Sam Or Cutler?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Sam or Cutler?

• Sam

Votes: 57 93.4%
  • Cutler

Votes: 4 6.6%

• Total voters

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Bottom line is it doesn't matter what Jay Cutler does. What matters is what Sam Bradford does, Sam is being paid a reasonable amount for a top 10 QB who starts 16 games per season. So far he's never put the two together, I'm opposed to drafting a QB this year, but if next year he can't combine the two then I'm looking at drafting a QB in the first round.

I'm right there with ya. I had been saying that this year was the year he had to put it together and he looked like he might be but then got hurt. Next year is the third year in the system and he has guys who can play. Hell they made Clemens look pretty good at times so Bradford should look good next year.

I'm willing to give him that and I hope he picks up his game. If he does I'll pull for him like I always have, if not it'll be time to move in IMO.

Alan

Legend
I'm an SB supporter but I'm with you guys when it comes to finally producing or getting replaced. I have to say that he looked darn good before his injury and that was despite the, IMO, crappy play calling. If he doesn't get injured I think we'll be happy.

I'm right there with ya. I had been saying that this year was the year he had to put it together and he looked like he might be but then got hurt. Next year is the third year in the system and he has guys who can play. Hell they made Clemens look pretty good at times so Bradford should look good next year.

I'm willing to give him that and I hope he picks up his game. If he does I'll pull for him like I always have, if not it'll be time to move in IMO.

I'd be happy if he could put together the season he was before he got injured, top 10 with a group that lead the league in drops, top 5 in games with Zac starting, i'd take that over 16 games. It's just the over 16 games part now.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
[profootballtalk.nbcsports.com]

Cutler’s deal is three years, $54 million, with year-to-year option thereafter

Posted by Mike Florio on January 2, 2014, 10:14 PM EST

The first leaked details of the Jay Cutler contract put the average value for the first three years at $18 million, with $54 million guaranteed.

The details were accurate. Per a source with knowledge of the deal, Cutler will make $54 million over the next three years, with a rolling guarantee that starts at $17.5 million upon signing, increases to $38 million on March 14, 2014, moves to $48 million in March 2015, and caps out at $54 million in March 2016.

The deal contains no signing bonus, creating a pay-as-you-go series of cap charges for the Bears, based only on his base salaries.

In 2014, Cutler will earn a base salary of $22.5 million. In 2015, the base salary is $15.5 million. In 2016, it increases to $16 million.

After 2016, the deal becomes a year-to-year, no-cap-hit proposition, with salaries of $12.5 million in 2017, $13.5 million in 2018, $17.5 million in 2019, and $19.2 million in 2020. In each of those four seasons, Cutler earns $156,250 for each game he appears on the active roster, for a maximum additional earnings of $2.5 million per year and $10 million over four.

Thus, he’ll get the full $126.7 million only if he’s on the active roster for every game from 2017 through 2020.

The contract also has an annual de-escalator of $500,000 based on participating in the offseason workout program. If he fails to show up, the base salary reduces accordingly.

It’s a real three-year, $54 million contract, with a team-held option at lower rates for each of the next four years.

Under three years of the franchise tag, Cutler would have earned more than $60 million. He therefore reduced by more than 10 percent his total haul in exchange for shedding the injury risk.

Cutler also has shifted most of the risk of poor performance, with the Bears most likely to pay him $48 million over two years.

Is it the best possible deal Cutler could have done? No. But it’s a very good deal under the circumstances, it keeps him in Chicago for the next three years at $18 million annually, and it gives the Bears the annual right thereafter to decide whether to keep him or to walk away.

That's a lot of money, but it looks like a fair deal for the Bears by protecting them long term.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Back to the real debate; Cutler vs Bradford

I find it odd that contract dollars are part of the debate. That has nothing to do with play.

If you judge by the performance on the field; I tend to agree with jrry's argument. In recent years the performance has been similar (despite a talent difference) therefore I see significantly more upside with Sam going forward.

RFIP

As a point of refernce, this poll is being run on another board simultaniously.

Currently here is stands 43 to 2 Sam.

And there?

25/18 Sam.

It shows you the type of trolls and haters allowed to infest what was once a very good board.

Its ok to voice your opinion either way but when one "croonie" chimes in and you can close your eyes and see the next of his posse coming and spewing venom....it erodes and divides a board.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron

And there?

25/18 Sam.

It shows you the type of trolls and haters allowed to infest what was once a very good board.

Its ok to voice your opinion either way but when one "croonie" chimes in and you can close your eyes and see the next of his posse coming and spewing venom....it erodes and divides a board.

damn, 25/18? Are you sure it wasn't a Bears forum? :heh:

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim

And there?

25/18 Sam.

