Rich Hammond: The full measure of Sean McVay as an NFL coach is about to be revealed

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
GettyImages-1174880981-1024x682.jpg

(Top photo of Sean McVay: Kevork Djansezian / Getty Images)

By Rich Hammond | The Athletic

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. — Ever wonder how pilots deal with turbulence? Subtle moves involving speed and elevation can make a difference. Nothing drastic, nothing rash. Stay calm and keep flying.

Such is life for an NFL coach. Rare is the smooth season. Injuries, off-field issues and player regression and poor play can present sudden bumps, and a coach must rely on his experience to get through them.

But what if that coach has never dealt with tough times? What if he’s Sean McVay, age 33 and less than three years into the job, and he’s never been faced with significant adversity? What if, in the span of 10 months, he’s gone from “genius” to “exposed” in the eyes of pundits who were absurdly breathless both times? What does he do with a team that once had Super Bowl aspirations but now is 6-5 and not in playoff position?

It’s clear that the rest of this Rams season is going to be a referendum on McVay, and if he approaches it the right way, that’s not necessarily a bad thing. In many ways, McVay now is being presented with an opportunity, a chance to show that he’s the complete package as a head coach.

What’s on the checklist? Critical Rams fans frequently ding McVay for his play-calling and for too-slow in-game adjustments. There’s a way to fix that, by bringing in some help, but that can’t be addressed until after the season. For now, McVay can work on his messaging, and give this team what it needs to hear.

McVay has done an extraordinary job since Jan. 2017. He took over a 4-12 team, got the players to believe in him and each other, installed a modern offense, elevated Jared Goff and won a division title. Then the Rams got even better in 2018, won another NFC West title and reached the Super Bowl.

One season does not turn a coach into a failure. It’s just that this is different for McVay. He has passed every test to date, but he has never faced one like this. In many ways, it will be his most difficult, and it will be fascinating to watch. There’s nothing to say McVay can’t do it; it’s just that he’s never had to do it.

Also, a disclaimer: Outside of players and coaches, nobody knows what is actually said in the Rams’ locker room, during the week and after losses. The internal message could be completely different from the public message, but the public message is hitting the ears a little weird right now.

The Rams are spiraling. Yes, they’ve had injuries and something weird has been going on with Todd Gurley all season. But this team is far too talented to be 6-5 and, quite likely, a non-playoff team.

Yet after an embarrassing 45-6 loss to Baltimore on Monday night, most everyone with the Rams spoke in measured tones. Eric Weddle had some fire, but from McVay down, the rest of the team said all the normal things about watching the tape, getting better, sticking together and eliminating mistakes.

“You be honest with yourself about what we could do better,” veteran offensive lineman Andrew Whitworth said. “That’s coaches, players, everybody. The thing is, eventually, it’s one of those things where it’s not just players, it’s not just coaches — it’s all of us together, collectively. How do we get on the same page? How do we do things better? Is it the plan, is it the plays, is it the players? All those things have to be looked at with alligator skin. You’ve got to be tough about it and look internally and say, ‘Hey, how can each and every one one of us be better?’”

That’s very smart from Whitworth, but also very analytical and calm, and those sentiments echoed across the locker room. It didn’t sound like a team particularly worried or upset about its spot in the NFL standings, and that started with McVay. In speaking this week about the upcoming games and the struggle the Rams face, he actually used the phrase “take it one game at a time.”

No. This requires more. There’s a difference between anger and panic, and the Rams need some anger right now, and it needs to start with their head coach. Where is the urgency? Again, perhaps that messaging is being delivered behind closed doors, but players also take their cues from what a coach says publicly, and this is not the time for “I’m OK, you’re OK” stuff from McVay.

McVay’s clear strength, for the past 34 months, has been in building people up. He is, by nature, a positive, encouraging person. It doesn’t mean he can’t (and won’t) get after players, but it’s time to bring that attitude to the podium. Get guys on their toes. Don’t be afraid to talk about pride and job competition.

“Anybody that’s had any sort of success in sports,” McVay said this week, “you’ve seen them overcome some adversity, different forms and fashion. But what you have to do is, you have to move forward. Those times don’t last unless you allow them to. I can promise you we’re not going to allow that to continue to fester with us, and it’s going to be something that we look at as — that adversity is an opportunity for us to respond the right way.”

