Said no Rams fan, ever

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Britt and Austin had their moments. Both had lengthy NFL careers with fair production. We are obviously much better off now, but those guys were hardly scrubs. Quick was a journeyman JAG.
I don't disagree with any of that. However, I think there's so much more than talent and, even, production.

There's an intangible that goes into winning-football.

In 2016, Fisher inserted Goff as the starter for Week 10. The Team would lose its final seven games, and Fisher was fired before the end of the season. There was a story printed and reported a number of times that the rookie-QB suggested an off-day-work-out with the receivers and tight ends. It's common for younger QBs who may not have gotten many practice reps with the starters to organize such work-outs to improve timing and develop chemistry.

The Rams' receivers said 'No'. The Fuckers said 'No'.

The veterans of that group were Britt, Quick, Kendricks, Austin and Harkey. Higbee and Cooper were rookies. I don't know the specifics of when, who and how but that was just awful in my opinion ... and Telling. I was thrilled when McVay and Snead dumped (or allowed to leave) all those guys in 2017, with the exception of the rookies and Austin who carried a big-contract.

In came Robert Woods and Cooper Kupp among others. In my opinion, that "Intangible" is a key to success. Yesterday, on the Allen Robinson thread, I suggested Rams' fans watch the press conference Robinson gave two days ago; and Merlin was good enough to link it. Robinson is very talented and has been productive but he also appears to have that intangible quality.

fearsomefour

Legend
R.daaa4c57227c99ae5bf9b40e0071d795
OH heck....we'll get that fixed....

AZRams

What, we're all thinking it...
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Wasn't there another guy in that group named Brandon Gibson? He must have been really bad to not make the list.

Then you have Danny Amendola who actually dared to be a good receiver in Fisher's "No good receivers allowed" offense. So they let him sign elsewhere for like 5 million a year. Fisher couldn't stand having a guy proving that passing the ball routinely was a good strategy.
Loved Amendola.

Thought he went to NE for something more like $11-$13 million?

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I hated when we let Larry Marmie go.
My all-time-favorite Mike Martz quote.

The Rams' Defense under Marmie was really struggling, and Martz was asked about his defensive coordinator. His response was ... "Oh Larry Marmie. Everyone knows, he's just the best."

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
I don't disagree with any of that. However, I think there's so much more than talent and, even, production.

There's an intangible that goes into winning-football.

In 2016, Fisher inserted Goff as the starter for Week 10. The Team would lose its final seven games, and Fisher was fired before the end of the season. There was a story printed and reported a number of times that the rookie-QB suggested an off-day-work-out with the receivers and tight ends. It's common for younger QBs who may not have gotten many practice reps with the starters to organize such work-outs to improve timing and develop chemistry.

The Rams' receivers said 'No'. The Fuckers said 'No'.

The veterans of that group were Britt, Quick, Kendricks, Austin and Harkey. Higbee and Cooper were rookies. I don't know the specifics of when, who and how but that was just awful in my opinion ... and Telling. I was thrilled when McVay and Snead dumped (or allowed to leave) all those guys in 2017, with the exception of the rookies and Austin who carried a big-contract.

In came Robert Woods and Cooper Kupp among others. In my opinion, that "Intangible" is a key to success. Yesterday, on the Allen Robinson thread, I suggested Rams' fans watch the press conference Robinson gave two days ago; and Merlin was good enough to link it. Robinson is very talented and has been productive but he also appears to have that intangible quality.
I agree. Britt in particular was known as a "Fisher guy", who really only wanted to play under Fisher. Was it because Fisher was a "players' coach" that let them get away with that kind of stuff? Who knows. But it's possible. We definitely benefit from the culture change McVay brought in with WRs like Kupp and Woods.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Also said by no Rams fan ever:

"Ken Norton Jr comes up with great nicknames!"

"The thing I respect most about the Patriots organization is their integrity."

Zodi

Hall of Fame
My all-time-favorite Mike Martz quote.

The Rams' Defense under Marmie was really struggling, and Martz was asked about his defensive coordinator. His response was ... "Oh Larry Marmie. Everyone knows, he's just the best."

"Shoot, we'll fix that."

PARAM

Hall of Fame
I miss picking in the top 5 every April. Damn McVay!!!! There was always the chance we'd get somebody who would turn us around. Tye Hill. Adam Carricker, etc.

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
"Beating the Raiders 52-0 was overkill. I would have been just as happy beating them 3-0"

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't understand why McVay couldn't use Tavon Austin then drafted Tutu Atwell. I'm not questioning the decision since McVay is the man, but aren't they pretty similar?

mcvay didn't trust tavon to catch the ball, i think. he liked him on jet sweeps but tavon kept running out of bounds instead of cutting it upfield and that was it for mcvay.

RamUK

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No matter how poorly we were playing the atmosphere at the Edward Jones Dome was always something special.

Jeff Fisher was not given enough time to get the job done.

The new logo is way better than that angry looking Ram we used to have.

Lawrence Phillips was a quality human being.

Aaron Donald was quite a good pick, but I'd have been royally fucked off if we'd taken him earlier and missed out on Greg Robinson.

I think Super Bowl 36 was tough but fair.

Skip Bayless, love that guy.

I hated seeing Jimmy G look so sad.

AZRams

What, we're all thinking it...
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
mcvay didn't trust tavon to catch the ball, i think. he liked him on jet sweeps but tavon kept running out of bounds instead of cutting it upfield and that was it for mcvay.

Honestly, watching Tavon try to be an every-down receiver in '16--yes, I get it...rookie QB, jr. high offense--he just didn't appear to be a fundamentally good NFL receiver.

Didn't appear to run routes well, couldn't turn his speed into separation and didn't appear open a lot.

Those first few years I wondered if it was him or was it the OC who couldn't figure out how to utilize him. For my money, turned out to be Tavon.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Love the way that gold in the niners’ uniform sparkles.

Tano

Legend
I love Tom Br...........................................................argh I can't even say it in jest - just no way