Sam Rogers our Mr. Multi

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

JRobinson

MiLB
I like the pick - and it wasn't in the second round like Brian Leonard back in 07...

Oh. My. Gosh. Bro.

I hated that pick. Please don't remind me of the kid that looked like a rabbit out there just hurdling over people. What a wasted pick man. Glad those decision makers are gone

Billy Baroo

How about a Fresca?
Haha, I'll always remember that pick fondly. Was at ramstalk back then and when the Rams made that pick some poster (something like cucumber or pickle Ram) lost his crap. I think he managed to cry on the Internet. Didn't understand how someone could act like that over a 2nd round pick....until we saw leonard in pads when the season started.

You laugh but Leonard played 8 seasons in the league.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Haha, I'll always remember that pick fondly. Was at ramstalk back then and when the Rams made that pick some poster (something like cucumber or pickle Ram) lost his crap. I think he managed to cry on the Internet. Didn't understand how someone could act like that over a 2nd round pick....until we saw leonard in pads when the season started.

Picklefork ? He was actually one of the better informed posters from that site imo, but he could get testy with those of a different opinion and seemed to take it personal at times. I'll say this, he was right a lot more than he was wrong, by a wide margin, ... I considered him one of those go-to posters, where if you saw his name you were quite likely to open that thread before some others. He was a good read, brought an interesting insight, and after several years he just kind of faded out of the picture a year or so prior the team moving. jmo

Zero

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Being honest here....Criticized the pick when made, but McVay spoke about utilizing different match ups giving the defense multiple looks and I guess that's an upgrade from the likes of Boras, Groh & Weinke.
Multiplicity.Not seen around here since Martz.
The days of predicting what the Rams are doing offensively are over.
I think he is the type of player that can really grow on you.
Hard nosed,Blue collar type that is always giving 110.

rdw

Pro Bowler
Oh. My. Gosh. Bro.

I hated that pick. Please don't remind me of the kid that looked like a rabbit out there just hurdling over people. What a wasted pick man. Glad those decision makers are gone

RIP the Leonard Leap
leonard-large.jpg

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
I admit that I wasn't a fan of a fullback. I thought that we didn't need one with Harkey. But if Rogers is a better version of the guy the Whiners signed...well, sign me up!

It's no secret that Kyle and McVay share some of the same offensive philosophies and when Kyle's 9ers signed FB Juszczyk, many that know K. Shanahan's scheme thought it was an excellent addition for his new team.

Juszczyk was a Pro Bowler (for the Ravens) who caught 37 passes last season. He’s only 25-years old. Plus, he has no injury history, Juszczyk will be the 49ers starting fullback.
http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/report-49ers-sign-fb-kyle-juszczyk/

My question is... Who was considered the Redskins top FB/H-Back in 2016? Did McVay utilize the Redskins FB/H-back in 2016 in the same ways Kyle did with his 2 back sets for the Falcons in 2016?

Is Sam Rogers a different piece to the puzzle than the Redskins utilized in their 2016 offense?

Does McVay have the same 2 back personnel vision that the Falcons ran under Kyle in 2016? Am I out of line to even use Juszczyk/Hyde and Rogers/Gurley in the same concept as Shanahan's 2 back sets of 2016 with Devonta Freeman and Tevin Coleman ?

Rogers doesn't necessarily fit the profile if you use the Freeman Coleman one two punch.. Gurley/Rogers are not of the same mold but might be used under the same scheme/concept?

Is Carlos Hyde and Kyle Juszczyk Shanahan's version of Coleman and Freeman? If Rogers turns out to be a late draft day sleeper and makes the team, is Gurley and Rogers going to be used like Freeman and Coleman were?

Just thinking out loud and asking some of you wiese ROD members for opinions/feedback etc..
______________________________________________________________________________________
Devonta Freeman and Tevin Coleman are a lot alike, but don’t confuse one for the other:

Atlanta’s two explosive running backs have a lot of similarities, but slightly different skill sets that make them difficult to defend.

