RG3 struggles in Baltimore

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
RG3 struggles in Baltimore
Posted by Josh Alper on August 23, 2014, 9:27 PM EDT
cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptbkyzy0zjg1ota4mzrlngjknwjkyjfmndc5nwyynthj.jpeg
Getty Images
There was a lot of attention paid to the amount of hits that Redskins quarterback Robert Griffin III took against the Browns last Monday night, once again raising questions about his ability to stay healthy for an entire season.

Griffin took more hits on Saturday night against the Ravens, who sacked him three times during a dismal performance for Griffin and the Redskins offense. Griffin held the ball too long on a sack by Elvis Dumervil and took off a bit early at other times while playing behind an offensive line struggled all night as they shuffled players through different spots without finding too many positive results.

The results weren’t much more encouraging when Griffin did put the ball in the air. He finished the night 5-of-8 for just 20 yards and saw his final pass of the night settle into the hands of linebacker C.J. Mosley after a deflection by Daryl Smith on a throw that Griffin tried to force into Alfred Morris. It goes without saying that it wasn’t the kind of night the Redskins wanted to see after Griffin’s mediocre game against Cleveland.

It’s more encouraging for the Ravens, who saw Timmy Jernigan get a sack to go with Mosley as rookie standouts on defense. They were also playing without their top three cornerbacks, which didn’t present much of a problem when it came to shutting down the Washington offense.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I think that acl tear damaged him more mentally than physically. That and his inability to slide properly.

Force16X

anti pedestrian
Rams On Demand Sponsor
even if RG3 does well, i like getting 5 or 6 or 7 players in return.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
RG3 has been so unintelligent lately with his play. Whether it's making himself a human pinball to get 2 extra yards in preseason or trying to bullet a ball to a target with defenders draped over each shoulder.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I still find it hilarious when i read comments at other teams forums saying we'd of been better off taking him instead of the trade.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I still find it hilarious when i read comments at other teams forums saying we'd of been better off taking him instead of the trade.

Yes. One of the all time greatest trades - an amazing amount in return for that pick - AND the player the Redskins wanted is injury prone, AS predicted prior to the trade. In no way, shape or form can there be any conclusion except that the Rams made out like bandits. I still laugh at the thought that the Rams should have held out for more, rather than take the amazing offer they'd suckered the Redskins into giving up, risking that they would lose out on one of the greatest trades in NFL history.

PowayRamFan

Hall of Fame
I remember how everyone was touting how smart this guy was coming out of college. Problem is, he plays like an idiot.....

FRO

Legend
I think he will be fine, but I'm wondering if he ever got to normal after tearing that knee. They say guys recover well after the first tear, but when they tear it twice it's hard to ever get back to normal. Even if Bradford is done and won't play for us I still do that trade.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...ays-kirk-cousins-better-qb-robert-griffin-iii

Robert Griffin III's role as Washington's clear-cut starter has been called into question by former Redskins quarterback Joe Theismann.

Theismann, now a sportscaster for the Redskins Broadcast Network, said during Washington loss Saturday night to the Baltimore Ravens that backup Kirk Cousins has been a better quarterback than Griffin.

"Let's stop beating around the bush," Theismann said during the broadcast, according to The Washington Post. "Kirk Cousins has played much better at the quarterback position than Robert Griffin III has. Now, Robert is learning to work out of a pocket. He doesn't look as smooth or as comfortable throwing the football. I mean, your eyes will tell you everything you need to know.

"It's going to be a decision that Jay Gruden is going to have to make. Right now, Robert Griffin III is his quarterback. Now, if there was a quarterback competition, it wouldn't be a competition. Kirk Cousins would be the man I believe he would have to go to, because of the efficiency with which he has run [the offense]. Now Kirk, like I said, is basically a dropback quarterback. I see Andy Dalton in Cincinnati, I see Kirk Cousins that way."

Griffin went 5-for-7 for 20 yards in the first half of Washington's 23-17 loss and was sacked three times. He returned in the third quarter and threw just one pass, an interception deep in Washington territory. He also dropped a snap and gained 3 yards on three impromptu runs.

"I think there's going to be a lot of conversation after this football game regarding the quarterback position," Theismann said on the broadcast.

