Rice sees Steve Young moves in Manziel

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jap

Legend
Embrace it.

It can only be good for the Rams.

Another QB drops inside our 13 pick is a good thing.

I am so more concerned with how all this hyping of Johnny Football will influences the Browns selection. If they feel pressured to move up to #2 to snare Johnny F, they may surrender both 1st rounders or at least the #4 overall and a second rounder to the Horns. This should be better than what we will get from any deals with the Dirty Birds and should go a long way toward assisting the Horns' dynasty building drive.

nighttrain

Legend
I am so more concerned with how all this hyping of Johnny Football will influences the Browns selection. If they feel pressured to move up to #2 to snare Johnny F, they may surrender both 1st rounders or at least the #4 overall and a second rounder to the Horns. This should be better than what we will get from any deals with the Dirty Birds and should go a long way toward assisting the Horns' dynasty building drive.[/QUOTE]
I'm hoping Rice and others hype of Manziel drives the Browns to out bid, and give up both 1st rounders;):cool::sneaky:
train

Ram_of_Old

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I am so more concerned with how all this hyping of Johnny Football will influences the Browns selection. If they feel pressured to move up to #2 to snare Johnny F, they may surrender both 1st rounders or at least the #4 overall and a second rounder to the Horns. This should be better than what we will get from any deals with the Dirty Birds and should go a long way toward assisting the Horns' dynasty building drive.

Be assured that Snead will make the most from the situation.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Rice is a freaking idiot.

Gruden is saying the same thing;

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draf...4-nfl-draft-jon-gruden-qb-camp-johnny-manziel

1. Steve Young is who I see when I watch Johnny Manziel's tape

Now, it's the Steve Young we saw coming out of BYU, not the finished product who won a Super Bowl and became a first-ballot Hall of Famer. But the similarities are there, and it's exciting: He's very fast, all over the place athletically, very similar size. My dad was with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers when they took Young in the supplemental draft back in 1984. I remember him studying a lot of Young's tape at BYU and with the L.A. Express (USFL). There's a lot of common ground: their size, speed, playmaking ability and upside. The upside is tremendous.

I love this kid, but he is not a finished product. This is a young player, very young. He has just turned 21 years old. This is not a fifth-year senior. This is a guy who had two seasons of college eligibility left. But he is a rare playmaker. He has had incredible production in what people think is the most difficult conference in football. It wasn't very difficult for him. He ran for 1,410 yards and 7.0 yards per carry as a freshman. I didn't even see Bo Jackson do that as a freshman [Editor's note: Jackson rushed for 829 yards his freshman season, with a 6.5 yards-per-carry average]. And he threw for 7,820 yards in two seasons.

The production is off the charts. His passion for the game and his guts are as good as there is. Now, he needs to improve in his technical knowledge of the game, of the position, of the league he is going into. This is true for every quarterback entering the NFL as a rookie, but particularly for a player as young as he is.

Jon Gruden: You are crazy, aren't you, the way you play the game?
Johnny Manziel: Sir, I believe so.
Gruden: When I say clock in head, what am I saying?
Manziel: I feel it naturally. I know what you are talking about based off times I'm going through my progessions, and you feel almost like you are on a game show or something. You feel it: tick, tick, tick, tick, tick.
Gruden: Your clock -- sometimes, it almost looks faster at times than others. Right here [points to a play on screen], what would I say to you?
Manziel: Hit this under.
Gruden: Get on with it. What is it about you sometimes, Johnny, that doesn't allow that to happen?
Manziel: Just trying to make that great play every time instead of trying to make it whenever it is asked or whenever it is needed.
Gruden: When I say high risk, high reward, what are the risks I'm talking about?
Manziel: Risks of taking hits like that. [Referencing hit on screen.]
Gruden: Don't want to see you get a lot of those hits. You see my friend No. 1 here? [On screen, Aggies running back Ben Malena is open for a short completion.] This could have been the first checkdown in the history of Aggie football.

2. Manziel aced the workout I put him through, and he can make all the throws

That was just an exclamation point on his ability. This guy has got great ability, natural passing ability. He has very big hands. We had him throw some brand-new footballs without any laces on them to simulate game situations when there isn't time to spin the ball into ideal throwing position. He can control a ball that is brand new, without laces.

You can just tell by the trajectory, the accuracy, the way the ball spins and the release, the timing. It didn't matter if he was in a seven-step drop, three-step, five-step, shotgun, one-step, no laces. The guy can play. He can make all the throws. The footballs got wet at times when we were out on the field. It was windy. I thought he performed well with receivers he has never met or worked with.

3. Manziel can energize a franchise

I'd like to see him go early to one of these teams that is starving for a quarterback, to give them hope. Manziel gives somebody a reason to go down to the local season-ticket office. He gives a team like the Jacksonville Jaguars or Cleveland Browns or Oakland Raiders a name, an exciting player. He said it: "My brand of football is exciting."

Now, if he goes to one of those teams, he might have to play early. That is feasible, but someone is going to have to fast-track him. They will probably have to do some things that he is comfortable doing, that he has had success doing and, at the same time, feed him and bring him along in some of the areas where they would like to see him grow. But he can throw, he can scramble and I do think he has a good head on his shoulders. He needs training. He needs time. Unfortunately, being drafted by a team that needs a starting QB isn't the way to get time.

