Sammy Watkins and the Playbook

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Now that we have Sammy W as a Ram - a move that I'm really happy with btw - how quickly will he be able to pick up the playbook? Anyone out there with knowledge of learning a playbook? How quickly does it take, I know everyone's different, but how many plays can you pick up in a week or so?

On a side note the Rams now have 4 of the WRs I wanted us to draft over the last few years.

Sammy Watkins
Robert Woods
Tavon Austin
and Cooper Kupp

Sometimes I wish people would just listen to me in the first place ;)

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
Now that we have Sammy W as a Ram - a move that I'm really happy with btw - how quickly will he be able to pick up the playbook? Anyone out there with knowledge of learning a playbook? How quickly does it take, I know everyone's different, but how many plays can you pick up in a week or so?

On a side note the Rams now have 4 of the WRs I wanted us to draft over the last few years.

Sammy Watkins
Robert Woods
Tavon Austin
and Cooper Kupp

Sometimes I wish people would just listen to me in the first place ;)

He addressed it personally. He said it would take him a week to a week and a half, depending on how much studying he can get in.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
He addressed it personally. He said it would take him a week to a week and a half, depending on how much studying he can get in.

Excellent - thanks @JackDRams I've been off grid for most of the last week, only just catching up with things :) WOW - a week to a week and a half, I'm impressed with that!!

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I would guess he will debut against the Chargers and have the offense down by week 1

Psycho_X

Legend
He should be fine by week 1 and that's all that matters. I'd be fine with not seeing him in the preseason.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
He should be fine by week 1 and that's all that matters. I'd be fine with not seeing him in the preseason.

Same here, I'm ok to not see him in preseason, but it would be great to unleash him on week 1 of regular season.

I think we'll see him even next pre-season game

I guess he wouldn't be on for many snaps either - McVay has given himself a selection headache I think - what a good place to be :)

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It becomes a lot easier as a veteran because you're already familiar with how NFL routes are run, and route trees don't differ that much. He'll just have to get the verbiage, formations, and route concepts down. @JackDRams is correct. He said it'll take him a week to a week and a half.

It'll probably take him a bit more time to get comfortable with Goff and some of the reads, but he should be ready to roll by the time Week 1 gets here.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He said about 2 weeks. And when you think about it, he has 4 before week 1. So he has almost 30 days to study

jap

Legend
He can play this Saturday with selected plays while he continues to absorb the rest of the plays. I expect his play selection list will increase with each successive pre-season game until he's ready for prime time.

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg
Yeah, the way he sounded in the interview he seemed really confident that he's a very quick study.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
If McVay is the more traditional "third preseason game is the dress rehearsal", my bet would be that's when Watkins gets his first significant taste, and that's plenty of time to pick up the core playbook.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
It becomes a lot easier as a veteran because you're already familiar with how NFL routes are run, and route trees don't differ that much. He'll just have to get the verbiage, formations, and route concepts down. @JackDRams is correct. He said it'll take him a week to a week and a half.

It'll probably take him a bit more time to get comfortable with Goff and some of the reads, but he should be ready to roll by the time Week 1 gets here.

Having been with Robert Woods , them being tight will help.He needs to get reps with the first team. Buffalo show cases him last Thursday.
Maybe you sit him this next game to get his head straight.He should have no problem learning the offense. Woods said he was the team leader of the WR group.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I think we'll see him even next pre-season game

That's possible if he gets the playbook down, but my guess is week 3 of preseason. And it will be very, very limited snaps given his injury history.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's possible if he gets the playbook down, but my guess is week 3 of preseason. And it will be very, very limited snaps given his injury history.
We'll see...It seems to me that they could dial up some similar plays that he saw in Buffalo....not many, just a couple. It's not like he's an old veteran or a guy that isn't healthy (see the first preseason game in Buffalo). If he's a guy that learns better by doing, he might be better served to play sooner than to bubble wrap him.

rams56

Bleeding Rams Blue and Gold
Name
Steve
I'm predicting we see him some this coming weekend........ ;)

Go Rams....... ;)