Roku NFL draft documentary

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Watched the Roku special.
Rams did try to trade up for Bowers and then Murphy. Verse was the 3rd option.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Psycho_X

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
For the life of me I have no idea what they're saying in that first clip. Can someone please post a transcript.

Snead: "Is Cincy on the clock?"

McVay: "Yes. It's right in front of you." motions to monitor right next to Les, full screen with a countdown over Bengals colors/emblem

*Staff starting to laugh*

McVay noticing: "I wasn't trying to be a dick, but..." motions to screen

Gladstone: "You guys are like brothers"

McVay: "Yes we are"

*Snead looking amused by it all*

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Watched the Roku special.
Rams did try to trade up for Bowers and then Murphy. Verse was the 3rd option.
So was there confirmation that Bowers was the target at 10 or 11?

If so, that seems weird to me. They'd have a glut of talent at TE with 4 potential starters in Bowers, Allen, Parkinson, and Higbee, and Long for depth. (I'm high on Allen, with those Hoover Hands I think he could be a weapon). That's a lot of wasted $ for some guys to sit on the bench. Plus they'd still have the glaring holes at Edge and DT, and without 1st or 2nd round picks to fill them.

Personally I'm glad the draft fell the way it did, but we'll have to see if Verse and Fiske meet expectations. The Rams must've thought Bowers could be an All Pro if they were considering this.

Last edited:

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
The full Roku documentary is on the thread titled "B.Y. on Jared Verse Progress" thread. Poster @rdlkgliders was good enough to attach it to his post. Some fluff but mostly very entertaining and informative.

Plenty of Rams' stuff. Much we knew but some additional insight and clarity. Confirms that the Rams wanted Bowers and were willing to give-up #19, #52 and #99. Jets passed and took Penn State OL Fashanu.

Also confirmed that the other move-up target was indeed Byron Murphy a trade could not be worked-out. Snead was not sure but McVay correctly surmised Murphy would not get past Seattle.

Both Snead and McVay seemed certain that neither Bowers nor Murphy would fall to #19.

Jared Verse was the 3rd player the Rams liked but not in a trade-up scenario. McVay was adamant that if Verse did not make it to #19, the Rams needed to trade-down. Braden Fiske was mentioned but not for #19.
Snead referenced that there were six players the Rams liked, and would be thrilled to get two of them.
Clearly, Verse and Fiske were two of those six players.

The only disappointment for me as a Rams' fan came at the 1:01:10 mark of the documentary.
Tennessee was on the clock at #38, with the Rams prepared to pull-the-trigger for the trade-up to #39.
Fiske had been discussed as the clear target. McVay was nervous with what the Titans would do at #38; and asked one of the high-school-looking-kids in the Rams' Front Office or Scouting Department a question.

McVay says ... "I pray this guy doesn't go right here" then looks at the Kid and asks ... "You don't think this could be him, do you" ... the Idiot Kid pauses before cluelessly responding ... "WHO?" ... an annoyed McVay immediately snaps-back "Fiske" ... as if to add, 'the player we have been talking about you dumb fuck.'

Last edited:

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I would not have felt as good as I did after the draft if this trade was made.

I kind of agree. if McVay had Bowers, how would he use Parkinson?

He used a lot of two-TE sets, with Everett and Higbee but almost none over the past three seasons. Even if he used Parkinson in a two-TE-set, would Davis Allen ever see the field ... not to mention Higbee whenever he returns or Long.

That's a lot of TEs; and a ton of draft capital and salary cap space for a position not featured in the Offense.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don

Agree, I am sure I would have embraced it but in hindsight feels like we did better with the route we took.
Also adds to my suspicion that our TE room may get some sort of addition pre-week 1.

dang

Legend

1-19 Jared Verse, DE
2-39 Braden Fiske, DT
3-83 Blake Corum, RB
3-99 Kameren Kinchens, S

Looks helluva lot more impactful than:

1-10 Bowers, TE
3-83 Blake Corum, RB

Psycho_X

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The full Roku documentary is on the thread titled "B.Y. on Jared Verse Progress" thread. Poster @rdlkgliders was good enough to attach it to his post. Some fluff but mostly very entertaining and informative.
Hmm, I must be blind because I don't see it at all in that thread.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Hmm, I must be blind because I don't see it at all in that thread.
I should have enlarged it and made it bold my bad

LINK HERE: https://therokuchannel.roku.com/watch/39919ed091cbd7e93c32745db6ec94f7
Verse 2.png

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

Yeah I have to agree. I think Bowers is a stud, he is a bigger Kupp basically. So I get it, but would the team be better? Probably not. We're still gonna score points but that defense and particularly the front needed help and this might be one of those situations where things went right for us. Sometimes chance can save you from yourself.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Thing about Bowers was that the Rams didnt have interest in him because they wanted a TE, they saw the talent in him and wanted him. He just happened to be a TE
I think they are positioned to use the TE position as they have in recent seasons, and are well equipped for it. Had they added Bowers, they wouldnt have fit him in to that system, they would have created something totally different
I love the way the draft panned out and am not disappointed one bit. It sure would have been fun had they pulled off a trade for Bowers and used him the way they intended

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Thing about Bowers was that the Rams didnt have interest in him because they wanted a TE, they saw the talent in him and wanted him. He just happened to be a TE
I think they are positioned to use the TE position as they have in recent seasons, and are well equipped for it. Had they added Bowers, they wouldnt have fit him in to that system, they would have created something totally different
I love the way the draft panned out and am not disappointed one bit. It sure would have been fun had they pulled off a trade for Bowers and used him the way they intended

This is the thinking I used to understand and come to terms with the tutu pick.

Unfortunately the plan never eventuated. Until injuries finally forced Mcvay to use him and we found out he wasn't too bad.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame

Unfortunately the plan never eventuated. Until injuries finally forced Mcvay to use him and we found out he wasn't too bad.

Maybe the TuTu pick result was a turning point for McVay and Snead. Since then their draft philosophy seems to have done a 180.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I hear you, however the flip side is that Bowers has all the physical tools, and then some.
Alas, they might have missed on Tutu, Hopkins and Jefferson, they surely made up for it with picks like Kupp and Puka

Memphis Ram

Legend

1-19 Jared Verse, DE
2-39 Braden Fiske, DT
3-83 Blake Corum, RB
3-99 Kameren Kinchens, S

Looks helluva lot more impactful than:

1-10 Bowers, TE
3-83 Blake Corum, RB
I was all aboard the Bowers train, but I would have been sick with that deal.:wow2: