Scenario: Rams acquire a veteran QB

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Okay so I have an interesting scenario that I've been pondering and I'm curious what you all think.

Let's say the Rams talk to the Bears or the Saints and they are able to acquire either Brees or Cutler for our 2nd round pick. I know some of you hate Cutler. But let's put that aside and assume it happened. Either one. Doesn't change the scenario imo.

Assume that the top 3 QBs (Lynch, Goff, and Wentz) will be gone by #15.

What do you do after that? Unless you're a Mannion fan, we have to find a QB of the future still. Off the top of my head, here are a few options:
1. We trade up from #15 using our remaining 2nd and a future 2nd or 3rd round pick into the top 10 and choose the #3 QB.
2. We select Treadwell at #15 and then take a second tier QB on Day 2 (Prescott, Brissett, Cardale, etc.) to develop behind Cutler or Brees.
3. We trade down from #15 to the late first round and select Connor Cook or Christian Hackenberg.
4. We pick at #15 and don't take a QB at all.(for the Mannion fans)

I'm sure there are other options you all can come up with. I didn't post a poll because I want to hear people's rationale behind their choice. What are y'all's thoughts?

I'm torn. I'd be in favor of any of the first three options. The first option would be tough because we'd have so few picks this year but we'd have a talented QB to groom and the ability to contend this year. The second option would be nice but there's a strong chance that the QB we draft never develops into anything worthwhile. The third option would be great...but neither of those QBs are sure things.

I guess I'd say Option #3 (with us picking Cook) would be the top option for me narrowly edging out Option #2 (pick Treadwell and then pick Brissett or Cardale in the 3rd round).

What say you, ROD?
:thinking:There are other options too:
#5 - Trade up for OT Ronnie Stanley of Notre Dame, or OT Taylor Decker of Ohio.
#6 - Trade up For ILB Reggie Ragland of Ala.
#7 - Stay and go after a DT at #15.
#8 - Trade down, pick up another Draft pick, and go after OG Vadal Alexander of LSU, or OC Ryan Kelly of Ala.

Just my 2 cents worth!!:D

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Why would Chicago trade Cutler?

Because Fox isn't stupid and knows he's a coach killer. Way too inconsistent, so it would not surprise me at all if Fox dangled him for some ammo to ease a move up for one of these QBs.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
:thinking:There are other options too:
#5 - Trade up for OT Ronnie Stanley of Notre Dame, or OT Taylor Decker of Ohio.
#6 - Trade up For ILB Reggie Ragland of Ala.
#7 - Stay and go after a DT at #15.
#8 - Trade down, pick up another Draft pick, and go after OG Vadal Alexander of LSU, or OC Ryan Kelly of Ala.

Just my 2 cents worth!!:D

So many Olinemen. I don't think Fisher is ready to give up on Robinson so fast. They could use a Center that is a bit more stout. But they can get that later. The Guards probably are not in the picture either. Fisher thinks that Brown can be a perennial All Pro. Wichman and Reynolds both filled in admirably enough to think one is the starter next season.

This team needs a QB, Wr, TE, MLB, and DE. Now, I will be interested to see what they think of Ragland. Fisher and Williams like their MLBs to be able to cover. Pass coverage is his weakness but otherwise he is all over the field and very strong. He sure would help the run defense.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Because Fox isn't stupid and knows he's a coach killer. Way too inconsistent, so it would not surprise me at all if Fox dangled him for some ammo to ease a move up for one of these QBs.

Cutler was pretty good with Gase as OC, but now he is gone. Just trading Cutler for the sake of trading him doesn't make sense. They have to have another option if they go that route. Ditto for Brees. I think the Saints would want more than a second round pick for Brees if they traded him. Plus if the Rams did get him, then there goes all of that cap space they had. I think they would be satisfied with Cook rather than go that route.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

However I am 100% sure that Treadwell will not be there @ #15.....I would take the best DE on the board its most likely that DE Shaq Lawson will be available instead. A Lawson selection will save big big cap cash $$$$ . You can safely release the $14.2 million price tag on Chris Long, you will not have to give William Hayes a big pay raise of 6 million or better & not need to pay raise Eugene Sims (2 million) to resign either. That will save over 22 million or better @ the three DE positions. You can go with youth instead of gray beards.....Shaq Lawson, Rob Quinn, Ethan Westbrooks & John Longacre along with Akeem Ayers as your five DE's.

Then go get prospect WR Tyler Boyd with that second round pick. Thus providing cap cash for a UFA a pass catching Tight End like Coby Flenner, Zack Miller or Ben Watson. Provides cap cash for a UFA wide out like a Travis Benjamin, Rishard Matthews or Marvin Jones.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
In that scenario, you just get some weapons and kind go into "win now" mode....which it's time for anyways.

If no viable WR is available at 15, go for BPA - we could viably use a MLB/DE/DT/G/C.

Grab a WR and TE with the 2nd round picks.