All true, all smart, but this has remained the messaging week after week, and things are not getting demonstratively better for the Rams. Then there are the micro issues. Even if McVay hit every correct note with his public tone, it wouldn’t change the fact that the Rams cannot consistently score.

Over 32 regular-season games in 2017 and 2018, no team scored more points than the Rams. Now they have fallen off the cliff, and rank 14th in the NFL with an average of 22.6 points per game. They have scored a total of 249 points, one more than this week’s opponent, the Arizona Cardinals, who have a rookie quarterback, a first-year head coach and far less talent across the board on offense.

USATSI_13512433.jpg

Sean McVay has been the Rams’ offensive play-caller since his 2017 hiring. (Robert Hanashiro / USA TODAY Sports)

Some of this is out of McVay’s hands. While he works in concert with general manager Les Snead in personnel matters, McVay didn’t choose to overhaul the Rams’ offensive line. He certainly didn’t choose to deal with the murky Gurley situation, and McVay deserves plaudits there. McVay has been taking the public hits for not using Gurley more, even though he’s clearly trying to manage a sub-optimal situation.

There are, however, fair ways to critique McVay, and the red flags even started to rise late last season. Teams like Chicago and Philadelphia found ways to slow the Rams’ offense, yet McVay seemed slow-footed weeks later when New England enjoyed similar defensive success in the Super Bowl.

Coaching is never static. Critics who say McVay has been “figured out” are being ridiculous. The coaching game involves constant adjustments, readjustments, and adjustments to those readjustments. It never stops, and innovative coaches, like McVay, always have to deal with it.

Of course some of McVay’s stuff is going to get “figured out.” That’s going to happen for the rest of his career. When it does, he needs to, well, find new stuff, and there’s been a bit of an issue there, even during the season.

How about just this month? The Rams entered their bye week after victories over Atlanta and Cincinnati, teams that, at the time, had a combined record of 1-12. The Rams built some momentum but still needed to be much better, and it seemed reasonable to think that the bye week would be a perfect time for McVay to go into the lab and give the Rams’ offense some fresh material for their final eight games.

Instead, McVay gave players the entire week off from practice — which seemed reasonable, given their recent travel and a growing list of injuries — and the Rams’ offense has been completely flat since the bye. The team scored 12 points against Pittsburgh, 17 against Chicago and 6 against Baltimore.

The lack of in-game adjustments also has raised some eyebrows, which makes it fair to question whether it’s time for McVay to get some help, perhaps from an older, grizzled offensive coordinator.

McVay’s main task right now — setting the proper tone for the entire team amid its skid — is complicated by the fact that he also runs the offense. That’s a lot for one coach to take on, and since the end of the 2017 season, when Matt LaFleur left, McVay has not used an offensive coordinator, at least not in name. He now has Shane Waldron as pass-game coordinator and Aaron Kromer as run-game coordinator, but even those coaches have other responsibilities (quarterbacks and offensive linemen, respectively).

McVay gets help — former UCLA offensive coordinator Jedd Fisch also is on the staff — but maybe it’s time for something more. If McVay doesn’t want to hand over play-calling duties, he can perhaps at least bring in a veteran coach for some guidance. Minnesota brought in Gary Kubiak as a consultant after last season. Is there a chance that Jay Gruden, one of McVay’s mentors, might be interested in a role?

McVay’s most impressive move as Rams coach was his first big one. In hiring Wade Phillips as his defensive coordinator, McVay showed confidence, that he wasn’t afraid to bring in a high-profile assistant to run a big part of his time. It was the proper move and it got rewarded. McVay doesn’t need to hand over the entire offense now, and he shouldn’t, but he also shouldn’t shoulder the entire weight.

To be certain, McVay’s seat is not warm. The cabin air pressure is just fine. McVay had the Rams in the Super Bowl within this calendar year, and nobody within Rams headquarters can imagine a different, or better, leader for this team.

McVay is also only two weeks removed from one of his best coaching performances. Against Chicago, the Rams entered with a young, reshuffled offensive line and the outlook appeared gloomy. McVay went back to basics, shifted primarily to sets with two tight ends and ran the ball. It still wasn’t very aesthetically pleasing, but the Rams did enough to get the victory. In the postgame locker room, the Rams gathered around McVay and presented him with a game ball.