4. 'Dusty' tells the story of Manziel

We don't have to go for the home run every play; second-and-3 is OK. Manziel needs to learn that. The way I made that point to him was through a play called "72 Dusty X Individual" (or "73 Dusty X Individual," depending on the protection). "Dusty" stands for double under when we've got two receivers running underneath routes on the trips side of the formation. And then, we have the "X" receiver on the back side. I saw A&M run it probably 25 or 30 times. Everyone in the NFL runs it. I know how to read it. That is common ground, so I can evaluate off it.

All we want to do is pick a side. We're either going to work the Dusty side with three receivers or the X receiver on the other side if we get a great look over there. Really, we're going to check it down a lot of the time. And I think it somewhat tells the story of Johnny Manziel. You watch him run Dusty and you go, "Wow! What a beautiful corner route. Great job." And then on the next one, "Wow! What are you doing? Why did you do that?"

Take the game against Alabama. He's already been shredding their defense. He's got the unders open on Dusty, but it's not enough for him. He's late on the throw, and the backside safety gets a good break, and, suddenly, we're watching replays to see if there is a roughness penalty on the incompletion. Hit the unders and get on with the game. I want him to eliminate those bad results on the routine plays. Dusty is a routine play. When I call "22 Hank" and the primary is open, throw him the ball every time. That is why I am calling the play: I think he is going to be open. If he is not open, you can throw the curl or to the flat. When I call Dusty, when I call "Z In," when I call "Flanker Drive," when I call "X Shallow," when I call another concept, we're going to read it like this, this and this.

5. Johnny Football must learn to win with his arm

If you need your quarterback to shake and bake and get the hell out of there because a protection broke down, Manziel can do that. You are getting a guy with those types of resources. He ultimately needs to be a three-headed monster. He has to use his legs when he needs to, he has to use his football mind on every single snap -- eliminating the negative plays -- and then he has to lean on his right arm. He needs to learn to win with just his arm.

I do think Manziel has a good arm. He has really good deep-ball accuracy. I have seen him drive it. I have seen him get rid of it quick. I have even seen him throw it without laces quickly and accurately. There is a lot to work with there, but don't get bored with success. You don't go broke making a profit on every play. I just feel like the offense he played in at Texas A&M was a high-risk, high-reward type of offense. I think he has put himself at personal risk there taking hits. I think his durability was an issue late in his career at A&M, and I think it hurt their football team.

With Manziel, you are getting a blank canvas in some areas. He hasn't been underneath the center. He hasn't been asked to use a lot of different types of snap counts. They didn't even use a snap count on the road. So if you listen carefully, there are some things that this kid is going to have to really learn and experience for the first time. That is kind of cool, too.

I just think he is the kind of kid who is going to continue to get better, and he is going to continue to compete, and, at the end of the day, if you put him in the right system and give him the right amount of support, you are going to have a helluva quarterback.

Zombie Slayer

You are entitled to nothing.
Name
Dave
I have to admit that I've started to like Manziel a lot after his pro day and in his interviews. He seems like he genuinely wants to work to be the best and is taking his job as a QB very seriously. I for one will be rooting for him for whatever team he goes to. Plus I always root for the guys coming out now who don't meet the prototypical NFL QB body type being 6'4+. Nice to see normal height guys getting a chance to play QB in the NFL now.

Ram_of_Old

I have to admit that I've started to like Manziel a lot after his pro day and in his interviews. He seems like he genuinely wants to work to be the best and is taking his job as a QB very seriously. I for one will be rooting for him for whatever team he goes to. Plus I always root for the guys coming out now who don't meet the prototypical NFL QB body type being 6'4+. Nice to see normal height guys getting a chance to play QB in the NFL now.

He has some really great skills, but his physical statue, other than just his height has bee questioned. But then Fran Tarkenton was not a large man either, and he had a long successful career. He reminds me of FT.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
The big question is why he so readily ignored his primary and secondary targets. He rarely followed the plays because he was too busy running around. That clock in his head usually went off too quickly. The questions about Manzeil are if he has the mental ability it takes to be an NFL QB.

I think he reminds me of Vick. He has the instinct to run too soon. He tries to do too much on every play. He oesnt look like he can read a defense. Pro Days don't dispel those concerns.

Ram_of_Old

The big question is why he so readily ignored his primary and secondary targets. He rarely followed the plays because he was too busy running around. That clock in his head usually went off too quickly. The questions about Manzeil are if he has the mental ability it takes to be an NFL QB.

I think he reminds me of Vick. He has the instinct to run too soon. He tries to do too much on every play. He oesnt look like he can read a defense. Pro Days don't dispel those concerns.

He will need a lot of work to make it in the pros. A good solid QB coach will help. But I think he is more "teachable" than Vick was. It shouldn't take long.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I'm not sure if matching Vick's level of performance is all that bad. Vick's earned big contracts by being solid enough to win with.

Ram_of_Old

I'm not sure if matching Vick's level of performance is all that bad. Vick's earned big contracts by being solid enough to win with.

I recall when Vick beat us in a playoff game. The wife and I were at a Four Star resort. The game sucked, but the great room nearly made up for it.