Sam Bradford on Scrutiny “I know what I’m doing. Just be patient"

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
You can think he's the guy, or you can think he's not the guy, but you cannot not like him.

Shurmer, (aka Murmer, where is he now btw?) flippin' ruined him, or at least tried to, and while Schotty is certainly no Martz, I think Fish knows what he's got, and and will gently remind BS to (Sam Kinison voice) LET HIM THROW THE F*****G BALL!

So will Britt.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
And one more thing...
It may be a bit of a stretch to use the words "poor" and "Bradford" in the same sentence, but while we all know #1 picks don't go to good teams, Sam went to the team with the worst 5 year record in the history of the NFL, AND was fortunate enough (unfortunately) to be the last recipient of the insanity that was the rookie contract situation at the time.

And yes, he does seem to have a bit more attitude this year. We'll see...actually, we will, guaranteed. :later:

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
Major man crush here! I know this guy is going to do big things. He has all the talent, he seems to have gotten stronger in the off season, finally has some pieces around him to help make things happen and, as others have mentioned, seems to have really grown in confidence in the last year. How anyone can not like this guy is beyond me.

AZRamsFan93

Major man crush here! I know this guy is going to do big things. He has all the talent, he seems to have gotten stronger in the off season, finally has some pieces around him to help make things happen and, as others have mentioned, seems to have really grown in confidence in the last year. How anyone can not like this guy is beyond me.
It is not a question of like or dislike. He seems like a nice guy, but I don't know him personally, so I have no opinion on whether I like him or not.

In my organization we practice a method during recruiting called behavioral interviewing. The basic premise is to not ask what people know or what they understand, but what have they actually done. Experience is more important than knowledge.

To date, Sam has a career 78 passer rating which includes a 59% completion percentage and a very low yards per attempt. It is demonstrable that he has yet to get it done on the field.

He was playing better last season before the injury, and the talent level on the team has improved, so I understand the optimism. He has a likable persona so fans want him to succeed, me included. He is our QB and if doesn't play well we are in trouble.

I am a realist, however, so I will get on board with the excitement and praise AFTER he has done it consistently on the field - especially in big moments in big games.

I hope this year he delivers on the field.

fearsomefour

Legend
The amount of crow that would have to be eaten over at Rams Talk would endanger the species. It could literally cause the extinction of the bird.
The reality is of course, usually, people don't eat crow. They want credit when correct....I take every opportunity I can to point out how I was posting what a good signing Barksdale was when the Rama brought him in....oops, I did it again.
If Sam has a very good season the talk there will be as follows;
1) it's a nice recovery from his knee injury but not as impressive as AP.
2) It's the NFC West QB. Hand off 30 times and rely on your D
3) the weapons around Bradford finally developed, bailing him out.
4) He is a system QB. Always said when people want to attack a QB and don't have anything else to say.
It is always easier to be negative.
Always easier to say Team Whoever is not winning the Superbowl before the season. Yeah, a much easier call than picking who does. Much of sports is based in the attempt to over come failure. It is much easier to be negative. I will keep my eyes open for the good stuff.

fearsomefour

Legend
It is not a question of like or dislike. He seems like a nice guy, but I don't know him personally, so I have no opinion on whether I like him or not.

In my organization we practice a method during recruiting called behavioral interviewing. The basic premise is to not ask what people know or what they understand, but what have they actually done. Experience is more important than knowledge.

To date, Sam has a career 78 passer rating which includes a 59% completion percentage and a very low yards per attempt. It is demonstrable that he has yet to get it done on the field.

He was playing better last season before the injury, and the talent level on the team has improved, so I understand the optimism. He has a likable persona so fans want him to succeed, me included. He is our QB and if doesn't play well we are in trouble.

I am a realist, however, so I will get on board with the excitement and praise AFTER he has done it consistently on the field - especially in big moments in big games.

So, your organization is full of 60 year old new hires?

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig

I believe this has become the standard in corporate America but, IMO, does not translate well to the football field. As I am sure you are aware, results in this team game are largely dependent upon the team functioning well as a unit more so than as a collection of individuals.