Atlanta Falcons running backs Devonta Freeman and Tevin Coleman are arguably the best tailback tandem in the league. The two players each possess game-changing speed and have the ability to break off big plays, leaving defenders in the dust.

They also take the same approach to the game.

“They both run really hard. They’re always finishing with their shoulder pads forward. They’re always trying to gain every yard they can,” Falcons left guard Andy Levitre said. “They’re some of the hardest runners I’ve been around. They’re fun to play with and they’re fun to watch running down the field in front of me.”

New England Patriots head coach Bill Belichick sees a number of common themes in Freeman and Coleman’s games, and he says their skill sets make the Falcons offense more difficult to defend.

“They’re fast, they catch the ball well, they’re hard to tackle,” Belichick said. “They catch the ball down the field. They’re certainly dangerous on catch-and-run plays — checkdowns, screens, things like that.

“And they’re great running backs. They can get outside, they can run inside, they do a great job of breaking tackles. They make people miss in space. They run over guys, they run through them, they dodge them, and they don’t fumble.”

Freeman and Coleman are similar in a number of ways, and because of this, it may be a little challenging for people outside of the Falcons’ fan base to differentiate between the two backs.

We’re here to help.

Freeman is shifty and agile, with remarkable vision

Size is one of the main contrasts between the two. Freeman is 5’8 and 206 pounds. Coleman’s taller, 6’1, and about the same weight at 210 pounds. Freeman’s size complements his skill set, which centers around quickness and lateral speed.

Freeman was drafted by the Falcons in the 2014 draft, and the fourth-rounder out of Florida State demonstrated early on that he has preternatural vision. If there’s a hole, he’s going to find it and hit it and make defenders miss.

“Devonta can make you miss in a hole that you don’t think he can make you miss in,” fullback Patrick DiMarco said.

He was also pretty well-rounded for a young back, exhibiting not just a willingness to pass block, but an affinity for it as well.

He also was able to incorporate into the passing game right away, contributing almost as many receiving yards as rushing yards in his rookie season. In his second year in the league, the Pro Bowler finished with 1,061 rushing yards and 578 yards through the air. Freeman put up similar numbers this season on the ground, 1,079 yards, and through the air, with 462 yards in Atlanta’s dynamic passing game. He had 13 total touchdowns.

Freeman can find a hole both on the ground or through the air. We saw it in the Divisional Round, when Freeman made Seattle Seahawks safety Steven Terrell miss for a 53-yard gain.

“Devonta, he’s real agile, as you’ve seen this whole season,” Falcons right tackle Ryan Schraeder said. “He can cut on a dime, and he’s real jukey. He runs physically hard. I think he’s a pit bull, man. He’s ready to take on whoever comes after him.”

Freeman’s lateral speed is one thing that separates his game from Coleman’s, but Coleman’s strength lies elsewhere.

Coleman can take one cut and he’s gone

While Freeman is quick in his own right, Coleman boasts superior straight-line speed.

“Tevin’s a speed guy. Tevin can run with anybody in this league,” DiMarco said.

Schraeder said that while Freeman is evasive, Coleman is happy to just run a defender over.

“Tevin — you give him one cut, and he’s gone,” Schraeder said. “And Tevin, he’s super-quick. Lightning quick. And he also runs super-hard. He tries to run through people bigger than him.”

That speed was certainly an attribute that the Falcons coveted when they selected Coleman out of Indiana in the third round of the 2015 draft. Coleman won the starting tailback job heading into his rookie season, but Freeman took over when he went down with cracked ribs early in the season.

Freeman kept a hold on the starting job after Coleman returned, partly because he was a more effective receiver out of the backfield, but that’s all changed. Coleman has become a real threat as a receiver, just like Freeman.

