Scout On Jadeveon Clowney: Wouldn't Put My Job On Line For Him

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PhxRam

By Chase Goodbread
College Football 24/7 writer

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200000 ... ter_nfl_cb

Tack another NFL scout onto the pile of Jadeveon Clowney doubters who aren't ready to anoint him as a future All-Pro just because the 266-pound defensive end ran a 4.53 40-yard dash at the NFL Scouting Combine last week.

"I would not put my job on the line for that guy," the scout told the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel. "Who has a profile like that that's been successful in the NFL? Lazy. Not playing hard ... I think his physical talent is being overblown. At what point in his life has he had to push himself? Now you're going to give him this money and say, 'Do something you've never done in your life before. Against guys you just can't run over.' I would not do it."

Evaluations don't get much more honest than the ones derived from self-preservation, and here is a scout who wouldn't want his name attached to a multi-million dollar investment in Clowney. Scouts value their reputations and track records. It's how they're promoted. It's how they flame out. And while a scout who ties his reputation to a draft bust might be anonymous to the barstool crowd, it's how they're sometimes remembered in a more important circle: the employment circle.

But for every scout who has his doubts about Clowney, there is no shortage of others who see a different outcome for his pro career. In the same Journal-Sentinel report, another scout seemed ready to jump at the chance to endorse the enigmatic star.

"I don't know where people say he didn't play hard this year," the second scout said. "Not in the games I watched. They hold him."

The polarizing Clowney opinions continue.

And don't expect it to stop on May 8.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
He's a boom or bust pick. And we have zero need for DE. Why take that risk?

Trade down, or take an OT or WR. Say no to Clowney.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Who is this scout? Why is he scared to put his name to the quote? Does he even exist? Two anonymous completely different views of the same player. I'm guessing the writer just made up both quotes.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Who is this scout? Why is he scared to put his name to the quote? Does he even exist? Two anonymous completely different views of the same player. I'm guessing the writer just made up both quotes.

Nah, McGinn is reliable. I'm sure there's scouts out there that believe it. And I'm sure there are scouts out there that think he's the best player in the draft.

I don't care what they think. The film doesn't lie.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Perhaps the scout was referring to this guy?

clown.png

RamBill

Legend
Lattimore: Jadeveon Clowney's work ethic will be fine in NFL

By Daniel Kim NFL.com
Published: March 1, 2014 at 04:36 p.m.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...l-be-fine-in-nfl?campaign=Twitter_writers_kim

Jadeveon Clowney has taken his share of jabs from draft experts and even his own former college coach for what many perceive to be a poor work ethic. Some scouts have questioned whether Clowney might be too big a risk to take high in the draft.

Former Gamecocks running back Marcus Lattimore came to his ex-teammate's defense Saturday, telling NFL Media insider Ian Rapoport that Clowney's effort level isn't something that his future NFL team will have to worry about.

"I think when he gets around professionals, once he gets around J.J. Watt, those veterans, sees what it takes every single day, he'll be just like those guys," Lattimore said while promoting EAS Sports Nutrition supplements. "He's going to be fine. That's what happens. You get around pros, and you learn, and you start doing it. When the competition gets high, he'll rise to it."

Clowney, coming off a standout performance at the NFL Scouting Combine, is widely considered a potential No. 1 overall draft pick. Three of NFL.com's four mock drafts have the Houston Texans taking Clowney with the first pick.
But the concerns over Clowney's work ethic have hurt his draft stock in some circles. NFL Media analyst Mike Mayock has said they're enough of a red flag that Clowney might not be the first defensive player taken in the draft; Mayock said he would take Buffalo LB Khalil Mack over Clowney.

Lattimore, who played with Clowney at South Carolina for two seasons before being drafted by the San Francisco 49ers last year, said he thinks Clowney will be just fine, and that whoever drafts him won't regret it.

"He has all the talent in the world. He kind of reminds me of Aldon Smith with how athletic he is, the quickness," Lattimore said, referring to the 49ers' Pro Bowl linebacker. "I think he's going to do great."

Asked about Gamecocks coach Steve Spurrier's remark that Clowney's work ethic is just "OK," Lattimore laughed and said, "That's just coach Spurrier. Clowney is a great player."

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I saw them play about three full games last year, including the first one, and he definitely got winded, but in all the games that I saw, he played hard. He made some impossible tackles when teams ran away from him. I can't attest to how hard he works.

jap

Legend
To me too much of a stink is being made out of Jadeveon's so call willingness to take plays off. How many players go 100% every single play? Grant Wistrom and Chris Long had/have that Energizer Bunny reputation, but not much more players. As I stated months before, if you put Jadeveon on a team with the fundamentally sound Chris and the relentless Mighty One, how is his competitive juices supposed to stay bottled up? This guy will get caught up in the extreme passion of proving he can play as well or better! than our incumbent DE's!!!

Last edited:

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
To me too much of a stink is being made out of Jadeveon's so call willingness to take plays off. How many players go 100% every single play? Grant Wistrom and Chris Long had/have that Energizer Bunny reputation, but not much more players. As I stated months before, if you put Jadeveon on a team with the fundamentally sound Chris and the relentless Mighty One, how is his competitive juices supposed to stay bottled up? This guy will get caught up in the extreme passion of proving he can play as well or better than our incumbent DE's!!!
Look at how hard Ogletree worked last year. We have strong team leadership, and a strong program to support rookies.