Schottey out as OC

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Shotty got three full seasons to get the desired results and it didn't work out. Best of luck to him elsewhere.

This is going to be a very important hire obviously, and depending on which direction they go, could have significant impact upon the personnel decisions they make in the offseason. Bradford, OLine etc...

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I don't think anyone is *terrified* about a new system in as much as we KNOW how those things don't typically take hold in one season. There are outliers where teams have picked it up and done well, but how often does it sustain? Take Martz off of the Rams and their HOF talent, and what do you get? You get his stint with the Lions and 49ers. He didn't suddenly become a bad teacher, did he? Not at all. The talent he had to work with dropped off considerably though. Teachers can only teach. From there it gets handed off to the players for execution.

I don't want to go off on a tangent here, X. But the common perception on Martz is not true. He actually made the most of an offense devoid of offensive talent: under him Kitna had career years and went on record talking about what Mad Mike taught him. Also he had garbage at wideout but still put up two respectable years of offense (even Furry had a very good year at wideout) despite all the whining and blaming of him for the team losing. The year after he left they went 0-16 as we saw what most OCs could do with that offensive group of players.

Fans overplay the change of scheme IMO. Particularly Rams fans. Fact is most schemes have the same underlying concepts, routes, etc nowadays and borrow heavily from each other.

The only problem here is that IF Fish upgrades Schotty and we see an offensive explosion whoever is hired will be a head coach the next season. But that's a problem for later and hopefully one Fish needs to deal with.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
May be they are looking away from Bradford?

Good point. That's the first thing I thought of as well, that they would start fresh with a new OC, system, and QB.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...rian-schottenheimer-as-offensive-coordinator/

Georgia tabs Brian Schottenheimer as offensive coordinator
Posted by Mike Wilkening on January 7, 2015

schottenheimer.jpg
Getty Images

The Rams will reportedly need a new offensive coordinator.

Brian Schottenheimer, who has run the Rams’ offense since 2012, is leaving to become Georgia’s offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach, Seth Emerson of the Macon (Ga.) Telegraph reported Wednesday.

The 41-year-old Schottenheimer was the Jets’ offensive coordinator from 2006-2011 and the Chargers’ quarterbacks coach from 2002-2005. Though the bulk of his coaching experience has been in the pros, he did have one-season stints with Syracuse (1999) and USC (2000).

The Rams were 28th in total yards and 19th in yards per play in 2014. They were without starting quarterback Sam Bradford for entire season.

UPDATE 2:34 p.m. ET: Georgia has announced the hiring of Schottenheimer.
Guess Georgia wanted to get worse?
----------
Now the Rams might be scary.
---------
So from and NFL O coordinator that had interviewed for a few head coaching jobs to being fired and getting a job with Rams in same capacity to “leaving” to take an O coord position at a college you have zero ties to and was actually a rival from your college days at UF….hmmmmm
---------
On behalf of Rams fans everywhere…

THANK YOU GEORGIA

Tavon thanks you as well.
---------
He’s the only OC to get anything from Sanchez. He never had a good QB in the NFL.
----------
How many OC’s has Bradford had? He should know how to run every offensive scheme in pro-football soon.
----------
Don’t NFL coordinators typically take head coaching jobs in college? Who takes a demotion to college OC?

If you’ve enjoyed watching the SEC for it’s explosive offense and fast paced action well… get ready for the equivalent of the Dead-Ball Era.

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
It should be kept in mind that this new position will have job security for at least a few years. This whole regime's job security might be limited to this next year.
How do you figure that. Most all of the other coaches have been doing a great job.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Without stability at the QB position it's going to be a hard sell trying to bring in any big name OC's i would think. FA in March, the draft long after that...i would expect a promote from within move. To be honest i'm not all that thrilled about that proposition.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I don't want to go off on a tangent here, X. But the common perception on Martz is not true. He actually made the most of an offense devoid of offensive talent: under him Kitna had career years and went on record talking about what Mad Mike taught him. Also he had garbage at wideout but still put up two respectable years of offense (even Furry had a very good year at wideout) despite all the whining and blaming of him for the team losing. The year after he left they went 0-16 as we saw what most OCs could do with that offensive group of players.

Fans overplay the change of scheme IMO. Particularly Rams fans. Fact is most schemes have the same underlying concepts, routes, etc nowadays and borrow heavily from each other.

The only problem here is that IF Fish upgrades Schotty and we see an offensive explosion whoever is hired will be a head coach the next season. But that's a problem for later and hopefully one Fish needs to deal with.
I'm not trashing Martz. Only saying that it's a universal truth that if you don't have the horses, you're not pulling the carriage.
Take a look at the HUGE difference in his team ranks with teams that didn't have Warner, Bruce, Holt, Faulk, Pace, etc...
Sure some guys played well under him, but we're judging Schotty here on the basis of the team rank and record. So let's hold Martz to the same standard.

eRdzDMS.png

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
and he's outa here! the bar hasnt exactly been set high so let's see what happens.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
While, of course, we can never disprove the "Schotty was encouraged to look elsewhere rather than be fired" angle... there is one major problem with it. Why would Georgia have hired him unless they thought he was good?
I think keeping an eye on Shotty career from this point on will be interesting. I think that if Georgia has a couple of strong offensive seasons (with Chubb its a good start) Shotty will get a HC job.