If we acquire a veteran QB, it gives us more time to see what we have in Mannion. No reason to take a QB unless we fall in love with one.

rafa

Starter
Name
Rafael
Okay so I have an interesting scenario that I've been pondering and I'm curious what you all think.
4. We pick at #15 and don't take a QB at all.(for the Mannion fans)

I want to see what we have in Mannion before we draft another QB, even though I'm inclined to want Goff.
would be great if Treadwell is available here in the first round (#15). Then I would like to see a TE (Henry or Engram) and a DE in the second round.

\o

OC_Ram

Restricted Free Agent
I want to see what we have in Mannion before we draft another QB, even though I'm inclined to want Goff.
would be great if Treadwell is available here in the first round (#15). Then I would like to see a TE (Henry or Engram) and a DE in the second round.

\o

Well I can't hardly say i'm a Mannion fan as I've hardly seen him play, however it would be nice to develop our 3rd round pick.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
But for how long? Say Brees has five good years in him. By then the rookies contract runs out and signs elsewhere. Plus using on a first on a guy would be contingent on how long you plan to train him. Likewise, using a second rounder on a veteran is also contingent on how long you plan for him to be around. If it is only one or two years, then I don't do it. That pick is too valuable. Unless of course the guy puts them in the Super bowl.

Brees is 37 years old. I'd count us as very lucky if we get two more great/elite years out of him.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I actually like Cutler. I wouldn't mind seeing us go after him. My preference in that scenario would be to go after Wentz in the first and get rid of Foles and make the real competition between Mannion and Keenum. I can't see us keeping four QBs on the roster so we would have two inexperienced back-ups behind a vet. If Wentz is equal to the hype, he leap frogs Mannion and maybe even starts mid way through the season.

For me it all really depends on what they see in Mannion. If they think he can become a starter, I think they should go with a top WR. If not, they should go after the best option at QB and potentially both in the draft and via trade.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
While we are dreaming of Cutler, what if we add the option of acquiring Matt Stafford with our 1st rounder

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
While we are dreaming of Cutler, what if we add the option of acquiring Matt Stafford with our 1st rounder

I like to think of what would be most likely in the realm of Fisher. He likes smart QBs that don't turn the ball over or take chances. Of the three discussed who best fits that bill? Just guessing it is Brees, plus Brees is the most veteran of the bunch.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I like to think of what would be most likely in the realm of Fisher. He likes smart QBs that don't turn the ball over or take chances. Of the three discussed who best fits that bill? Just guessing it is Brees, plus Brees is the most veteran of the bunch.
There's no way Brees is going to LA. At his age, with his CAP number? And not for nothing, he needs to be in an offense that throws it 40 times a game so he can move up the career charts

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Trade down from 15. I think the three qbs and Treadwell will be gone by 15 so we'll have to move up. Move back take the bpa, likely CB or DE. Use the extra pick in the second on Brissett and add WR/TE help with the other 2nd and 3rd rounders we have or get.

This right here, IMO, trade with the Giants at 10, they will be looking to trade down as they target a running back and need picks and IMO the Rams have to get ahead of the Eagles and most likely end up with Lynch.

I don't think there is a veteran QB to be had and I still embrace the idea of Chase Daniels as a free agent trade or release Foles let Daniels and Keenum battle it out and trade the lose, now that is a trade I know a team will make and then trade up and draft Lynch or if one of the others slip.

I look at it this way, the Rams have tried the trade route now they need to look at free agency and follow the formula that has worked best for Fisher & Snead and that's the draft and IMO I have good feelings about Goff, Wentz and Lynch and one of them must end up in Horns.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
There's no way Brees is going to LA. At his age, with his CAP number? And not for nothing, he needs to be in an offense that throws it 40 times a game so he can move up the career charts

And that is why I originally said draft a guy like Cook if there is no shot at the top 3. The Rams have a bunch of free agents to sign and all of those QBs mentioned would screw the cap.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And that is why I originally said draft a guy like Cook if there is no shot at the top 3. The Rams have a bunch of free agents to sign and all of those QBs mentioned would screw the cap.
Rams are way under the cap from what ive seen reported. Id be ok with Cutler because of his age
As for Cook, I'd rather roll with Mannion

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I look at it this way, the Rams have tried the trade route now they need to look at free agency and follow the formula that has worked best for Fisher & Snead and that's the draft and IMO I have good feelings about Goff, Wentz and Lynch and one of them must end up in Horns.

Agreed Den. Rams need a guy they can build around for the future and moving up is something they can do. I can't remember a draft where I liked the top 3 QBs as much as I do this year. THIS is the draft to get it done and it's also good timing to allow for that QB they draft to be ready to hit his third year stride in 2019 when they open the new stadium.

No more settling, or screwing around with castoffs from other teams. Get your guy.

The only concern I have is whether 10 overall is high enough. If someone moves up to 1 overall to get their QB it's on man. Then Cleveland goes QB at 2 and all of a sudden 10 doesn't look nearly good enough, not even close. This is why I'd be talking with the Titans about 1 overall. I would move up to 1 overall and draft Goff. I don't care if I have to give up our first round pick in 2017 and 2018, I would do it. Goff is going to be an excellent QB in this league and the Rams are going to win a lot of games with him and Gurley in the backfield. Just do it IMO.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

That's certainly an option. But I don't think Detroit will be looking to trade him. He finished strong in Cooter's offense and they kept Caldwell around for another year.