River's 3.0 Mock for 2020

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
BIG CHANGES, ... Snead will be quite busy once again, no way the Rams open Kroenke's new palace looking like they have this season. If we are truly a 9 - 7 or 8 - 8 team, why on earth overpay a bunch of veterans who aren't difference makers ? If we are going to die, i'd rather die young while trying to develop future talent. Matthews was my toughest cut today, I thought we might get another solid year out of him, but he hasn't looked the same since returning from his jaw breaking incident.
One major re-sign, one costly outside free agent signing along with several vets moving on down the road. Three trades for additional draft picks and also to increase overall available CAP.
As you can see, the Rams will be getting much younger, but I believe this remains a play-off caliber roster when healthy. The savings from these cuts not only allows us to sign Scherff & Littleton, but also 2021 future potential free agents Kupp, Ramsey, Everett & JJ3. Both Cooks & Gurley will face 2021 salary restructure, trade or ?
jmo.

Re-Sign :

Cory Littleton
Greg Zuerlein
RFA Donte Deayon, ERFA's John Kelly, John Carraway, Johnnie Mundt, Coleman Shelton, Jake Gervase, and all Practice Squad members.

Free Agent Signing :

Brandon Scherff

Departing Free Agents :

Andrew Whitworth
Donte Fowler
Michael Brockers
Austin Blythe
Mike Thomas
Blake Bortles
Bryce Hager
Marqui Christian
RFA-JoJo Natson
RFA-Morgan Fox

Cuts :

Eric Weddle (4.25mil savings)
Tanzel Smart
Matthews (3.5mil savings)

PUP :

Joe Noteboom

Trades :

Robey-Coleman (4'th rd.) - 4.5mil savings
Rob Havenstein (3'rd rd.) - 1.5mil savings
Troy Hill (6'th rd.) - 3mil savings

2020 NFL Draft * :

1) N/A
2) DE - Carlos Basham, W.F.
3a) OT - Lucas Niang, TCU
3b) DT - Rashard Lawrence, LSU (From Havenstein Trade)
3c) C/OG - Cesar Ruiz, Mi
4a) CB - AJ Terrell, Clem (From Robey-Coleman Trade)
4b) ILB - Shaq Smith, Md.
5) S - Khaleke Hudson, Mi.
6a) WR - KJ Hill, Oh.St.
6b) QB - Brian Lewerke, Mi. St. (From Troy Hill Trade)
7) DE/DT - Robert Windsor, PennSt.

Rams 2020 53 Roster :

OFFENSE (23)

QB :
Goff
Wolford

OL :
Scherff
Niang *
Ruiz *
Edwards
Evans
Brewer
Corbett
Trewyn

RB's :
Gurley
Brown
Henderson

TE's :
Everett
Higbee
Mundt
Blanton

WR's :
Cooks
Woods
Kupp
Reynolds
Webster
KJ Hill*

DEFENCE (27)

DL :
Donald
Basham *
Joseph
Gaines
Lawrence *
Copeland

ILB's :
Cory Littleton
Patrick
Smith *
Kiser
Young

OLB's :
Okoronkwo
Polite
Durham
Ebukam
Carraway
Lawler

CB's :
Ramsey
Long
Williams
Deayon
Terrell *
Alexander

Safeties :
Johnson
Rapp
Gervase
Scott

Special Teams (3) :

Hekker
Zuerlein
McQuaide

Practice Squad :

OL - Demby
RB - Kelly
QB - Brian Lewerke*
C - Shelton
C - B. Allen
ILB - Reeder
ILB - D. Allen
ILB/S - Howard
S - Khaleke Hudson *
DE/DT - Robert Windsor *

Last edited:

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The options are laid out. Let’s see the potential opportunities the Rams have moving forward.