RamBill

Legend

Schottenheimer leaves Rams for Georgia coordinator's job

• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_6e6b1727-e69c-555c-a995-012d588df2a5.html

Brian Schottenheimer has interviewed for jobs in each of the previous two offseasons, only to return to St. Louis.

This time he's leaving.

After three seasons as offensive coordinator for Jeff Fisher in St. Louis, Schottenheimer is leaving the Rams to become offensive coordinator for the Georgia Bulldogs.

Rams general manager Les Snead confirmed Schottenheimer's departure during a previously scheduled media session with reporters on Wednesday,

Schottenheimer, 41, interviewed with Jacksonville after the 2012 season for the Jaguars' head coaching job, which went to Gus Bradley.

Following the 2013 season, he interviewed for the Vanderbilt head-coaching job, which went to Derek Mason.

Snead said the Rams only became aware of Schottenheimer's interest in the Georgia coordinator's job within the past few days.

So Fisher, who said at his season-ending press conference Dec. 30 that he anticipated no staff changes, now has an important hire to make.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Without stability at the QB position it's going to be a hard sell trying to bring in any big name OC's i would think. FA in March, the draft long after that...i would expect a promote from within move. To be honest i'm not all that thrilled about that proposition.

I disagree Mojo.

Rams' offensive talent is going to be very attractive to prospective OCs. They will have Bradford returning who is solid if he's healthy, plus will be adding a QB to a very talented offense. Lastly, Fish is highly respected for a reason, as you can see with how he handled getting rid of Schotty.

I'll bet the Rams will have zero problems if they want to bring in another OC from outside. Oh and I do think it is possible they consider Cignetti, as I have posted on before he is a legitimate option given his production at Fresno St where he put up some very nice and balanced offenses. It's going to be interesting to see if Fish considers him alongside guys like Chud.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Good luck to him.
No idea who we get. Hopefully it's a guy with a similar system. Learning a totally different scheme is as hard on everyone on the offense, not just the QB.
My bet is Boras will step up.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm not trashing Martz. Only saying that it's a universal truth that if you don't have the horses, you're not pulling the carriage.
Take a look at the HUGE difference in his team ranks with teams that didn't have Warner, Bruce, Holt, Faulk, Pace, etc...
Sure some guys played well under him, but we're judging Schotty here on the basis of the team rank and record. So let's hold Martz to the same standard.

VPWwUQU.png
I think what's fair to note though is that Detroit improved by almost 3 pts per game his first year, almost another 3 pts his 2nd year and then back to trash the year after he left.
San Fran improved by 7 pts per game, then fell back by a point per game after he left
Chicago, though marginal did improve points per game in both years
As for the records, each team had a better record with Martz than the previous season except Detroit which slipped his first year but improved the 2nd
So yeah he didnt turn them in to the GSOT but he did improve them, and that's all we're looking for right?

LetsGoRams

Pro Bowler
Name
Thrasher
Damn! Now who's going to coach the other team at Coach Fisher's celebrity softball game!?

Alan

Legend
I think that had Fisher really been behind Schotty like he claimed he would still be our OC.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I disagree Mojo.

Rams' offensive talent is going to be very attractive to prospective OCs. They will have Bradford returning who is solid if he's healthy, plus will be adding a QB to a very talented offense. Lastly, Fish is highly respected for a reason, as you can see with how he handled getting rid of Schotty.

I'll bet the Rams will have zero problems if they want to bring in another OC from outside. Oh and I do think it is possible they consider Cignetti, as I have posted on before he is a legitimate option given his production at Fresno St where he put up some very nice and balanced offenses. It's going to be interesting to see if Fish considers him alongside guys like Chud.
Oh i agree that the young talent at the skill positions is attractive, but i maintain that the QB position is a mess in the Grand scheme of things when considering the relationship between OC and QB.
Bradford is a guy i'm sure many OC's would love to work with but the uncertainty of his durability renders that a question mark.

I don't know anything about Cignetti. What did he run at Fresno St?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor

eRdzDMS.png

Yes, his numbers were positively Schotty-like. But look at the personnel and what he got from them, guys like McDonald and Furrey.

Guess we just disagree which is no probs. I think Martz would slaughter defenses with the WR talent the Rams had this past season. Even with Hill at QB. So I'll let it go since there's no winning or losing this argument, hopefully the next hire is one everyone agrees on and more importantly will demonstrate that this offense does indeed have good talent.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I don't know anything about Cignetti. What did he run at Fresno St?
He held a clipboard for Pat Hill.
Cignetti washed out everywhere he went after. At Rutgers he wasnt well liked. Maybe he changed his ways but from what I had heard he wore out his welcome pretty quick

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Mojo: not sure what system he ran at Fresno St. But he had some outstanding offenses from 2002-2006 and should have an excellent handle on the Coryell offense so would represent no change in the system.

He also was well liked at Rutgers but went to the Rams after dumb@$$ was hired by the Bucs. He might be ready to do the job.