Saffold ignoring Rams' calls...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football/professional/rams-report/fisher-no-contact-with-saffold-since-long-signing/article_fc843c69-c5c0-5488-b8c3-a5a55eb797e2.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football ... 797e2.html</a>

Fisher: No contact with Saffold since Long signing

Rams coach Jeff Fisher remains confident that Rodger Saffold’s dissatisfaction with a move to right tackle will be resolved.

“Things are gonna work out,” Fisher said. “We’re confident they’ll get resolved.”

At the same time, Fisher pointed out that no one in the organization has been able to reach Saffold since the team’s new left tackle, Jake Long, agreed to terms on his four-year, $34 million contract nearly two weeks ago.

“We’ve been trying to reach Rodger, and he’s not returning calls right now,” Fisher said. “But we’ll get things settled, and Rodger’s a big part of our future and a big part of our plans on offense.”

One of Saffold’s agents, Alan Herman, said Saffold would be unhappy with a switch to right tackle when it became known that Long was making a free-agent visit to St. Louis on March 13.

But Herman stopped short of requesting a trade if Long was signed, and Saffold has been quiet on the subject. Similarly, Herman has not commented since then.

When asked Thursday if Saffold had requested a trade, Fisher replied, “No. It’s just been quiet. And we’re trying to reach Rodger just like we’re trying to reach all of our other players. We stay in touch with our players. Maybe he’s traveling and is on his way back.”

A second-round draft pick in 2010, Saffold’s contract expires after the 2013 season.

At the moment, the Rams’ starting offensive line features Long at left tackle, Scott Wells at center, Harvey Dahl at right guard, and Saffold at right tackle. The only position up for grabs is left guard, where Shelley Smith and Rokevious Watkins currently are the leading candidates to start.

Otherwise it’s a veteran line that includes two past Pro Bowlers in Long and Wells.

Interestingly, general manager Les Snead said the addition of Long wouldn’t necessarily prevent the Rams from taking an offensive tackle high in the draft.

“If you liked (a certain) tackle before we signed Jake, and that’s one of the better players on the board, you probably ask yourself, ‘Hey, can he play guard?’ ” Snead said. “And then eventually you move (him) to tackle like a lot of guys have done.”

One potential draft pick that comes to mind in such a role: Alabama’s D.J. Fluker.

The signing of Long, Snead continued, “may lessen the — I call it urgency, or desperation — but it wouldn’t preclude you from taking a tackle.”

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
"Maybe he’s traveling and is on his way back.”

Could be....

bluecoconuts

Legend
Hopefully that's the case. I don't expect him to be jumping from joy, but you have to be adult about it. That's how championship teams are made. Los Angeles had Stoll as their second line center, and then traded for Mike Richards and asked Stoll to be the third line center... A demotion out of the top six, playing time reduced etc... He said "I'll play any position they ask me to as long as we can win" (and they played him at wing a few times as well) that's the type of attitude you need from guys to win a championship.

If Saffold is traveling or sulking or whatever, as long as he comes into camp with the right attitude. If not, my opinion has already been stated on the matter. I'm hoping that he does the smart thing here though.

fastcat

Pro Bowler
Hopefully he's "traveling". But i highly doubt he doesnt have phone access in 2 weeks. Anyway, i bet if we had a stong leader on our team, he could at the vgery least get Saffold to return a phone call. Are we missing the presence of SJ already?

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
He could be with Kendricks in deepest darkest Bali meditating I guess.....

Just seems strange for the FO to say that he's not returning their calls.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
There's a wide variety of reasons why Saffold might not be returning calls. I'm not going to jump to conclusions when some article on a trash newspaper and the unreliable word of a sports agent (who is always looking for the most money to make, regardless of whether or not they hurt their client) are the only bits of "selfishness" I've seen from him out of an entire career (and that includes college as well) of a team-first and selfless attitude.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I mean, he could be out of town and left his iphone charger at home accidentally. We all do it!

:cool:

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
CGI_Ram said:
I mean, he could be out of town and left his iphone charger at home accidentally. We all do it!

:cool:

Lol - too true!

ljramsfan

Pro Bowler
Name
LJ
This does not look good for Rodger. Still have a feeling that a trade could be in the works

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Dumbass agent.

I honestly don't think Rodger fits as a RT. Seems more like a pass blocker than a run blocker, which could be good with Chris Givens and Jared Cook running deep routes.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I would not buy the any of the excuses if I were Fisher. Sorry I am not there.

Snead & Fisher must have been planning for some time this situation with Jake Long & Rodger Saffold. What would make them go out and hunt down a UFA high cost $$$ injury history OLT when you have a young very good OLT already under contract & is healthy & not rehabbing for the first time since he came here in 2010? We all know that the last half of the season Saffold was playing better than Jake Long. What was it?