By Sosa Kremenjas@QBsMVP Nov 27, 2019, 11:17am CST

NFL: Baltimore Ravens at Los Angeles Rams
Robert Hanashiro-USA TODAY Sports
After a putrid showing on Monday Night Football, there’s not much left to do but look forward for the Los Angeles Rams. The season isn’t over and the team is still over .500 as they sit at 6-5, but the playoffs are basically out of reach at this point due to a strong NFC West and NFC conference.
Moving forward, the Rams will need to look in the mirror and make adjustments. Expectations entering 2019 were sky high after the team represented the NFC in the Super Bowl just last season. This season needs to be considered a major letdown and disappointment, but not all hope is lost. One thing to note: with all the major extensions and trades performed over the past few seasons by General Manager Les Snead, the Rams will have a severe lack of cap space and less than a full compliment of draft picks in the immediate future and beyond, so creativity will need to be at the forefront when re-stocking the tool shed.
Heading into the 2020 offseason, here is the projected draft pick haul for the Rams:
LA Rams’ 2020 NFL Draft order with comp pick projections
Rd#Rd#Pick
2TBDTBDRams pick
3TBDTBDRams pick
3 (c)TBDTBDRams pick (projected)
4TBDTBDRams pick
6TBDTBDRams pick
7TBDTBDRams pick
As you can see, there isn’t much to work with in the 2020 NFL Draft as of today. Looking further down the line, the Rams won’t have a full draft class until 2022 when they’ll finally have a 1st-round draft pick again.
Here are the players scheduled to be upcoming free agents:
2020 LA Rams Free Agents
PlayerPOSTypeOutcome
Malcolm BrownRBUFARe-signed, 2-yr $3.25m
Blake CountessDBUFAWaived
Jared GoffQBUFAOptioned
Tyler HigbeeTEUFARe-signed, 4 yr $31m
Troy HillCBUFARe-signed, 2-yr $8.25m
Marcus PetersCBUFATraded
Aqib TalibCBUFATraded
Austin BlytheOLUFA
Blake BortlesQBUFA
Michael BrockersDLUFA
Marqui ChristianCBUFA
Dante Fowler, Jr.EDGEUFA
Bryce HagerILBUFA
Cory LittletonLBUFA
Mike ThomasWRUFA
Andrew WhitworthLTUFA
Greg ZuerleinKUFA
Morgan FoxDERFA
Jojo NatsonKR/PRRFA
Josh CarrawayOLBERFA
Kendall BlantonTEERFA
Chandler BrewerOLERFA
Josh CarrawayLBERFA
Marquise CopelandDLERFA
Donte DeayonCBERFA
Landis DurhamLBERFA
Dominique HatfieldCBERFA
Jeremiah KoloneOLERFA
Johnny MundtTEERFA
Aaron NearyOLERFA
Jachai PoliteEDGEERFA
Nsimba WebsterWRERFA
John WolfordQBERFA
As you can see, there are six starters slated to hit free agency in March, but not only that, there are several key role players who could be on the move.
The Rams are going to be cash-strapped moving towards the offseason, which is why we should take a look at the biggest money deals that could create space for the Rams to work with. There are some stipulations to note obviously:
1) Generally all of these deals do contain dead money
2) Some of these options are related to being traded, not released. On the table, click the arrow option and select “Trade (Pre-June 1)” to see the figures and pricing in the event of a trade
Trading QB Jared Goff:

In 2020 (after this season), Goff’s cap hit is scheduled to cost $36.01m, or an estimated 18% of the entire cap. His long-term extension was signed in September and a trade seems incredibly far-fetched, but Goff has certainly regressed as a player and now the Rams are more cash-strapped than ever. Believing in the QB is one thing, but Goff’s deal essentially opens up the most cap space of all the new deals. If traded, the removal of Goff would save $16.042m in cap space, but they would also be charged with a $20m dead money hit. Goff is obviously not likely to be traded, especially not this soon after just recently signing an extension, but I believe there is a legitimate discussion to be had surrounding his ability and whether the Rams are better off with or without him (especially at his price tag).
Trading WR Brandin Cooks:

Of all the guys on this list, the money makes Cooks the least likely to be traded. Cooks’ cap hit in 2020 is scheduled to be $16.8m, which would take up roughly 8.4% of the entire salary cap. The dead money on his deal if he were traded would be $17.8m, while the savings would actually net a negative figure in -$1m. It’s not likely the Rams are willing to eat dead money and get rid of a good player for cheap, though it isn’t impossible either. The concussion history could also make it very hard for teams to be interested in Cooks, given his large contract.
Trading RB Todd Gurley:

Gurley’s deal is less costly than the aforementioned Cooks, but like the receiver, Gurley’s health could play a big role in the potential compensation or willingness to do a deal from another team’s perspective. Gurley’s cap hit is scheduled to be $17.25m in 2020, good for 8.6% of the salary cap. If traded, the Rams would eat $12.6m in dead money but would save $4.65m on the cap ultimately. This is one deal the Rams absolutely need to look into, and it isn’t because of Gurley specifically, but his health, lack of usage, and position simply make it a wise decision.
Trading RT Rob Havenstein:

Big Hav — like Goff — has regressed in a major way this season as he went from one of the best right tackles in football to a liability. Hav’s deal is much easier to trade as he accounts for only a $7.8m cap hit in 2020, good for 3.9% of the total salary cap. The dead money in the event of a trade would only amount to $2.4m and the savings would amount to $5.4m. The development of third-round rookie RT Bobby Evans could force Hav out the door, or the lack of development could very well keep the right tackle cemented in his starting role. Time will tell.
Trading TE Tyler Higbee:

Arguably, the silliest extension the front office of the Rams dolled out is the Higbee extension. It made absolutely no sense at the time and looks even worse now. Higbee is scheduled to cost $8.625m on the cap in 2020, good for 4.3% of the total salary cap. As a second-string tight end, that figure is simply way too high. The Rams could trade Higbee, which would result in only $2.4m of dead cap and $6.225m of savings. This deal feels like one that absolutely should happen over the summer, but the Rams will need to find a team willing to take on a bad contract for an under-performing player.
Extending CB Jalen Ramsey:

I see two options as it pertains to Ramsey. The first is obviously a long-term extension, which is by far the most likely option. The second is to trade him in the offseason, recoup most of the compensation paid, and move on like they planned on doing with EDGE Khalil Mack when the Oakland Raiders shopped him. Now, like I said, the first option is very likely. Ideally, extending Ramsey would secure a stud cornerback for many years, but not only that, it would actually also lower his price tag in 2020 which currently stands at $13.70m, or 6.9% of the cap. An extension would help create a bit of cap space in the immediate future, and the Rams are desperate for some cap relief, making this option the most likely. In the event of an unlikely trade, the Rams would be left with 0 dead money and would save all $13.70m.
Releasing S Eric Weddle

Weddle has been a welcomed and consistent option on the backend for the Rams since signing in free agency in 2019. Weddle originally signed a 2-year $11.502m deal. His cap hit for 2020 is scheduled to be $4.750m, or 2.4% of the total salary cap. The cost to release Weddle would be $500k in dead money, but it would free $4.250m on the cap. The Rams are also deep at safety which makes this move possible, but it isn’t a sure thing as Weddle has played well in his first season in L.A.
Releasing EDGE Clay Matthews

Like Weddle, Matthews was added in free agency as a low-priced veteran option to help improve the defense. And again, like Weddle, Matthews has performed well and hasn’t shown much of a drop-off in his play. Matthews will cost $5.75m in cap in 2020, or 2.9% of the entire salary cap. If the Rams choose to cut Matthews, the move would cost them $2m in dead money but would save $3.75m in cap space.
Ultimately, these are the moves that the Rams could look into when trying to free up cap space. The main reason for it being a discussion is because they’re slated to have only $26m in cap space in 2020 per OverTheCap, yet have a lot of talent that could be departing in free agency.
The best thing the Rams can do is admit a mistake and make the move. They’ve been open to doing so with guys like CB’s Aqib Talib and Marcus Peters, ILB Alec Ogletree, and others. Now, that’s not suggesting that they need to blow up the team entirely and start from scratch, no. They’re a talented team and have a great coaching staff, they’re not far off from getting things fixed and getting back on track. But, they’ve dolled out far too many long-term and pricey extensions for guys who haven’t given them a great return on investment. Majority of those guys are up above, and that’s likely why they made the list (not all).
The 2020 offseason is sure to be an exciting one as the Rams have some flexibility and plenty of options to discuss. The plan isn’t known, but one thing is for certain: Les Snead is never afraid to make a move.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Carlos Basham Jr., DE, Wake Forest

Carlos Basham Jr., DE, Wake Forest
Carlos Basham Jr NFL
Scouting Report: Carlos Basham Jr.
School: Wake Forest Position: Defensive End Class: Junior Height: 6’5″ Weight: 275 Projected Draft Round: 2-4

Scouting Report:
A versatile, three down lineman that has developed into an all around pass rusher and overall disrupting force. Has excellent height, length, and frame that will allow him to play in any defensive scheme. Very good explosion off of the snap, and has shown a variety of pass rush moves. Can get into the backfield using speed or power. Gets leverage quickly and can get low and around blockers. Able to drop into coverage and doesn’t look uncomfortable when doing so. Has developed into a technique sound pass rushers.