This isn’t a time to panic. McVay is fine but everyone, in any industry — coaches, players, accountants, truck drivers — always can stand to improve. That is being brought into sharper focus now for McVay because of the Rams’ struggles this season. McVay always likes to look on the bright side, so he should view this as a chance to prove that he can guide the Rams through tough times for the first time.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

i didn't read the article but the heading says it all. there was no need to read a thousand words to add to it.

SeminoleRam

Pro Bowler
Name
PaceRam

i didn't read the article but the heading says it all. there was no need to read a thousand words to add to it.

With articles this long I usually read the First and Last Paragraphs (And, Then go back and read more if needed!)!

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I feel like the next 5 games are critical. Not that I think they can make the playoffs. I'm pretty sure that is not happening. But they're critical in that McVay needs to keep the players from losing motivation. They need to play with some pride and give themselves something to carry over to next season.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
In my book, McVay has already proven plenty.

Perennial decades-long loser and worst O in NFL transformed into Best O in NFL and playoff contender and Super Bowl appearance? Yeah he’s proved more than enough already.

Honestly my expectations for the rest of the season are low. Real test for me will be how Snead and McVay manage turn stuff around and see if they can keep Rams relevant next year.

McVay has to get that wedding over with, hire some more good help, and see if he can figure out how to stay ahead of the curve.

IMHO, Sean “franchise savior” McVay gets a pass for a clunker season (or two). Rams may have gotten over-aggressive with some personnel moves...but I appreciate the way they take calculated risks, even when they don’t pan out.

coconut

Pro Bowler
Name
coconut
"Over 32 regular-season games in 2017 and 2018, no team scored more points than the Rams. Now they have fallen off the cliff, and rank 14th in the NFL with an average of 22.6 points per game. They have scored a total of 249 points, one more than this week’s opponent, the Arizona Cardinals, who have a rookie quarterback, a first-year head coach and far less talent across the board on offense."
:palm:

Flint

Pro Bowler
I don’t see it as some kind of crossroads for McVay, teams are coming for you. It’s hard to stay on top, every team in the west has been to the SB.
McVay wasn’t the genius everyone proclaimed and I don’t think he’s been exposed either.
Shanny finally had everything go right like McVay had everything go wrong.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
I agree that it is time for Sean to step up he is our leader and coach. Injuries, being targeted as the NFC champ are all part of it. Sean needs to get the most out of what he has in front of him right now.

I support and believe in him but it is mostly on him as the leader to prepare the team each week to have it's best chance to win.

I am somewhat surprised at how accepting we have become as a fanbase on mediocrity or worse. Yes we were once 3 - 13 but that doesn't make 7 - 9 acceptable.
Yes we have had what some may think is an unfair amount of injuries but that needs to be an obstacle not an excuse.

Winning franchises in all sports do not think this way and I am not about to believe that being better than bad is good enough.

Lets get this together and move forward toward our goal, Improvement is always necessary " Not Optional"

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They've said this every year McVay has been the coach. How would he deal with the Falcons playoff loss? We went 13-3 the next year. How would he deal with that bad stretch of games against the Lions, Bears, and Eagles? We went to the Super Bowl. How will he deal with our fairly average play this year? We'll be back in the playoffs next year.

Flint

Pro Bowler
I agree that it is time for Sean to step up he is our leader and coach. Injuries, being targeted as the NFC champ are all part of it. Sean needs to get the most out of what he has in front of him right now.

I support and believe in him but it is mostly on him as the leader to prepare the team each week to have it's best chance to win.

I am somewhat surprised at how accepting we have become as a fanbase on mediocrity or worse. Yes we were once 3 - 13 but that doesn't make 7 - 9 acceptable.
Yes we have had what some may think is an unfair amount of injuries but that needs to be an obstacle not an excuse.

Winning franchises in all sports do not think this way and I am not about to believe that being better than bad is good enough.

Lets get this together and move forward toward our goal, Improvement is always necessary " Not Optional"

I don’t think I would characterize it as accepting of mediocrity, as much as we like to think we know what’s going on, we really don’t. It’s hard to be critical when you don’t completely understand the situation.
I have confidence that McVay and Snead are trying to figure out how to save the season, we’ll have to see what they come up with. What do you suggest we do to move forward towards our goal?