Posting Sam's individual stats, particularly the questionable (again, IMO) yards per attempt does nothing to illustrate the circumstances under which those stats were achieved. Forgive me for not rehashing the mitigating circumstances but it has been done repeatedly, here and elsewhere and I am too busy/lazy to get into all of that once again.

And I am an optimist and, after watching every snap he has taken in the NFL, many plays/games multiple time I have already seen it.
Bank on it!

Last edited:

Av8R

UDFA
It is funny you all have mentioned it in this thread because my father and I were commenting this weekend that Bradford just seems different in a good way this year in interviews. He seems to have a little attitude with him and I like that. Rams Nation is counting on a big year from Bradford.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
With a solid ground attack I think Bradfords YPA should go up with play action being a weapon.
I'm not going to do it right now (because it's a work in progress), but I can show you how Bradford's YPA goes up significantly if there's just one completion per game that was otherwise either dropped or negated by penalty, added to his game totals. And I mean it goes up A LOT.

AZRamsFan93

I'm not going to do it right now (because it's a work in progress), but I can show you how Bradford's YPA goes up significantly if there's just one completion per game that was otherwise either dropped or negated by penalty, added to his game totals. And I mean it goes up A LOT.
While this may be completely true, for it to have any relevance one would need to perform the same analysis for all quarterbacks, otherwise you are comparing apples to oranges.

I am not attacking people who want to have an optimistic view of our QB. It is your right. It is a free country.

I am just saying that I will heap praise on our QB after he delivers on the field. It is my right as well.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
While this may be completely true, for it to have any relevance one would need to perform the same analysis for all quarterbacks, otherwise you are comparing apples to oranges.

I am not attacking people who want to have an optimistic view of our QB. It is your right. It is a free country.

I am just saying that I will heap praise on our QB after he delivers on the field. It is my right as well.
I could do that too, and it would boost every other QB's YPA as well. The point is, it's (the low YPA) out of his control. One more catch per game that went incomplete or dropped, and his YPA isn't a criticism anymore. It's in the 7's. Additionally, that's not heaping praise on the QB. It's just an illustration of how stats are calculated.

AZRamsFan93

So, your organization is full of 60 year old new hires?
I realize that this is an attempt at humor.

In fact, my organization is full of "A" players that can be counted upon to deliver in tough situations. Now hiring is a hit and miss game, and there will be a distribution of performance regardless of the process.

My whole point here was that I will recognize excellent performance because I have actually seen it, not because I know in my heart that it is coming soon.

All of the Missouri fans should understand. It is the "show me" state, right?

AZRamsFan93

I could do that too, and it would boost every other QB's YPA as well. The point is, it's (the low YPA) out of his control. One more catch per game that went incomplete or dropped, and his YPA isn't a criticism anymore. It's in the 7's. Additionally, that's not heaping praise on the QB. It's just an illustration of how stats are calculated.
So what is the point? Stats are only useful for comparative purposes.

Sam's YPA is still quite low, bottom one fifth of all starters. I think the play action game and improved receiving corps this year could help. I hope it does.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
So what is the point? Stats are only useful for comparative purposes.

Sam's YPA is still quite low, bottom one fifth of all starters. I think the play action game and improved receiving corps this year could help. I hope it does.
I already told you the point. To illustrate how stats are calculated and how they can be adversely affected by things outside of the respective player's control. Same thing with Tavon. Don't you think he would like to have that TD back that was negated by Jake Long? Or the return TD negated by an illegal block? I think you're viewing this as an irrational defense of Bradford, but I'm not trying to insult your intelligence here. It's just a discussion.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
I already told you the point. To illustrate how stats are calculated and how they can be adversely affected by things outside of the respective player's control. Same thing with Tavon. Don't you think he would like to have that TD back that was negated by Jake Long? Or the return TD negated by an illegal block? I think you're viewing this as an irrational defense of Bradford, but I'm not trying to insult your intelligence here. It's just a discussion.
I guess what you're saying is that it's a team game, huh? (y)