Carlos Basham Jr. Highlights

Lucas Niang, OT, TCU

Lucas Niang, OT, TCU
Lucas Niang NFL
Scouting Report: Lucas Niang
School: TCU Position: Offensive Tackle Class: Senior Height: 6’7″ Weight: 328 Projected Draft Round: 1-3

Scouting Report:
Prototypical length, height, and base to play tackle at the next level. Elite pass blocking prospect that has spent the majority of his time at right tackle, and appears to be staying there. Skillset is heavily tilted toward pass protection at this point, and with his huge frame and length, is very difficult to get around, and nearly impossible to beat with power straight on. Has a lot of work to do with run blocking, which will be the major indicator of his draft stock. With improvement in setting up to create lanes for running backs and settling into the mentality of road grading through to the next level, could go in the first round.

Lucas Niang Highlights

Rashard Lawrence, DT, LSU

Rashard Lawrence, DT, LSU
Rashard Lawrence NFL
Scouting Report: Rashard Lawrence
School: LSU Position: Defensive Tackle Class: Senior Height: 6’3″ Weight: 317 Projected Draft Round: 2-4

Scouting Report:
Has established himself as an effective 2 gapper that can eat up double teams and hold his ground. Solid frame and maintains his balance when being doubled. Uses a straight ahead power move to get into the backfield, especially when he recognizes a mismatch. Excellent character on and off the field. Still a bit one dimensional in his pass rush game, but it is developing. Will need to work on more arm techniques to get around blockers, and how to make himself thin in the gaps to get penetration.

Rashard Lawrence Highlights

Cesar Ruiz, C, Michigan

Cesar Ruiz, C, Michigan
Cesar Ruiz NFL
Scouting Report: Cesar Ruiz
School: Michigan Position: Center Class: Junior Height: 6’4″ Weight: 319 Projected Draft Round: 3-5

Scouting Report:
A truly versatile interior lineman that can play either guard position and center. Has the longer arm length, height and frame that NFL teams are now looking for at center, especially as more and more shotgun is used. Most teams are looking for centers that don’t always need help to double team an elite defensive tackle, and that can be used as a driving force in the run game. A smart player that can move seamlessly to either guard spot, will get an early look in the draft.

Cesar Ruiz Highlights

A.J. Terrell, CB, Clemson

A.J. Terrell, CB, Clemson
A.J. Terrell NFL
Scouting Report: A.J. Terrell
School: Clemson Position: Cornerback Class: Junior Height: 6’2″ Weight: 190 Projected Draft Round: 2-5

Scouting Report:
Plays in the secondary like a wide receiver with an eye on breaking up passes and interceptions. Versatile enough to play on the outside, in the slot, and safety. Able to cover a lot of area in coverage and still get to the play. With his vision, read and react skills, and ability to handle large coverage zones, could be looked at as a safety, especially with his ideal size for the position. Would not be a surprise to see him used in offensive packages at the next level. One of the more instinctual corners to play in college in some time, and it shows up on tape.

A.J. Terrell Highlights

Last edited:

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Tweaking the 3.0 2020 Mock draft a bit as the Rams won't have a 5'th round pick as earlier thought :

2020 NFL Draft * :

1) N/A
2) DE - Carlos Basham, W.F.
3a) OT - Lucas Niang, TCU
3b) CB - AJ Terrell, Clem (From Havenstein Trade)
3c) DT - Rashard Lawrence, LSU (Comp Pick)
4a) S - Khaleke Hudson, Mi. (From Robey-Coleman Trade)
4b) ILB - Shaq Smith, Md.
5) N/A
6a) C/OG - Cesar Ruiz, Mi (From Troy Hill Trade)
6b) DE/DT - Robert Windsor, PennSt.
7) WR - Kadarius Toney, Fl

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
My only issue with this is that you've got a TON of Big 10 guys and Snead seems partial to SEC schools and small school guys.