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I read the first blah blah blah and skipped down to this one fact;

McVay is a smart guy.
He's learning every day.
By the time he's 50 he might be the greatest coach in the history of the NFL.

As long as you continue to learn from your mistakes and your successes and get better?

The possibilities are endless.

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
This stood out to me as 100% true:

...and that started with McVay. In speaking this week about the upcoming games and the struggle the Rams face, he actually used the phrase “take it one game at a time.”

No. This requires more. There’s a difference between anger and panic, and the Rams need some anger right now, and it needs to start with their head coach. Where is the urgency? Again, perhaps that messaging is being delivered behind closed doors, but players also take their cues from what a coach says publicly, and this is not the time for “I’m OK, you’re OK” stuff from McVay.

IBruce80

Tokyo Ram
In my book, McVay has already proven plenty.

Perennial decades-long loser and worst O in NFL transformed into Best O in NFL and playoff contender and Super Bowl appearance? Yeah he’s proved more than enough already.

Honestly my expectations for the rest of the season are low. Real test for me will be how Snead and McVay manage turn stuff around and see if they can keep Rams relevant next year.

McVay has to get that wedding over with, hire some more good help, and see if he can figure out how to stay ahead of the curve.

IMHO, Sean “franchise savior” McVay gets a pass for a clunker season (or two). Rams may have gotten over-aggressive with some personnel moves...but I appreciate the way they take calculated risks, even when they don’t pan out.

Nice.
Couldn't have said it better.
Exactly how I feel.

The blame has gradually fallen away from just the OL and now fingers pointing at McVay and Goff in particular.
I still believe McVay will turn it all around.

Flint

Pro Bowler

...and that started with McVay. In speaking this week about the upcoming games and the struggle the Rams face, he actually used the phrase “take it one game at a time.”

It requires more attention to detail, more focus and better execution. If anger helps you get there fine if not fine but players respect honesty and sincerity, manufacturing anger for the cameras will not fool anyone. McVay has never shown himself to be a screamer I don’t know if they would buy it now in his first adversity as a head coach.

OregonRamsFan

All Horned Up
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It requires more attention to detail, more focus and better execution. If anger helps you get there fine if not fine but players respect honesty and sincerity, manufacturing anger for the cameras will not fool anyone. McVay has never shown himself to be a screamer I don’t know if they would buy it now in his first adversity as a head coach.
You may be right. My thoughts are:
1) If anger has to be manufactured then we are already lost.

2) Letting the team take a full week off was probably setting the wrong tone in my opinion. No matter how tough the circumstances you have to fight through the bad times as a team. The coach has to show the dedication to be the best under the toughest circumstances. It’s part of being a leader. Maybe it’s my military background that forms my tough opinions. Not apologizing for that.

Adversity will test every NFL coach at some time. It’s how you react to adversity that defines a coach and collectively the team.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame

I don’t agree that McVay gives “I’m ok you’re ok” crap.

Although McVay might express *some* anger to his players, I’d have to say it’s just not his style. McVay is not the hard-ass marine-corps ‘yeller’ type.

IMHO McVay patterns himself after John Wooden, the legendary UCLA basketball coach who won 10 national championships. Wooden created the ‘pyramid of success’ (which McVay uses) which emphasizes things like loyalty, poise, cooperation, preparation... culminating in ‘competitive greatness.’

McVay is a more cerebral coach who values teamwork and meticulous preparation. Yelling at players and throwing stuff around just ain’t his thang.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
GettyImages-1174880981-1024x682.jpg

(Top photo of Sean McVay: Kevork Djansezian / Getty Images)

By Rich Hammond | The Athletic

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. — Ever wonder how pilots deal with turbulence? Subtle moves involving speed and elevation can make a difference. Nothing drastic, nothing rash. Stay calm and keep flying.

Such is life for an NFL coach. Rare is the smooth season. Injuries, off-field issues and player regression and poor play can present sudden bumps, and a coach must rely on his experience to get through them.

But what if that coach has never dealt with tough times? What if he’s Sean McVay, age 33 and less than three years into the job, and he’s never been faced with significant adversity? What if, in the span of 10 months, he’s gone from “genius” to “exposed” in the eyes of pundits who were absurdly breathless both times? What does he do with a team that once had Super Bowl aspirations but now is 6-5 and not in playoff position?

