Revisiting the 2021 Rookie QB’s

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
1yr is too early to make any firm calls on the 2021 rookie QB’s…

But, with one year in the books, we know more now than we did.

What order would you RE-draft them if you were projecting them in order of future stardom?

Here is the original draft order, with 2021 stats below that.
  1. Trevor Lawrence (No. 1 overall)
  2. Zach Wilson (No. 2 overall)
  3. Justin Fields (No. 3 overall)
  4. Trey Lance (No. 10 overall)
  5. Mac Jones (No. 14 overall)
  6. Kyle Trask (No. 64 overall)
  7. Davis Mills (No. 81 overall)
  8. Kellen Mond (No. 84 overall)
9E3C0385-CDF0-4483-8090-6F52400FAE09.png

Lunchbox

Starter
Name
LunchBox
So much of a highly drafted QB's success, or lack of, depends on the degree of suckiness of the team that drafted him.

Mac Jones probably had the best coaching, team and was the most pro ready of the bunch so while he appears to have had the best rookie season, he was also in the most advantageous spot to excel as a rook.

I'd have to wait to see how the teams build around these guys before changing the draft order. That will go a long way in determining their career success or failure.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
I liked Davis Mills in the 2021 draft. Thought he might be the dark horse. He ended up with the 2nd best QB rating among rookies. The kid has a future for sure.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I liked Davis Mills in the 2021 draft. Thought he might be the dark horse. He ended up with the 2nd best QB rating among rookies. The kid has a future for sure.
He's the type of player the Rams need to find in a few yrs. A 2nd or 3rd rounder that slips through the cracks because he comes out too early or is playing for an inferior program etc... A guy that can develop for a few yrs and is capable of stepping in when Stafford is ready to step away or starts to decline rapidly like Big Ben did.

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
IMO you have 2-3 starters over the next 5-8 years out if this group.

Fields and Lance are the question marks. Very athletic guys who will fail is they can’t read defenses. Fields took a hit losing Robinson, Lance has Shanny and 2-3 solid targets (Plus a running game to lean on).

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Lawrence will remain the #1 of this class, he's just too good. Wilson and Jones will be starters for a good bit. The rest of the list will likely be out of the league in a couple years. Fields is was wicked over rated, Lance is a bust pick. The only guy I could see surviving is Mills who played pretty good all things considered, and I could see him having a Colt McCoy/ Case Keenum kind of career, bouncing around the league as a backup making some quality starts in relief

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Feels like the big athletes who can't read for shit need to go round 2 or later. They're all gambles in terms of can you get them where they need to be mentally to handle the NFL game. Sure when they're fresh and young you can milk out first downs using their legs, but at some point they need to win from the pocket at this level. And if not then you need to be ready to invest in a RB who can throw to simplified and schemed reads like Baltimore does, by making that your offensive scheme.

Then again maybe it's worth it to take a shot on one of them in round 1. Just for the off chance you get a Mahomes.

Still too early for that group though. I will say that it's going to be interesting to watch Mills and how he does in Houston. I hope for Lovie's sake that he plays well. Also with the coaching change in Minnesota does that give Mond a chance to compete in year two. For the top guys I figure Lawrence is in for a very nice year two.

Wilson is the guy who really surprised me of the entire group and not in a good way. I watched a few of their games and his performance in his reads was shockingly bad. So just looked like he was mentally overrun by what they had him doing.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I figure Lawrence is in for a very nice year two.

Wilson is the guy who really surprised me of the entire group and not in a good way. I watched a few of their games and his performance in his reads was shockingly bad. So just looked like he was mentally overrun by what they had him doing.

The changes in Jacksonville appear good around Lawrence. Doug Peterson brought in Press Taylor as OC… but he is a rookie OC, I think. Curious how that goes.

Wilson has been a big surprise in a bad way for me too.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
The changes in Jacksonville appear good around Lawrence. Doug Peterson brought in Press Taylor as OC… but he is a rookie OC, I think. Curious how that goes.

Wilson has been a big surprise in a bad way for me too.
The new coaching staff in Jacksonville will do wonders for Trevor Lawrence, there is now an adult in the room.

As to Zach Wilson besides having a smoking mom, I was not impressed and somewhat concerned. In fact, the backup Mike White had the best game at QB for the New York Jets. There are hoping with an improved cast that Wilson will make the jump....We'll See.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
The new coaching staff in Jacksonville will do wonders for Trevor Lawrence, there is now an adult in the room.

As to Zach Wilson besides having a smoking mom, I was not impressed and somewhat concerned. In fact, the backup Mike White had the best game at QB for the New York Jets. There are hoping with an improved cast that Wilson will make the jump....We'll See.

Foles or Wentz? F” Fisher !!! That said maybe I can add Sam Bradford.

The truth is I hate Trevor Lawrence,especially as he was on the sideline with his beautiful hair hugging the douche bag of a HC. He threw him under the bus talking about Trevor’s bachelor party in Vegas. Yeah hated him for sucking up to such a piece of dodo.
—Trevor is real good is the other reason I hate him & he knows it.Not a bad thing for a QB being cocky.

—Never liked Wilson at BYU.His parents being another reasons.Jr year talking about how much he improved & is NFL ready.
-Now with Zach Wilson going to the JETS have his OC get Killed by a Car riding his Bike last summer Sucked!!
Getting drafted by a QB guru & going through OTA’s never helps.Then starting the offense over was not an easy task.

I thought the Niners trading up so far to number 3 was crazy with a deep QB group.Who knows,but it was a deep QB class.

Fields is a question mark I always had.The Bears imo should have waited to trade up.

Mac Jones fell perfect into the Pats hands.They might have traded up?
Still a nice spot.

Mills worked out with Jones & reports were he looked NFL ready.

Don’t know who that Jets other rookie QB was(White?) or where he came from off hand.

IMO I look back at The Rams & always will think having Foles & Case Keenum should have put The Rams in a good position to win NOW!! Todd Gurley had just won rookie offensive player of the year.
Jared Goff took a extra year & Mcvay was a Big reason why.