No judgment on the picks, but I think there'd be a ton of surprise if Snead went this hard on the Big 10...

I also think we keep more than people are estimating... I think too many fans are expecting us to dump a lot of personnel.

Seeing how that worked with the OL, I think Snead et al are going to be far more cautious in relying on unproven players during this window.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
My only issue with this is that you've got a TON of Big 10 guys and Snead seems partial to SEC schools and small school guys.

No judgment on the picks, but I think there'd be a ton of surprise if Snead went this hard on the Big 10...

I also think we keep more than people are estimating... I think too many fans are expecting us to dump a lot of personnel.

Seeing how that worked with the OL, I think Snead et al are going to be far more cautious in relying on unproven players during this window.

Well, ... the Big 10 being overly represented here was more a matter of chance than any pre-conceived notion on my part, it just came down to what talent might be available and where. In my defense, i'm personally more of a Pac 12 guy being from the left coast, so my picks are not based on schools or conferences. My first mock this season had Snead's association with Auburn having us take Mike Coe at DE with our first pick of the draft to replace the likely departing Brockers. I'm no longer considering Coe with that first pick. I'm also hopeful that Snead would dismiss leaning towards any particular conference and go where he and his scouts believe are the legitimate BPA's.
I never enter into these mocks with the expectation that the Rams will follow my limited knowledge of thousands of college football players, these are more for myself and what I see as a natural progression of team needs and how they might be met. It's far easier to be right when picking positions we want filled rather than actually picking out a particular players name, and in all the years i've been doing these I don't think i,ve ever gotten more than two names right for any one draft, it's usually closer to one or zero. These early mocks are almost always drastically altered as free agency comes before the draft, and this will often change the entire manner one would draft, so expect more mock changes as the off-season progresses.

Our limited CAP number will force personnel changes more than any desire to make change just for the sake of making change. With contracts coming due for Ramsey, Kupp, JJ3, and Everett in 2021, along with those at the end of this season for Brockers, Fowler & Littleton, it's going to be pretty tough to avoid change. We were sorry to lose Saffold last season, I would have preferred losing Brockers in his place, but it doesn't change the fact that someone had to go in order to maintain our CAP. I really won't feel any sense of loss for Brockers & Fowler, they are replaceable imo, Littleton is more the worry for me, but it may all come down to how our OL weathers the storm for the remainder of this season, and how that coupled with the potential loss of Whitworth plays into our off-season plans. jmo.

And thanks for your comments, I wish there were more ...

Last edited:

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I wasn't being critical in the negative sense, I just happened to notice the pattern that Snead is partial to the SEC and small schools.

I honestly have no idea how this off-season plays out. A LOT will depend on who does what over these last few games and if we make the playoffs and if so, what do we do in the playoffs.

I just think that there are so many unknowns that it's really shooting blindfolded to predict what our off-season will look like, who will be retained, who might be traded or released, etc.

I don't envy anyone the task of trying to mock that because what is now may look awfully different a month from now.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

I think Snead goes where the talent is. It doesn’t matter which conference so much. The Big Ten has a lot of good players in this draft.

I guess it is possible that he puts most of his trusted scouts in certain areas but with all of the small school players he scouts it seems anything goes.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I like this draft. I agree with Merlin though. I don’t think the Rams part with this many players. Some have had slow starts but they have really come on late in the season. For example Troy Hill and Michael Brockers look to be stepping up. Remember, this team went to the Superbowl they played much later in the year and likely came into camp less healed than many other teams. And Hill seems to have just needed more playing time.

I hope the new cap raise allows them to keep Littleton and Fowler both. I’d make fewer moves. One position that I’d be looking at is Center. Blythe May get overpaid, and he seems best at Center. Allen is not the answer. I wouldn’t trust a rookie center at this point.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I like this draft. I agree with Merlin though. I don’t think the Rams part with this many players. Some have had slow starts but they have really come on late in the season. For example Troy Hill and Michael Brockers look to be stepping up. Remember, this team went to the Superbowl they played much later in the year and likely came into camp less healed than many other teams. And Hill seems to have just needed more playing time.