“We found out like the Denver game, Tevin, I know he had a bunch of receiving yards,” Schraeder said. “Linebackers can’t keep up with him, so he’s a big mismatch, and Devonta — he has just as much speed, and he’s a heck of a receiver out of the backfield.”

Coleman went from 14 receiving yards in 2015 to 421 this season. He added 520 yards on the ground for Atlanta, and 11 total touchdowns.

Coleman thinks that he’s more powerful, while Freeman is shiftier.

“We’re both competitors,” Coleman said. “Devonta, he more has fast feet, you know what I’m saying? Quick feet, and I’m more a speed guy, I’m more explosive.”

Their differences are subtle, and their skill sets are varied and comprehensive. They’re not just impressive runners, and they’re not just good receivers out of the backfield. Freeman and Coleman contribute to the Falcons’ top-scoring offense in other ways.

“Both extremely intelligent, and they’re both tough as nails,” DiMarco said. “That’s kind of where they blend together and you don’t miss a beat with those guys is in pass protection. They’ve got another responsibility, and they’re going to go up there and hit them in the mouth.

“So it’s definitely big when you can have two backs that are really good with the ball in their hands, be good without the ball in their hands as well.”

Atlanta has a powerful one-two punch in its backfield, and Freeman and Coleman may be the difference against a stingy Patriots defense in Super Bowl 51.

http://www.sbnation.com/2017/2/3/14376236/devonta-freeman-tevin-coleman-falcons-running-back-duo

Last edited:

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I admit that I wasn't a fan of a fullback. I thought that we didn't need one with Harkey. But if Rogers is a better version of the guy the Whiners signed...well, sign me up!
He was the Highest rated FB in the Draft, so if you want one, you couldn't have done any better! I liked the pick, and was thinking, pre-Draft that Drafting one would be helpful and very interesting!

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
My personal favorite Knife, sense I was 18, and in the Corps!

K-Bar.jpg
I still have it, and never go Camping without it! (55 years later) And it really holds it's edge well!!

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
It's no secret that Kyle and McVay share some of the same offensive philosophies and when Kyle's 9ers signed FB Juszczyk, many that know K. Shanahan's scheme thought it was an excellent addition for his new team.

Juszczyk was a Pro Bowler (for the Ravens) who caught 37 passes last season. He’s only 25-years old. Plus, he has no injury history, Juszczyk will be the 49ers starting fullback.
http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/report-49ers-sign-fb-kyle-juszczyk/

My question is... Who was considered the Redskins top FB/H-Back in 2016? Did McVay utilize the Redskins FB/H-back in 2016 in the same ways Kyle did with his 2 back sets for the Falcons in 2016?

Is Sam Rogers a different piece to the puzzle than the Redskins utilized in their 2016 offense?

Does McVay have the same 2 back personnel vision that the Falcons ran under Kyle in 2016? Am I out of line to even use Juszczyk/Hyde and Rogers/Gurley in the same concept as Shanahan's 2 back sets of 2016 with Devonta Freeman and Tevin Coleman ?

I had mocked Juszczyk to the Rams as a free agent prior to the draft, and when I saw what S.F. paid for him I nearly went cardiac.

In answer to your question about whether Washington employed a FB in 2016, I couldn't find any evidence that they had, or even that they used a TE much as a blocking FB. Being a pass first team without much of a running game, it may not of made much sense for them at the time. On the other hand, Coach Kromer and the Buffalo Bills were invested in blocking FB Jerome Felton, and the Bills were offensive opposites of the Redskins as they had a quality running game and not so much a great passing threat.
If McVay utilizes & combines the best aspects of both these two teams where our finest offensive coaches served in 2016, we might just have the best of both worlds. Whether Rogers proves to be the equivalent to Juszczyk, time will tell, but he has the assets and background to suggest he may be the next best thing. Rogers best early qualities may show up in pass protection, but he appears to be a threat wherever he plays. It's early, but it looks to me the better aspects of how both Washington and the Bills moved the ball, whether thru the air or on the ground are apt to be adopted by McVay & Kromer. jmo

Last edited:

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I had mocked Juszczyk to the Rams as a free agent prior to the draft, and when I saw what S.F. paid for him I nearly went cardiac.

