Sam expected to re-sign with Eagles

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ramer

Been a Ram fan too long to quit now
http://nfltraderumors.co/143043-2/

Jason Cole of B/R has spoken to multi NFL teams who expect free agent QB Sam Bradford to re-sign with the Eagles this offseason. However, Bradford will not receive the Eagles’ franchise tag.

Cole mentions that Bradford had a strong finish to his 2015 season, but it’s still unlikely that he’ll receive a massive contract in line with the recent quarterbacks deals. Instead, Cole believes Bradford may have to sign a one-year, “prove-it deal” in 2016 and test the open market again in 2017.

Eagles executive Howie Roseman recently said on a recent podcast with Dave Spadaro that they want to have Bradford back next year if it “makes sense on both sides.

“We’ve all been clear that we like Sam, and we’d like to have him back. It goes then between all of us and whether we can figure something out that makes sense on both sides,” said Roseman, via PhillyMag.com. “Sometimes we get into a situation where we sit here and it will make sense from the team’s perspective but when you’re talking about a negotiation, it’s also got to work for the other side and the player, and we understand that. But hopefully this will all work out and we’ll look at that depth chart when we line up here in July and be really excited about the position.

Bradford, 28, played out the final year of his six-year, $78 million contract that included $50 million guaranteed.

The free agent market for quarterbacks isn’t very deep with Bradford, Kirk Cousins, and Ryan Fitzpatrick being the most notable players, so it will be interesting to see where he ends up and the kind of contract he signs.

In 2015, Bradford threw for 3,725 yards while completing 66 percent of his passes to go along with 19 touchdown passes and 14 interceptions. Pro Football Focus has him rated as the No. 12 quarterback out of 37 qualifying players.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Interesting. But 12th in terms of what? QB Rating? Their own metric?
Man, who knows anymore. From my perspective, he passed the eye test last year. I caught 4 of their games.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Man, who knows anymore. From my perspective, he passed the eye test last year. I caught 4 of their games.
He looked alright to me too, but man did they throw a lot of underneath stuff.

Ram65

Legend
I don't understand why he would sign a one year prove it deal. Sam should become a free agent first to test the market.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
Instead, Cole believes Bradford may have to sign a one-year, “prove-it deal” in 2016 and test the open market again in 2017.

If Sam is a FA how does he think that Sam has to sign a one year deal? He could go anywhere!

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Roman Gabriel departs Rams in 1973 to start long time for the Eagles.

Ron Jaworski departs Rams in 1977 to start longtime for the Eagles.

Sam Bradford departs Rams 2015 to start ????/longtime for the Eagles.
:thinking:

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
They might well keep him,but I would bet my wife's life that it won' be for the ridiculous $ 25M figure that I heard somewhere...Never did know If that number was meant to be serious...

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Good I hope he does resign because that ensure the Eagles don't go QB in round one as they draft before the Rams.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
Good I hope he does resign because that ensure the Eagles don't go QB in round one as they draft before the Rams.

This. If Bradford is the #1 in Philly and Kaep in San Fran, things look at lot better for the Rams this draft at QB without having to give up major assets.

Teams can always trade up. Teams can also always draft a QB high to groom even with a starter in place if they feel there's a solid prospect available. But Bradford and Kaepernick going into the year as planed starters helps a lot. Fingers crossed.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Roman Gabriel departs Rams in 1973 to start long time for the Eagles.

Ron Jaworski departs Rams in 1977 to start longtime for the Eagles.

Sam Bradford departs Rams 2015 to start ????/longtime for the Eagles.
:thinking:
You forgot to put Norm Van Brocklin in your list of QB's that went from the Rams to Philly!!:D

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

Maybe. Depends on contract length though, so if it is a short prove-it type deal the Eagles will have a new regime that is still thinkin QB.

fearsomefour

Legend
He looked alright to me too, but man did they throw a lot of underneath stuff.
That is a big part of his offense. Part of the reason he will be a good fit for Kaperdoodle. There are plenty of throws that are "scheme" throws, predetermined throws. Guys clear an area and there is a short pass underneath it....no reading required. This is partly what helped cover for Foles shortcomings.
As teams have started to figure out his O you have seen fewer of these go for anything but short gains....teams know they are coming, read it and make tackles on the short stuff.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Seems to me that if Philly does not tag Sam he will fully experience FA. I think we can assume that. I also think we can assume the only interest the Rams will have is a 2-3 year deal due to the fact they cannot trust Sam to be healthy and would only be seeking a bridge at QB for the rookie they still have to draft.

The question really is whether any team will throw a longer term deal at Sam. I have to assume that will happen, at least that it is likely. Let's say 75% chance since that seems about right. So in the 25% chance range where Sam does not get the bigger length contract (4-6 years) he will be looking for, the Rams might be a surprise team in the running for his services.

It's a major longshot, but what I'm saying is the more I think about it the more I would not rule it out. There is a relationship there with Fish, who was good to him, probably too good to him in his refusal to bring in competition. There is the allure of LA. There is a rebuilt OL that only gave up 28 sacks last year. There is the best young RB in the league taking handoffs from him. There will be more talent at wideout, finally.

Disclaimer here is that I would not do it and think that ship has sailed. But looking at it objectively I do think it could happen and a QB room of Bradford>Keenum>Rookie would be decent for a year or so until the rook is ready.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hope Niners keep Kaepernick and the Eagles keep Bradford. That would open up Lynch falling to us at least.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Seems to me that if Philly does not tag Sam he will fully experience FA. I think we can assume that. I also think we can assume the only interest the Rams will have is a 2-3 year deal due to the fact they cannot trust Sam to be healthy and would only be seeking a bridge at QB for the rookie they still have to draft.

The question really is whether any team will throw a longer term deal at Sam. I have to assume that will happen, at least that it is likely. Let's say 75% chance since that seems about right. So in the 25% chance range where Sam does not get the bigger length contract (4-6 years) he will be looking for, the Rams might be a surprise team in the running for his services.

It's a major longshot, but what I'm saying is the more I think about it the more I would not rule it out. There is a relationship there with Fish, who was good to him, probably too good to him in his refusal to bring in competition. There is the allure of LA. There is a rebuilt OL that only gave up 28 sacks last year. There is the best young RB in the league taking handoffs from him. There will be more talent at wideout, finally.

Disclaimer here is that I would not do it and think that ship has sailed. But looking at it objectively I do think it could happen and a QB room of Bradford>Keenum>Rookie would be decent for a year or so until the rook is ready.

How can any if us look at the Bradford issue objectively? He broke our hearts year after year. Our relationship with him is disfunctional at best. From a PR perspective it is not a good move.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
How can any if us look at the Bradford issue objectively? He broke our hearts year after year. Our relationship with him is disfunctional at best. From a PR perspective it is not a good move.

Yeah it would be a desperation move on Fish's part and it's not something I want to see. But as I kick it around I can't rule it out because Fish is going to want to save his job and sadly Bradford would be the best option on the market as long as you don't cave and give him big money or years.