Sam Sloman Appreciation Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
just wondering if that missed kick had cost us the game if posters would feel the same. oh well we win so it is all onward upward right to the big bowl

That’s a good question, and it did make me pause.

I’d answer; for me... in this game... hitting 4 of 5 in his first game. Yes, I’d look elsewhere for the loss.

tklongball

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
just wondering if that missed kick had cost us the game if posters would feel the same. oh well we win so it is all onward upward right to the big bowl
Also wondering if the missed kick hit the upright 1 inch to the right and went through if we would be taking about this at all.

“Turbo set!”

Pro Bowler
I was one of the first to say after the miss that he should get a break being in his first NFL game.

At the same time pressure aside kicking is the least difficult job on the field. Anyone can learn the technique to kicking in a minute. He just needs to figure out how to deal with the pressure.

The trajectory of his kicks certainly isn't something we have seen before. Maybe it is just high enough and it won't be an issue. We will find out soon enough.

Ram65

Legend
1600135657913.png

We should give him this as he shit the bed on hid first FG attempt which was from 29 yards out.

After the miss, his kicks looked about down the middle. I'll wait on some more KOs but, like think he could use a little, more air. I think he will be steady on FGs he has a nice repeatable swing. The ball goes end over end.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Anyone watching MNF?

Titans kicker is missing everything. And some want to already cut Sammy.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
yeah but that announcer is worthless.

if it's easily blocked how come none of them were blocked?

Exactly.

Well of course Collinsworth has studied trajectory of all kicks and certainly didn't come up with some bullshit line and blather on with additional bullshit to back it up. When has he ever done that? Oh wait... EVERY WEEK? Sorry... my bad.

Angry Ram

Awww I like Chris, he's the only one besides Tony Romo that has fun, despite what he says.

Oh look Titans kicker missed an XP.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
View attachment 38978

We should give him this as he shit the bed on hid first FG attempt which was from 29 yards out.

After the miss, his kicks looked about down the middle. I'll wait on some more KOs but, like think he could use a little, more air. I think he will be steady on FGs he has a nice repeatable swing. The ball goes end over end.
Do you think anyone would have looked and skewed their views of the kicks if that blow hard hired to spew football speak hadn't said anything? I'm guessing not.

I started watching and honestly saw what I regularly see. A kick that clears the line men's hands by a few inches. It is normal until a rusher blows through blockers or gets a good launch.

Does anyone really think Fossel wouldn't have schemed for a block if there was an inkling of reality to that idiot's brilliant observation? You mean CC's position on those kicks was better than Bones'? I'm guessing not.

I'm not bagging on you @Ram65 . I just consider CC as a blowhard that gets paid to never think and shut his trap. He gets paid to blather on and too many times I want to cork his dumbass pie hole.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Awww I like Chris, he's the only one besides Tony Romo that has fun, despite what he says.

Oh look Titans kicker missed an XP.
I think Romo has fun. Chris seems to take himself WAY too seriously. And when he comes up with garbage, he simply doubles and triples down. Harp on it enough - it MUST be true.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
We had a much better kicker on our roster in training camp, but they kept the kid because they drafted him.

I think we’d all agree; if you don’t win in this league... It’s “Not For Long” right?...

With that as a backdrop; why would a coach keep the lesser kicker?

That’s the stuff that gets you fired. I have more confidence in our coaches than that.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Man some of you people are like barbarians at the gate on this one. Kickers are fuckin strange and we knew this ride might get a little bumpy but we gotta ride it out.

And I'll agree with the takes above mentioning the movement on GZ's ball... I hate movement on a kicker's ball. Sloman's kicks have authority to them, they don't fuck around it's straight up and through. The angle was a good note by the broadcast team (for once), Collinsworth isn't totally worthless, but that was corrected on subsequent kicks.

So I'm gonna go with @den-the-coach's recommendation here and subject myself to the soothing voice of the man who named himself after one of America's greatest culinary delights...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8JA9Qs2Mho&ab_channel=FuschiaAlligator

Angry Ram

I think Romo has fun. Chris seems to take himself WAY too seriously. And when he comes up with garbage, he simply doubles and triples down. Harp on it enough - it MUST be true.

Yeah I've noticed that too, but he doesn't bother me as much as others.

SWAdude

And don't call me Shirley
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
John
Coaches saw something in camp none of us could possibly see. If this is my million dollar decision, I am going with their recommendation right now and no one else.

Low trajectory, kicked to the goal line, missed a 29 yard field goal.

After the "trajectory" statement all the kicks looked good height wise.

Kicking to the goal line is certainly a game play. Half the players on the team could kick a ball 80 yards. Placing it is like golf.

All the kickers miss 29 yard field goals. Some more than others. Dudes first kick in the NFL at 21 yoa on the largest stage maybe ever due to the lack of sports the past half year. I trust the coaches.

Lets give the guy a decent chance before bringing back Ficken. Unless that is the standard we want. :biggrin:

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
So the other two rookie PKs also had their issues week 1. Blankenship missed a 30 yard while making two 30+ kicks. Same as sloman.
Bass was 2-4 from 30-39. Although one of those misses was actually good - refs goofed. Still, it wasn’t a good kick.

Billy Baroo

How about a Fresca?
A record 19 FG’s were missed opening week including 3 by Gostkowski. I give Sam a break for missing his first try ever. However, he should be on a short leash. Steven Hauschka would be best FA option right now IMO.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
No offense but he's a pro for a reason and until he makes something longer than an extra point try I can't get excited. Legatron spoiled us. We expected 45-50 yarder's. This guy missed a 29 yard field goal so the jury is still out. I'm pulling for him of course but the trajectory of his kicks might be an issue. Especially at longer lengths.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
Coaches saw something in camp none of us could possibly see. If this is my million dollar decision, I am going with their recommendation right now and no one else.

Lets give the guy a decent chance before bringing back Ficken. Unless that is the standard we want. :biggrin:

I'm going with what my eyes saw, a guy that couldn't handle the pressure and missing his first kick. What happens when it's his first game winner, or his first playoff kick? Will he be "nervous" for those too?

And no one is saying bring back Ficken. There are much better options out there.