Report: Pelicans agree to trade Anthony Davis to Lakers

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Leonard may be joining the Lake Show.

Imagine that pairing. There are rumors of this going down right now.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Leonard may be joining the Lake Show.

Imagine that pairing. There are rumors of this going down right now.

I doubt that happens. Leonard wants his payday today, which would require the Davis trade to be officially delayed until the end of July - and I don't know if the Pelicans will do that for the Lakers. Why would they help the Lakers improve their position, when the Pelicans are owed multiple future picks?

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Odds makers immediately made the Lakers favorites for the NBA title next season. Not sure how much of that is the Warriors uncertainty with the injuries and Durant's situation. I looked at the roster and they only have Lebron, Kuzma and Davis pending until the deal becomes official. Along with low level end of the bench type guys. 7 on the current roster.

I would think they have enough to bring in some solid veteran role players. I always felt when you have two superstars you need veteran players who know their roles. Relying on low level unproven players is a risk. They need guys who have experience and can stay healthy. And they need high energy bench players.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Well their looking to bring back DeAngelo which I think would be a good move

Then you gotta bring in those vets who are getting waived - rumor is Carmelo will re-emerge in LA and then bring on guys like JR Smith and Kyle Korver who i mentioned before being vets they can sign. We still have Moe Wagner too but after his little tweet the other day not sure how he’s gonna work in.

I don’t think it will be Island of the Misfit Toys like it was last year - but trying to mimic squads that LeBron won championships with in Cleveland and Miami.

But yeah DeAngelo, LeBron, AD, Kuz, Melo, JR, with (insert Center here)

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Only thing that can keep the Lakers from regaining prominence is if they decide to sign Carmelo Anthony.
As much as I enjoy watching the Lakers lose, I hope for my Laker fan friends that they keep that cancer away....

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Only thing that can keep the Lakers from regaining prominence is if they decide to sign Carmelo Anthony.
As much as I enjoy watching the Lakers lose, I hope for my Laker fan friends that they keep that cancer away....
As an afore mentioned Laker fan friend, I concur.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Anthony Davis trade update: Lakers rework deal with Pelicans to open max salary slot by adding Wizards, report says

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/...ax-salary-slot-by-adding-wizards-report-says/

Just a few weeks prior to the start of NBA free agency, the Los Angeles Lakers and New Orleans Pelicans pulled off what may be the biggest move of the offseason when the Pelicans traded Anthony Davis to the Lakers in exchange for Lonzo Ball, Brandon Ingram, Josh Hart and three first-round picks, including the No. 4 overall pick in this year's draft.

However, that wasn't the final version of the deal. Adrian Wojnarowski of ESPN reported on Thursday that the Lakers have traded Mo Wagner, Isaac Bonga and Jemerrio Jones to the Washington Wizards as part of a reworked trade package with the Pelicans. The Lakers are also sending Washington a 2022 second-round pick as part of the deal, according to Shams Charania of The Athletic. In addition, the Wizards will send the Pelicans $1.1 million as part of the reworked deal, according to Candace Buckner of the Washington Post.

"The Lakers are trading Mo Wagner, Isaac Bonga and Jemerrio Jones to Wizards as part of the Anthony Davis deal with New Orleans, league sources tell @ZachLowe_NBA and me. Deal clears contracts and creates more cap space for free agency."

Making matters even better for the Lakers, they not only cleared the salaries of Wagner, Bonga and Jones, Anthony Davis is also waiving his $4 million trade kicker, which will give the Lakers $32 million in cap space and enable them to sign a free agent to a max deal.

Whether it had any impact on Davis' decision to waive his trade kicker or not, Chris Haynes of Yahoo! Sports is reporting that James has agreed to give up the No. 23 jersey he wore for the Purple and Gold this past season so that Davis can continue to wear the same number he has donned his entire professional career.

Los Angeles has been after Davis for months, ever since he first went public with his trade request back in January -- a move he was fined $50,000 for. The two teams were unable to complete a deal ahead of the trade deadline, though, and in the aftermath, both teams cratered amid what Pelicans head coach Alvin Gentry called the most "toxic" situation he's seen in his three decades in the league.

Trade grades: Lakers become title contenders; Pels give themselves valuable options
Since then, rumors and reports have circulated pretty much nonstop. The Pelicans winning the Draft Lottery last month only made things more interesting, as did the Lakers moving up to grab the No. 4 overall pick. During the past week, things really started to pick up, with both the Lakers and Celtics -- despite concerns that Davis didn't want to play there -- making concerted efforts to complete a deal. According to a report from the New York Times' Marc Stein, the Celtics refused to include Jayson Tatum in the deal, which was a breaking point for the Pelicans.

Thus, the Lakers were able to get things done and secure the second star they've been after to pair with LeBron James. Shortly after the initial deal was agreed upon, LeBron welcomed his new teammate to Los Angeles with a message on Instagram.

Los Angeles gave up a number of talented young players in Ball, Ingram and Hart, as well as three first-round picks, but that's the price you have to pay to acquire one of the best players in the league. They have a number of roster spots to fill in free agency this summer, but they'll hope the star power of LeBron and Davis can get them back into title contention.

According to SportsLine data scientist Stephen Oh's projections, however, they have just a 6.3 percent chance of winning the title next season. Oh projects the Lakers to earn the No. 3 seed in the West next season with 50.6 wins. However, it must be noted that their roster is far from a complete product, and that could change depending on what happens this summer.

As for the Pelicans, they'll now begin their rebuild and will do so with all sorts of young talent. In addition to Ball, Ingram and Hart, they own a top-8 protected in 2021 which becomes unprotected in 2022. Also, the Pelicans also will receive the option to have an unprotected swap in 2023 as well as an unprotected first-round pick in 2024 and an unprotected swap in 2025.

An interesting note on the picks, is that according to ESPN's Ramona Shelburne, the Pelicans "essentially have control of the Lakers draft for the next 7 years" due to various pick swap options.

So we'll see which other max player the Lakers can convince to come, with only 4 other players on the roster currently (James, Kuzma, unofficially Davis, and the unsigned rookie Talen Horton-Tucker)

My understanding is that they have the mid-level exception, but can't use the bi-annual exception. Otherwise, they can sign players to minimum contracts. So depending who gets the 3rd max, sign another starter with the mid-level, and a bunch of minimum players willing to give up a bit of money to be on a championship level roster.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
Please do not give up the max to Russell. Go get your Fox's, your Horry's your Reddick's, Beverly's and Green's and build a dynasty.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I honestly hope - for the Lakers' sake - they right a wrong by getting D'Angelo Russell, especially since he's expressed interest in joining the Lakers.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Please do not give up the max to Russell. Go get your Fox's, your Horry's your Reddick's, Beverly's and Green's and build a dynasty.

The Russell talk was when they didn't have a max. They could sign him, sign somebody for more than the minimum but not cheaply, and then use the mid level on somebody. Now they will try to sign Kawhi - if not him, another impact player, then use the mid level on a fifth starter.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Heh, heard a rumor (no link) that Davis' agreement to waive the $4 million trade kicker is related to both LeBron letting Davis be #23 AND the salary and size of the role that Davis will be getting in Space Jam 2. Hopefully unprovable - who knows how the NBA would react.