"You can't avoid it. Your eyes don't lie to you. Robert has struggled in the limited opportunities that he has had. And Kirk Cousins has seized the opportunities that he has had when it comes to playing the position and understanding the offense."

Cousins went 14-for-20 for 122 yards and two touchdowns against the Ravens.

"Kirk Cousins did a very good job tonight getting the ball out of his hands," Theismann said. "Decisive with the ball, very accurate when it came to throwing it, and his decisions were very good as well. So it was a very complete second half for him. And you can say it's against the second team, you can say he's with the second team. It doesn't matter. He did a heckuva job tonight."

For his part, Griffin acknowledged he and the offense need to make improvements.

"The offense goes as I go, so personally, I have to play better," he said. "But I think we shot ourselves in the foot too many times, had too many mistakes. Whenever we can get 11 guys working in one direction, we're going to be something special. That's something we'll continue to work on. We'll get it fixed."

First-year coach Gruden also addressed Griffin's performance.

"He's got to move on," he said. "We've got to do a better job of getting in rhythm, get some completions early, get some first downs. We were so bad on first and second down, I think, it kept us in some third down-and-longs."

Gruden said Griffin and most of the Washington starters would not play in the preseason finale at Tampa Bay. Washington opens the season Sept. 7 at Houston.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

BKBISTRO

UDFA
As much as I wanted the redskins to struggle after we made that trade, I do feel bad for RG3. Agree that the injury affected him mentally much more than was initially thought. Hopefully Bradford stays strong mentally and doesn't start getting all skittish in the pocket after yesterday's near miss. That being said, Jake Long better shape up very quickly.

Athos

Legend
Doesn't make good decisions with the ball.

Keep saying. Cousins with be their QB. Mark it down. Only a matter of time.

Shanahan probably ruined him though.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey

Agree that Shanahan ruined RGIII. Playing him in that aggressive read-option offense against big, fast NFL defenders got him splattered as a rookie and he's never recovered.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
First of all; I'm not ready to say RG3 is done. He's got some talent at WR and therefore stands a chance to bounce back.

To me the problem with RG3 started well before his knee injury and has everything to do with what resides between his ears.

I am no psychologist, but RG3 had "look at me" insecurities long before the NFL. Look no further than the colourful socks he wore and garnered interest from in college. Some may suggest thats just him expressing individuality or playfulness... But what you see there has carried over into other examples; his twitter comments, failure to take accountability for things on the football field, "operation patience", his wedding registry. It screams a need for attention. That doesn't seem like a good trait for a starting QB in the NFL.

Cousins is awful, if he's the better of the two, the RGIII really really sucks.

Athos

Legend
Cousins is awful, if he's the better of the two, the RGIII really really sucks.

I don't think he's horrible. He's at least played better than RGFailure. And unlike RGFailure, he's not one love tap from someone breaking his twig legs.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
If the roles were reversed and Snead pulled the trigger and made the same trade to GET Griffin would anyone here be PO's and calling for Sneads job?

I'd be very, very, very unhappy with him, to say the least.

Anyway Griffin is looking more and more like he isn't going to be elite, and might barely be good. So the Rams win that trade and in fact it could get worse because if he has to be replaced in the next year or two WASH won't be relevant again for awhile. I'm fine with that because Snyder is a human turd.

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...ays-kirk-cousins-better-qb-robert-griffin-iii

"Let's stop beating around the bush," Theismann said during the broadcast, according to The Washington Post. "Kirk Cousins has played much better at the quarterback position than Robert Griffin III has. Now, Robert is learning to work out of a pocket. He doesn't look as smooth or as comfortable throwing the football. I mean, your eyes will tell you everything you need to know.

"It's going to be a decision that Jay Gruden is going to have to make. Right now, Robert Griffin III is his quarterback. Now, if there was a quarterback competition, it wouldn't be a competition. Kirk Cousins would be the man I believe he would have to go to, because of the efficiency with which he has run [the offense]. Now Kirk, like I said, is basically a dropback quarterback. I see Andy Dalton in Cincinnati, I see Kirk Cousins that way."

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Struggled? Is that what they call that "performance"? He simply looked bad.