Schottenheimer to take Rams' OC job, pending contract

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8 ... line_stack

Brian Schottenheimer has been offered the St. Louis Rams' offensive coordinator job and will accept the position on new coach Jeff Fisher's staff, a league source said Sunday night.

All that's left to make it official is for the contract to be completed, according to the source.

Fisher and Schottenheimer, the New York Jets' former offensive coordinator, spent Sunday night at dinner discussing the position.

NFL Network insider Jason La Canfora reported that Schottenheimer's interview with the Rams began Sunday morning, two days after he talked with the University of Alabama about its offensive coordinator vacancy.

Schottenheimer told the Jets on Tuesday that he wouldn't return next season after six years of running an offense that often failed to live up to expectations. The Jets quickly hired former Miami Dolphins coach Tony Sparano to replace Schottenheimer.

The Rams agreed to terms with Fisher to be their coach Friday, and the team later confirmed it is finalizing the details of the contract.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Reports: Saints' Williams Headed To St. Louis

ST. LOUIS -- Sources close to the St. Louis Rams told numerous media outlets on Sunday that New Orleans Saints Defensive Coordinator Gregg Williams will join the staff of new Rams Head Coach Jeff Fisher.

The move would reunite the two men who last worked together when Fisher was the head coach of the Tennessee Titans. Williams' contract with the Saints expires this year.

Though credited with helping New Orleans win its first Super Bowl in 2009, Williams has faced criticism for the overall performance of the Black and Gold defense in his three years with the team. On Saturday, the Saints' season came to an end when the defense could not stop the San Francisco 49ers on two late-game marches that ended in touchdowns and a 36-32 49ers victory.

ESPN.com's Adam Schefter reports that New Orleans has compiled a "short list" of possible replacements. Schefter said the list includes former Rams head coach Steve Spagnuolo and Miami Dolphins defensive coordinator Mike Nolan.

Read more: http://www.wdsu.com/sports/30219183/det ... z1jaAXwSpH

bluecoconuts

Legend
Alright so we got the big three it seems.

Now position coaches, that's what really interests me to be honest.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
Nice. The staff is rounding out nicely.

I have, previously expressed, worries about the two being complementary coordinators, nonetheless I like both of the rumored hires. They are probably the two most well establish coordinators on the market.

Next up GM and hopefully some killer position coaches

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Wonder if Shott will also be at Tuesday's presser?

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Wow, well there you go. I guess we'll know soon enough if Sanchez was holding him back.

What I know about him... Dad's Marty. He was a high school state champ as a QB and then played (didn't really play) for Steve Spurrier. He's a very emotional guy (gets fired up), has a lot of experience working with QB's. Seems like a pretty good guy from what I saw on TV--Jets camp. He was a first time OC with the Jets and I had a hard time putting my finger on what they were trying to do, he did leave by his own account.

He was a pretty hot prospect as a head coach during his tenure at the Jets, which says a lot about him and the way he carries himself. He will be a head coach in the future.

I'm actually excited about this. The Jets are dysfunctional, but I don't think it was his fault. We'll see...

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Sure is nice to think about the experience each of these coaches has. A far cry from first-time in the position coaches. :wootwoot:

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Selassie I said:
Sure is nice to think about the experience each of these coaches has. A far cry from first-time in the position coaches. :wootwoot:
This was exactly what I was hoping for if Fisher signed, for him to move fast on putting his staff together.

Now we have to get the GM of our dreams.

superfan24

Starter
Wow so its set for the most part. Very pleased about Shotty being brought in. Will his O be similar to the WCO at all?
Still cautious about Williams, but I guess just wait and see. At least he'll stay with the 4-3.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
zn said:
I like this hire.

Granted I liked the McD hire too.
Well then it's official.

We're screwed. :razzed:

bluecoconuts

Legend
superfan24 said:
Wow so its set for the most part. Very pleased about Shotty being brought in. Will his O be similar to the WCO at all?
Still cautious about Williams, but I guess just wait and see. At least he'll stay with the 4-3.

From what I hear he runs a variation of the WCO, so I would expect plenty of running, and Sam Bradford roll outs. He's not afraid to go deep either from what I can remember (I don't watch the Jets too often).

Best case scenario would be a mix between Shurmur and McDaniels. Control the game, let Bradford roll out and throw the shorter passes, and then throw in a little Josh and take a shot downfield for the home run. That's what I'm hoping to see anyway.

BuiltRamTough

Pro Bowler
Name
Edmond
I haven't watched a lot of Jets games but I listen to Sirius nfl radio 24/7 bc I'm a truck driver and I hear only good things about him infact a couple of weeks ago they're we're analyzing why the jets offense regressed and there all sayin the same thing so they're reasons we're the lack of Marks progression and as a whole team they got away from the running game "round and pound" if you all haven't watched alot of jets games nObody could assume if his the right choice or not but hoping he is

Anonymous

bluecoconuts said:
superfan24 said:

From what I hear he runs a variation of the WCO, so I would expect plenty of running, and Sam Bradford roll outs. He's not afraid to go deep either from what I can remember (I don't watch the Jets too often).

Best case scenario would be a mix between Shurmur and McDaniels. Control the game, let Bradford roll out and throw the shorter passes, and then throw in a little Josh and take a shot downfield for the home run. That's what I'm hoping to see anyway.

Brian S is a Coryell system guy, not WCO.

iBruce

Pro Bowler
Name
Cory
I'm not upset by these hires at all. In fact, I'm getting excited about being a Rams fan again. Better just stop now.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
bluecoconuts said:
superfan24 said:

ZN is right about the scheme basis.

But what I have highlighted... That is exactly what Bradford needs in a OC. His role out skills have been severely underutilized, and while he has the arm to take shots, he obviously is more comfortable in the short passing game.

bluecoconuts

Legend
zn said:
bluecoconuts said:
superfan24 said:

Ah alright, that works.

superfan24

Starter
bluecoconuts said:
superfan24 said:

Sounds awesome to me, thanks for the info.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
zn said:
bluecoconuts said:
superfan24 said:

True. Ernie Zampese >>> Norv Turner >>> Cam Cameron >>> Brian Schottenheimer.