Report: Pelicans agree to trade Anthony Davis to Lakers

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Pelicans will send Anthony Davis to the Lakers after all. ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski reports that New Orleans will send the 26-year-old superstar to Los Angeles in exchange for Lonzo Ball, Brandon Ingram, Josh Hart and three first-round picks.

Adrian Wojnarowski

✔@wojespn

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1140023139142971392

The Pelicans have agreed to a deal to trade Anthony Davis to the Lakers for Lonzo Ball, Brandon Ingram, Josh Hart, and three first-round picks – including the No. 4 overall in 2019 Draft, league sources tell ESPN.

3:27 PM - Jun 15, 2019

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1140023139142971392

Davis reportedly wanted to wind up with the Lakers ever since word leaked of his desire to leave New Orleans, the team that drafted him No. 1 overall in 2012. The six-time All-Star shares the same agent as LeBron James, who joined the Lakers via free agency in 2018.

After playing All-NBA-quality basketball for the three months of last season, Davis made it clear to Pelicans management in January that he preferred to play elsewhere. He sat out for over two weeks before returning on a limited basis, averaging just 22 minutes before ultimately sitting out the final seven games of the season.

Marc Stein of The New York Times additionally reports that the Lakers, who will still boast ample cap space after this trade, will now set their sights on signing unrestricted free agent Kemba Walker. The Hornets point guard is coming off his third consecutive All-Star season and first All-NBA (Third Team) campaign. The 29-year-old, who averaged a career-high 25.6 points in 2018-19, has played his entire eight-year career in Charlotte.

Marc Stein

✔@TheSteinLine

https://twitter.com/TheSteinLine/status/1140026897801318400

Kemba Walker will be a top target in free agency for the Lakers after they reached an agreement in principle to trade for Anthony Davis, according to league sources

3:42 PM - Jun 15, 2019

https://twitter.com/TheSteinLine/status/1140026897801318400

The Pelicans will now shift to a new era, one that begins with the No. 1 pick in the 2019 NBA Draft. New Orleans is widely expected to select Duke standout Zion Williamson, who averaged 22.6 points, 8.9 rebounds, 2.1 steals and 1.8 blocks in his lone season with the Blue Devils. He would join a core that now includes two of the Lakers' previous three No. 2 overall picks in Ball and Ingram, as well as veteran guard Jrue Holiday.

The Lakers, meanwhile, managed to complete the deal for Davis without including Kyle Kuzma. The 23-year-old forward, who was taken 27th overall in the 2017 Draft, is coming off a sophomore season in which he averaged 18.7 points on 45.6 percent shooting. He would remain to complete a frontcourt headlined by James and Davis.

Assuming the trade is consummated, its ripple effect will be felt throughout what is assumed to be an active offseason. Boston had long been reported as keen on acquiring Davis. Now that he is no longer available, the Celtics' attention shifts to pending free agent and All-Star point guard Kyrie Irving. Without the prospect of Davis joining the team, Irving will have to decide whether the Celtics' current situation is preferable to other teams that will vie for his services.

So much for the young players (except Kuzma). But at least they got their impact free agent, and hopefully can get one more, along with a bunch of minimum vets.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Good riddance to Ball. Like I said, they should've never traded D'Angelo Russell.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I wasn't crazy about Russell, but I dislike Ball with the huge holes in his game and his crazy father.

I suspect the Pelicans trade him to Chicago, maybe for their first at #7. Earlier in the offseason they supposedly offered that to the Lakers. That would give the Pelicans #1, #4, and #7, along with Ingram and Hart. Oh, and some cap space for a free agent after next season too, iirc.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
I actually agree with Lavar. Horrible move from the Lakers. When healthy, Ingram and Ball will be all stars. Pelinka did not give them enough time to mature into professional players. Both players are still incredibly young. Hart is an under rated 6th man.

On top of that they give up the 4th this year, who will be a solid starter in future years and two future 1st rounders, which should be 2021 and 2023.

New Orleans had nothing to lose. AD didn't want to be there, AD hasn't won shit (playoff appearances?), and got a ton in return.

Guessing Butler may want to come here too. Lakers can potentially be a 3rd to 4th seed, but that's all they've set themselves up for.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
I wish we could have kept all the kids and developed them.

But getting Anthony Davis is huge
So is keeping hold of Kuzma
Never liked Lonzo’s game
GO LAKERS

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Was Ingram going to be healthy AND a consistent impact player before free agency? Possibly, but not a sure thing. Risky to extend him, since if he doesn't become a star, then the Lakers would lose much of their cap room and still not be a championship contender.

Ball does some things very well - and others not so well. Not sure he's somebody to lose sleep over.

The #4 pick has value, of course. Hart isn't bad, but I'm not sure he'll ever be more than a decent player in this league.