It’s clear that the rest of this Rams season is going to be a referendum on McVay, and if he approaches it the right way, that’s not necessarily a bad thing. In many ways, McVay now is being presented with an opportunity, a chance to show that he’s the complete package as a head coach.

What’s on the checklist? Critical Rams fans frequently ding McVay for his play-calling and for too-slow in-game adjustments. There’s a way to fix that, by bringing in some help, but that can’t be addressed until after the season. For now, McVay can work on his messaging, and give this team what it needs to hear.

McVay has done an extraordinary job since Jan. 2017. He took over a 4-12 team, got the players to believe in him and each other, installed a modern offense, elevated Jared Goff and won a division title. Then the Rams got even better in 2018, won another NFC West title and reached the Super Bowl.

One season does not turn a coach into a failure. It’s just that this is different for McVay. He has passed every test to date, but he has never faced one like this. In many ways, it will be his most difficult, and it will be fascinating to watch. There’s nothing to say McVay can’t do it; it’s just that he’s never had to do it.

Also, a disclaimer: Outside of players and coaches, nobody knows what is actually said in the Rams’ locker room, during the week and after losses. The internal message could be completely different from the public message, but the public message is hitting the ears a little weird right now.

The Rams are spiraling. Yes, they’ve had injuries and something weird has been going on with Todd Gurley all season. But this team is far too talented to be 6-5 and, quite likely, a non-playoff team.

Yet after an embarrassing 45-6 loss to Baltimore on Monday night, most everyone with the Rams spoke in measured tones. Eric Weddle had some fire, but from McVay down, the rest of the team said all the normal things about watching the tape, getting better, sticking together and eliminating mistakes.

“You be honest with yourself about what we could do better,” veteran offensive lineman Andrew Whitworth said. “That’s coaches, players, everybody. The thing is, eventually, it’s one of those things where it’s not just players, it’s not just coaches — it’s all of us together, collectively. How do we get on the same page? How do we do things better? Is it the plan, is it the plays, is it the players? All those things have to be looked at with alligator skin. You’ve got to be tough about it and look internally and say, ‘Hey, how can each and every one one of us be better?’”

That’s very smart from Whitworth, but also very analytical and calm, and those sentiments echoed across the locker room. It didn’t sound like a team particularly worried or upset about its spot in the NFL standings, and that started with McVay. In speaking this week about the upcoming games and the struggle the Rams face, he actually used the phrase “take it one game at a time.”

McVay’s clear strength, for the past 34 months, has been in building people up. He is, by nature, a positive, encouraging person. It doesn’t mean he can’t (and won’t) get after players, but it’s time to bring that attitude to the podium. Get guys on their toes. Don’t be afraid to talk about pride and job competition.

“Anybody that’s had any sort of success in sports,” McVay said this week, “you’ve seen them overcome some adversity, different forms and fashion. But what you have to do is, you have to move forward. Those times don’t last unless you allow them to. I can promise you we’re not going to allow that to continue to fester with us, and it’s going to be something that we look at as — that adversity is an opportunity for us to respond the right way.”

All true, all smart, but this has remained the messaging week after week, and things are not getting demonstratively better for the Rams. Then there are the micro issues. Even if McVay hit every correct note with his public tone, it wouldn’t change the fact that the Rams cannot consistently score.

Over 32 regular-season games in 2017 and 2018, no team scored more points than the Rams. Now they have fallen off the cliff, and rank 14th in the NFL with an average of 22.6 points per game. They have scored a total of 249 points, one more than this week’s opponent, the Arizona Cardinals, who have a rookie quarterback, a first-year head coach and far less talent across the board on offense.

USATSI_13512433.jpg

Sean McVay has been the Rams’ offensive play-caller since his 2017 hiring. (Robert Hanashiro / USA TODAY Sports)

Some of this is out of McVay’s hands. While he works in concert with general manager Les Snead in personnel matters, McVay didn’t choose to overhaul the Rams’ offensive line. He certainly didn’t choose to deal with the murky Gurley situation, and McVay deserves plaudits there. McVay has been taking the public hits for not using Gurley more, even though he’s clearly trying to manage a sub-optimal situation.

