Rob Havenstein was NFL's best run-blocking tackle in 2018

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
https://theramswire.usatoday.com/2019/06/04/rams-rob-havenstein-pff-run-blocking-grade/
Rob Havenstein was NFL's best run-blocking tackle in 2018
By: Cameron DaSilva

Somewhat surprisingly, the Los Angeles Rams gave Rob Havenstein a four-year, $32.5 million extension last August just before the start of the season. He was entering the final year of his rookie deal, but he didn’t look like the third-best right tackle in the NFL, which is exactly what his new contract paid him to be.

After seeing him dominate in 2018, the $32.5 million deal now looks like a bargain. He was outstanding at right tackle last season, particularly in the running game where he was frequently a lead blocker for Todd Gurley.

In fact, there wasn’t a better run-blocking tackle in the league last year than Havenstein. According to Pro Football Focus, Havenstein had a run-blocking success rate of 12.7 percent in 2018, which was the best of any offensive tackle – left or right.

PFF’s highest-graded offensive tackles in run-blocking grade both played for the Rams last season. Havenstein finished first with his position-high 12.73% run-block success percentage, but veteran Andrew Whitworth finished the year as a close second with his 78.4 run-blocking grade and a very low percentage of negatively graded run blocks at 7.68%.

Los Angeles was smart to lock up Havenstein with a four-year, $32.5 million contract extension prior to his 2018 campaign. His $8.125 million average annual salary now ranks outside the top-20 highest-paid offensive tackles in the NFL – an absolute steal given his success in the run game.

Havenstein and Andrew Whitworth were two big reasons the Rams were such a good team on outside zone runs. They cleared out edge defenders and created big holes outside for Gurley, C.J. Anderson and Malcolm Brown, while also doing a good job blocking on frequent jet sweeps.

Whitworth, for his part, ranked fifth in PFF’s run-blocking grade last season. It's no secret Andrew Whitworth is an elite pass blocker, but the veteran is no slouch in the running game either! pic.twitter.com/hU4LgsWQUB

— Pro Football Focus (@PFF) June 4, 2019

Havenstein is locked up through 2023 on a reasonable contract, especially after seeing Trent Brown get $16.5 million per year from the Raiders and Ja’Wuan James earn $12.75 million annually in Denver. His salary of $8.125 million now ranks fifth among all right tackles and considering the increasing value of that position, it’s fair to compare their contracts to those of left tackles, too. Among all tackles, Havenstein ranks 20th in annual salary, which shows just how big of a bargain his contract is.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I always feel ambivalent when reading a story like this...Yes, the Rams got a great deal and Big Rob got screwed...

Yeah for us?

Ram65

Legend
Thought it was a great deal for the Rams at the time. Rob got some security signing early. Rams need to do more of this. JJ and Kupp coming up next year.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
he got screwed?
"Havenstein is locked up through 2023 on a reasonable contract, especially after seeing Trent Brown get $16.5 million per year from the Raiders and Ja’Wuan James earn $12.75 million annually in Denver. His salary of $8.125 million now ranks fifth among all right tackles and considering the increasing value of that position, it’s fair to compare their contracts to those of left tackles, too. Among all tackles, Havenstein ranks 20th in annual salary, which shows just how big of a bargain his contract is..."

Comparatively, his price was half the market just a year later...Now he did get wage security during this lat season so that has worth......I wonder if if Rob is looking at his agent in a certain type of way? lol

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
"Havenstein is locked up through 2023 on a reasonable contract, especially after seeing Trent Brown get $16.5 million per year from the Raiders and Ja’Wuan James earn $12.75 million annually in Denver. His salary of $8.125 million now ranks fifth among all right tackles and considering the increasing value of that position, it’s fair to compare their contracts to those of left tackles, too. Among all tackles, Havenstein ranks 20th in annual salary, which shows just how big of a bargain his contract is..."

Comparatively, his price was half the market just a year later...Now he did get wage security during this lat season so that has worth......I wonder if if Rob is looking at his agent in a certain type of way? lol

Can't predict the future and he signed his contract so don't see how he was screwed. Maybe more of a bad luck type of thing

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Deals that are good for the Rams are good for us. Way it is.

Kevin

Pro Bowler
I always feel ambivalent when reading a story like this...Yes, the Rams got a great deal and Big Rob got screwed...

Yeah for us?
It's the difference between the 2018 market rate and the 2019 market rate for quality starting right tackles. Nobody got screwed.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Doing contracts a year early have risks for both sides. He could have blown out a knee, and the Rams would have been on the hook for a bunch of money. Or he could have his best season as the pay for his position shot up. Unfortunately for him, it was the latter - but he took security. And frankly, unless he is foolish the contract means he can do what he wants when his career is over anyway. Even with taxes, agent fees, living a decent lifestyle now he should have over $10 million invested when this contract ends - and that's being very conservative.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
IIRC, the Rams struggled running to the right in quite a few games. But were very successful running left, maybe it was his backside blocking that opened lanes for Gurley.

MadGoat

Mathematically alive

There are a lot of bad contracts out there. That doesn't mean the Rams would ever pay him that. Even if Havenstein could have made more in free agency, he might be playing right tackle for the Jets instead of for the Rams.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
His salary was fifth among right tackles. Seems fair to me.

oldnotdead

Legend
Havenstein's performance only highlighted the need for improvement at RG. Playing an undersized RG is not optimizing your run attack. If the RG can't drive the 3 technique off the LOS that is a real problem on both inside zone runs and strong side zone runs. This isn't Blythe hate it's simple reality. Blythe is out of position at OG. He's a stop-gap player which is the definition of back up. To his credit he played better than could be expected in relief. It is the only position on the Oline which I am concerned about. At this point I'm very comfortable with Noteboom and Allen. I've seen no reason for concern. But watching Blythe I saw reason for concern with him as a full time starter.

Rob's pre-draft evaluations were spot on. Most had him as a good run blocking RT. He's got good measurables in terms of height, weight, arm length, combined with good feet to get him to the second level. The knock on him coming out of college was his inconsistent pass blocking. That had more to do with poor technique, and as such he has cleaned that up. He's definitely a very good RT.

Good OT's are hard to find, so when you do you pay the man.

jjab360

Legend

Yeah for us?
I wouldn't say screwed. It was a fair market deal at the time and gave Rob the added bonus of job security and guaranteed money coming off of his rookie contract.

Just because another player came along a year later and squeezed as much as he could out of the desperate Raiduhs doesn't mean that Havenstein's situation suddenly becomes an unfair deal.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I wouldn't say screwed. It was a fair market deal at the time and gave Rob the added bonus of job security and guaranteed money coming off of his rookie contract.

Just because another player came along a year later and squeezed as much as he could out of the desperate Raiduhs doesn't mean that Havenstein's situation suddenly becomes an unfair deal.

Yes, I said the benefit was that that heenjoyed having job security from his deal. I think it was more of a case of events screwing Rob than necessarily the Rams doing it to him. It's sort of like my Grandparents in the 70's having a small beach house, just one block from the beach itself at Huntington Beach. My Grandmother was a clean freak, and it bothered her when they rented the place out, it was sort of a relief when Gramps sold it...for $50,000. He chortled about that deal, because he tripled his money at least from when he purchased it. Five years later, the property was sold/valued at close to a million dollars, and he never mentioned it again. Yes, Grandpa agreed to the deal and he thought it was a good one at the time...but if had just waited a couple of more years, he would have been wealthy.

Rob thought he had a good deal at the time, just as my Grandpa did....but how can you not feel screwed after something liked this?