See...bunch of damn hooligans over there. :rofl:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I've always been a Jay Cutler fan. Wanted the Rams to draft him in 06 instead of trading our pick away to Denver so we could drop down and take Shorty McMidgetcorner. But there's no way, from an arm-talent standpoint, that Cutler is better than Bradford. Denver and Chicago have had better teams, and Cutler takes more risks (which sometimes translates to more rewards), but if you give them both a decent pocket, Bradford destroys Cutler.

And it's not even close, IMO.

Mister Sin

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Sam is our guy, plain and simple. And a true fan, should see his weaknesses but have faith that his ability will shine. So until 8 is no longer out there, he is my guy. In Sam I trust.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
damn, 25/18? Are you sure it wasn't a Bears forum? :heh:

Are you sure that's not the number of interceptions that Cutler will throw in each of the next two seasons? :stirthepot:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
To me; the only valid question is Sam's ability to remain healthy.

On the field, I've seen enough to know we can win with him. Sounds like Fisher agrees.

Mister Sin

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
To me; the only valid question is Sam's ability to remain healthy.

On the field, I've seen enough to know we can win with him. Sounds like Fisher agrees.
I think Sams injuries are freak incidents. That dude, if nothing else, is tough as nails.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I think Sams injuries are freak incidents. That dude, if nothing else, is tough as nails.

I agree, he is a tough SOB. I've seen him get up from some nasty hits. But, he's got to play 16. Freak injuries or not.

iced

I agree, he is a tough SOB. I've seen him get up from some nasty hits. But, he's got to play 16. Freak injuries or not.

I think this season was weird, and the NFL needs to take a long look at the new CBA agreement's practices and such..

the amount of injuries, especially ACL tears, was unreal... I thought I remember seeing like 5 or 6 acl tears before week 1 on the regular season

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Are you sure that's not the number of interceptions that Cutler will throw in each of the next two seasons? :stirthepot:

Knowing Cutler, it's actually quite possible. His interceptions per season have gone: 5, 14, 18, 26, 16, 7, 14,12. He has lowered his interception the last few seasons, but missing a lot of games helped....Still not as bad as Eli.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Bradford for me. All the hoopla of this past season being the "acid test" on Sam remaining a Ram is not correct. 2014 is indeed that and I think the question will be answered next season. So, no, the Rams will pass on a QB in the 1st or 2nd round this draft and hand the reins back to SB in 2014. Now if things go south for SB in 2014, look for the Rams to go after someone like Marcus Mariota in the 2015 draft. But for now, "worry never helps tomorrow, it only ruins today".

classicpony

Starter
Name
Jim
I will have SAM on my team any day! Over paid.... YES but that can be cured real soon after the draft.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm sure having a hard time understanding how you value statistics. You're valuing a yardage total from 5 years ago and discounting passer rating, completion percentage and yards per attempt from the last two years? I don't get it at all.

You're basically looking at the exact opposite of what you should be looking at. Jrry32's posted some very pertinent numbers and I agree with Blackbart that the personnel each has had to work with as paramount in any comparison.

Now, I will say that I think Trestman's system coupled with Jeffrey's emergence will certainly benefit Cutler in the coming years and his improvement this year may be what they're basing this new contract on. His 63% completion and 5.4% TD% were both strong indicators that Cutler can potentially become the QB that everyone thought his physical abilities would allow. His interception rate is still far too high but I presume that McCown's stellar play has motivated Cutler in addition to whatever focus the coaches might be giving him.

But I think Bradford's in for big things too. His 5.3% TD rate was borderline elite and his hypothetical 6.4% or higher considering the 2+ TD's that didn't count but that he actually made the play on coupled with his career best 1.5% INT rate all add up to 2014 being a big statistical year for Bradford. Stacy, Austin and Bailey will pay huge dividends and Bradford, IMO, will continue with the type of play that he showed those last 3 games. So, with lesser weapons(no one's going to argue that Marshall/Jeffrey/Forte isn't as good as the Rams have, right?) Bradford's been putting up TD's at an equitable rate to Cutler and throwing a lot fewer interceptions. That makes a strong case for Bradford doing something better than Cutler.

discounting? no...just saying per game stats like that have are easier to achieve when you only play 6.5 games...whats to say sam wouldn't have went into a funk and thrown more ints than tds the remaining games this year and severely dropped the aforementioned ratings..

in addition the ydg total i was quoting was simply to show that cutler has performed as an upper echelons qb in the NFL and sam bradford has not..i have responded to many different arguments thus you may be taking certain points out of context but if you take the time to read my overall point throughout it is that cutler has outplayed bradford point blank...there is nothing but the comparison of injury shortened seasons that happen to be somewhat close yet still favor cutler to make a case for sammy b...this is not even an argument anymore..if you'd like to present a case for bradford instead of what you hope I'm all ears...such as sam is better than cutler at so and so and heres the proof...otherwise you're being unfair