There are, however, fair ways to critique McVay, and the red flags even started to rise late last season. Teams like Chicago and Philadelphia found ways to slow the Rams’ offense, yet McVay seemed slow-footed weeks later when New England enjoyed similar defensive success in the Super Bowl.

Coaching is never static. Critics who say McVay has been “figured out” are being ridiculous. The coaching game involves constant adjustments, readjustments, and adjustments to those readjustments. It never stops, and innovative coaches, like McVay, always have to deal with it.

Of course some of McVay’s stuff is going to get “figured out.” That’s going to happen for the rest of his career. When it does, he needs to, well, find new stuff, and there’s been a bit of an issue there, even during the season.

How about just this month? The Rams entered their bye week after victories over Atlanta and Cincinnati, teams that, at the time, had a combined record of 1-12. The Rams built some momentum but still needed to be much better, and it seemed reasonable to think that the bye week would be a perfect time for McVay to go into the lab and give the Rams’ offense some fresh material for their final eight games.

Instead, McVay gave players the entire week off from practice — which seemed reasonable, given their recent travel and a growing list of injuries — and the Rams’ offense has been completely flat since the bye. The team scored 12 points against Pittsburgh, 17 against Chicago and 6 against Baltimore.

The lack of in-game adjustments also has raised some eyebrows, which makes it fair to question whether it’s time for McVay to get some help, perhaps from an older, grizzled offensive coordinator.

McVay’s main task right now — setting the proper tone for the entire team amid its skid — is complicated by the fact that he also runs the offense. That’s a lot for one coach to take on, and since the end of the 2017 season, when Matt LaFleur left, McVay has not used an offensive coordinator, at least not in name. He now has Shane Waldron as pass-game coordinator and Aaron Kromer as run-game coordinator, but even those coaches have other responsibilities (quarterbacks and offensive linemen, respectively).

McVay gets help — former UCLA offensive coordinator Jedd Fisch also is on the staff — but maybe it’s time for something more. If McVay doesn’t want to hand over play-calling duties, he can perhaps at least bring in a veteran coach for some guidance. Minnesota brought in Gary Kubiak as a consultant after last season. Is there a chance that Jay Gruden, one of McVay’s mentors, might be interested in a role?

McVay’s most impressive move as Rams coach was his first big one. In hiring Wade Phillips as his defensive coordinator, McVay showed confidence, that he wasn’t afraid to bring in a high-profile assistant to run a big part of his time. It was the proper move and it got rewarded. McVay doesn’t need to hand over the entire offense now, and he shouldn’t, but he also shouldn’t shoulder the entire weight.

To be certain, McVay’s seat is not warm. The cabin air pressure is just fine. McVay had the Rams in the Super Bowl within this calendar year, and nobody within Rams headquarters can imagine a different, or better, leader for this team.

McVay is also only two weeks removed from one of his best coaching performances. Against Chicago, the Rams entered with a young, reshuffled offensive line and the outlook appeared gloomy. McVay went back to basics, shifted primarily to sets with two tight ends and ran the ball. It still wasn’t very aesthetically pleasing, but the Rams did enough to get the victory. In the postgame locker room, the Rams gathered around McVay and presented him with a game ball.

This isn’t a time to panic. McVay is fine but everyone, in any industry — coaches, players, accountants, truck drivers — always can stand to improve. That is being brought into sharper focus now for McVay because of the Rams’ struggles this season. McVay always likes to look on the bright side, so he should view this as a chance to prove that he can guide the Rams through tough times for the first time.

This article kind of ripped McVay and Goff for not panicking before the AZ game.
Clearly he didn't know what he was talking about.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
This article states that McVay gets help on offense schemes from a member of his staff named J. Fisch.

Ok, I think I’ve diagnosed the problem here...

fearsomefour

Legend

Who knows how it is handled behind the scenes.
He has not lost the team. They play hard.
Even in the Ravens game they played hard.
They just didn’t play well.
An emotional cue will only work for a very short term in a game. They are all professionals. It’s about execution and people being on the same page. Focus and execution is needed. Anger may give you a nice fired up start with pushing and shoving and shit talk, but, goes away pretty quickly.

fearsomefour

Legend
This article states that McVay gets help on offense schemes from a member of his staff named J. Fisch.

Ok, I think I’ve diagnosed the problem here...
If there is a boss and he has an assistant....the boss listens to the assistant and the assistant is a fool....what does that make the boss?