Earlier in the year when rumors came out that the Rams were toying with Saffold on the move to OLG...but Fisher came out quickly and said that Saffold was not moving to OLG and was his OLT....what happened?

Then UFA'cy came in with a blast the second week of March & the Rams are out court-en a new OLT & @ the same time Ram fix their problem @ ORT by replacing Richardson with Saffold (an alleged upgrade) & the Rams replace the 4 million cap hit Swing OT Wayne Hunter in one single move...BRILLIANT! You have to agree that borders on genius. One problem it appears that Saffold may not want to play.

Retaining Saffold IMO is vital and in-twined in the purchase of Jake Long. Saffold is the swing OT in case the Jake Long injuries continue to pile up. With Saffold off the roster the Rams have to have a serious swing OT along with a new ORT. Saffold departure compounds things. Fisher needs Saffold healthy and ready to play either @ ORT or OLG doesn't matter where but Saffold needs to be ready in case Jake Long is out or degrades due to nagging injuries....he has already had 10 surgeries on his body due to football. Rams must have a bonified insurance policy & PLEASE do not tell me its Ty Nsehke & Joe Barksdale. Those two do very little for me to ease my concerns.

Rams are out of cap $$$ & purchasing good UFA vets will cost. So they can not go that way so looks like the draft would be the place to go to get two OT's (a starting ORT and a Swing OT). That is not an easy thing to do & its far from where Snead & Fisher want to be in this draft.

I would prefer to keep Saffold here as a Ram but it will not be @ OLT post. I believe Fisher when he says that Saffold plays a major part in the 2013 Ram plans and in the future. If Saffold is foolish enough to make himself a drama queen over this ...then get what we can in trade and go from there.

Saffold has to know that the pay for very good young vets @ starting OLG's & ORT post do get excellent paydays too. The OLT's of a decade ago have change up. So IF there is a problem & I would say there is...Saffold has some real concerns with his ability to go RIGHT & excel! If its not that then what is it?

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
The Dude said:

Could be....
This is about the media fanning flames. My guess is that there is absolutely nothing to this story. RS is a pro, and will fill whatever role Fish wants.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
interference said:
The Dude said:

Could be....
This is about the media fanning flames. My guess is that there is absolutely nothing to this story. RS is a pro, and will fill whatever role Fish wants.
That's probably closer to the truth than what we're hearing reported. I mean, I can understand if he's a little upset at losing his gig at LT, but he was originally drafted to be the RT anyway.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Hey here's another spin:

Lets say behind closed doors Snead & Fisher want to beef up their line... Go get Jake Long and use Saffold as a trading chip ( most Realistic return is a 2nd pick)... So at 16 take a RT Fluker, 22 take Sylvester Williams DT .. In Rd 2 you have 3 picks so you can take 3 or use 2 of them to move back into Rd 1 depending on how things fall... I prefer to stick w/ 3 -2nd Rders (wr,s,rb)

duckhunter

Starter
PressureD41 said:
Hey here's another spin:

Lets say behind closed doors Snead & Fisher want to beef up their line... Go get Jake Long and use Saffold as a trading chip ( most Realistic return is a 2nd pick)... So at 16 take a RT Fluker, 22 take Sylvester Williams DT .. In Rd 2 you have 3 picks so you can take 3 or use 2 of them to move back into Rd 1 depending on how things fall... I prefer to stick w/ 3 -2nd Rders (wr,s,rb)

I'd be surprised if the Rams have Fluker anywhere near the 1st round. He's a good kid, hard worker, team oriented, decent in the running game but a sieve against speed in the passing game. He gets beat inside and outside, late off the ball, and slow to do anything. He'll get flagged a ton in the NFL for holding. I'm not sure it won't take a long while for him to play guard. He won't be able to process in his mind twists and blitzes right away. It's a dim bulb but a very big one.

Afro Ram

Pro Bowler
Yawn. :yawn:

Wake me up when there is some real news. I'm giving Saffold the benefit of the doubt until proven other wise.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
With Saffold likely to exit via free agency next season; I'd trade him for a 2nd in a heartbeat.

Ram_of_Old

It seems to me I remember Safford commenting that he would ask to be traded if he had to switch to RT..? Does anyone else remember that? I hope this works out, but his silence does not sound good.

A55VA6

Legend
Ram_of_Old said:
It seems to me I remember Safford commenting that he would ask to be traded if he had to switch to RT..? Does anyone else remember that? I hope this works out, but his silence does not sound good.
We don't know if that came directly from Rodger though. It was just something thrown out there by his agent or news reporters or something.