I hope the new cap raise allows them to keep Littleton and Fowler both. I’d make fewer moves. One position that I’d be looking at is Center. Blythe May get overpaid, and he seems best at Center. Allen is not the answer. I wouldn’t trust a rookie center at this point.

The problem I have with Hill & Brockers is inconsistency, ... that and their CAP cost. Troy Hill will be 29 years old next season and has the capacity to increase our CAP availability if we can trade him. It's really going to come down to how much confidence the team has in David Long's development going forward. I fully expect the Rams to draft a CB in the off-season, and I have to assume they see something in our recent practice squad acquisition, Adonis Alexander. Brockers, imo, should be playing full time as a 3T DT on a 4-3 base defense, he's not a quality 5T DE. As you can see from my mock, I expect the Rams to draft a 5T DE fairly high, I also would like to see more of Marquis Copeland who I believe had a quality pre-season camp.

Fowler is a good young Edge rusher and will command top dollar for his next contract, lucky for us we have quality depth behind him. Fowler is fortunate to have had Donald next to him allowing for his having more impact, but he has jacked up his stats mostly against poorer teams. When you have Obo, Ebukam, Polite, Durham, Carraway & Lawler available to step in at OLB, Fowler & Matthews' long-term value takes on some consideration.

I agree that Blythe is likely to finally have a bit of a payday, he'll be turning 28 and this may be his final opportunity for a good pay raise, I can't see the Rams as the team willing to offer it though. Some team will see his diversity and will overpay. Outside of Blythe, the Rams will still have Bryan Allen, Coleman Shelton, Jeremiah Kolone, Nate Trewyn & potentially even Austin Corbett & the infamous Jamil Demby competing, all that and probably another draft pick added to the tournament of Centers.

If the Rams can possibly afford to retain two of their more expensive players entering free agency/retirement, my choices would be Littleton & a one year contract for Whitworth. Littleton for obvious reasons and Whitworth to bridge that gap as Noteboom and hopefully a newly drafted OT use 2020 to get up to speed, ... and Whitworth is a great influence on that entire OL which will be in transition.
jmo.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
That’s fine.
6 or 7 picks is fine.

I'll take this under consideration for my next mock in a week or so, but it's not only about accumulating draft picks, it's also about trading guys who may be close to aging themselves out and saving CAP so we can re-sign someone like Littleton, Whitworth, or possibly even both. jmo.

fearsomefour

Legend
I'll take this under consideration for my next mock in a week or so, but it's not only about accumulating draft picks, it's also about trading guys who may be close to aging themselves out and saving CAP so we can re-sign someone like Littleton, Whitworth, or possibly even both. jmo.
I get it and I appreciate the approach.
It’s not the approach I would take necessarily.
I like the focus on the DL in your draft.
2nd and two 3rds would likely go DL, OL, DL (maybe LB or CB, but probably DL) for me.

bluecoconuts

Legend
The options are laid out. Let’s see the potential opportunities the Rams have moving forward.

By Sosa Kremenjas@QBsMVP Nov 27, 2019, 11:17am CST

NFL: Baltimore Ravens at Los Angeles Rams
Robert Hanashiro-USA TODAY Sports
After a putrid showing on Monday Night Football, there’s not much left to do but look forward for the Los Angeles Rams. The season isn’t over and the team is still over .500 as they sit at 6-5, but the playoffs are basically out of reach at this point due to a strong NFC West and NFC conference.
Moving forward, the Rams will need to look in the mirror and make adjustments. Expectations entering 2019 were sky high after the team represented the NFC in the Super Bowl just last season. This season needs to be considered a major letdown and disappointment, but not all hope is lost. One thing to note: with all the major extensions and trades performed over the past few seasons by General Manager Les Snead, the Rams will have a severe lack of cap space and less than a full compliment of draft picks in the immediate future and beyond, so creativity will need to be at the forefront when re-stocking the tool shed.
Heading into the 2020 offseason, here is the projected draft pick haul for the Rams:
LA Rams’ 2020 NFL Draft order with comp pick projections
Rd#Rd#Pick
2TBDTBDRams pick
3TBDTBDRams pick
3 (c)TBDTBDRams pick (projected)
4TBDTBDRams pick
6TBDTBDRams pick
7TBDTBDRams pick
As you can see, there isn’t much to work with in the 2020 NFL Draft as of today. Looking further down the line, the Rams won’t have a full draft class until 2022 when they’ll finally have a 1st-round draft pick again.