The Lakers now have LeBron, Davis, enough cap room to sign another impact player, Kuzma as the 4th man, several interesting young players for backups, and will be a tempting spot for some older players who can still play a bit but who are willing to sign for relatively little for a shot at a championship.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
On a related note - will the Lakers try to buy a 2nd round pick from some team? As of this trade, they don't have any picks - my understanding is that paying millions for a pick doesn't count against the cap or luxury tax. It seems every season a few teams sell 2nd rounders to pick up some money - especially if they already have a bunch of young players.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
Now the reports are saying that Davis won't waive his trade bonus and the Pelicans will finalize the trade on the 6th of July. Looks like the Lakers wont have a Max contract to offer a 3rd star player:headexplosion:

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Now the reports are saying that Davis won't waive his trade bonus and the Pelicans will finalize the trade on the 6th of July. Looks like the Lakers wont have a Max contract to offer a 3rd star player:headexplosion:

This could be a blessing in disguise
They need shooters and role players at this point
JJ Redick anyone?

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
This could be a blessing in disguise
They need shooters and role players at this point
JJ Redick anyone?
that's tough though because a lot of teams will be flowing with tons of cash this free agency period. Teams are going to overpay for average players

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I wasn't a fan of giving up Ingram. I have doubts he'll be a big star, but he coulda been a solid role player with LBJ and AD. To win in the NBA you need two superstars. Then you need the right role players for it. During the Shaq/Kobe years the Lakers did that to perfection. I have no qualms about giving up Ball. I just don't see star material in that kid. And his dad is really a pain. The Pelicans are going to find that out soon if they don't already know it.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
@snackdaddy I'm guessing that NO plans to ship Ball for a SG. Ingram and Russell never had that killer instinct to make themselves dominant NBA players. It wouldn't shock me if both Ball and Ingram are fringe all stars. I can already see Kuz coming along in that regard.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
@snackdaddy I'm guessing that NO plans to ship Ball for a SG. Ingram and Russell never had that killer instinct to make themselves dominant NBA players. It wouldn't shock me if both Ball and Ingram are fringe all stars. I can already see Kuz coming along in that regard.

Ingram reminds me of Lamar Odom. A lot of talent but doesn't have that killer instinct you mentioned to take it to the next level. Ingram will be a solid role player if he lands on a title contender. Odom was with Kobe and Pau Gasol there. Ingram needs to land on a team with some vets who can show him what it takes to win.

I see people saying this make them the favorite for next season. I'm not convinced just yet. Lebron had very little to support him last season. Can they overhaul the roster enough to purge that losing culture? I think they need another fringe all star to go along with LeBron and Davis. Or they need some experienced and steady role players. Guys who've been there. We'll see what they do when free agency hits next month.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Can they overhaul the roster enough to purge that losing culture?

Already done. They have 6 players on the roster currently, 5 returning plus Davis. Three returning really didn't play all that much - hopefully they'll develop. So it's LeBron, Kuzma, Davis, whoever they sign as their sole big free agent, plus likely another under the mid-level exception for the fifth starter, plus a bunch of minimum players. Should be a good starting lineup, but the depth is likely an issue.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Already done. They have 6 players on the roster currently, 5 returning plus Davis. Three returning really didn't play all that much - hopefully they'll develop. So it's LeBron, Kuzma, Davis, whoever they sign as their sole big free agent, plus likely another under the mid-level exception for the fifth starter, plus a bunch of minimum players. Should be a good starting lineup, but the depth is likely an issue.

I want Kyrie. It would be devastating.

Kyrie
Kuzma
LeBron
Davis

Maybe bring back Lopez to play center and fill the roster with affordable guys who can hit their jumpers and knock down 3’s — like a Korver type. Keep Bonga and resign Caruso

I know they won’t make the mistake they did last year when they went island of the misfit toys

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I want Kyrie. It would be devastating.

Kyrie
Kuzma
LeBron
Davis

Maybe bring back Lopez to play center and fill the roster with affordable guys who can hit their jumpers and knock down 3’s — like a Korver type. Keep Bonga and resign Caruso

I know they won’t make the mistake they did last year when they went island of the misfit toys

The Lakers need to find the right player who is both a good fit and willing to gamble on taking a one year contract with an option for less than the max, so the Lakers can sign him. After a season the Lakers could then offer him the 5 year max - I guess that means he needs to be young enough it won't be a disaster in the final seasons.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
Ideally given salary cap issues:

PG: Beverly, Rose, Caruso
SG: D Green, Wes Matthews, Burks
SF: James, Ariza,
PF: Kuzma, Millsap
C: AD, Ed Davis

James and Kuzma can switch between the 3 and 4. Millsap can play C too.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, they have Wagner - who looked okay last season once he got it going. Probably another season until he's a solid role player. Don't know if Bonga ever will be, but he's intriguing at least - and cheap. Both those will be on the roster. I don't think they'll bump them for a vet who won't get playing time.