Romo's praise of Goff

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Watching the game yesterday with my wife (she's very football savvy) she commented on how great Goff looked and my reply was, "So does that kid in Philadelphia." In which my wife stated, "Do you remember the girl you dated before me?" And being savvy myself, I quickly replied "No Honey." Then she quipped..."So forget about the QB in Philadelphia."
So next time you and the Mrs are getting intimate, I wouldn't advise saying, Since you brought up my last GF, I was thinking we should try....

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I'm not sure how many of you paid attention to it, but Tony was giving our boy some mad props today. He said Jared has the traits of a great QB and in Tony's opinion has a very high ceiling.

It's one thing for some ESPN analyst who played DB in college to give praise, but an ex pro bowl QB I feel holds much more weight

He was showing how Jared keeps his weight on his back foot which allows him to deliver balls under duress very quickly and without a lot of wasted movement. Also showcased a little swing pass to Tavon with a free runner coming right at his face.

We all know he's going to be a great QB but I thought it was cool hearing another great QB highlight some things that make him a beast.
Give me a break!
Romo's opinion does not mean squat because he was just a UDFA.

Get back to me when a first-round draft pick quarterback gives Goff some props.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Give me a break!

Troy Aikman would like a word with you and so would Terry Bradshaw.

As would hall of farmers Dan Fouts, Kurt Warner and the QB he just played against Drew Brees.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Philly radio is still insane with the Eagles being unbeatable...

This clown, (@AnthonyLGargano ) who hosts a morning show in Philly, talked how he was looking forward to the Rams game, and playing against that "spindly legged QB" Then said he hopes they break his legs. Classy

let him and his show have it people..

@AnthonyLGargano
@975Mornings

Doesn't that idiot have a Santa to knock out with an ice ball?

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Anybody lamenting that we have Goff instead of Wentz?

Aren't you about 10 years too early in your evaluation?

Last edited:

Stl2La

Hall of Fame
Give me a break!

Did you forget the blue font? Bc there is no way you’re being serious is there? Lol

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
The kid shows great poise under pressure, thought so even last season while being battered. Great acquisition & a nice accurate touch, the Rams finally have their man to lead this team forward for years to come, and it couldn't have come at a better time, ... just wait until he grows into his body, he's a fraction today of what he'll become. jmo

Stump23

Rookie
He has an inner competitiveness that gets me pretty excited. Like how we almost beat Seattle last second on those insane couple throws.

But Romo also said how much Goff controls at the line is impressive for a 2nd year QB. He said it's the most he's seen since Peyton's 2nd year. I've thought the same honestly, he's done a ton at the line this year which leads me to believe he's understanding defensive looks on a whole other level now.
True and good points, however, the fact that McVay is calling the audibles is going to catch fire and take away from the awesome growth that Goff has made this year. People ignore that all coaches probably do this is some capacity but since it's the Rams..........no respect. Week to week, win 1 at a time and surprise everybody in the dance.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
True and good points, however, the fact that McVay is calling the audibles is going to catch fire and take away from the awesome growth that Goff has made this year. People ignore that all coaches probably do this is some capacity but since it's the Rams..........no respect. Week to week, win 1 at a time and surprise everybody in the dance.
I don't understand. How is McVay calling the audibles. At 15 seconds, the head set is turned off. He is making adjustments right up to 5 sec on the play clock. Sometimes less.

Scirca

Rookie
I don't understand. How is McVay calling the audibles. At 15 seconds, the head set is turned off. He is making adjustments right up to 5 sec on the play clock. Sometimes less.

Because it fits the Goff is trash narrative, you know how many people smiled when Goff was credited with that interception.. My favorite narrative is the offense starts and ends with Gurley... Fucking idiots @Heath Evans specifically.

Last edited:

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What they're saying is McVay will communicate Down to 15 seconds then Goff calls them out. He sometimes against Minnesota had to audible again as the Vikings were changing their call at 15 seconds because Zimmerman being a smart coach knew what they were doing. Going forward we'll see how it plays out.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Yeah, McVay's calling them. You can hear it in that SoundFX clip. Every time he (Goff) calls out one of those audibles "Elvis, Wilson Hoosier", etc., you can hear the same words in Goff's headset first. There might be a point where Goff has seen enough to make his own pre-snap reads and subsequent audibles, but now it's McVay making those adjustments based on (I guess) the defensive alignments he's seeing.

Starts at 1:13

View: https://twitter.com/NFLFilms/status/931203908344541185?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fftw.usatoday.com%2F2017%2F11%2Fnfl-sean-mcvay-rams-saints-jared-goff-audibles

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
What they're saying is McVay will communicate Down to 15 seconds then Goff calls them out. He sometimes against Minnesota had to audible again as the Vikings were changing their call at 15 seconds because Zimmerman being a smart coach knew what they were doing. Going forward we'll see how it plays out.
Not sure that this is all that great an idea. Standing on the side lines is not as good a vantage point as the QB angle. Also what if he is giving him an audible and in the middle the head set cuts off. Nope, seems like a bad plan. I'm not buying this. Now if your the cheating team from Boston and at home you keep the head set on and read the defensive signals (they didn't have radios in the LB's helmet then) then fed that to cheatin Brady, well that is a good plan. This other has to many variables for it not to confuse Goff more than help.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not sure that this is all that great an idea. Standing on the side lines is not as good a vantage point as the QB angle. Also what if he is giving him an audible and in the middle the head set cuts off. Nope, seems like a bad plan. I'm not buying this. Now if your the cheating team from Boston and at home you keep the head set on and read the defensive signals (they didn't have radios in the LB's helmet then) then fed that to cheatin Brady, well that is a good plan. This other has to many variables for it not to confuse Goff more than help.
It's a great plan imo, he's giving him the audibles, Goff sees the alignment and has the smarts to understand them. It will get to the point, maybe very soon if not then next year, where Jared can do them all himself. This is accelerating his learning while making us a more viable offense.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
Okay I stand corrected, to a point, then he calls out Obama with nothing coming out of his head set. Plus he still is making adjustments after the play clock is past 15 sec, he does it on every play. Also when they huddle up they come out after 15 sec and still he makes adjustments. There is a limit to the help he can get over the head set. So he still calls plays and makes corrections at the line on his own.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
Okay I stand corrected, to a point, then he calls out Obama with nothing coming out of his head set. Plus he still is making adjustments after the play clock is past 15 sec, he does it on every play. Also when they huddle up they come out after 15 sec and still he makes adjustments. There is a limit to the help he can get over the head set. So he still calls plays and makes corrections at the line on his own.
Yeah, no one is taking anything away from Goff, he's doing a great job. It is possible to praise McVay for the job he's doing without "tearing down" Goff.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
If Goff understands the game this well, in his second year.
He's calling plays specifically designed to beat the defensive alignment he is looking at.
Imagine how good he's going to be 2-3-4 years from now when he really starts to master it.

Scary potential really.