Here are the players scheduled to be upcoming free agents:
2020 LA Rams Free Agents
PlayerPOSTypeOutcome
Malcolm BrownRBUFARe-signed, 2-yr $3.25m
Blake CountessDBUFAWaived
Jared GoffQBUFAOptioned
Tyler HigbeeTEUFARe-signed, 4 yr $31m
Troy HillCBUFARe-signed, 2-yr $8.25m
Marcus PetersCBUFATraded
Aqib TalibCBUFATraded
Austin BlytheOLUFA
Blake BortlesQBUFA
Michael BrockersDLUFA
Marqui ChristianCBUFA
Dante Fowler, Jr.EDGEUFA
Bryce HagerILBUFA
Cory LittletonLBUFA
Mike ThomasWRUFA
Andrew WhitworthLTUFA
Greg ZuerleinKUFA
Morgan FoxDERFA
Jojo NatsonKR/PRRFA
Josh CarrawayOLBERFA
Kendall BlantonTEERFA
Chandler BrewerOLERFA
Josh CarrawayLBERFA
Marquise CopelandDLERFA
Donte DeayonCBERFA
Landis DurhamLBERFA
Dominique HatfieldCBERFA
Jeremiah KoloneOLERFA
Johnny MundtTEERFA
Aaron NearyOLERFA
Jachai PoliteEDGEERFA
Nsimba WebsterWRERFA
John WolfordQBERFA
As you can see, there are six starters slated to hit free agency in March, but not only that, there are several key role players who could be on the move.

The Rams are going to be cash-strapped moving towards the offseason, which is why we should take a look at the biggest money deals that could create space for the Rams to work with. There are some stipulations to note obviously:
1) Generally all of these deals do contain dead money
2) Some of these options are related to being traded, not released. On the table, click the arrow option and select “Trade (Pre-June 1)” to see the figures and pricing in the event of a trade
Trading QB Jared Goff:

In 2020 (after this season), Goff’s cap hit is scheduled to cost $36.01m, or an estimated 18% of the entire cap. His long-term extension was signed in September and a trade seems incredibly far-fetched, but Goff has certainly regressed as a player and now the Rams are more cash-strapped than ever. Believing in the QB is one thing, but Goff’s deal essentially opens up the most cap space of all the new deals. If traded, the removal of Goff would save $16.042m in cap space, but they would also be charged with a $20m dead money hit. Goff is obviously not likely to be traded, especially not this soon after just recently signing an extension, but I believe there is a legitimate discussion to be had surrounding his ability and whether the Rams are better off with or without him (especially at his price tag).
Trading WR Brandin Cooks:

Of all the guys on this list, the money makes Cooks the least likely to be traded. Cooks’ cap hit in 2020 is scheduled to be $16.8m, which would take up roughly 8.4% of the entire salary cap. The dead money on his deal if he were traded would be $17.8m, while the savings would actually net a negative figure in -$1m. It’s not likely the Rams are willing to eat dead money and get rid of a good player for cheap, though it isn’t impossible either. The concussion history could also make it very hard for teams to be interested in Cooks, given his large contract.
Trading RB Todd Gurley:

Gurley’s deal is less costly than the aforementioned Cooks, but like the receiver, Gurley’s health could play a big role in the potential compensation or willingness to do a deal from another team’s perspective. Gurley’s cap hit is scheduled to be $17.25m in 2020, good for 8.6% of the salary cap. If traded, the Rams would eat $12.6m in dead money but would save $4.65m on the cap ultimately. This is one deal the Rams absolutely need to look into, and it isn’t because of Gurley specifically, but his health, lack of usage, and position simply make it a wise decision.
Trading RT Rob Havenstein:

Big Hav — like Goff — has regressed in a major way this season as he went from one of the best right tackles in football to a liability. Hav’s deal is much easier to trade as he accounts for only a $7.8m cap hit in 2020, good for 3.9% of the total salary cap. The dead money in the event of a trade would only amount to $2.4m and the savings would amount to $5.4m. The development of third-round rookie RT Bobby Evans could force Hav out the door, or the lack of development could very well keep the right tackle cemented in his starting role. Time will tell.
Trading TE Tyler Higbee:

Arguably, the silliest extension the front office of the Rams dolled out is the Higbee extension. It made absolutely no sense at the time and looks even worse now. Higbee is scheduled to cost $8.625m on the cap in 2020, good for 4.3% of the total salary cap. As a second-string tight end, that figure is simply way too high. The Rams could trade Higbee, which would result in only $2.4m of dead cap and $6.225m of savings. This deal feels like one that absolutely should happen over the summer, but the Rams will need to find a team willing to take on a bad contract for an under-performing player.
Extending CB Jalen Ramsey:

I see two options as it pertains to Ramsey. The first is obviously a long-term extension, which is by far the most likely option. The second is to trade him in the offseason, recoup most of the compensation paid, and move on like they planned on doing with EDGE Khalil Mack when the Oakland Raiders shopped him. Now, like I said, the first option is very likely. Ideally, extending Ramsey would secure a stud cornerback for many years, but not only that, it would actually also lower his price tag in 2020 which currently stands at $13.70m, or 6.9% of the cap. An extension would help create a bit of cap space in the immediate future, and the Rams are desperate for some cap relief, making this option the most likely. In the event of an unlikely trade, the Rams would be left with 0 dead money and would save all $13.70m.
Releasing S Eric Weddle

Weddle has been a welcomed and consistent option on the backend for the Rams since signing in free agency in 2019. Weddle originally signed a 2-year $11.502m deal. His cap hit for 2020 is scheduled to be $4.750m, or 2.4% of the total salary cap. The cost to release Weddle would be $500k in dead money, but it would free $4.250m on the cap. The Rams are also deep at safety which makes this move possible, but it isn’t a sure thing as Weddle has played well in his first season in L.A.
Releasing EDGE Clay Matthews

Like Weddle, Matthews was added in free agency as a low-priced veteran option to help improve the defense. And again, like Weddle, Matthews has performed well and hasn’t shown much of a drop-off in his play. Matthews will cost $5.75m in cap in 2020, or 2.9% of the entire salary cap. If the Rams choose to cut Matthews, the move would cost them $2m in dead money but would save $3.75m in cap space.
Ultimately, these are the moves that the Rams could look into when trying to free up cap space. The main reason for it being a discussion is because they’re slated to have only $26m in cap space in 2020 per OverTheCap, yet have a lot of talent that could be departing in free agency.
The best thing the Rams can do is admit a mistake and make the move. They’ve been open to doing so with guys like CB’s Aqib Talib and Marcus Peters, ILB Alec Ogletree, and others. Now, that’s not suggesting that they need to blow up the team entirely and start from scratch, no. They’re a talented team and have a great coaching staff, they’re not far off from getting things fixed and getting back on track. But, they’ve dolled out far too many long-term and pricey extensions for guys who haven’t given them a great return on investment. Majority of those guys are up above, and that’s likely why they made the list (not all).
The 2020 offseason is sure to be an exciting one as the Rams have some flexibility and plenty of options to discuss. The plan isn’t known, but one thing is for certain: Les Snead is never afraid to make a move.

What the fuck is this shit? Apparently this dude thinks we’re due for a full rebuild? The fuck outa here.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
What the fuck is this shit? Apparently this dude thinks we’re due for a full rebuild? The fuck outa here.

The article was posted only to show another knee-jerk reaction to how some would blow-up the entire team due to current frustrations rather than using a more common sense approach. While I feel 2020 will see big change, I still believe most of our troubles are cured by upgrading both the OL & DL trenches.

I don't think the 2020 Rams can be reliably considered for a Super Bowl appearance as we are bound to become younger and less experienced, although we do have a quality base to build upon and will still challenge for our division's supremacy. The Rams should further commit to building around Donald & Ramsey on D and creating the best environment for Goff & Gurley to operate in by making wholesale improvements to our OL. We have a stable of young OLB'ers who will compete for starting and rotational snaps, and we have a pretty amazing young offense outside of our needy OL.
The Rams have an incredibly solid personnel base, now we only need find those few missing pieces to the puzzle, it's very doable, but there will also be some growing pains. If Snead gets the 2020 off-season right, his legacy may be sealed.
jmo.