the ball.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I'm thinking Kingsbury looks for somewhere he has control, but truly, if he wants to be a high-level HC, he should come work for McVay.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Figured he’d get hired fast