In answer to your question about whether Washington employed a FB in 2016, I couldn't find any evidence that they had, or even that they used a TE much as a blocking FB. Being a pass first team without much of a running game, it may not of made much sense for them at the time. On the other hand, Coach Kromer and the Buffalo Bills were invested in blocking FB Jerome Felton, and the Bills were offensive opposites of the Redskins as they had a quality running game and not so much a great passing threat.
If McVay utilizes & combines the best aspects of both these two teams where our finest offensive coaches served in 2016, we might just have the best of both worlds. Whether Rogers proves to be the equivalent to Juszczyk, time will tell, but he has the assets and background to suggest he may be the next best thing. Rogers best early qualities may show up in pass protection, but he appears to be a threat wherever he plays. It's early, but it looks to me the better aspects of how both Washington and the Bills moved the ball, whether thru the air or on the ground are apt to be adopted by McVay & Kromer. jmo

Yeah, if we get the best from Kromer's run game and McVay's passing game...hawt damn, this offense will be dangerous AF...

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I think that anybody that was not a fan of the fullback or this pick will be changing their mind before the end of the year.

Personally, I love nothing more then watching a fullback nail a linebacker after second level and clear the way for a running back.

That's real football!

Memphis Ram

Legend
I've wanted the Rams to incorporate the FB position for years now. But, I wish they had someone bigger and faster like Juszczyk.

I think that anybody that was not a fan of the fullback or this pick will be changing their mind before the end of the year.

Personally, I love nothing more then watching a fullback nail a linebacker after second level and clear the way for a running back.

That's real football!

I couldn't agree more. I just question if that's Roger's game. Pass blocking? Sure. Lead blocking in the running game? I really have my doubts.

EDIT: Upon further review, perhaps he can be effective on cut blocks to the edges and stuff. But, I'm still not convinced he'd have much of a chance nailing LBs straight ahead from the I formation.

Last edited:

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Pass blocking? Sure. Lead blocking in the running game? I really have my doubts.

He may not have Kyle Juszczyk's speed, but that lower center of gravity may be an asset once he adds another 5-10 lbs. of muscle to his already fire hydrant physique. Not as much of him may make it harder to grasp and bring down than the the 6'1" Juszczyk. At least that's what i'm hoping. jmo.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You laugh but Leonard played 8 seasons in the league.

I'm not laughing at him, I'm laughing at the pick. He was a career back up rb. You don't waste a 2nd round pick on a back up rb. The guy that flipped out knew that, that's why he flipped out so hard. I had no idea until i saw him in pads on game day.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I'm not laughing at him, I'm laughing at the pick. He was a career back up rb. You don't waste a 2nd round pick on a back up rb. The guy that flipped out knew that, that's why he flipped out so hard. I had no idea until i saw him in pads on game day.

I can think of worse picks than a second-rounder on a career backup.

I know a team that spent a second-rounder on a running back that never started AND a 33rd pick in the draft who wasted a roster spot in the same draft!

Then they decided to double down on dumbness and used the number two pick in the entire draft on a inexperienced player who most people knew was a huge project.

I know it sounds crazy but it's true! :D

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
I know a team that spent a second-rounder on a running back that never started AND a 33rd pick in the draft who wasted a roster spot in the same draft!

Then they decided to double down on dumbness and used the number two pick in the entire draft on a inexperienced player who most people knew was a huge project.

I know it sounds crazy but it's true! :D
987ff87b4625ab141301c43227b80a7e.gif

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Didn't Fisher lose track of the challenge flag twice last year?

I hope McVay realizes that the challenge flag is important and keeps track of it.

You know ..... at least on game day anyway.